Sign in to follow this  
Beckham03

Dressage Chit Chat #26

E.S. I do know Hacienda Del Sol. Lovely place. When is your wedding?

Shiloh, congratulations!!! Can't wait to see pics.

Krazy, have fun in Orlando! Sounds marvelous.

Sylves, I came back to work on Mon. Pretty mellow this week. Then the kids start on this coming Mon. Got my sons schedule. I am excited to have him here with me this year. He is working hard and planning on graduating on the distinguished plan!

Beau finished his 10 days of bute last night. The swelling in the pockets has gone way down, but night before last his ankle was swollen like a wind puff. Almost like the swelling in the pockets lead out into the ankle, if that makes sense? I did a furazin/dmso sweat wrap and it looked a lot better last night. I longed him lightly at the walk & trot. He took off bucking and kicking at first, silly boy. I told him he could not do that, he might hurt himself again. Made him just walk and trot both directions, no canter. He seemed happy and not at all lame. I will longe him again tonight and try to lightly ride him tomorrow and see how he goes.

Congrats Shiloh! You now have an August anniversary too!

KTM-I am glad baby horse is getting his icky all taken care of! Woohoo!

Sylves-Sorry your vacation is over...school is starting back here this week too! I bet you are excited to ride!

I have been a bad chatter:-) I have been very busy. I am looking forward to my 2 week summer break in September! I have one more show in September, then will be done for the year. Here are some proofs from my last show:

http://www.fairfieldphoto.com/photocart/in...ewGallery=17820

Beckham- Great pics! He is sooo handsome :)

Boocoo- Hope you can start riding your boy again. Scotch was guarding himself the last week or 2. He would not collect for me at all.

Shantel- Good luck! Hope Rex is doing well!

I've been discouraged. Main reason why I haven't really been chatting. Scotch has been guarding himself about 2 weeks ago. And he had no desire to collect. Must be his hocks. He went down last Thursday to my vet and got him injected. I now have a much happier pony. Had a lesson w/ Mr. Trainer on Monday. Scotch is feeling fabulous in the bridle. Mr. Trainer said trot work looked great and his canterwork has been the best he's seen out of him so far. Fun...though extremely HOT lesson. Now normally I wear a helmet but Thank god I didn't wear it or I think I would have fainted. Might end up taking him to a show in October and November.

Classes start back up on Monday. ugh. So not ready to go back.

3day, hope you have Scotch figured out. Always something, eh? It has still been ghastly hot here as well! Only good thing about starting back to work, is soon it will be fall, cool down and I will get to go get my colt! :happy0203:

Got back from NYC, and I'm officially caught up with things (minus one or two unresolved issues). Still truck shopping, but the boy's mum lent me her car (I hope) until I find one.

Got to see the ponies for the first time, and hope to be back in the saddle within the next few days.

Showing is up in the air due to, of course, transport.

Congrats Shiloh on the wedding.

Got home 45 mins ago from getting Rex.

They want me to keep him in a stall for a week. I wish they would have told me this before when I asked like last week so I could better prepare.

Dripping blood EVERYWHERE. Its going to drain a lot for a few days. AND I have to bandage with gauze and an Elasticon bandage around his barrel which I have been informed is like taking off a bandaid on a really hairy place x 100000. JOY.

My back and butt are killing me from being in the truck for over 4.5 hrs in the last two days. I still have a ton of clothes to wash, barn to prep for me leaving for a week, crash test in training step dad regarding Rex, thanking the Lord that Jill is coming over to change the bandages for me, and cleaning upstairs.

Tracy ? Make sure when you pick up your contact to go from free walk to medium walk that you don?t ?still your hips?. Your hips have to follow the motion of Fessor?s back. In the free walk, most people will get a good swing going in their hips because they are trying to encourage the horse to really MOVE OUT in the free walk. As soon as they go to pick up the contact and transition back to medium walk, they quiet/still their hips because they are no longer asking the horse to move out in free walk ? no, keep swinging your hips with Fessor?s back. You are just asking his back to swing a little less. Also, make sure that when you pick up the contact, you REALLY follow the motion of his head with your hands, even if you have to exaggerate your hand movement ? even if HE isn?t taking the contact and moving the bit, still move your hands AS IF he were taking the contact and moving the bit. You want the contact to be soft and inviting and not blocking him or hitting him in the mouth. Definitely continue with your practice of alternating between returning to work, or returning to free walk so that Fessor isn?t anticipating and getting tight there as this could simply be him anticipating the return to work rather than you getting tight and blocking him. Another thing you can try ? as you pick up the contact, pat him on the neck with your inside hand. That will get you to give the rein momentarily and give him a small reassurance that all is okay. You want to try to time it just as you are picking him up right before he starts to try to jig to see if you can get him to calm and stay in medium walk without having to revert to voice. The first couple of times you may have to combine pat with voice, then see if you can use just the pat. The pat can be just a small touch to the withers ? something you could do in the show ring.

I don?t know HOW people tuck their hair up under their helmets!!! I could NEVER do that. My hair is WAY past my shoulders, and it would drive me nuts up under my helmet. I just braid it or put it in a pony tail and let it hang down my back. For shows I braid it very similar to the way I do my horse?s mane.

C.S.A. ? Contact your local GMO. They should be able to help you find a trainer in your area. There may even be a trainer that is willing to travel to you. Glad to hear you were finally able to get a ride in on Cheese, but I hear you on uncooperative weather. It has been HOT here, too. I about melted out of the saddle last night. Hopefully you will get some better weather during your upcoming vacation!!!

Sylves ? Glad to hear Jag?s injections went well. Hope he feels like a whole new horse when you hop back on him. Vacation ends ? back to the working world with the rest of us grunts!!!

Shantel ? Have a blast in Orlando. Glad to hear Layla?s injections went smoothly. Poor Rex ? that bandage situation sounds painful!! Good thing Jill is going to take care of it for you while you are in Orlando. Did the vet have any idea what it was that they excised?? What is Rex?s total recovery time looking like at this point? Do they think they got it all, or is there a chance he could relapse?

Boocoo ? I can?t believe Beau is still off. Poor boy!! This is from his running around in the pasture, right?? That seems like forever ago. I know it probably wasn?t, but I have just been so busy, that it seems that way. Hope he is sound and well behaved for you today. When do you get to pick up your new boy??? Are you dying of excitement?? Are you going to pasture him with Beau or keep him separate?? How long of a drive do you have to pick up your boy ? hours and hours, or not too bad??

3Day ? So glad to hear the injections did the trick for Scotch and your lesson went well!!! From the symptoms you were describing, it really did sound like he just needed a ?tune up? on the injections. He was acting exactly the way Razzie used to act when he needed to be redone, and the timing was just right as well. Guess you are just going to have to calendar him in and plan on having him redone on a regular basis like I did with Raz. And trust me, as soon as you start to feel like he is NQR, get him to your vet. If you push it out too long, the recovery time is HORRENDOUS.

Tempi ? Fun trip to NYC??

It has been BRUTALLY hot here. I hate August. It is always the month where I am the sickest (migraine wise), though I am doing okay so far in this heat. I am trying not to push too hard with the riding though. Just taking it easy, but still trying to keep him going at the same time. The dentist came yesterday. He needed it desperately ? not bad enough to need power tools, but he needed a lot of rough edges taken down. The dentist said his teeth were in good shape for a 4yo, just overdue for care. They should have been done back in April by my figuring. A baby really should be done at least every 6 months, and he was last done in September. I asked Julie when the barn was scheduled for the dentist when Lieto first arrived as I was going to schedule an immediate visit, but since the dentist was due so soon, I opted to let Lieto wait for the regular barn schedule rather than make an emergency appointment for him. Jack went out to the barn with me last night to watch me ride. It was soooo hot I only hopped on for about 15 minutes total. He was really good. Nicely forward and reaching for the contact ? almost over tempo in fact. I was able to settle him and steady his pace at times rather than having to push him forward for a change. I?m wondering if the gastroguard and ulcerguard have finally had an effect and made him feel better or if he just REALLY needed his teeth done so badly that he didn?t want to go forward?? Not sure. Perhaps he is just finally getting it and starting to trust me enough to go forward with me. Whatever it is, it was a very pleasant ride last night. Jack said he can see a HUGE, HUGE change in how I handle him both on the ground and in the saddle. Much more confidence, and we work together much better. We are starting to figure each other out. icon_woot.gif

The barn got a new kitten as well ? his name is Bo:

barnkitty.jpg

~Shelly~

Shelly, good call on keeping the motion in the hips. I am not sure if the hips are stiller because I am tensing or because Fessor isn't swinging his back as much, but either way I need to encourage more relaxation and motion in the hips. I got quite a laugh from the trainer last night when I told her that I suddenly thought to try half halting first for the transition. Especially when I mentioned that half halting first really helped! lol. It's amazing what happens when I let the horse know that something is coming. I will try to remember to keep my hands moving with his head and see if it helps. Focusing on not dropping him as I shortened my reins also seemed to help. Mr. Sensitive doesn't like me to drop him and pick him back up -- the resumption of contact can bother him... It's good, he's teaching me to be subtle. He's also teaching me that softness is not the same as an absence, whether I trying to be soft in hand, leg, or seat.

Speaking of the seat, I am getting much better at influencing Fessor's gaits with my seat. I still have to think more than is pretty to transition downward within the gaits (trot and canter only) or to influence the bend in his body. But we are starting to get there. Add that to an increasing willingness to think of half halts to prepare and balance, I think we are *starting* to progress to the awareness I will need to develop for second level. Fessor and I are doing well enough right now that I am hopeful that we will continue progressing. I'll have to remember this the next time I am so frustrated that I think I am wasting our time.

CSA, GMO = group member organization. They are local dressage groups that are affiliated with the US Dressage Federation. You can probably find a link on the USDF website -- look for the map of the regions or a listing of group member organizations. You might find a link to the local dressage groups. At the very least, you should find some contact information.

Tracy

General Member Organization. Its your local dressage club that is a member of the USDF and you get a GMO # so you are kind of a member but not really. At least thats how I understand it.

Shelly, I find out in 7-10 days what exactly was taken out. Depending on that, we will know if it could come back. He has to be in a stall for a week, with the bandage on, and then after that, I have to hose the spot with cold water and place SWAT around it to keep the flies away. I am waiting on the vet to call me back this AM so I can ask more specifics.

Sorry this is short.. I have SO much to do and I slept in until 1030! Im bad but whew I needed it.

Boocoo- Indeed it is. Such is the life of owning Scotch. But he is doing much better thanks :) Yes can't wait for this cool weather. PA humidity is terrible now. I bet you are very excited to get your baby. When do you bring him home?

csa- I know of 2 ladies that are willing to travel to our area and both teach at my barn. One is dressage instructor(Jeanne McDonald's assistant trainer) the other lady is an event rider that has a strong background in dressage. Contact me if you would like their information. :) Hope all is well w/ Cheese.

Shelly- Unfortunately it will be twice a year. UGH. So did not want this expense. At least I get to go and check out my good looking vet too. Only good outcome of this expense. Yup good lesson! Scotch was terrible the day before too. Of course Mr. Trainer wanted to hear about it....he was in his spooking/bolting day. And Scotch was an angel during our lesson. Mr Trainer was like well he certainly has no intentions of being naughty. HAH! I said it always seems that he needs a time of being really fresh. Oh well. Glad that things are progressing well w/ Lieto! And it has been stinking hot lately! So ready for fall

Cute kitten!

Not much else is new. OH I did see Jason Aldean and Keith Urban in concert on Tuesday night! AWESOME time!!! LOVE Keith!!!

I'm starting to do stalls at my barn on Sundays. I need the extra cash right now so my BO asked if I wanted to help out on sundays. Fine by me!

I bought one book so far....hahah and school starts on monday. But at least I leave for the OBX in a few weeks! YAY! Definately need a break!

Here's a pic of the ponyboy

kiss08.jpg

C.S.A. ? No wonder you can?t find a trainer in your area!!! The GMO is your local area group that organizes rated shows per USDF/USEF standards. You may actually have more than one GMO in your area, but there will be least one that covers your area. Depending on how active your GMO is, it will do other things like set up clinics, schooling shows, help organize trainers, etc. If you go to the USDF site, you should be able to figure out what GMO(s) is in your area, and hopefully they will have a website that you can check out. Some even have message boards that you can post on and ask for a good trainer in your area. Members are usually very happy to make suggestions. Your local GMO is a great place to hook up with to find shows and local help in the dressage community.

Tracy ? I always forget to keep my hips swinging with Lieto?s back, and as soon as I shut down, he shuts down and all forward movement DIES!!! When I first get on him, I try to totally relax and FEEL my hips moving with his back. Just let myself swing in rhythm to him, then as I start to pick him up slowly, THE ONLY thing I am thinking about is HIPS, HIPS, HIPS because if I stop for a second, this is the message his walk gets die.gif and the walk shuts down. Once I can keep my hips moving and get my reins on contact, I check to make sure my hands are following the contact EVEN if he isn?t taking the contact yet ? I still move my hands. Lieto has a BIG walk, so my hip/hand movements feel very big to me compared to what they needed to be when I rode Razzle, but I?m sure they still aren?t THAT big ? just feels that way. The most important thing is that you continue to follow the movement. Just keep working on it, Tracy, and don?t get frustrated. This is the hardest part of the move to 2nd level ? learning to ride from your seat and figuring out that sense of feel and timing. You?ll get it, but it does take a lot of time and patience and practice. The only way to really learn it, is to try a thousand times and see what works and see what doesn?t work. You are at the point where no one can tell you what to do. You just have to get there and learn by trial and error.

Shantel ? Ahhh, the waiting is always the most frustrating part!! Hopefully the vet will come back with good news for you, and Rex will heal nice and FAST!! From the sounds of it, I think you needed about a weeks worth of sleep. Driving is exhausting, and towing horses is even worse.

3Day ? Yeah, I had to do Razzie 2x a year as well. It sucked, but he needed it. Just had to figure the cost into his maintenance. At least you get to look at eye candy vet!!!! Love my vet, but she isn?t drool worthy like yours!!! Hey, at least you shared him with me for Lieto?s PPE!!! HA!! Aren?t they always SUPER bad right before something big, like a lesson, clinic or show?? I don?t know about you, but I am ready for this humidity to GO!!!! BLAH!!! I rode at the crack of dawn last Saturday to avoid the heat, then hosed Lieto and turned him out in his field. 10 minutes later I looked out, and he was standing at his gate BEGGING to come in because he was too hot. I can?t believe school is starting up again already. Love that picture of you and Scotch!! Too cute!!

~Shelly~

Sylves, are you surviving? [Question]

Krazy, your life is hectic right now. Hope Rex is ok and you sound like you need that get a way trip! Hope you get some good R & R.

Smithereens, love the kitten. Too cute. I can't tuck my hair up under my helmet either. I usually french braid my hair, then roll the end into one of those bow net thingies for shows. Keeps it nicely out of the way. On Insurance, I actually used to have my horses insured through my auto insurance. It was only a theft and escape policy though. That's all they could cover. I have Beau covered for mortality and major medical/surgical for 4 years now with an equine ins. company and have my new colt covered for mortality right now. Will add the rest later on. It's been 4 weeks today since Beau injured his leg in the pasture, then he had a stone bruise two weeks ago. I longed him Tues. and last night, just walk and trot. Will not canter much tonight when I ride him either. Just a short ride and bring him back a little more each day. Then a lesson on Sept. 7th with a new trainer. Will see how that goes. She is a bit closer. I need that. I should be picking up my new colt the middle of Oct. I will take Beau with me to go get him. That way he will have a big brother to ride home with. Otherwise he might be really scared. It's about a 4 hour drive! I will watch them closely the first couple of days before I pasture them together. Beau is a pretty good baby sitter though, so don't think it will be a problem, but want to be sure first. Glad you had such a good ride on Lieto last night. It does sound like you are starting to get to know each other. I had Beau's teeth done a couple of weeks ago when I took him to the vet. Haven't ridden him yet to see how that makes a difference though. Will find out tonight.

3day, have fun at the Jason & Keith concert. Yeah on Keith!!! He is so talented. Great singer and musician and song writer. I really enjoy his music. He isn't too hard on the eyes either! Great picture of Scotch and you.

It is still disgustingly hot here as well. Soooo tired of the heat. I won't even ride till about 8 tonight. Taking Beau to be shod this weekend and that's about it. Nothing much going on. All the students come back on Monday. It will be crazy for a week or so.

Boocoo ? LOVE those bow net thingies. I either put my hair in a pony tail and use a bow net thing, or French braid it and roll/tuck the end and put an elastic around it to match my horse?s braids. I never insured Raz, though I probably should have. I just didn?t have the money for it. I budgeted it in this time. Lieto has full mortality and major medical/surgical just like Beau. Gives you a peace of mind, but doesn?t protect them unfortunately!! OMG!!! 4 WEEKS?!?! That is a lot longer than I was thinking it was. This must be killing you. Poor Beau. Glad to hear he is finally back on track. That is a long recovery, though in this heat, Beau was probably relieved to not be getting ridden. I don?t know how you people in the south survive. I DID wait until 8pm to ride last night, and I still about died, and I live in the north so I know we are significantly cooler than you are!! It was high 80?s/low 90?s last night when I rode, and who knows what the humidity factor was ? hence the very, very short 15 minute ride. Thankfully our temps are supposed to drop back into the 70?s on Sunday. PHEW!!! Glad to hear you are going to be able to take Beau with you to pick up the little one. 4 hours isn?t too bad, but it will seem like FOREVER to the baby. He will be happy for the company. Lieto had an 8 hour trip, alone, and it was his first time in a trailer as well, but he was significantly older than your boy ? and he still look shell shocked when he arrived. Beau and your new boy will be best buddies by the time you get home.

From what I understand, it is best to have the dentist see your horse every six months, but adult horses can get away annual visits. The youngsters however, really need that every six month appointment because their teeth grow faster ? or something along those lines. Lieto was hitting up against the one year mark, and desperately needed to be redone. Our barn has the dentist out every six months, so he will be on a regular schedule from now on. I never noticed any difference after the dentist visit with Razzle, but that might have just been because we did him so regularly that we never gave his teeth an opportunity to ever get bad. Now I?m wondering if the ride last night was a fluke ? if he was just oddly forward and will revert to his normal lazy self the next ride, or if I?ve really managed to change something, be it the teeth, the ulcer meds finally kicking in (if he even had ulcers), the trust bond kicking in, or perhaps I?ve just beaten him forward enough times that he is finally just GETTING it that he has to go forward, and he is. HA!!! No matter what it is, I am enjoying figuring out the 4yo puzzle!!

~Shelly~

Got to make this quick. Off to work in a few. Thak you everyone who explained what A GMO is. I know of the one. A lady at the barn is a member of the one. I am planning on asking her for a recomendation when I see her.

Sorry, I have to rant. This is also posted on the kids board (which is actually quite fun, really).

I'm annoyed that my parents really like our adult neighbors so when they friend-requested me awhile ago I had to say yes so I didn't offend them.

I'm annoyed that when someone used the word "a-s-s" on my wall they called my parents about it. (My parents, by the way, don't care about that kind of stuff.)

I'm annoyed that I got pressured into doing a office-like job for them even though I warned them the job required computer skills and programs I don't have.

I'm annoyed that they didn't like what I've done already and want it fixed along with double the new work while joking they weren't going to pay me anything.

I'm annoyed that I've got college to get ready for and this is taking up my time when I leave on Monday and have nothing packed.

I'm annoyed that I put "Hannah is overwhelmed." as my facebook status and then these neighbors said "not a good time to talk about ______, hmmm?" on it seriously blending the lines by stalking me.

I'm annoyed that I'm such a pushover that I'm letting them walk all over my life when I have much bigger, more important things to handle.

Good luck to you Sylves!

Dobby, just un-friend them. You don't need that kind of nonsense in your life, especially right now. Surely your parents will understand that??? Bless your heart. I hope they go away.

Smithereens, yes, those bow thingies. That's what I'm talking about. A show bow I call it and then try to say it fast 3 times. [ROTFL] It is ghastly hot here, way hotter than normal. But who knows what normal even is anymore. They say that every year! We folks in the south handle it ok I guess, but when it comes to your New England winters, we are complete wimps! [Crazy] The breeder I bought my colt from said she will not let a weanling leave her farm unless there is a babysitter horse in the trailer with him/her! She really cares about her horses and actually interviews folks before she lets them buy one. Glad I passed the test, cause I am in love with him already! 4 hours won't be to bad and Beau is a good hauler and a great babysitter. They will bond in stalls in the barn for a couple of hours before we load them. Beau was last floated in 2007! He only needs it done about every two years. I have him checked every summer when I take him for his coggins. Last year he didn't need it and even this year, he didn't have any hooks, just a couple of sharp edges and they were still fairly mild. So glad you are enjoying your 4 year old puzzle! They really are a lot of fun, aren't they? I really wish I could see that horse. He is something!!

So I got back on Beau today. First time in just over 4 weeks. He was ready about two weeks ago and then he developed a stone bruise and was head bobbing lame. Back to the Vet. we went. It was not an abscess so we just did two more weeks of rest and bute for 5 days on, two days off, 5 days on. He finished the bute on Mon. and I longed him Tues. and Wed. Lightly longed him tonight so he could remember what a saddle feels like and then got on and went to work walking all over the arena, working on suppling up. He was quite nice actually, just a tad stiff to the left, but he usually is on that side after some time off. I made a real good effort to remember to engage my seat and since I have been doing ab crunches, it was a lot easier and he responded very well. Long torso and zipped it up, kept it light and he was lovely. So we did some rising trot all over the arena, no small circles. Then I asked him for some canter and did some 30 m circles, wanted them large and a few transitions, then a walk break, back to sitting trot for about two minutes and called it a day. We rode for about 20 min. He was very good and no lameness. Hosed him off and rubbed him down, re-wrapped his back leg and put him up. He then got the 2nd half of his dinner and seemed very happy to be back at work. He gives me head hugs, it's the darndest thing. I love that horse I tell ya! I was really quite pleased with how well he worked. You wouldn't guess he had 4 weeks off. Course I didn't ask him for much tonight, just did a real good warm up and called it good! So will ride him again tomorrow and add about 5 min. to the mix each day till we are up to 30 min. Then we can maybe start working on stuff again. I just want to make sure his leg can handle it and not get swollen and sore again.

My son got his schedule, locker and got to meet some teachers today along with all the other freshman. They of course were talked to by the Principal and AP's and what's right and wrong. Hope they all remember! Ha, wishful thinking, I know, but a lot of them really are good kids. It's nice for me to back at the same job for a 2nd year. First time since we left AZ in 04! I was at that district for 6 years. Would have been 10 years this summer, if we were still there. But that's life. I like it here, love my house and arena and my job is stress free for the most part. Couldn't ask for anything more.

Boocoo-Glad Beau is doing better. I can't wait to see new pics of the new guy.

Dobby-I would unfriend them and talk it over with your parents. It sounds like uneeded stress right before school. Some people expect everything for nothing.

Tracy -It is amazing how much one horse can teach you. Especially the sensitive ones.

3Day-I sent you a PM. Cute Scotch pic. I don't know about you but this hunidity is killing me. At least it is suppose to cool off this weekend.

Smithereens-I always equated GMO with local dressage horse club.Betwen work and the horse world there are way to many acronyms.

Cheese got a trim and a reset Wed. So she got Thur. off. Today was way to hot and humid to ride and that was at 7am. Oh well two more night until vacation. Planning on doing some trail riding and possible hunter show. Going to use some time to research trainers. I have tried ARIA. The one trainer I founf I did not like the way her horses looked or the way the barn was run. So I didn't even make it to a lesson. I have tried NSHRA. I have learned theraputic barns only have the horses for beginers and lack communication skills. I have spent a few hours googling local barns. I know I will find something sooner or later. I just need to spend some time looking.

Dobby - Tell your parents you're going to unfriend them and let your parents know you feel uncomfortable with them being that "involved" in your personal life. They're just being a bit creepy IMO.

Boocoo - Glad Beau is doing better! Yes, Hacienda del Sol is amazing but once again we're rethinking the wedding plans a bit. We'll see. The wedding date will be some time before May of next year!

Krazy - How's Rex doing? Ugh, the dripping blood and stall rest you didn't know about sound like no fun. A lady at my barn has a horse who has big lumps on his back and neck that she just had biopsied and they think they're going to have to go in and cut them all out. It doesn't sound like what you have going on, but made me think of Rex. Poor ponies.

3Day - Cute pic!!! Good luck with school starting! Boy do I know about getting discouraged every once in awhile. It happens, and I'm glad you broke through it in your lesson!!!

Sylves - How's Jag doing with his hocks? How's the start of school been?

Shelly - It sounds like you're having quite the fun adventure getting used to your new boy!!! It's nice to have that challenge, and congrats on your great ride the other day and improvements in working together overall! Hang in there with the heat!!! We've been really hot here in Tucson as well - I sometimes hose Echo's major muscle areas off before I ride, besides the saddle area, and hose myself a bit too so that we get the cooling of the water evaporating as we start our ride. It doesn't last long, but it helps on the scorching days!

Beckham - Very pretty pics!

Shiloh - CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! I'm so glad to hear that the wedding went well and I can't wait to see pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yayyyyy for a great experience on your wonderful day [Jump]

So I've decided to try some lessons with the instructor at my new barn. I'd been continuing with my previous instructor but the lady where I board is really, really good and everybody she teaches is droolworthy and fabulous. Of course Echo and I would be at the bottom of that group (by far) and they have very high class horses, but she said she'd be happy to teach us and even gave me the pricing she gives her regular students (a lot of the people at my barn are in full training with her) even though I'd only take one lesson every other week. I am pretty excited and curious to see what happens. She's from Holland and was short listed for their Moscow Olympic team and somehow I'm lucky enough to ride at her home stable now that I've moved! It's going to be interesting seeing her on Echo, as she generally hops on clients horses. Pretty good opportunity for the pony I pulled out of a backyard on her way to auction!!! Ha! :smilie: I was beaming at one point talking with her because she looked at Echo and said "Hey, that's a very nice horse!" Wheeee.... hope she still thinks that after our first lesson, lol

Edited by e.s.dressage

C.S.A. Hope you find a trainer soon. I have gone through that a few times. I always went to my local GMO web site and looked up trainers and then would go audit them teaching. Sounds like that's what you are doing, so hope it works out.

E.S. Let us know how the lesson with the barn trainer turns out. I am trying a new trainer myself in a couple of weeks. Going to leg Beau back up first and the haul to her on the 5th. I went and audited a couple of her lessons a couple of weeks ago and really liked her, plus she will be closer for me. She is a Gold Medalist and a good teacher/instructor and rider. So hope it goes well.

It's Friday! Yeah! Now we are all waiting for the kids to come back on Monday. It will be a crazy week!

Checking in for pictures of Shiloh's wedding. Where are they? It's been a week, yeah? I suppose, she's probably on the honeymoon, lol!

Ah, work isn't so bad! I actually like the way this school year is going so far. Can't ask for better when we have ALL BRAND NEW computers in my computer lab/classroom!

CSA, what prompted you to find a new trainer? I know that your old trainer was having some health related challenges with her SO and that she wasn't too quick to return phone calls. Hope the best for that situation.

ESD, That sounds like a very cool plan- switching to the new trainer! Sounds like a great opportunity!!!

Smithereens, I love the picture of your new kittie! What a cutie!

Eventer, I also love your picture of you kissing Scotch on the nose!

I plan to ride Jag on Monday. Praying that he feels okay. I'm currently in Lincoln with the parents for the weekend, otherwise I think I'd be riding right now!

We took the Subaru in to the dealership in Lincoln this AM to have a leak checked out. It turns out that the two head gaskets are seaping, and we're going to have to have them replaced. Additionally, the Sub is getting enough miles on it that it's time to replace the timing belt. The mechanic gave us the okay to drive the Sub back home and have it worked on in Iowa where the rates are cheaper. Man, this can get rather expensive! We bought the vehicle for $6K last year with 70K some miles on it. This summer we put over a grand into repair work, and we're about to put in another 2 grand (I'll bet) into this month... This summer we paid half of what the vehicle was worth in repair work!

it's an '01 Forester.

Sylves, glad your year is starting out so well. My first week was not so bad either. Should be a good year. Are your students back already? Ours don't come back till Monday.

We had a severe thunderstorm blow through a couple of hours ago. I was in the barn trying to feed before the rain hit. I was looking out the door and heard a loud "CRACK" and watched the entire top 1/2 of a huge old Oak tree fall to the ground. I could have cried. I love my trees.

Took Beau to be shod this a.m. 3rd time she has done him now. We put trailers on the back to give him a little more ankle support, since he strained that left one so bad. He seemed to think it was all right! Didn't get to ride due to the storm, but will try him out tomorrow night.

The honeymoon was officially over today. My hubby had to go back to work :*(

No pics yet though. My camera was not there, and no one else has emailed me pics. There are some tagged on my myspace page, and my MIL printed some for me, but nothing i can post. The photographer's pics should be here in a couple weeks or so though. I should be able to post a link to those.

I did ride both my guys today though. Lucy was good, even got some stretchy canter from her on the right lead. She's just lost so much strength from the bute she was on. Mir was decent, though I need to start riding him with the whip again. I did get some canter from him. I am currently working on getting him to pick up the left lead when we are going left, and I need to figure out how to get him to canter from the inside leg forward and outside leg back. He's just not really getting it. But at least he's not bucking anymore!

Boocoo, I hear ya about the trees. We have 5 big oaks, and I would cry is anything happened to them. They are all about 20 years old, so they are a good size and should have many years left.

Today I also started framing the gap between the shelters so we can finish off the roof. It's pretty difficult to do by myself though. I need another set of hands!

Tempi ? Fun trip to NYC??

Eh. It was a trip. I enjoyed being with my family briefly, it just was busy.

Still playing catch up, got to ride though. Which makes me happy (but not the mare-- who believes her vacation was a permanent one).

We've also begun to pick up the savings for property. We already have a condo in town (where we live currently), but we really want land and I really want to bring my horse home and have a place to train and host things. The little guy can stay where he's at, he's in good hands for now.

Other than that... just playing catch up.

I have been a bad chatter! By the time I get done with homework I don't feel like typing anymore:-) So I just lurk! So I will try to catch up a little here!

Sylves-I hear ya on car repairs. Fortunately, I have a family friend that specializes in Honda's. How is Jag looking after his injections?

ES-Thanks! When do you try out the new trainer?

3Day-Back to class, huh? I am still finishing up Summer quarter, then won't start back until the end of fall. Did you get your browbands?

Smithereens-Poor Barn Kitty #1...

Tempi-Welcome back. Are you going to CDT next month?

Shiloh-Glad you are back to riding. It is hard to get back to real life after the honeymoon!

Boocoo-How old is Bobby now? Summer will be 4 months, so I can kind of gauge his size by hers:-)

KTM-Are you on vacation?

CSA-Good luck on the trainer hunt...aren't you in PA? What larger city are you near.

Things have been plugging along here. We had a hot buggy spell, and now it is downright chilly! I went on a nice trail ride with some friends yesterday and a friend is coming to ride Winston while I ride Beckham tonight. We had a short break from lessons, now we have to start back up this week prepping for the Sept show. He is doing great on his second level schooling and just needs more strength...that will come with time. That will be our last show for the year... I would like to come out doing 2-1 in the spring. I like fall, but really hate what is lurking around the corner!! I actually saw a store with Halloween stuff out. WAY too early!

Well, off to do Yoga...have a great week everyone!!

OK, my post will make the 807th post. Time for a new chit chat thread? Anyone care to create it? If not, I'll do it tomorrow at work. Running out the door right now to get son school supplies. It's tax free weekend.

Real quick, Beckham, Bobby is 3 months and 3 weeks old today. Sounds like you are doing really well with your showing. I hope to come out 2nd level test one this spring also. Don't think I will do it this fall.

DH took pics of the downed Oak tree. I will post them tonight.

Tempi-Welcome back. Are you going to CDT next month?

Want to, depends on transportation. Right now, unless I sprout wings or turn the poor pony into an endurance horse, that would be a negatron. :happy0203: