Sign in to follow this  
Beckham03

Dressage Chit Chat #26

Ill try and send the rain your way but it always seems to go right off the coast due to the jet stream.

Im thinking a horse or deer fly bite. I got bitten on the top of my knee cap a few months ago by a deer fly and it was the size of a silver dollar and hurt for over a week!

I haven't ridden in a week. I rested up before the bar exam and then wanted a few days to decompress before I got on Fessor. Yesterday, Fess came out of the turnout paddock just a little bit off. Today, he's lame. ***sigh*** He is noticeably swollen on the r/h just above his hock, and maybe also a little swollen on the left. Not to mention he bumped his face right near his right eye on Thursday -- fortunately that is healing nicely. He trots out ok going straight, but looks gimpy on a circle. So for now, I'll give him a couple days off. I mixed some horsie aspirin with some grain and gave it to Fessor. Why do they wait until we are short on cash to get hurt or sick? Ah well, if that's the worst thing that happens we'll be fine.

Tracy

I hear ya Tracy! Lucy could have gotten all out of whack back before my injury when I was not at all short on cash. Instead she had to do it last month. Naughty pony! She is also refusing to graze, lest she get too hot or get bitten by a bug. So I am having to pour the alfalfa cubes into her (also refusing hay in any real quantity).

My toe is feeling a bit better, so I am going to try to lunge miss thing tomorrow. I don't want to torture it by riding though, since I need to be able to get into my 4" stylettos in less than 2 weeks.

I have been lurking and doing some quick replies...sorry to be a slacker. Once I get done doing homework, I don't feel like, or have time to catch up. I will try to catch up a little tonight:-)

Shiloh-Man, my anniversary is coming up and I remember what those 2 weeks before the wedding went like. They will fly by!

TracyA-Yay for being done with the bar exam!!

Sylves-The weather has been amazing here too! I can't believe it. Hope you will be back to riding soon!

Shantel-Hope you hear about the job soon!

3Day-Have you ordered a brow band yet? I met the woman that makes then over the weekend. She is very cool and had tons of cool ones there and you could make your own.

Tempi-Busy here too.

Boocoo-Are you going to try a lesson with that other trainer?

Smithereens-I am not going to complain about no new pictures:-)

So, besides lots of homework and keeping up with the horses, last weekend I scribed for my trainer. It poured rain the whole time but was a lot of fun and I learned a lot. I will definitely do it again. It also full filled my volunteer hours for my GMO and I have earned a few awards through them so far. This past weekend my trainer had a few of her horses at a show so I went to watch and help out. That was fun too. This coming weekend I am showing again. I am giving 1-4 a try. I really think he is ready and his scored have been great and climbing at first level all year. He is also doing a lot of second level schooling at home. Shoulder in, haunches in, walk canter walk, and a lot more collection. He can really sit at the canter! Such a good pony!!

Tonight was supposed to be his night off, but the weather was amazing and I had been doing homework all day, so I hopped on him bareback and rode him around the farm and we watched my mom work in her garden:-) I also rode Winston and he was rotten. He still has the best shoulders in and haunches in of any horse I have ridden. I wish his arthritis hadn't set in or I would've known 10 years ago what I know now. He is such a cool old horse and still very spunky.

Have a great week everyone...I am going to be so busy I don't know where to start!

Well it was cooler today, overcast and below 100, but I am so tired of it that I am packing up the horses and moving to Sylves place!! :happy0203:

Beckham, sounds like your horse is really coming along with 2nd level. That's great.

Tracy, how did the bar exam go? When will you have the results?

Shiloh, I can't believe your getting married soon! Woot!

Krazy, I hear ya on the rain. It's either non-existant or flooding.

Beau is gimping on the front leg now. I think he may have a stone bruise! Oie ve'. I am going to get him out in the a.m. and see what he is doing. He may just need to get back to work and get some good circulation going. If he is working ok, I will have a lesson on Fri. with that other trainer, if not, I will have to just wait and see how he is doing next week. I am supposed to ride in a clinic next week.

No riding this week. He is definitely gimping on the left front. I got him out and soaked both front feet, just to be sure and put iodine in them. He was walking better after that. I am going to give him a few days to let that heal. So I have to cancel a trail ride, clinic and lesson.............. again! Argh! Oh well, he will be fine, I am not worried about that. It's just frustrating not to be able to ride.

Boocoo ? Ahh, I was buying cheap little spray bottles. Picked up a big one, and it worked. Course then I got too much in his mane. Oh well. It will be greasy for a little while, but should end up well conditioned!! HA!! Poor Beau. Sounds like he really just didn?t want to work. Sorry to hear about having to cancel the trail ride, lesson and clinic, but at least it isn?t anything serious.

C.S.A. ? Glad to hear Cheese is doing better off the corn oil. HA!! Good luck with that kitten ? they are such terrors when they are little.

ESD ? Yes, I?m starting to adjust to my big boy. We are finally starting to figure each other out which is making things easier. He is a very socially outgoing creature, and things go a lot smoother if I take the time to just play with him for 5 minutes before I try to put him on crossties for grooming, etc. Little things like that. Really just building up that trust bond. Sounds like you and Echo have made great progress!! Congrats!! Hope you get that sore cleared up. Doesn?t sound good. We don?t have anything like that here in the North East.

Shiloh ? Glad to hear Lucy is going evenly and soundly. Sounds like she just needs to be built back up from her time off. Your poor toe!! And right before the wedding!!! Glad to hear it isn?t broken.

Shantel ? Good luck with the job. Hate when you have to make a decision like that, but it does sound like now is the time to get out. Poor Rex!! Hope he heals quickly. OUCH, sounds like something really big bit you!! I agree with you, no happy medium with the rain. We have been getting flooded here as well.

3Day ? I bet that jumping puts a new spark in his flatwork. Cross training is so good for their brains.

Sylves ? Nice truck!! Great pictures of Shannon!! Jag definitely sounds like he could use some hock injections if he was sore from just a walk ride.

KTS ? Glad to hear Riley is feeling better!!

Tracy ? Congrats on completing the bar exam ? GREAT feeling, isn?t it?? Sorry to hear about Fessor. Hopefully he will be back to normal soon.

Beckham ? You have done nothing BUT complain about the lack of new pics!!! Glad to hear you bumped up to 1-4. About time. You needed a more challenging test.

So I rode Lieto 3 days in a row this weekend ? first time I have done that to him, but he handled it well. Definitely tired by the end of Sunday?s ride though. I long lined and rode Friday, then just rode Saturday and Sunday without any lunging or long lining. He was very good. He has been building up to something in the canter work ? getting progressively stickier, and I thought he was just lacking confidence in his canter, on Friday, he threw a perfect flying change from canter to counter canter then a lovely transition to walk. *sigh* I would just like to work on a nice canter for now!! On Saturday it was even stickier, and then he bolted off on me in the canter throwing a half hearted buck in there for good measure. I brought him back to a nice canter and made him keep cantering. Not how he thought that would work out, so his next canter was probably the best canter we have had in weeks. I think he is definitely lacking confidence in his canter because I don?t hold him so high and tight in his neck as he is used to, but ask him to stretch down to my hand and find his own balance, so this worries him and has led him to test me to see if he really HAS to canter.

At any rate, I finally had a lesson with Julie on Sunday. Jack was busy and couldn?t come to take any pics or video ? sorry!!! We are right on track for where we should be though. He is stretching down into the contact very nicely and learning to carry himself instead of being carried. He is swinging through his back and holding a nice steady rhythm. He loses his balance quite frequently, but that is to be expected at his age and level of training. Julie had me ride him MUCH more forward that what I had been riding him, so that was the one real correction that I needed, and then she also had me start him on some sitting trot/walk/sitting trot transitions for the very first time. Up until now, he hasn?t had any sitting trot work done with him at all. All I can say is OMG that horse has a FREAKING HUGE trot!!! I hurt all over. It hurts to even walk today. It hurts to just sit!! Everything hurts. It is a big trot, but I will be able to learn to sit it, but OW!!! I really hurt today.

So some words of wisdom for those with WB babies ? start prepping NOW!!! Trust me, I was in good shape when I had Razzle with GREAT core muscle strength riding solid 2nd/3rd level work. When I sold him, I started taking lessons up GP horses so that I wouldn?t lose my fitness level. I also started working out at a gym doing yoga AND pilates. I know my fitness level is very, very good. At the end of my lesson, I got totally reamed out for not having anywhere near the fitness level and core strength needed to ride a horse with gaits of his caliber, and on a baby horse, it is extremely important to sit as quietly and in sync as possible. Being wiggly and all over their back is NOT acceptable!!! I totally had my butt handed to me on that horse yesterday, and I HAVE BEEN working out A LOT. gaah.gif So Boocoo, Shantel, and whoever else out there has these nice, fancy WB babies ? do yourselves a favor, start prepping NOW!!! The sooner the better. Get yourselves in the best shape possible so that when the time comes to back those big moving animals, you will have the core strength and fitness to ride them the best that you possibly can because those big gaits are not a joke.

~Shelly~

Smithereens, I was really looking forward to pictures of you and Lieto! He is so lovely. You are the perfect person for him, from the sounds of it. So your homework is to get pictures.....SOON!!! :happy0203:

You are right about getting into shape and funny you should mention it, because I have been working on it. I power walk or get on my Elyptical every singe day and also stretch, do ab/core work and pilates type stuff, at least 5 days a week. I told my dh, I really have to stay disciplined, because when I go back to work, it will be so easy to say, oh I'm tired tonight. Nope, ain't gonna happen, to bad, so sad! All I have to do is look at that glorious picture of Bobby and know I better get after it! Thanks so much for the reminder! I need to keep hearing that!

Sylves - A max-out of 95 degrees?!? That sounds so nice? no wonder generic sunscreen works just fine (that's from a FB thing). We were at something like 106 over the weekend. Sounds like a busy weekend with its high and low points. I'll bet you're gearing up for the school year!

KrazyTB - That bite sounds painful! Hope it's getting better!!!

Tracy - Since I'm kind of catching up here I'm wondering if you said how the bar exam went? Hopefully well, and I hope Fessor's doing better.

shiloh - Holy cow, less than two weeks till the wedding!!! I can't wait to hear how it goes! Mine is still coming up, but I have a lot of planning to do. My dad approved a budget for a really nice wedding, then said we could also use part of that towards a nicer/bigger house and scale down the wedding. That sounds awesome to us, so I'm back to the drawing board! Hope to see pics of your wedding! Again, catching up here? what happened to your toe?

Beckham - DANG you're busy! Hang in there? good luck at the show :)

Boocoo - Poor Beau! Who was your clinic supposed to be with? Somebody local? You could still at least audit. I know it's so frustrating not to be able to ride though!

Shelly - WOW! Working with your new boy sounds exhilarating and fun and demanding all at once. I can't even imagine hurting from having such a big trot to sit!!! My little 15hh girl definitely doesn't have those kind of gaits, bless her heart! It sounds like things are going really well though as you are both progressing :)

Boy oh boy, that wound on Echo's jowl turned into an ordeal. I'm still waiting for the biopsy back and hope it shows what the wound came from, because she had some sort of massive allergic reaction like it was a venomous bite. When the vet came on Wednesday she had some swelling and the wound was weepy with some necrotic tissue. The skin on her muzzle was a little chapped, but I thought that could be from a new sunscreen I used. The vet thought maybe not? So in my last post on Thursday I had pointed out the swelling around her eye and thought that new swelling was from flies irritating her eye and it would go down with her fly mask back on. Nope. Long story short, the swelling continues and her whole head ended up swelling up like a balloon and the skin all over started peeling off. NASTY! It appeared to be a reaction to some kind of venom. The swelling is thankfully gone now and most of the peeling is done, although her face is still a bit crusty. I was able to start riding her again yesterday. Sigh? it's been a crazy week.

E.S. sounds more like a spider bite, brown recluse maybe? rather than habronema? Poor girl. Sure hope it is on the mend soon.

I have audited the clinician before. He is sort of local and a very good trainer. The owner of the farm offered for me to ride one of her horses, but I don't see much point in that? I am working and riding Beau on a daily basis, so if I am going to spend the $$, he is the one I want to ride.

Tracy-Isn't that the way things seem to always go? I am lucky with my vet. If I have an emergency she will bill me and let me make payments. She would rather see the horse taken care of properly andand get payments than not doing anything because I am broke.

KTM-That is way to much rain. We just got nailed for like half a day and had flash flooding.Thankfully it is back to the nice sunny weather.

Beckham-Good luck at the show. I've wanted to try scribing.Never done it. I did get a chance to be ring steward at a pleasure show. You get to learn so much.

Boocoo-That sucks about having to cancel everything.Horses like to throw a kink in plans it seems.

Smithereeens-Thanks for the warning. I will keep well away from WBs. LOL. Don't you love when they are naughty but do something more advanced than what you want perfectly.I hope that makes sense. I am into my second beer avd am starting to feel it LOL.

I had a really good ride today. Nothing crazy good. Just less time fighting. Shortened our usual ride time to half. They have the tiniest cross rail set up in the ring. So whenever Cheese started to feel a bit blah I just took her over the crossrail. She gets so happy jumping. As one of my old trainers said"Jumping is a reward for her." I got a really nice balanced canter-trot ransition on her good lead. She got a little on her forehand on her bad lead. I think that will come with more muscles developing. Her warm up canter is so nice. I have to tell myself we need to work and can not just canter around.

After riding Hubby and I went to lunch at a place with good Italian food. I probablt ate to much. Now I am just relaxing and having a couple cold ones before mt nap. Than off to visit my niece and sister.

Boocoo - Yep, the vet thought that if there were habronema in there, they were secondary to something else going on. We have a biopsy and another something-opsy (forget the specific term) because they're checking for the organisms that might be in there (i.e. habronema) as well as the origin of the infection. The vet said that once the wound was there from *whatever* caused it, then the flies may have wasted no time dropping the danged habronema in there before we could get to it and cover the wound. Argh? yeah, brown recluse is one of the ideas of what might have done it to her. I guess sometimes spiders and even scorpions comandeer the shavings and get dropped right into the stalls unbeknownst to the stall cleaners, then the horses lay down and get munched. Yuck.

I agree about the clinic. If I was going to pay for something, I'd want to be on X because I think it would benefit us more.

c.s.a. - YAY for a good ride! Sounds like a "food coma" to me with the Italian food, lol :)

Edited by e.s.dressage

Habronema are nastly little fly larvae that work their way into sores and cause a huge nasty infectious mess. Very hard to heal up.

Lots of chit-chatting!

Beckham- I'm thinking of buying 2 of the browbands. They have great prices and some of the ones I was looking down @ devon last year were so much more pricey. She sent me a ton of pics so I'm still narrowing things down. Glad to hear your are bumping him up! woot!

CSA- Less fighting is a good thing. Jumping is addictive eh?? And to answer your question from aways back. I went schooling @ Round the Bend...and then to Laurel Hill which as last week. Won't ever go back to Round but definately Laurel Hill.

Boocoo- Congrats on your purchase! :) Hope Beau is sound soon!

Shelly- It does indeed. Though now he is like why aren't we galloping like we did just the other day? So the next week is back to his dressage work. So glad that you are having so much fun on your boy! The sitting trot will definately improve from becoming more and more in tuned with your seat and allowing yourself to fully relax on him. The slightest tension in the thigh and knee pops your booty right up and makes sitting so much harder. HA! As I know the feeling from my weekly longe lessons w/ the German instructor yelling "Dontzz close tightenz thighz on thiz horse!"

ES- sending lots of jingles your way that X starts feeling better! How'd your ride go?

The bar exam was hard, exhausting, and I have no idea of how I did. At this point, I don't much care. If I have to take it again in February, so be it. I just want to forget about it and get working again. Results should come back late September or early October. For now, I'm back into the job market. Given the state of the market, I'll look into about anything law or accounting related. If I don't like the job after a couple of years, I can transfer either within the company/firm or to a new company/firm.

Fessor is still a bit off, and still a bit swollen. The plan for now is for a few days off, some walks grazing in the park, and some aspirin. And maybe some cold hosing. If that doesn't work, I'll try a few days of stall rest. If THAT doesn't help or if he looks like he's getting significantly worse at any time, I'll call out the vet for a more thorough (and professional) examination. In the meantime, I have an offer to ride a horse or two of the barn owners. And another boarder is going on vacation, and offered me a ride on her mare while she's gone.

Oh, and boocoo? I have to check, but I think the barn owner's main jumper has the name "bonheur" in his show name. This is the horse she bought the barn for -- how's that for loving a horse!? It would be cool if we have a half brother to your boy at our farm. :)

Have a good week everyone!

Tracy

Boocoo ? You have no idea how much I BEGGED Jack to come with me on Sunday, but he had other things to do, and Nat was working. I?ll keep trying. He will totally different from the pictures/video from my trial of him because he isn?t all locked up in his head and neck any more. He is now reaching forward/down/out to the contact and swinging through his back. I hate to say it, but you and Shantel are in for way more trouble than I am!!! Lieto has big gaits, but compared to the warmbloods I tried out, Lieto?s gaits are easy to sit. He has just enough Andy mixed in to sort of temper the gaits down and make them rideable even though they are still big. Those warmblood gaits though. OMG!!! Enough to knock you right out of the saddle and send you flying. I tried several warmbloods and realized that there was no way I even wanted to try to fight with gaits like that. Just wasn?t worth it. I hope by the time your youngsters are ready to start under saddle, you two are in better condition that I am, because DANG!!!

ES ? We have barely been hitting the mid 80?s here, but it is high humidity, and we are alternating with some killer thundershowers to go with it. The work with Lieto is pretty uncomplicated right now. Lots of straight lines and 20m circles. Just working on forward, rhythm and straight letting him learn his balance. I think the majority of our issues come on the ground. He is so big that just maintaining those ground manners is a challenge!! Sounds like your poor girl is really suffering. Hope the vet gets her sorted out quickly.

c.s.a. ? Sounds like a great ride on Cheese!!

3Day ? Relax?? Are you kidding?? I was hanging on for dear life!! HA!!! Death grip on large 4yo will last for next several years at least ? until such time as he can DEFINITELY be trusted!!! Actually, I usually don?t do too badly when it comes to gripping, but I think I was definitely tense about the canter yesterday because of his bolting episode on Saturday, and then when she asked for the sitting trot, I think I panicked when I felt how big it was, and instead of relaxing into it, I think I probably tried to pull myself into it with my thighs. So between my tension at the canter and pulling myself into the sitting trot, no wonder I am so sore today. I?ll get it figured out, but it really wasn?t a bad attempt for our first sitting trot work. He didn?t suck back, and I wasn?t bouncing a mile out of the saddle!!

~Shelly~

Tracy, that would be interesting if there was a Bonheur horse at your farm. They people I bought my guy from are his owners and they are the ones that imported him from Germany, so unless they bred before that, they would have dealt with the breeders of my colt.

Well Smithereens, I will look forward to learning to sit my guys trot in a few years! Hopefully my equitation has improved a lot by then as will my physical condition and as my trainer always says, if you set the horse up correctly, he will give you a nice place to sit! And I have ridden several WB's before and did not have problems sitting their huge trots, but they were properly connected and up over their backs, so that helps a lot! The beauty of a school master. However, I don't want a schoolmaster, I like bringing them along myself. And as the breeders have testified, their horses have great rideability.

C.S.A. sounds like you had a good ride and a good lunch!

I have been actually organizing my home office. I have hanging files in the file cabinet and labeled them and gone through the drawers. Just have two closets and one more file cabinet to go. I have been wanting to do this for years, but we kept moving. Not going anywhere now, that's for sure.

Jag definitely sounds like he could use some hock injections if he was sore from just a walk ride

lol, Jag was running around like an idiot the day before while out on grass. I figured he would be ouchy the next day :-)

Edited by Sylves

SMithereens, I'll bet you melt into that sitting trot in no time. You were probably a little tense. You felt like you were bouncing a mile out of the saddle, but it probably didn't look like it. One of these days, in the near future, you'll be riding Leito, and, BAM, you'll find a way to sit well. I believe in you! As for Boocoo and Shantel, you guys will "grow up" with your babies, and the strength will improve as the horses improve. As for me, I'll stick with my flat moving TBs, lol! Not too ambitious, I know, but it works for me, lol!

Tempi, hope everything is okay.

Lauren and CSA, I miss jumping! Lucky :-)

ESD, I hope X is on the mend soon.

Shiloh, I hope your toe is better. WHat is the wedding date? August 15th?

I'm taking Shannon to the pool this afternoon! Crossing my fingers to ride Jag later. We're back at walk with some trot- slow and steady, especially with the bone spavin.

Well I was going to try to lunge today, but after a day of walking around minus my special shoe, my toe is really kinda sore. So maybe tomorrow. Its so decent out though for the first time in a week. Lucy has actually managed to remove herself from the shade to go graze.

Shelly, you'll be able to sit his trot eventually. Its just much harder when they are so young and unbalanced. Their legs are everywhere, so there is much less predictability to it.

So the fiance and I are considering moving to WA state at some point in the future. Its just so danged hot here that I feel awful about half the year. Not any time soon of course, but I really like the sound of that area up there that gets some rain, not a ton, and stays between 50 and 75 year-round. Because this is just getting absurd.

Boocoo ? There is a world of difference between a schoolmaster?s trot and a 4yo?s trot, even when the 4yo is connected, through, and swinging with his back, giving you a nice place to sit. Trust me, Lieto was connected and giving me a place to sit yesterday. I have felt him when he is tense and tight, not connected and not giving me a place to sit. It is IMPOSSIBLE to even attempt a sitting trot on him in that case. All this stuff you are going through with Beau right now teaching him to step up and under and really shift his weight to his hind end and carry himself better with more collection ? that is what you, Shantel and I will each have to do with our youngsters to get them from this young, big hard to sit trot to the nicer easier to sit schoolmaster type trot. But you already know that I?m sure. Those first few years when you are starting him and getting him up to 2nd/3rd level, that trot is going to be huge and hard to sit even when he is connected and giving you a nice place to sit. Unless you want to shorten his stride and put him behind your leg, which I know you don?t want to do, then you have to deal with the big gaits until you get to collected work. As for not wanting a schoolmaster, and wanting to bring along a youngster yourself, I agree 100% with you. I have NEVER wanted a schoolmaster. They are great for the occasional lesson here and there to learn things on, but they are not something I would ever want to own for myself. I get my pride/pleasure from bringing a horse along. I definitely wouldn?t want to have anything younger than Lieto though. 4yo is definitely pushing the envelope for me. This is the youngest and greenest I have ever dealt with, and I do have days when I question my sanity, but I?ll get though it. You and Shantel can have the baby babies!!! No thanks!!! That is more work that I need. I have my hands full with a well broken, well started monster!!!!!! I can?t imagine taking on that sort of a challenge.

Sylves ? Yeah, Jag definitely needs some injections. Running around in his field shouldn?t make him sore either. I?m sure both Lieto and I will get stronger. My fitness and core strength will improve, as will his balance and ability to carry himself so that he is able to come through his back even better and more consistently. His trot will get better, but no way around it, it is always going to feel very big until such time as I can start to introduce collection ? and that is well off in our future!!

Shiloh ? Yes, his trot is definitely lacking in predictability right now. He has a fairly good rhythm, but his balance ?bobbles?. He has tiny little losses of balance that make him bobble. They are very small, not big enough that they would even qualify as a stumble, but enough that you feel him just sort of ?bobble? under you, then he catches himself and gets right back to it again. Still fairly frequent, and you just have to let him sort himself out because you don?t want him reliant on you for his balance. Once his balance is better, his trot will be better. WOW ? talk about a cross country move!!! I don?t think you could plan a longer move and still be in the same country.

~Shelly~

Yeah, the only way we could plan a longer move and still be in the states would be to go to Alaska of Hawaii. Neither of which will happen.

I'll have that work cut out for me too with Annie. She's likely going to end up with some huge gaits too. Her daddy is a HUGE mover, and she moves more like him than she does her mother. Especially when she was a little foal. Mir doesn't have a huge trot, but his canter is going to be really difficult to sit. His canter stride is just amazing how big it is. His trot is generally pretty smooth, but I've also not had him really moving out under saddle yet.

And yeah Shelly I know exactly what you mean about the bobbles. Mir does the same thing. He'll be going along all nice and all the sudden a leg is just going sideways or something. Feels like he's drunk. He has gotten a ton better this summer though.

Boocoo, Porter and your colt probably are not related. I asked today -- Porter (Porte Bonheur) is 3/4 belgian warmblood, 1/4 thoroughbred.

Fessor looks better this evening. The swelling is down a bit and he's moving fairly well on the lunge. So we'll try another couple days off, then see what happens with a light ride. Again, unless things decide to get worse instead of better. There's not too much else to report from here!

Tracy

Edited to add -- speaking of sitting big trots... As Fessor is starting to engage his hocks more, his trot is bigger/more powerful and takes more work to sit. I'll get there! One of these days I'll master engaging my core without stiffening my back or locking my hips at the same time. I'm at least starting to relax more into the lengthened canter and transitioning down gently without making Fessor fussy. :)

Edited by TracyA

Shiloh ? Yes, you really don?t know what the trot is going to feel like until you get them really out in front of your leg and moving well and true. Oh yeah, that weird little bobble is exactly what I am talking about. Lieto is so smooth about it that when he is going well, it is very subtle, but still there, just hard to describe really well. I know Boocoo and Beckham have both started horses, so they know that little bobble feeling. Just an odd sensation of them losing their balance, then picking back up again. Worse at the canter where you really have to give them their head to let them find their own balance, but you don?t really have the trust that they have their balance or that they will behave. That?s a tough leap of faith to have to make. Still working on that one, and I can sense that Lieto is working on his trust in me as well. Definitely getting better though.

Tracy ? Glad to hear Fessor is looking better. Keep us posted on his recovery. Hopefully he will heal himself without needing to be seen by a vet.

~Shelly~

Tracy, no they aren't related. My guy's sire is ES Bonheur all Hanoverian. Glad Fessor is feeling better. Sure hope Beau is pretty soon.

Shelly, all I have ever had all my life is young horses. Beau is the oldest horse I ever bought and he was only 5 and fresh off the track. Might as well have been a two year old, or worse! :tongue9: :happy0203: I always backed my own and trained my own horses. For 33 years now! Granted, not for dressage, but Beau is certainly teaching me a lot and I am not at all worried about starting my colt and riding him through his young years. I look forward to it. Youngsters are always so much fun. Not to mention, Beau has a huge trot and I have learned to sit it very well! It certainly wasn't easy in the beginning, he lacked balance and I lacked the proper skills, not to mention his soundness issues, but we have come together very well and I can now sit his huge trot. I do believe the more you ride Lieto, the more you will relax, the more you relax, the easier it will get for you to sit his trot. Babies are definitely a ton of work. I personally love the challenge. They are not for everyone, that's for sure and I may not even back this guy when the time comes. I may send him to my trainer, or to his breeders, we will see when the time comes. That's 3 years away and I will most certainly be a wee bit older by then! :winking: Plus, my guy won't be as big as your guy and I am a lot bigger woman than you are! Even when I am thin! I am 5' 9" tall and big boned, so that helps me out in a pinch! Course I would die for your figure right now!!!!

Shiloh, some areas of WA state get tons and tons of rains. Depends on what area you are going to. Make sure you check it out real good first before you move.

Sylves, hope you are back to riding Jag soon. How was the pool? Did you end up going?

I have a lot of respect for people who can handle the youngsters from baby through the well broken/well started stage!! That is definitely way more than I ever want to have to deal with. Lieto is giving me a run for my money, and he had about as good a start as one could ask for, literally.

How you are proportioned has a lot to do with it as well. I am 5'5", but my height is all in my legs, so when I sit on Lieto, I actually look like I fit on him quite well. In fact, my stirrup length usually rivals that of people much taller than me - though right now, I have significantly shortened them for baby horse!! When people see me ride, they assume I am a lot taller than I actually am. The problem though is that because my height is all in my leg, my torso/core has no height to speak of. That makes it very difficult for me to sit any big moving gaits because I have no height through my core to help me absorb the movement.

People who are long through the midsection, but short through the leg will have an easier time sitting big moving gaits, but they won't have as long of a leg to put on a big barreled horse - which might make it harder for them to stay on in a big spook or buck, etc. So it isn't just height that you have to consider, but also the body proportions as well as not everyone is proportioned evenly.

~Shelly~

Wow, haven't read all the chats, but I just wanted to agree with Shelly about preparing for a sitting trot on big Wbs.

In general, there's nothing quite as unattractive as a fancy, big young horse being shuffled and jog-trotted through first level so the unfit, uncoordinated rider can stay on.

Yoga, running, lifting weights and core work, plus SITTING the trot, when the horse is ready, for long periods of time, not just a few strides here, a minute there. Like 10 minutes at a time.

I went through a spell when I wanted to get my sitting trot really solid before a big name clinic, where I didn't post, AT ALL, beyond the first few minutes of warm up. I'm talking at least 25 minutes of sitting trot per ride with Riley, who I guarantee is one or the biggest movers here, or on Fraiser, who has a nasty bounce to him, or Amore, who needs all the help she can get. Now I prefer to sit, and sometimes feel like I'm losing my position if I post. Oops.

Plus, you will have envious abs. :)

Body style wise, I have an advantage with a long torso and longer legs, but I also have the bad scoliosis that comes with that. It's a crapshoot.

Wow guys. I just read all of that. Unfortunately its 11:22 and I have to get up at 630 for work!

Quickly, I have been working out since I got Rex in March. Doing my treadmill, resistance and biking. My plan is to get into yoga and pilates but Im trying to recover from all this unplanned time off due to my boss getting married and closing the office.

Luckily I can take a yoga class at the gym up the street without being a member for $7 a class. My chiro receptionist is the teacher so I feel comfortable.

But hey, Im down 10 lbs and I feel... more accomplished or whatever now that Im off that YAZ. I feel like I blew up on that BC. Who knows. I know it happens.

Anyways, today was an ok day at work until the end when my boss decided to make a big stink about the air water syringes that go into our outlets to spray water and air into the patients mouth. We have disposible tips for each patient but someone (cough him cough) ordered the wrong ones at one time and they are mixed in, all are white btw.

Well the wrong ones shoot out like a missle when you hit just the air after spraying water. He then proceeds to instruct me on how to "properly place the syringe" and that I must not know how to do it since some are flying off.

Fast forward to the end of that appt and he grabbed the syringe that fell on the floor and puts it into the outlet and sprays air and BOOM off it flies - amazing. OOOH He realizes that the one that is coming off is a different size.

Der. Isnt that what I told him? Im not going to argue with him in front of patients like he chooses to do. Hes just such a child and picks petty fights.

Anyways, long story short, when I left work, I was thinking "you stupid #$%$#%2#$#%$^!"

Just crabby mood. Then I get a VM from my girlfriend who I assisted with at my old office. She said she has someone who really wants to meet me for a job opportunity. So anyways, on the 17th, we have an interview set up for possibly a job here in St Aug and at a way better office. EXCITING.

Anyways.. gotta go blow dry my hair and get to bed.

Night yall