Sign in to follow this  
Beckham03

Dressage Chit Chat #26

Sylves, that Vet. is right. Bone chips have to be removed surgically, but they are very successful surgeries! Jag will feel a lot better if that is indeed what the problem is. I hope you get the x-rays soon. Just tell Chad, it will end up costing you more $$ in the long run if you have to keep having the Vet. out but you aren't solving the problem for lack of x-rays. To bad about your car. I had a truck do that about 5 years ago. We had just moved from AZ to TN and I couldn't figure out why my honking truck seemed to be having trouble hauling two horses on flat roads, after flying up and down Mtn. roads in AZ all the time. Pretty soon it became obvious and in the shop it went for a new head gasket. The head needed to go to a maching shop to be bored and the owner of the shop called me and asked me if I could take it as he had no courier and he couldn't leave the shop. He said he would knock some $$ off the total bill, so I went and got it and ran it over to a machine shop in Nashville, waited for it and took it back. He definitely made it worth my time $$ wise!! :happy0203:

The sun came out today for a while, and then more rain, but I did get to ride for a while. I have been working on some lateral work, but more on getting her stronger in the canter.

I am having some trouble though. Her canter is still very uneven. The Left lead is nice, soft, and she really likes to collect. I don't have to try to keep her cantering. She doesn't tend to want to go forward as much, but she will if I ask. To the Right though... There is no collection. If I ask, she just trots. She tends to go around with her head up in the air and her back hollowed out, and I have to really drive to keep her going. If I relax and just let her canter, she stops.

Lateral work to the left is nice, but to the right she tenses up and crunches into a little ball and just runs.

I need to lunge her and see if I see any differences there. I know I have been having trouble with my right hip, so I wouldn't doubt if the issue is somewhat mine. The mare has never had any issues with lameness, and has in the past always been pretty even. I know I tend to be grippy on my left rein, but historically that has caused me more issues going left than right. But even when I make a conscious effort to not grip on my left rein, the issue does not get better.

Any ideas on where to start looking for an issue? I have a clinic in 2 weeks so I could always hope for a very uneven day then. It sucks not having an instructor to put up the root of my issues.

Fun day...I found out last week that a lot of people in the neighborhood have been in an uproar about the neighbor's horses and the HS has been called MANY MANY times. Anyway, some people down the road have a feed store and have tried to help the guy out and have also called on him. SO, they have had enough and called again....The HS has had enough, even though they do nothing, and issued him a summons to appear in court and show vet records. The reason I know this is that the guy got the summons and comes over and starts yelling and accusing me. I told him I didn't call, and he says, well so and so says...So I start yelling at him and telling him not to come to my property and call me a liar. By this time my dad and husband made it to the barn and asked what the problem was.

GOOD GRIEF!!! Good thing I wasn't planning on riding tonight. Hubby is not happy with me getting chased by stray dogs and neighbors these days...hauling out for a lesson tomorrow:-)

Beck, oh boy, that does not sound like fun! Thankfully our neighbors get along with us, and the breeding farm just down the road is a decent place, even if they are adding more average Joe QH's to our already overly populated equine world... When I heard the owner say that he was going to send his yearlings to the sale, I had to hold my tongue. At any rate, I hope your neighbor finally gets what he deserves! That really sounds like an aweful situation for those animals and the neighbors.

Shiloh, no suggestions here, except that maybe this is a chiropractic or muscle issue? Do you have an equine massage therapist that could do some work on your mare? Are her hooves balanced okay? Did she get any shots lately? Could it be teeth (one side sharp)? Was something pinching her, like perhaps a wrinkle in the saddle pad? I hope she "straightens out" for you!

The vet stopped by our barn today. He does not think Jag's problem is a bone chip, although he admitted that the only way to find out for sure is to get xrays. The vet suggests that the lump could be an abcess- he suggested hot compresses for a couple days to see if the lump expresses. He suggests that we follow up with some DMSO treatment to see if that takes the swelling down. I kept asking, "Are you sure about this NOT being a bone chip?" Doc kept saying that Jag isn't limping and the bump is obviously on top of the sesamoids.

... ... ... sigh... We'll just have to sit on our butts and see. <rollls eyes> Yes, I could get another vet out, but Chad trusts this particular vet. For some reason, I'm second guessing this vet...

One of these days.... he WILL get xrays.

Well Ive had a lot going on in this last week so sorry I havent been posting much but I have been reading.

Sylves, that really stinks that you dont have an actual answer but if Jagger is eating, drinking, pooping, peeing, temp is good, and isnt obviously lame, I would tend to treat it as suggested and see what happens. Save the $$ for when it is a true emergancy. But it really stinks to have to hurry up and wait. But Im glad he doesnt think its a bone chip.

c.s.a, good luck at the show!!

Beck, I just had to take my Patches into the vet last Friday for an abcess that blew out and they had to cut out a bunch of dead tissue. So I feel for your moms cat. Sorry to hear about the neighbor but obviously people have some reason to keep calling the HS.

Boo, trail ride sounds like a lot of fun. Its a great feeling to just go out and relax and ENJOY riding and not worry about what your left hip and right foot and your dropped right shoulder are doing. lol Enjoy the BBQ.

shiloh, I cant believe with ALL of this rain and this whole system that you guys arent really getting any rain. Because trust me, you can HAVE this rain. It has been literally nonstop raining since Monday, with long long long moments of very strong downpours. The ditches, which are 3' deep, were full, and were coming up over the top of the bottom board on my fence. The front yard was one with the pond again too. Lord knows how long this is going to take to dry up and when I can ride. Of course, this is Florida. Its feast or famin. Dry or soaking wet. No middle ground. I hope you guys get some more rain to try to even out this crazy weather. Oh and with the canter, Layla is very weak to the right because shes having to load the RH which is her bad leg. Exercises we do are: Really support with the inside leg, making sure your outside leg is in canter cue position, half halt with outside rein but making SURE you are REALLY supporting strongly with the inside leg and every stride, h/h, and slow the rhythm of the canter down but the feeling should get more like a pogo stick. Dont worry about where her head is because more than likely at this point its going to be in the air. But you want to focus on what her hindend is doing and getting that springy feeling. And she will probably only be able to do it for 1-2 strides at first. But keep asking until she finally has to trot because its too hard. That way you will know where her stopping point is, and how hard to push in the future. We also really focus on shoulder fore at the canter really getting the inside hind to come up and reach under and push. This is really difficult as well and you will probably only get a few strides. Also, doing the h/hs and then shoulder fore to half of a 10m circle and really getting that pivoting feeling off the inside hind. And lastly, not foregoing the fact that you can have her up and under herself but make absolutely sure that at any moment if you want her down and long and deep, it is available. If you ask for her to go down and out and she wont, then there is no point to try to get her up because shes not being honest. Here are a few pics in sequence of the canter h/h evry stride I mentioned. We started this 3 weeks ago in my lesson and WOW has it made a huge improvement in Laylas canter, esp the right lead.

Just starting and shes struggling but is answering my h/h's by engaging the RH more

MVI_8036_0008.jpg

Two strides later

MVI_8036_0011.jpg

And tada - engaged and pushing and "pogo sticking" canter and shes up and open in the front

MVI_8036_0013.jpg

Hope that helps. I am struggling with the same things you are.

Boy Im sure I left some of you guys out. Im sorry.

So today there was more sun than rain, though when it rained, it poured. lol I was finally able to go to the feed store and get more shavings and spent about 3 hours in the barn doing damage control from all the water. Also, Rex got kicked directly on his right stifle joint and theres a cut. Its not super deep but still. Then he has a big scrape down the back of his left gaskin right above his hock. It just took the hair and first layer of skin off so it kind of looks like leather but those are the kind of scrapes that swell up and look awful. So his left hock is like 5 times bigger than it should be. Hes not lame or anything but Ive been cold hosing it and putting ointment on it.

Somehow Layla is missing both hind shoes. Yesterday when the rain let up, I let the horses out, Layla first, then Rex, then Ben. Layla stopped to eat some scrap hay in the aisle and Rex walked up behind her, and I guess he stepped on her hind feet and pulled both hind shoes. Thats the ONLY thing I can think of because they were both in the aisle about a stride apart and barely bent up and she wasnt running around and they were on there tight. So now I have to get the farrier out before my show on the 31st.

Nothing really planned for the weekend. Id like to try to ride my horse but I dont know how that is going to work out. Tomorrow my mom wants me to go with her shopping to get some jeans. She is going on an Alaskan cruise the first week in June and wants to get a few things for that. Maybe I can pick up a pair or two of jeans myself.

Anyways, its almost 12:30am so Im going to wrap up and hit the hay. Have a good Saturday everyone.

Beck, that sucks! I may not get along with all my neighbors, but at least its not that bad! Some of mine are just kinda snooty and most everyone keeps to themselves.

Sylves, at least the vet thinks its nothing too severe. Hopefully it clears up soon.

The unevenness with Lucy has been going on for a couple weeks. Her hooves are great, teeth were just done recently. I'm sure it could be a chiro or muscle thing, but personally I don't believe much in chiro for horses. The last time I lunged her, maybe 2 weeks ago, I didn't notice her being uneven. That's why I think it could very well be me.

Shantel, we are getting some rain but not like ya'll have been getting up north. We have had about a foot over the past week, maybe a little more. My property drains very well though.

I've been really trying to keep Miss Lucy's head out of the air because when the head goes up, the back gets tight with her. I don't mind so much if she wants to go out, but up and tight like she was doing today is not going to get anywhere. Of course she came out of the gate a bit pissy this morning, I think because she may have gotten some of her filly's dinner last night. She tends to get a bit nutty when she's had any processed feed.

Edited by shiloh04

I finally got back on Fessor today, after almost three weeks off. Though I could feel a bit of tightness in the shoulder, it wasn't any more painful than not riding. That means occasional moments of twinges of tightness and pain, with more periods of not noticing anything. So I think this means I can slowly start getting back into regular work. Fessor was good today! The trainer mentioned he looked tight near the sacrum and near his hind end, so I watched him on the lunge. He was definitely shorter than usual, but was not limping. So we both needed a long, slow, gentle warmup and not too much intensity in the ride. The first half of the ride was alternating lateral work at the walk with free walk. Most of our trot work was posting, again with a fair bit of gentle lateral work mixed in. He felt ok, so we finished with a little bit of canter including the 1-4 shallow cc loop. Our left loop felt good, the right loop needs work. But I noticed I was curling up the right side of my body, so I'm sure it was my mistake rather than Fessor's. Our last (third) attempt was somewhat better as I focused on trying to stretch the right side of my body. That was plenty, since it was a rider error issue and we both needed a fairly low intensity ride. I only rode about half an hour. I'll be trying to slowly build our time over the next couple of weeks until we are back to a normal workout. And if he continues looking stiff, I'll have the massage/chiro person out to have a look at him. I'd prefer to wait until the barn is clear of illnesses if I can do so before calling her out though.

I really want to do some saddle shopping. I have about convinced myself to set a reasonable budget and start looking. It's either a saddle or a high def TV, but the saddle is approaching a need. Our current saddle doesn't quite fit either of us, and the fit is getting worse for Fessor. We'd both benefit from something that truly fits of both. I have a couple ideas from the last time I sent in a wither tracing. I probably ought to do a new tracing, then see what it suggests. I just hate the idea of buying something I haven't sat in before. Ah well, I'll just need to make sure to buy from a place with a trial policy.

Have a good weekend! Enjoy the holiday.

Tracy

Tracy-Ug saddle shopping. I have grown to hate saddle shopping.Glad to hear you made it back in the saddle. Just don't over do it.

Sylves-I hate the wait and see approach. But like KTM said as lond as Jag is otherwise healthyiI wouldn't stress too much.

KTM-The rain sounds awful. Poor Rex. At least it is only minor cuts. Have fun shopping.

Beck-Your neighbor sounds like a piece of work.It is nobodies fault but his own.

The show as ok. It was a theraputic show;. So there was dressage, equitation,trail, jumping, and the freeatyle. First up was the dressage . I had Cheese walking nice until we hit the ring. Then she got all excited and started trotting. The judge's booth was actually a car. That made Cheese take a double look. She was full of herself. So we barely had a free walk. We had a walk and two strides of her free walk. Than she went in to a western pleasure jog. Mind you it is very comfy and it usually takes me a couple seconds to realize that we should be walking instead. Cheese did not take off on the canter transitions. We had downward transition. Just not smooth downwartds. I am happy with the downwards though. A year ago it would have taken us 15m-20m to get the downward. So they are coming along.

My sister is here and wants to go check out the yard sales. I'll finish this later.

So the dressage wasn't terrible and not bad for the first show eith the canter.Trail was fun. The equitation was ok. Less stressful than the open show. One of the reason I stopped showing hunters.The jumping class was suppose to be last but the dressage ring for the freesyle was running late. So I ended up jumping the dressage saddle. That was weird. The musical freestyle was fun. I decided to sit most of the trot. For some reason I am more comfortable with sitting the trot than posting.

I ended up shortening the freewalk because once again Cheese just wanted to jog.We nailed the simple change. She has been doing an auto change before I wanted the change. So that was a big deal. We over shot X at the end. Other than that it was very fun.

It looks like there is going to be a few more clinics this year. I have convinced Hubby to pay for one for a Bday present.I know I can't do the last one because there is already three other things to chose from. I would like to do the other two but I have to wait until we get the car inspected to see how much that is going to be.

Sylves - the vet can't possibly guarantee that it's not a bone chip without taking x-rays, but I think he's giving you his best professional opinion. The hot compress sounds like a good idea to try to get whatever's in there to come out, too. Like my mom always says, money only goes around once so it's best to turn that dollar over in your hands quite a few times before you spend it on something, and make sure it's something good. Since Jag doesn't seem to have much of a problem with that bump, maybe it is best to save that money for something else.

shiloh - I'll bet the clinic will help you figure out what's going on! Also, maybe you could get somebody to take pics of video so that you can see what's happening with your body at the times she's having trouble? That'll help you see how much of it is you and how much might be her.

KrazyTB - Poor Rex! That's also strange about Layla's hind shoes? Strange things happen in the mud and rain. Have a fun weekend with your mom!

Tracy - Saddle shopping is no fun, but having the right saddle for you ad your horse at the end sure is! What saddles are you thinking of so far?

csa - Sounds like overall it was a fun day at the show, even if it wasn't perfect, so that's great!!!

e.s., Fessor is hard to fit. He has tall, TB withers and QH broad back and barrel. A wither tracing a bit over a year ago suggested a medium tree albion or a kn symphonie might clear both his tall, narrow withers and broad barrel. I will probably take another tracing this weekend, then send it out and get some suggestions. It's a risk, because I'll be using money from my parents meant to supplement my savings. Not all of the savings infusion, but still... But the saddle has compressed and no longer sits level, and it is a tad small for me too. It did what I needed it to, which is to get me through school. I cannot tolerate the Bates/Wintec line of saddles -- they just don't fit me. And it doesn't matter anyway, because Fess needs a medium-narrow gullet across his withers and a medium-wide across his barrel. We just sold his custom jumping saddle to an 18Hh, 1400 lb perch/morgan cross, and if anything it has a bit of extra room for him to finish filling out. Fessor is 15.3Hh and 1100 lbs. You wouldn't think his saddle would fit Eli, but it does! :D

Not too much to report from here. I'm measuring closets and bathrooms for organizers, and giving Fessor the day off. The house is being shown today, so I need to spend some time with the febreeze and carpet deoderizer powder.

Tracy

Happy Memorial Day! Enjoy the day, and take some time to remember the original meaning of our day off.

Tracy

Well I rode yesterday, and I took my camera out but didn't end up getting any video, because the mare was much better about the cantering right. I used my half pad, and also really concentrated more on relaxing and less on trying to get my right hip to cooperate. She still did not get as nice a canter to the right as she does to the left, but that's OK. It'll take time.

Tracy, good luck with the saddle search. I hate saddle shopping!

A crazy week that's finally settling down on my end of the world. Mum and baby are doing great, despite getting some poo-poo'ing on the cross and moving to a different barn.

Sinari is steam rolling in the canter again so we're on the mend with it. She's also producing clean changes both directions and building muscle. Need to clean up the canter half pass.

Just busy and need sleep.

Tempi, ignore the poopooing on the cross. You seem to have a very specific idea of what you are breeding for, and put a lot of thought into crossing a good stallion who will complement your good mare(s). It's too soon for anyone to say yay or nay on your little one. Thanks for sharing your pictures of the cute little guy! :D

I'm starting the real work of moving into a new apartment today. Movers are coming to help with the big stuff, and I'm boxing up some of the smaller stuff too. I may have them move a bit more than I initially planned, just to have more moved in to organize. I'll be on the net sporadically for the next few days. But I'm still around.

Yesterday's ride was short. My back/shoulder didn't want to cooperate. I probably should have tried another long slow walk warmup -- next time. By the time I thought of it, I was already tightening up. Fessor was being good, so a ten minute ride won't hurt him any. It will be awhile before I'm up to anything more demanding that training level work though. I'm trying VERY hard not to irritate the shoulder any worse... Another reason to have the movers take care of more than just the big stuff.

Tracy

Tempi, why would anyone give you grief about crossing an Arab mare to a WB stallion? Those crosses are very popular on the Arab circuit, and I have seen some very nice ones.

Traci, good luck with the move!

Tracy- Good luck w/ the saddle shopping. It can be extremely frusterating! Hopefully you'll be able to find something that fits both you and Fessor.

Had a pretty good weekend...minus catching a cold yesterday. Ick! Ponyboy is doing well...along w/ the other 2 mounts I've been riding. Had an awesome jump lesson on Sunday. It was fantastic...minus me overthinking the angled lines. Still great fun! Maybe I can convince the boyfriend to come out and take pics of jump day.

Here is some video stills of Scotch from lesson w/ Mr. Trainer :)

ponyboy012_0001.jpg

ponyboy012_0002.jpg

Hope everyone enjoyed their weekend!

Eventer, you two are looking beautiful!

This has been a LONG weekend. I have family in town, and as expected, there has been some very annoying bickering... I am so darn tired. It was actually a relief to get away from the house and go to school today. Shannon is just wiped out!

My godchild has been riding Jade :-) Jade has been awesome. Of course, I lead the pony. It has been excellent practice for Jade!

I haven't ridden Jaggar in a while. His bump is going down. I haven't trotted him in a couple days, so I'm not sure how we're doing in the soundness department.

The Subaru goes into the shop today. May be head gasket or maybe the transmission. Oh boy!

Have a good week you guys! Good luck with the move Tracy! Don't hurt or over stress the shoulder!

Edited by Sylves

Tracy - Well, sending out a tracing for suggestions doesn't cost anything at least! But having that savings safety net is also so important. I've lived both with and without one and just knowing it's there is such a daily relief when times get tight. Maybe between selling your current saddle and saving up while you research options you'll be able to avoid dipping into savings?

shiloh - Yay for a better canter! Improvement is all we can ask for!!!

3Day - Love the pics! You guys look awesome! Hope your cold is getting better.

Sylves - Sounds like one of those vacation weekends where you end up more tired at the end than at the beginning! Glad to hear Jade's doing so well. Good pony! Good luck with the Subaru. Sheesh, I hate car troubles.

Had a pretty good weekend here. Rode X and my daughter took pics. I can see some improvement in my position as far as it being more consistent throughout the pics, even when X acts up a bit (which is when I used to go back to my old habits more, like I can't concentrate on position and working with her, lol). So that's good, but overall I'm still not where I'd like to be yet. Here's a pic from when we were doing our long and low warmup. Why the heck am I still tipping forward? Oh, and that metal thing at the bottom of the pic is this "merrygoround" type of electric bull they have in the arena that you turn on and it goes in circles bucking for the ropers to rope. It's kinda funny, but really loud when it's going and it scares the poop out of Echo.

trotnew.jpg

So how many of you look at tackoftheday.com every day? I do and love the site. I hardly ever buy anything, but when they have something I need it's usually at a huge savings! But sometimes they have the worst stuff? just looked at it today and was thinking that. The breeches on there today are not flattering in the least, even on their models!

ESD, are you at your new barn? The picture looks very nice, actually. It looks like you're just riding lightly rather than pushing for heavy work!

Hey Sylves! No, still the old barn. The plan is to move this weekend. Yay! Thanks for the compliment on the pic. The thing is, I try to sit deeper and get my seat under me more, and it's still so tough for me. Now I just look like some sort of hybrid hunter/dressage rider. Not quite one, but not quite the other either. Sigh? I'll get there someday I guess, lol!

ETA - Does anybody on here get Practical Horseman? I thought the photos of George Morris demonstrating effective hunter riding were interesting.

Edited by e.s.dressage

ES, I think your saddle is causing the issue with you tipping. You look to have LONG legs, and there just isn't that much room for your thigh. I have the same issue!

Try dropping your stirrups a hole and see if that helps. I know having mine just a hole too short makes it impossible for me to sit in my saddle. And mine is an 18.5". And I am pretty darned thin, just like you are.

So I am freakin sick AGAIN. Fifth time this year I have had a nasty cold or the flu that has started to settle into my throat and chest. And the sucky thing is because of my injury, I don't go too many places, and I don't work, so I am really not in contact with a ton of people. A big day for me is going to TSC AND the grocery. I don't know where I keep catching this stuff.

So I haven't ridden in a couple days. I have a clinic next weekend, and I am leaving for 5 days on Saturday. At least Lucy is out 24/7 so she has to move a lot.

ES, I think your saddle is causing the issue with you tipping. You look to have LONG legs, and there just isn't that much room for your thigh. I have the same issue!

Try dropping your stirrups a hole and see if that helps. I know having mine just a hole too short makes it impossible for me to sit in my saddle. And mine is an 18.5". And I am pretty darned thin, just like you are.

I was thinking the same thing, looking at the pic again, because I'm actually hitting father back on the saddle where it's going to automatically tilt me forward. I'll drop my stirrups for my ride tonight and see if that helps. I think I could have used another 1/2" or so in the saddle, but it was used and such an awesome deal, it fits X really well, and I love it otherwise. I'd be really, really bummed to let it go. If I'm actually *sitting* in the middle of the seat my bony little butt fits in there with room to spare, and I think there's plenty of room for my leg in the flap, so I just have to work it out :)

Hope you get to feeling better soon! It seems like lots of people on here are battling the cold or flu. Yuck!

Edited by e.s.dressage

Echo-I suck at the critiqueing thing. However your boy is a cutie. I am a sucker for grey arabs.

shiloh-I hear you on the getting sick thing. I have had a cold for over a week now. Not fun. I hope you enjoy youy clinic.

Sylves-I hope you are getting some time to relax. Sounds like the weekend was a bit stressful. Sounds like Jade is coming along nicely. I hope Jag is doing better.

3day-Scotch is so cute. You guys look fantastic.

Tracey-Have fun moving. Take it easy on your shoulder.

tempichange-It sounds like you know what you want to get from your program. So don't listen to what others think. If the foals sell it is all the proof you need.

I went to ride a couple days ago. Cheese had gotten a scratch right were the saddle wouldendt. It looked fresh . So I opted to ride bareback. So a lot of walk stop walk transitions. This kind of pissed her off a bit.She did not see the point of standing still. Oh well. Off to work and than ride in the morning.

ESD, just wondering, are you able to scoot forward and sit deep at all gaits? It looks like your leg is maybe pushing your seat back and up (light seat). If you can focus on relaxing your hip so that your angel can open and your thigh can just nicely drop... yeah, easier said than done! I'd be able to do it if only I didn't feel like Jaggar was going to take off. We probably wind each other up, lol!

Shiloh, something must be going around... Miss Shannon is sick again or maybe she's just teething <sigh> and a couple of our family members are down with the flu. I hope you're feeling better soon! Take some zinc!

We had a nice little birthday party for Shannon. A My Little Pony cake, ice cream, pizza, a balloon, a carousel horse, wrapped gifts, a 6 year old horse-crazy cousin, grandparents, mommy and daddy... What more could a two year old ask for?!?! We had a great time!IMG_1155.jpg

Edited by Sylves

Sylves- Thanks!! He has come a long way! And omg what a great pic of the girls! Frame that! How's Jag doing? Set up a vet appt for him?

ES- Thank you too! Colds suck..I sound like a man right now! :( Mare looks lovely! I actually would not suggest putting down your stirrups....I think you are too tight in your hips and holding too much with your thigh. Reason why your seat is actually towards the back of the saddle and the heels being up. Lift your leg away from the saddle and try of thinking it to fall out and down from your hip. I would do this every time you get on and through out your ride! :) What size is the saddle?

CSA- thanks :) He's pretty special! Silly Cheese...no stopping! Hopefully you can get a saddle back on her soon!

c.s.a. - Hopefully Cheese's cut heals soon so you can get back in the saddle! Thanks about X! I also think she's a cutie, but then of course I'm biased!

Sylves - LOVE that pic!!! Sounds like a great party - pony themed!!!! I am able to scoot forward and sit deeper, especially at the walk and sitting trot. I tend to get more forward and light in the canter though, which I'm really working on because that's about the opposite of what I need to be doing with Echo.

3Day - You're spot on with the tight thigh and hip thing. I did drop the stirrups a hole tonight (but my leathers have half holes, so it was just a tad) and my legs felt so much more relaxed. I also focused on getting my butt under me and sitting in the middle of the saddle. I'm going to try to get more pics again soon (my daughter's on summer vacation, so now I can drag her out there more, poor thing!) to see if what I'm feeling is what's in the pic. Thanks for the compliment on Echo :grin: It's a 17" saddle. I'm wishing it was bigger - sigh.

Sylves-Now that is a cool birthday party.The pic is cute.

ES-Good luck with the move this weekend.

Well my allergies are acting up again. So since Cheese's scratch wasn't totally healed and I wasn't in the mood for work, I hopped on bareback for a hacke down the road. The raod is a dead end lined with trees on a slight hill. So Cheese got a little bit of a workout out on the hill.Her ears were pricked forward the whole time. I think she rather enjoyed the break from the ring. I think I am going to skip showing the rest of the year (maybe one more gaming show) and save my money for a couple more clinics. Just focus on the learning aspect for a bit.

I am glad everyone is back to chatting:-) It has been a CRAZY week here with the DH out of town and the massive drama with the people across the road. I have to head out to meet the chiropractor, so I will catch up tonight...Lot's of fun stuff.

Crazy busy here as well.

3day, you and Scotch look awesome!

Sylves, what a precious picture.

C.S.A. sounds like a good show and some good rides. Hope Cheese's scratch has healed up.

E.S. I agree with Shiloh, that saddle seat looks to be too small for you. I bet you would benefit from a 17.5 or even an 18. I am 22" from my hip to my knee, very long legs I have. I use a 19" seat! I love having enough room to be able to move around in the saddle and dropping my stirrups gave me that added extra room as well.

Beckham, can't wait to hear about the neighborhood drama!! [Crazy]

New shoer was out today. She was right on time. I about had a heart attack! She said he could benefit from removing those back shoes to help with the prolapse frogs but we should wait till show season is over and keep shoes on the front. She said by then, he might not need the back shoes off. She put NB shoes on the back and that really changes the point of the break over. Then the toes roll up so as not to be just sticking out there. He looks really good. We hand walked and trotted him and then she told me to go ahead and ride but take it easy so he gets used to the new feel. She said do a lot of walking at first. So after I take my son to his class tonight I will come home and ride him. Too hot right now anyway! The feel look really good and she was very knowledgeable and explained everything in full detail. He was really walking out in his pasture after I turned him out. And no more dragging those back toes. We'll see how it goes. She said it is going to take some time to get his feet looking right, but she said yes, they can be fixed.

Really on the count down now. 6 more days of work and I am done and I was invited to come back and do my job again next year! [shocked] Some people weren't!!!