Sign in to follow this  
Beckham03

Dressage Chit Chat #26

I had fun watching the jumpers at an AA show yesterday. I was *planning* on stopping by for a bit today, but spent all afternoon in bed with a migraine instead. At least I got a ride in on Fessor before the headache really established itself. Yuck. I'm still not 100%, but enough better to be up and wondering if I have the energy to do laundry. Maybe after I bring in the evening turnout horses out at the barn -- I can have dinner in the meantime. A former trainer had four horses in the welcome stake, out of thirteen or so competing. So I made myself useful helping bring horses to the warmup area and from the competition arena. :) The weather is supposed to get nasty this weekend (hot and very humid, after a record cool July), so I don't know how much outdoor stuff I'll get done. We have a bd party at the barn tomorrow afternoon, and I want to go see the Grand Prix on Sunday. Other than that, I may hang out in the air conditioning!

Tracy

I hear ya on the nasty weather Tracy, though its been nasty for months here. Tonight is SO freaking humid. Just going out to fly spray and turn out, I am SOAKING wet.

I have such a good baby horse though. He stood without sedation for his stitches (including the numbing shot) and tonight I took his stitches out and he just stood in the cross ties for me. Also his "summer sore" or whatever it is on his belly is looking better and better. Its not draining as much and isnt as big.

We went to the free Jags training game today. It was at 745pm so not to hot. Got to see the new team and see how everyone was looking. It was fun. Then we went and ate downtown and now we are home.

One more week before my vaca! We are going down to Orlando for a week and staying in a 2 bedroom condo - thanks to my aunts time share. Its like over 1500 sq ft, full kitchen, etc. The resort has a huge pool with like 3 water park like slides along with paddle and bumper boats, fishing, putt putt, and various other things to do. And plus its right down the street from Seaworld and Aquatica (their new water park) and Universal.

Randys friend John, who has graduated from Maritime Academy and works with him on the boats, his cousin works for Universal and it looks like we are going to get free tickets to Universal and Islands of Adventure which would be SWEET.

After midnight thirty so Im going to get going - night!

KTS, I totally forgot that you had sold Fraiser. This would be why you're going to lose him in the next two weeks... err.

Shantel, The Florida trip sounds like a blast! The best part is, you won't have to fly just to get there! Have fun!

Okay, so apparently I didn't have a strong enough hold on my summer vacation as my first staff meeting is this Wednesday. And wouldn't you believe it, school is ready to start right about the same time that the truck, trailer, and horse are ready for service! I didn't get to ride much during July, and as Tracy was saying, this July had record low temps. Oh well, the days were enjoyed just the same.

Haha, Shannon is watching classic Winney the Poah, and Poah Bear is singing a song to sedate the bees so that he can get his honey! Oh, I love the classic, and so does Shannon! What fun!

It's nice to be back home. I couldn't sleep while I was in Lincoln at my parent's house, so I slept in today, trying to catch up on some lost sleep. So, with my day already half way over, I need to get going if I want to accomplish anything at all! It would be nice to ride, even if Jag will only get to walk. (My plan is to baby his hocks with easy rides and long warm ups).

On the 17th we're taking Jag to the vet clinic to have his hocks injected!!!! Dr. suggested cortisone shots with the objective to break down the cartilage so that the fusing process occurs sooner... if you recall, we found that Jag has bone spavins in the hocks, and apparently the goal is to get the bones to fuse. Any opinions there?

Edited by Sylves

Shantel, did you use Picnik.com to create the "Layla" pic? If no, how did you do it? I would love to know so that I could use it as a lesson idea for my class!

Sylves, I used Adobe to make the pic. I just layered 2 pictures on top of each other, adjusting the transparency to where I wanted it and then added text. Quite simple thankfully because I dont have a fancy editing program on any of my computers anymore (I had photoshop 7.0 on my last computer that crashed but it was a bootleg version so yeh...).

We went to tractor supply and got a few things and I got a 50lbs salt block and holder. Put it out and the ponys are fighting over it. lol

Our friend John just called and wants to go see G I Joe... so I guess we are doing that later.

Going to relax for a bit and then go feed and wash clothes for tomorrow... bleh on work!

Shantel, I am on the verge of purchasing an Adobe suite that includes Dreamweaver, Flash, and Photoshop!

Haha, now that I know how you made the picture, I see two different dressage areanas, lol! So cool!

:surrender:

Well Rex's belly was healing nicely. I went out tonight to clean it again and noticed a hard, yellow thing in the center of the hole. Pulled it out and instantly knew what it was. It was a kunker, from pythiosis.

What is pythiosis? I thought the same thing though I knew some about it because my girlfriends neighbors horse had it and I was talking to her about it due to Rex having that area on his belly:

Pythiosis

Called swamp cancer, kunkers, Gulf Coast fungus, Florida horse leeches, bursatti, or phycomycosis, equine pythiosis is a subcutaneous (beneath the skin surface) inflammation caused by a fungal organism (Pythium insidiosum) that becomes encysted in damaged skin. It affects animals and people in tropical and subtropical climates and is occasionally seen in the southeastern part of the United States. In horses, spores of the organism probably enter through a lesion in the skin, says Hubert. The spores might be present in a warm water environment such as a swamp or muddy pasture, and they stick to damaged skin or animal hair. The lesions usually occur on the lower legs, lower abdomen or chest, or on the face if the horse is grazing swampy areas. This can be a problem in hurricane areas.

The resulting inflammation appears as a large, fast-growing ulceration characterized by lumps, pus, and raw tissue, and it can be very itchy. The lesions often contain coral-like accumulations of fungus filaments and necrotic inflammatory cells. These clumps are called kunkers. Diagnosis might be difficult.

"It looks a lot like proud flesh, sarcoid, or even a summer sore (inflammation caused by migrating larvae of a parasitic worm), or may be mistaken for certain types of fungal lesions. But the pythiosis lesion grows very fast," says Hubert.

Diagnosis can be made by culturing the kunkers or observing the fungal filaments within them (under a microscope). "Your vet can take a sample of the abnormal tissue and send it to a lab that is equipped to evaluate this type of organism, such as our lab at LSU, where Dr. Amy Grooters (DVM, Dipl. ACVIM), associate professor of veterinary clinical sciences, would try to culture the organism. The earlier it can be recognized and treated, the better,"

he says.

"We recommend a combination of immunotherapy and surgery," says Hubert. "A vaccine has been developed by Leonel Mendoza, PhD, a professor of clinical laboratory science/medical technology at Michigan State University. It's experimental, and a veterinarian must get a USDA permit on a case-by-case basis to use it."

The horse should be vaccinated as soon as diagnosis is made to reduce the size of the lesion so surgical removal is easier and possibly more successful. "When you cut it with a scalpel, you can't see how far the organism has gone into the tissues, so you make a calculated guess of how much to remove," he says. Then the remaining tissue bed is treated with a laser (photoablation) to kill any fungal filaments that might have infiltrated the surrounding tissues. Prognosis is guarded, since the lesion has usually been there awhile by the time it is diagnosed and treated."

In experimental work with the vaccine, Mendoza found that response to immunotherapy is best (cure rate 100%) in horses with lesions that had been present for 15 days or less when treatment begins. No cures were obtained, however, in horses where the lesions had been present for more than two months, says Hubert.

So long story short, he has to have surgery to have it cut out and also have immunotherapy. YAY.

I am calling Peterson & Smith in the morning. My gf's neighbors mare had it for almost 2 months, being diagnosed with various things before they actually caught it. But the surgeon who did it at P & S got it all out and she has made a full recovery. So based off of that article, since he is only 2 weeks into dealing with this, hopefully this wont be very drawn out.

So since I was taking Layla to EMCO on Tuesday to get her hocks done, I am going to have to cancel that as I really do not want to mess around with the pythiosis and I know P & S is *the best* equine hospital, I am going to take them both down there and get Laylas hocks done when I take Rex.

Why is it always the expensive horses that get this? The most expensive thing Ive done for Layla outside of buying her was getting her hocks done and trying to breed her. *knock on wood*

Im stressed.

Going to bed...

Shantel, I am HORRENDOUSLY BURIED under work right now, but I was just browsing through and saw this. POOR REX!!! That sounds positively frightening. I'm not a big fan of any type of surgery. Hopefully it hasn't embedded itself too deeply, and they can get it all out quickly and easily. Hang in there and keep us posted. [Huggy]

~Shelly~

I am busy as well, but Shantel, that is YUCKY:-) So do they take away the area like when they operate on the cat abcesses? I hope you can get it done soon:-)

I have been busy with school and shows. Beckham and I broke 70% at first level this past weekend! When I get caught up I will post videos and pictures!

KTM-All I can think is EWWWWW. I hope it heals wel.

Beck-Congrats. Can't wait for pics.

Shiloh-Almost there. Are you nervous yet?

Best wishes for you Shantel! It's a good thing you've been on top of this. Yes, it is the most expensive horses that always seem to get hurt. As you may remember, it was Chad's expensive dressage prospect that got EPM and later was struck by lightening.... I'm telling ya, from now on buying our horses will no longer require taking out a loan! I'm glad that you're able to get Rex to a good equine hospital to get him all fixed up!

Something to consider is that Rex came from the Northeast where it seems this type of infection is not an issue. He is probably still getting used to the new climate.

Beck, Yey! for getting the 70 % at first level! Sounds like you had a good weekend.

Today is my official last day of summer break. Tomorrow morning we'll have a staff meeting.

Thanks guys. Its pretty gross. I feel so bad for him but apparently it doesnt really hurt, it just itches like crazy.

Beck, I guess it is similar to the cat abscesses except that after they debride the wound, they use cryrogenic (sp) lasers to freeze or burn or however it is the cells much like when removing cancer. They have to go past the first few layers of good tissue to make sure they get it all.

I spoke to my friends neighbor whos mare had it done. Apparently her mares wound was the size of a softball and after it had surgery it was the size of a platter and like 1-2" away from the stomach wall. She said it was the easiest thing to care for after surgery though even though it was big because you just gently clean it with the hose and put SWAT around edges and it heals.

I groomed Rex for like 30 mins tonight because I feel so bad for him. He LOVES to be curried and loved on. He going through another growth spurt again though because he all of a sudden got very narrow and butt high. Even the non horsey hubby noticed how narrow he got.

Crappy day at work and just a crappy day in general. Plus Im PMSing and not having a good time of it... I guess my body is still trying to figure out what is going on now that we are on a diff BC.

Going to bed for now...

Shantel, that totally sucks! Poor Rex! At least you caught it early. Hopefully treatment will be successful.

Well, 2 more days till the wedding! Still not totally ready. My dad was supposed to do a minor alteration to my dress, and he hasn't done it in the two months the dress has been here with him. I just found out this morning. Wonderful. But most everything else seems to be falling into line.

I'm currently mad at myself for not riding right before I came up here though. Here I am hoping that I can get Lucy to third, and I slack off and don't ride because its too hot. I need to just start doing conditioning work once it gets dark. I have enough light around the "hills" to do that. I've just been letting the headaches and the fatigue get to me, so I never make it outside to ride. Its the getting dressed and tacking up that seem like such a chore.

shiloh - Don't be too hard on yourself. When times are most stressful, even things we'd normally love to do can seem like a massive chore. I'm glad that just about everything is coming together for the wedding. I'm sure the dress will be perfectly altered and everything will be wonderful on the big day!!! Third level will be waiting when you get back :)

Shantel - ACK! What's with our horses' nasty wounds lately? That sounds so much worse even than what X had though. I'm glad that at least it's not hurting him, just itching.

Beckham - WOOT! Congrats at breaking 70 at 1st!!! Can't wait to see pics and video!!!

Not too much to report here. Had a horrendous lesson on Sunday. It's not that anything really bad happened; it's just that nothing good did. I rode like poo, X responded, we sucked. Oh well, it's just one bad day! Overall she's been doing great. My fiance's mom is coming into town today and this weekend we're going to go scouting around for wedding reception locations. We have the chapel picked out (a very cool, historic adobe chapel in the desert - think Kill Bill style and you've got it). Now we're just deciding on reception location. We have a few potential spots, including one I love called Hacienda Del Sol - even love the name (Boocoo, bet you know that place!). We'll see... :smilie:

eta - do you guys ever check the farm & garden craigslist listings? I do just to see if there's any super-cheap horsey stuff I might be interested in, although I've never actually bought anything off of there. Anyway, I'm absolutely shocked at the quantity of super-low-priced horses, trailers, etc. on there lately. People are really hurting financially these days. Pretty sad, because you know that means there are a lot of hungry horses out there too.

Edited by e.s.dressage

OK, my ride today was better, although I still feel like we've taken a few steps back in our progress. Why does that happen? This is kind of "funny" too? suddenly we're going better left than right, which is the opposite of before. I wonder if I'm doing something cooky with my body?

A good portion of the people at my barn are headed to Northern Arizona for the Mountain Air Dressage Show. They leave Monday and the show isn't until next weekend, so I think I'm going to have the place to myself quite a bit next week. Good time for me and X to hopefully sort ourselves out a bit!

I hope everybody's having a GREAT Thursday. It's the home stretch of the work week!!!

I'm still hoping to take Fessor to a schooling show, either late this month or next month. Then, the Iowa Dressage Classic is the first weekend of October. I would LOVE to compete first level there, but we'll see what happens. Job hunting is going slower than I'd like, but I'm finding some accounting positions I could walk into and contribute right away. Hopefully I'll get some nibbles soon. I am ready to get back to working for a living! In the meantime, I have a chance to ride a friend's young perch/morgan cross. I may get back into jumping a bit with Eli. We'll see. I am fighting to stay out of bed today... I napped yesterday and did not sleep well last night. I may have to leave the apartment again to avoid the bed. lol

Tracy

ES ? Nice to see Echo in video. She looks great. Lovely arena. Hey, just remember, how would we recognize our good rides if we never had bad rides?? Of course I say this when I have been beating myself up lately over bad rides as well!! Oh yes, I surf Craigslist quite a bit. You never know what you will find on there. Lots of sad hungry horses, and some really good deals on horse tack as well.

Sylves ? I?ve never heard of breaking down the cartilage with cortisone. I always thought the injections were to protect the cartilage?? At any rate, the injections my vet did for Raz were always HA into the joint and then I did IM Adequan to maintain him in between injections. On that same theory that the expensive horses are the ones that always hurt themselves and cost us the most, the minute Jack handed over the money for Lieto and got the bill of sale, he dropped the bill of sale on a fax machine to me, and I dropped the bill of sale on the fax machine to Markel. Lieto is fully insured. I just couldn?t take any chances with a horse that expensive. First horse I have ever bought insurance for!!

Shantel ? How is Rex doing?? When are you taking him to P&S to have the surgery?

Shiloh ? I hope you have a FANTASTIC wedding. We want lots of pictures. I?m sure your dad will have your dress ready in time. August is always my worst month when it comes to migraines. The heat always does me in, so I always cut myself extra slack in the month of August. I do what I have to do to cope and survive the heat. And add on to that your wedding stress, don?t get yourself down. Just survive this month, get through it, and Lucy will be waiting for you when you get back on track. Don?t stress yourself out more with guilt trips.

Tracy ? Good luck with the job hunt. Are you searching for something in the accounting field or something legal?

I have been BURIED under mounds of work recently. Just been insane here. We had to do our quarterly financial filing with the SEC this week. What a pain that was. Glad to be done with that at last. Of course now all the ?that can wait? work has piled up and is no longer waiting. *sigh* REALLY GLAD today is Friday. My motivation level is ZILCH though!!! I am definitely looking forward to getting out of here tonight and going to for a nice ride on Lieto. Hopefully we can find our FORWARD button that was missing on Wednesday night. dead_horse.gif We had a lovely little sucked back ride where he wanted to CLING to the wall for dear life ? as in literally rub me up against the wall, hang on my inside rein, and pretend he didn?t know how to turn anymore. I had a panic fit wondering if I had finally broken him for good. I did manage to sort him out before the end of the ride, but I left the barn feeling pretty low. 3Day and Beckham have both assured me that this is pretty normal, and I have many, many more of these lovely rides to look forward to in the years to come. Great!!! On the one hand, nice to know I haven?t broken him and this is a normal progression for a youngster learning balance, but uggghhh, that was just an unpleasant experience. He wasn?t bad by any stretch of the imagination. He just made me feel HIGHLY incompetent as a rider. gaah.gif

Hope everyone is having a GREAT Friday!! Back to work for me!!!

~Shelly~

Shelly, I am looking at both accounting and legal positions. I am not going to be too picky -- I can always transfer in a year or two. Right now, I need a job and some experience. A one year temp project accounting job might be perfect -- I'll be more marketable in the legal field once I have a license. The economy is a bit scary for job hunting in, so anything I am remotely qualified for I'll send in a resume and see what happens.

I have the chance to ride a friend's young perch/morgan cross on a regular basis. Eli is 5, athletic (though not particularly fit right now), and has a little bit of an ego. Though he can do very basic dressage, he also seems to enjoy jumping. I may get back into jumping a bit with Eli. Of course, that means I'll also be working with his dressage so that we know where his buttons are and speak the same language. lol. I figure that in a year or so we could do the level one jumpers without scaring anyone. He doesn't really start lifting his shoulders out of his normal canter stride until the jumps reach 2'9", but it will take me awhile to get used to reacting fast enough to land and turn for a jump-off course. And we'll need to teach Eli how to adjust his canter stride -- His 17.3Hh self covers a LOT of ground!

Tracy

So much fun.... Eli and I are going to show in the 2'6" schooling jumper classes at a schooling show in two weeks. :happy0203: We have a lot to do in the next couple of weeks. We'll have a lesson together tomorrow. I figure if we jump a couple times a week over between now and then we can get close. We ought to be able to do the first round just fine. I'll have to ride it like an equitation course for now, not too much speed, slightly wider turns. I see a lot of ground poles courses in the next couple of weeks so I can get accustomed to spending time in two point again without straining the "pony". Hopefully I can also take Fessor to the dressage show on the same day (at the same facility) and ride first level tests three and four. Again, a bit of a challenge but it should work out just fine.

Tracy

Boy it has been quiet around here. Well I think I can officially say my trainer has left me. It has been a month since I have heard from her. I have tried to call and email her. So I give up. I think I may go check out a brn close by for lessons.They only do beginner dressage though. More of a hunter/jumper place. Most of the area is hunter/jumper though. My vacation is coming up so I figured I would at least check it out.

Cheese had a week off due to weather, it has beeb wet a lot lateley, and other issues. Well I finally hopped on her yesterday. That horse is never getting a week off(except winter) again. The work part went good. However it took an hour to cool down. For one it was hot and humid Two Cheese was go girl. She just wanted to keep trotting. So lots of small figures at the walk to keep her brain occupied. She eventually cooled off enough to hose down and put her away.

My vacation is next week. Hopefully going to go trail riding. There is a schooling hunter show I may take Cheese to. I can at least get her uut in dressage tack and work on getting her relaxed in the flat classes.

Shiloh-I hope all went well with your wedding and you are now relaxing on your honeymoon.

Tracey-How is the jumping going? Did you go to the show? How is the driving training going with Fessor?

smithereens-Ah the greenies who love the wall. No metter what discipline you are riding the wall is a safe place to be. Safe for the horse not your knees. Love the smiley by the way.

KTM-How is Rex doing?

Wow, so the wedding itself was perfect! Everything went just wonderfully. Of course there was the required family drama, but for the most part I had a lovely week!

And then the husband got a bad cold or allergies or something on our honeymoon :(

But tomorrow we leave for Jacksonville for a couple days at the beach (and some dr appts). So keep your fingers crossed that the tropical storms head a different way and we get some nice dry weather!

Pictures will come later. We have some that people printed, but I haven't gotten any emailed to me yet.

Wow, so the wedding itself was perfect! Everything went just wonderfully.

bananadancing.gifapple.gifclap.gif

Shiloh, I am sooooo happy for you!!! I have been thinking of you, hoping everything went well for you. Sorry to hear that your DH got a cold on your honeymoon. Hope that the weather in Jacksonville is perfect for you. Can't wait to see the pictures.

~Shelly~

shiloh - I was thinking about you last Friday. Im glad it was perfect! Welcome to the WONDERFUL world of marriage. And it looks as if Bill will miss us. Weather is a little crazy right now with lots of clouds and intermiten storms but a good amount of wind so its not totally unbearable.

So sorry I have been a bad chit chatter. So much going on with getting ready to leave for a week along with taking the poneys to the vet.

I got them all loaded (uneventfully as I love my mare and my wonderful baby horse) and got them down there. Freaking pouring rain didnt help but we were right on time.

Layla got her hocks done and Rex is staying the night and will have surgery in the AM. She said it will be like a 15 min surgery so super easy. They will send the section they cut out to histology and find out exactly what it is. But I will pick him up in the afternoon.

Got home arond 415 - left at 1030. I was exhausted so took a little nap. It was weird going to the barn to feed and it just being Layla and Ben. I miss the baby horse!

So anyways, trying to get clothes washed and what not and prep for Orlando while trying to ready the barn for my parents so they can feed the poneys and all.

I have read the posts just no time to reply. I am so sorry again!

Going to go to bed... another long day of hauling tomorrow.

It has been a fun week or so. In among the job search, I've been getting some riding in on both Fessor and Eli. It feels like Fessor and I are making some progress. We still need to work the transition from lengthened gaits to working gaits, but they are getting smoother and the request is getting less noticable. Our upward transitions to the lengthened gaits are getting nice! My biggest challenge right now is.... transitioning from the free walk into the medium walk. I'm not sure what I am doing, but we jig most of the time. I may be 1) tightening somewhere, 2) shifting my pelvis, 3) locking my hips, 4) dropping contact as I go to shorten my reins, 5) any or all of the above, or 6) something completely different. lol. We are *finally* getting something that really does resemble a free walk at home, so that is good. I did have a thought as we were in the wash stall last night. I wonder what would happen if I gently half halted (just abs) right before I went to pick up my reins? Right now, I need to use the word walk to have any chance of still walking once I shorten my reins. I am trying NOT to always go back to work after shortening my reins, often asking him for another free walk just so I am not building in an expectation that shortening the reins means we are going to work in a faster gait right away. Our stretchy trot is still very iffy, but I hope that it will come along in time. I suspect that I am closing my knees against him as I post inhibiting a nice stretch, and if I am not careful I find myself leaning forward instead of holding my body tall.

Eli is coming along nicely. So far, we have been working over ground poles. Last night, we did courses of ground poles. I still trot for lead changes, and haven't gotten quite to the point of seeing if I can cue for the landing lead over the "jumps". We are getting calmer about everything. Last night's courses included bending lines, a one stride in-and-out, and a bounce. :) As long as I remember to sit up, halt halt, and look for the next jump he turns just fine. And if I am soft through my thigh MOST of the time, he comes back nicely from a closed thigh. A strong back and tightened abs help him rate his canter too. Eli likes to know where I am, so we are practicing using a fairly short rein and an auto release over the poles. I think we are about ready to put the poles up to jumps next time we ride. [Yay]

Now, I just need to find (or replace) my black gloves I usually school in and buy a helmet that fits when I tuck my hair up into it. I bought my current helmet when I had hair short enough not to need to do "helmet hair". I can get the hair up under the helmet, but oh the headache! lol. I may have to breakdown and buy something with vents in it to help keep my head cool.

Shiloh, I'm glad to hear that your wedding went well. Congratulations! Shantel, I hope everything goes smoothly for Rex and that you have your baby horse back home soon.

Tracy

Shiloh, I'm sooooo looking forward to pictures!!! Congratulations!

Shantel, Glad that Rex is nearly done with the surgery. Hope all goes well!

Tracy, it sounds like you're moving right ahead in the dressage and H/J stuff! Have fun at the show!

Boocoo, isn't school about to start? Our first day is tomorrow. Me very very sad. Bye bye summer break....

Jag got his hocks injected on Monday. All went VERY well! I plan to hop on him next Monday. I'd ride this weekend, but we're going to Lincoln to watch a dressage clinic. I will meet a dressage rider/x-East Coast eventer (co-owned Rampant Lion with Buck Davidson!); she will participate in the clinic.

School starts tomorrow. I'm hanging onto this last day with an ulta death grip.