Sign in to follow this  
Beckham03

Dressage Chit Chat #26

Okay, here I am!!! Let me catch up with everyone first:

Boocoo-Any pics of the new feet? Beckham got his first hind shoes last week, so we had to get used to new feet too! Do the new shoes trail out behind the heel anymore?

ES-Good luck on the move this weekend. I have to agree about your saddle. You are sitting up on the back of it instead of down in it, you are perched. I think if you were able to sit down in it your thighs would go over the thigh blocks since you have such long legs. (Jealous:-) I had to sell a saddle I got a great deal on too...but it was so worth it when I realized how much time I spent struggling with my position. It looks as if your position is throwing X on her forehand too.

Sylves-Glad Shannon had such a great 2nd birthday...she is adorable!

CSA-No problem taking some time off for learning and clinics:-) We all have to spend an adequate amount of time doing so. I feel like I train 9 months out of the year to show 3:-)

3Day-Loved the pictures:-) Glad you got down to Scott's with his busy schedule this time of year!!

Shantel-This is the second time we have had to have this cat operated on, ahg. I took his tube out last night and he is in the house in hating it! I had to drain my little Pete's abscess again tonight too.

Tempi-Any new baby pics??

OKAY, so the DH is out of town this week, so I am busy as all get out. The neighbors down the road have been going all over the neighborhood to try to drum up excitement over the mistreated horses. Problem is, everyone in our neighborhood sucks, and this guy is a bit overzealous...I don't need him stopping by all of the time telling me what is going on because everyone is watching. Yes, it all sucks that bad. The guy should feed his horses, the HS should have done something about it, and I shouldn't feel threatened because anyone is concerned. It really really sucks. So last night there was some sort of fight at that barn and police were involved. Today my friend saw someone with the horses, and I saw the sheriff down there again tonight. I have a constant stomach ache waiting for that guy that owns them, or anyone else, to come back and yell at me. (Even though I am not involved at all...but everyone "accused me" of it before. ) So, I don't know what is going on with the whole thing at this point...I am staying away...it just really really sucks.

Had the chiro out and he did a few minor adjustments on Beckham. Have a lesson tomorrow afternoon. ..then dinner out with some of the girls from the barn on Saturday. My next show is quickly approaching!

I don't have any pics yet of the feet. They don't go past his back heels more, but they fit better. It's kind of hard to explain. She did the trim and then set the shoe way back on the foot more. Nailed it on and then rolled the toe up. She explained that we really need to back his feet up, which I knew and every shoer that did him knew, but nobody ever did it until her. You can see the difference in how much further back the new hail holes are, compared to the old ones. She did say his is landing toe first, which I knew that also. When we were done it was a bit better. She said it will be a good 6 months before we notice a lot of change in how the feet look and that long for his feet go hopefully have more heels. So in the mean time changing the point of the break over will aid in bringing the toe back and the heels up. I rode him tonight and did a lot of walking at first, then rising trot. After a while he actually started stretching and reaching for the bit. He hasn't done that in a while. Then I did some sitting trot, no si or hi, just sitting trot and I did the loops like in first level test one. That always limbers him up real good. He started to offer me some more impulsion on his own when I was doing that, another thing I wasn't getting much of from him lately. My canter work was a bit off balance so I went back to trot, shoer said if he was off bal. at any gait, go back to the lower gait, then back up again. So I went back up and then started doing trot canter transitions. He got better and more relaxed. So lots of improvement in several different areas. I was most thrilled with him want to stretch up over his back for me again. So hopefully, we are on our way to some much needed improvement.

Hope your neighborhood situation settles down soon. How much acreage do you have?

That is great Boocoo! I am sure he feels better. I really like the Natural Balance shoes and have had good luck with them. Sounds like she is on the right track.

We have 13 acres and my parents own the 6 acres that touch it, so we are like a compound...ha ha ha. The guy that doesn't feed the horses is a renter...ahg. I hope this all goes away soon.

I will have to get some pics this weekend. Another thing she said, because the frogs are prolapsed, she doesn't want to bring the shoes back past the end of his heels. The do come back futher though than before and fit better. She said that will restrict the frogs from being able to come down and then push back up into the sole. She did say, if we don't have improvement by Nov. we will take the back shoes off for the winter. That's when show season is done and he can have some time to heal, but I would still ride and take lessons of course. But that will only be if we can't get any improvement otherwise. She said it is going to feel very different to him, so may take a while riding him. Tomorrow I am taking him to a friends ranch to trail ride.

13 acres is nice. And your folks right there. Cool! They can feed for you when your gone. We have 5, but very secluded. It's like living in our own private state park. The only house we can see is the neighbors to the north and that is thru the trees. That's where my arena is and there are hedges planted there along that side of the arena. Once they grow taller we won't be able to see that house anymore either. We can see the property to the west as well, but that is 13 acres and has cows on it. That's all we can see. Their house is on the north end of the property and the only way we can see it is to go all the way down into my bottom pasture and around the backside of my pond. Then I can see their house. But it's probably 8 acres away.

More baby pictures soon, I promise (you guys aren't the only ones!). Since I shoot in RAW, and my iMAC was down for a week, I couldn't process the rest of the baby photos and the ones I took at a larger Thoroughbred farm. I promise to empty my cards out and re-shoot the bugger.

Everyone else is doing alright. The heat finally broke out here and I have a ten horse photo shoot Saturday and Sunday, also have to go to watch the Belmont next week. Such a life...

I wish I couldn't see any of my neighbors. I actually live in a condo three miles away from the farm until we build a house. I have no problems with the people here that I live so close to, yet the rural ones are pains in the butt.

There are 4 houses at the back of my property off a private drive and I only like one of them. The rest are idiots. Pretty much everyone on the road has acreage and horses, so the houses are spread out, but man, what a bunch of yahoos.

Off to get ready for a lesson!

Boocoo - Your property sounds amazing! How awesome to get home at the end of the day and feel like you're entering your own private park :happy0203: It reminds me of some people I met here in Oro Valley that said how much they love living here, and described it as feeling like they're on vacation every day. I don't know why their comment stuck with me, but it makes me smile every once in awhile when I'm driving around, imagining this as a vacation destination, lol. Gotta love the quality of life thing. I think yours sounds perfect!!!

Beckham - 13 acres is just what I had when I lived up in Oregon! Isn't owning that much space amazing? Something to hang onto for sure. I'm really bummed to think my saddle's too small. It probably is, but I have other photos where I'm not at the back like that. I think part of it is just a bad moment in time, but I wanted to show you all to get some ideas on how to fix my position because this group is always so helpful! I totally agree that it's not helping X get off her forehand, and most likely throwing her more onto it. At the same time, we're just starting out on this dressage thing-a-ding! I rode dressage for a few years in college after transitioning out of h/j and fell in love with it, but that was years ago! Once I was finally able to get back into horses and bought Echo seven years ago, I hoped to do some dressage with her but couldn't afford lessons yet, so I trail rode her in dressage gear, lol (and ultimately also got some western tack). Just for the past year we've been taking lessons now, so we're basically intro level at this point. I honestly feel like we're not doing to bad for that level, even if she is still a bit too heavy upfront. We've made huge strides (no pun intended)!

c.s.a. - Ugh, allergies. Hill work is so great! Sounds like a fun little bareback ride :smilie: Ooh, and saving your money for clinics sounds like it could be a great plan. I'm totally looking forward to showing this year, but I would also like a clinic or two if I can manage it. X and I have sooo much to learn!

Well, I'm taking the morning off to go out to the barn and ride, finish packing up my stuff and give Echo a bath to get her all clean for her big move tomorrow. AND, her new bridle arrived! Fingers crossed that it fits :smilie:

Hey ESD, I think you and X are doing great! It will take time and instruction to replace that light, forward seat with a deep, upright seat! Your muscles need to be trained in order to seat deep and tall 100% of the time. My feeling about the size of the saddle is that a bigger saddle will only let your seat "swim" around more, where your current saddle will be more effective in "cupping" your seat right where it should be. I can't ride in anything bigger than a 17 inch, and in fact, I feel best in my 16.5. When I ride in my DH's 17.5, I have WAY too much room behind my seat when I'm sitting closer to the pommel. When I sit in the middle of DH's saddle, I'm too far back, and that sets my leg in front of my. I have a feeling that you and I are built very similar.

Ah, all of the guests are GONE! I know that sounds bad, but I was getting SO tired. Shannon wasn't able to get her naps, Chad and I didn't have time to do our own chores (laundry, daily cleaning, I didn't get to ride Jag, etc). While I LOVED seeing everyone, the bickering between my father and uncle was stressful for everyone, and the fact that Shannon wasn't getting her rest was stressful for Chad and me. One thing I will miss was having my godchild out here! She truly loves the horses. We both lost track of time while messing with Jade. My godchild wasn't phased at all by the dirt, manure, work, etc! She wanted to pinch in with everything, even cleaning the stalls and picking out the feet! I was delighted when her mom announced to me that she was going to send her daughter to a horse camp this summer! I think I'll send money (as b-day, Christmas presents, etc) to help fund her riding lessons! I told her mom that I want to be invited to my godchild's first show/event!

Today is officially my first day of summer break! This evening, when Chad gets back from work, I will resume riding Jaggar!!!! It's almost June, so I can now call that dressage trainer that lives 15 miles away to schedule a lesson! (She had two surgeries this spring, and she said she wouldn't be available for lessons until June...)

Have a wonderful Friday! TGIF!

Edited by Sylves

Sylves, lucky you being off for summer. I have one more week. Hope you get to schedule a lesson soon.

Beckham, when do you think you will start building your house? That will be a fun project and get to design everything just the way you want it.

E.S. yes our property is truly beautiful. The previous owners designed everything so well and the trees are just amazing. Mostly Oak and Cedar. All over 40 ft. tall!! And they fenced it all in, so the dogs can cruise around and our beagle is a happy camper trying to tree tortoises all day long! [ROTFL] As for your saddle, maybe you could try 3day's suggestion. Just sitting on your horse, take your legs out of the stirrups, move them away from the horse's body, then just let them hang, then put them back in the stirrups. Then have someone take a pictures and post it back on here. Make sure you are sitting up totally straight and relaxed, seat bones in contact evenly with the saddle and elbows bent, holding the reins. That will be the easiest way to tell if the saddle is too small. I know a lot of people think the seat size is deteremined by the bum size, but it is actually more based on the length of one's thighs. My legs are very long and I need a 19" seat. Even when I was thinner I needed a 19" seat, due to the length of my legs.

Almost done for the day. Looking forward to another trail ride tomorrow!

Edited by Boocoo

Alrighty, quick update from me:

Amore has been great! The depo has worked well, I've switched her to a no-starch feed, and the test results came back and she was very low in her thyroid (but normal cushing's test). I've just started her on Thyro-l- and she had the best ride of the two and a half years I've owned her. Both half passes, renvers, travers, c-canter, exceptional collected work and shoulder-in, 8 meter circles in true AND in counter canter. Hope she keeps it up!

Riley is wonderful also- had my trainer ride him while I was gone for the week, so I have a whole bunch new stuff to play with. Hoping to debut at 3rd the middle of July.

Fraiser has his spring break while I was gone, and I came back to find a nice popped splint. It was cold yesterday, so I lunged him, and today it was warm and a bit bigger, so it looks like he'll have a few more days off. He's 100% sound, at least.

That's all!

Boocoo-Congrats on getting your job back in the fall! We were ready to start building last year, but the market was so bad, we would have to hold onto our condo for too long. We have changed our minds a little on the plans and are hoping once I get closer to being done with school, the market will get a little better. (And there won't be 100 condos sitting here for sale!)

ES-Good luck with the move today...I can't wait to see the new place!

So, I have decided to send Shelby to the trainer's to be sold. She is trying to move a few around today and has someone that loves her, so she said, just let me take her, and I said fine. I just never feel like riding here and she REALLY needs a job. Hopefully the one girl will buy her as it would be a great home (she would stay with my trainer) and I can continue looking for a young horse. I actually just found one I emailed on. Beckham is doing so well that I really just want to keep focusing on him and that takes a lot of time. I had a WONDERFUL lesson on him yesterday. He is just doing so well and I love my lessons and how much I am learning!

DH is home for a few days, then off again on Monday:( Of course he is tired and brings home laundry. I also need to go to the grocery store and tonight I am going out with the girls from the barn, so it should be a lot of fun!!

Have a great day everyone! The weather here is lovely and we got a little rain, so I don't have to water all of my flowers today!

Beckham- Thanks! Yes Mr. Trainer is EXTREMELY busy. The summer he has the worst schedule...and he leaves for Germany for YH Championships....so I may or may not get down till Sept. I'm hoping that they'll be able to fit me in this month! It is probably for the best that you sell Shelby. I think you are making the right choice and now have time to relax and enjoy Beckham! What does your DH do that makes him travel so much?

ES- good luck w/ the move! Can't wait to see pictures!

Sylves- Is Jag feeling better then? Hope you can schedule a lesson!

Boocoo- You have tortosies??

Finally got to ride! YAY! My bronchitis is under control. Thanks to the magical drug called the Z-pac. Wowzas! Definately worked! Scotch did trot sets out in the field then did flatwork w/ Leo. Both were excellent! These longe lessons that I am taking as helping me in so many ways. Leo has springy trot and today I was like I can sit this trot fairly well now! I'm very happy that I'm taking these lessons...I look forward to them every week! And the instructor is amazing!! I'm thinking of taking Scotch to her since Mr. Trainer will be gone to Europe for a month.

Hope everyone has a good weekend

I am just back from a girls' night out with the ladies I ride with...it was a blast...too many appletini's and I need a nap:)

Shelby made the 10 minute trip fine today and will be back to work on Monday:-)

I am going to doze and watch this "What Not to Wear" with the girl that was Blossom...wow.

Okay, more tomorrow!

Farrier finally came today. Layla had both hinds off since Saturday (believe baby horse stepped on them) and her feet were holding up well until Thursday. By today, she had really knocked off a lot of wall. He was saying that there wasnt much to work with and I wanted to say, Well if you had come on Thursday like you said you would, it wouldnt be an issue! But I didnt.

Anyways, shes got 4 new shoes on and is all groomed and clipped and ready for our little schooling show tomorrow. I am heading down to Ocala for the STRIDE schooling show. Since I missed our GMOs last spring show (I was in PA getting Rex) I decided to do this show to get in one more show before the summer. Its a little bit of a haul (about 2.5 hrs with the trailer) but not too bad.

We are showing 1:1 and 1:2 so nothing crazy but hopefully I can get some video of it and show it to my trainer and have something to work off of over the summer.

Anyways, still a bit of things to do before heading to bed - Ill def post pics if I am able to get them.

Good night.

3Day - Glad you've been having great lessons, and yay for modern medicine making you feel better!

Boocoo - How was your trail ride?

Sylves - How was your ride on Jag? Congrats on Summer break!!! :)

KTS - Sounds like everyhting's going well! Hope Fraiser's little popped splint heals up without any trouble.

Beckham - Mmmmm, appletinis :happy0203:

Well, Echo's all settled in at her new home! She loaded right into the trailer without a moment's hesitation, then unloaded nicely and promptly rolled when I put her in her pen. It was so cute - like she was perfectly happy and comfortable and didn't have a care in the world! So far I met a couple of really nice boarders and got to watch some incredible riding in the arena while I was settling Echo in. There are such amazing horses at this new barn! Echo's neighbor is a huge WB who seems about double her size and is a bit of a bully, but hopefully they'll become friends. I have a lesson tomorrow morning - yay!

Beckham, I know what you mean about houses not selling. That's why we still own our other house and have it rented out. I would rather sell it though. Good plan for Shelby. Hope it all works out.

3day, yes we have tortoises. We have a pond, which was dry all winter and then we got some good spring rains and it is full. Some of these tortoises are huge and some are normal size. We have some turtles as well. We also have tons of deer, all kinds of birds, armadillos and who knows what else. Our beagle keeps the armadillos and squirrels out of here though and that's fine with me. He probably runs off a lot of other critters as well. He is a very busy dog! When he finds a tortoise he stands there baying at it and can't figure out why it doesn't run up the tree! They of course go inside their shell and get all sealed up in there. It's pretty cool.

Hauled over to a friends this afternoon and we went for a trail ride on her property. She has 150 acres and it was so cool. We rode down through the fields, and then into the woods and down by the creek. Both our horses were really walking out. Beau felt really good, much better even than last weeks trail ride. His feet must really be feeling better. I had a super nice, forward springy walk and asked him for some trot once, did a bit of sitting trot and it was so awesome. Hopefully I can get that kind of quality back in the arena. We got back and drank a beer and cleaned stalls and fed horses. It was very pleasant!

I am going to bed. I'm tired and we have church in the a.m. then kayaking in the afternoon. Oh, I saw my trainer at a show this a.m. I was paddock mastering and she said I am loosing weight! [Jump] [Jump] I said I am working on it, so that's good to hear.

You have armadillos??? That would be weird...I think the muskrat in our pond is bad enough:-)

Have to go feed...more later...

KTM-Good luck at your show!

Shantel- Glad your farrier was able to get out! Farriers are quirky aren't they? Good luck at your show! Sure you will do fabulous!

ES- Congrats on your move! glad to hear Echo is settling in nicely! Can't wait to hear how your lesson went! :)

Boocoo- HAHA! Armadillos! I have never met one in person but they certainly look like one of the most interesting creatures! You need to ge a picture of your beagle braying at the tortoise! What's the biggest one you've seen? I love turtles/tortoises and find them such down-to-earth animals. Minus snappers! That's terrific that Beau's hooves are feeling better! So nice when you have a happy horse underneath you! YAY great compliment from the trainer! I bet you look fantastic!

Off to ride and then he boyfriend and I are off on our "date". Haven't seen much recently in the last few weeks as both of our schedules have been so busy. So we have a date night tonight :)

Wow it sounds like everyone has been really busy! My poor little brain can't keep up with who has done what, so sorry if I forget anyone :)

Boocoo, that's great about Beau's hinds. The NB shoes might be just the ticket for him. Backing up that breakover will help a ton, because it will remove the pressure that is pulling those heels forward. What I like about the NB thing, from what I have read, is they shoe based on what the INSIDE of the hoof looks like, so breakover is determined by the joints, not where the toe happens to be.

So I haven't been able to ride in almost a week because of being sick, and now I am in KY until Thursday. I have a clinic on Saturday. I really hope we are working well enough given the time off! I am also going to have my work cut out for me when I get home with painting the supports in the trailer and then putting down the floor. It looks horrible right now with all the missing paint and such, but at least it is all fixed up. It will probably last for another 20 years when FIL is all done with it.

Ha ha, SHiloh, I'll bet our trailer is uglier than your trailer! Have fun at the clinic!

Boocoo, that sounds like a very nice weekend- trail riding, beer with the friend, church, kayaking, etc! I'm hoping to buddy up with some horse people around here so that we could go trail riding too. We have some new "neighbors" about two miles away; they have several horses and some younger kids, as evidenced by the horses grazing in the pasture and the kid toys outside! I'll have to introduce myself. It would be so awesome to have a near-by buddy to go riding with! Have a fun weekend! Let's hope this new farrier can help Beau's feet!

KTM, good luck at the show! 2.5 hours used to be a long haul for me back when I lived in N. VA, but now it seems to be the norm for a schooling show! Glad you got the mare's hind shoes all squared away.

KTS, I am sorry to read about Fraiser's splint. It sounds like you had a fabulous trip to Aruba (H/J board)!

I rode Jag the last two nights. He was very steady and consistent! Chad says that the warmer weather is probably helping him feel better. Plus, Chad's recent trim did wonders! The lump on the fetlock doesn't seem to be an issue. I don't see or feel any unsoundness issues.

Chad and Shannon are both sick. I'm a bit concerned about Chad with his fever and all.

I have to go into town to do some things for VBS while Shannon naps. It's a pretty day; I'd love to ride again today, but I don't want to leave Shannon with Chad for two hours.

I spoke with the dressage instructor; she will be able to give me a "lesson" next weekend. She says that she is burned out from working full time as a teacher at the HS and being the Power of Attorney for three relatives who all died in the last two years. She just got back from a short trip to SD to close on her deceased mother's house. She says that she wants to "help" me out instead of giving me lessons. I guess I might have a riding buddy afterall!

E.S. So glad to hear Echo settled right in in her new barn. How was your lesson today?

KTM, hope your show went well???? Where are the pics?

Beckham, yep Armadillos, this is Texas after all! I can do without them. I think they are hideous. My dh and son like them though. I am very glad the Beagle agrees with me that they should not be on his property!!! [ROTFL] This morning though, a deer was right up at Beau's pasture gate. He went to go check it out and they were looking at each other and the darned beagle ran him off! I wish he'd been in his kennel so Beau could check the deer out longer.

3day, yes a picture would be good. This a.m. the beagle had a tortoise in his mouth at the back door. He was to big for him to hurt him though and he was all sealed up inside his shell. My DH took him to the pond. Some of the tortoises I have seen are as big as a bucket. They are huge. The one this a.m. fit in my hand, but he was tall! I'll try and remember a picture next time the beagle is baying at a tortoise. Hope you had a good date with your bf!!!

Shiloh, that is interesting about the NB shoes. Beau was really walking out last night on the trail ride. More so than last weeks trail ride, before his feet had been done. Hope you are feeling better.

Sylves, hope Chad and Shannon are on the mend. Glad you got to get in a couple of rides. Hope your dressage instructor/friend is able to help you out soon. Sounds like a good plan.

We went kayaking today after church. It took about two hours and was so pleasant and relaxing. We love getting out on the water. Need to get to bed now and get ready for this last week of school!

Ahg, DH is on another business trip and it is going to be another long week. They are calling for severe storms today and tomorrow too...yuck. We had the most amazing weather yesterday.

Boocoo-We recently had a huge snapping turtle in the yard that was making its way to the pond...HUGE! I have several pics of him. My dogs are rarely at the farm since they run off, so they don't get to pic that stuff up. We have a lot of stupid geese though... I have been canoeing once and I ran into someone and knocked them out of the boat! That was like 18 years ago:-)

ES-Glad that X settle nicely into her new barn! How was the lesson?

3Day-Hope you and the boyfriend had a nice date!

Sylves-Glad you are back to riding! Hopefully that trainer will be able to help you out!

So yup, another busy week here! My next show is in two weeks and I need to work on getting Shelby's ads up. I have looked at a few foals online as well.

Oops, I see it is June 1st, doggies need their heartworm pills!!

I have been canoeing once and I ran into someone and knocked them out of the boat! That was like 18 years ago:-)

[ROTFL] [ROTFL] [ROTFL] Thanks for the good laugh this a.m. You are not allowed to go canoeing anymore!

A snapping turtle eh? I don't know if ours snap, probably, but so far I only see them in their shells. I made one tortoise mad one day. He was trying to get to the pond from Beau's pasture and he couldn't get through the fence he was so big. So I put him in a rope handle bucket and took him down to the pond. He did not appreciate my efforts and showed me this by peeing all inside the bucket! [bat Eyelashes] He was so heavy I couldn't carry him and glad I didn't, as he may have peed on me!

Last week of school, and going on another trail ride this Sat. What do ya'll think of this? My friend went with me last time on her young green horse. He is 6 years old but stands almost 18 hands. He is a huge horse. He got really scared when some yahoo trail rider dudettes barreled down on us. We kept telling them to stop and they wouldn't. Her horse was visibly shaking. My dh helped her get off him and we walked him up past the yahoos and waited for them to get on down the trail, then my dh gave her a leg back up and we finished our ride with no more incidents. I thought overall her horse did very well for his first outing. So I e-mailed her and asked her if she wants to go again this Sat. She said she preferred to wait till I am back from vacation and we can go during the week so her horse can get more comfortable on the trail with other horses coming up on us. I e-mailed her back and asked her how he is going to get more comfy if she doesn't take him and told her my dh and son will be hiking along with us again. I think she needs to take him and get him used to it. ANyway, she did e-mail me back and said she would go. I am glad she is going, but hope I'm not pushign her into doing something she is not comfy with. But I bet her horse will be fine.

Yes, and it was a child I knocked out of the canoe!! And, NO, I have never gone again:-)

I like the idea of taking the inexperienced horse while your hubby and son are with you...I would appreciate that extra help if I were her!!

I'm still alive, and getting settled in the new apartment. I HOPE to have internet up and running sometime this week. Then, I'll be on more.

Good news at the barn, the quarantine has been *partially* lifted per the vet. Since we still have a few virus cases, we aren't taking new horses in. But we are now officially allowed back into the park. So Fessor and I went on the trails a couple of times over the weekend. We worked on trail etiquette on Saturday. Which means that I insisted Fessor keep walking when Eli got ahead of us. The more Fess jogged and jigged, the more I laughed at him and told him we were going to walk. Poor baby had a hissy fit that Eli was getting farther and farther ahead of us, and I wouldn't let him trot to catch up. We got some jigging, some dancing sideways, some raising and shaking of the head, and some trotting in place! No, it wasn't a piaffe -- not enough connection and not through. But he may have a piaffe in him! A little leg yielding at the walk encouraged walking rather than jigging. Just as well, since at one point Fessor was frustrated enough that he was offering to rear. He didn't go up, but he sure gathered himself up to do so...

Yesterday, we went out alone for an hour and a half walk on the trails. Fessor was fantastic. We spent most of the walk with me holding the reins at the buckle and Fessor striding out in his "big boy walk". He'll never have a nine walk, but if we can figure out how to relax and allow his big strided walk we might some day manage a seven. Just a note -- the walk is our weakest gait. Fessor is great on trails by himself or with a horse that moves at a similar speed. He doesn't like having to slow down, nor does he like falling behind a bigger moving horse. Hence my insistence during our short ride Saturday that he would survive even though 18Hh Eli was getting farther and farther ahead of us.

I'm getting back into lessons this week after about a month off. My back is slowly improving, and the trainer knows I'll have to take things easy. Fessor has been coming out stiff in the hind end, but seems to work out of it with a long slow walk with lateral work warmup. Instead of walking five minutes or so, we walk 15-20 minutes with some turn on the forehand, leg yielding, and shoulder in. It's interesting, because he's getting some real definition in his hind quarters. I am still not sure if he's joint still or muscle stiff. I just started him on an oral joint/coat/hoof supplement, and have been giving him some magnesium. I'm wondering if I should finally break down and start him on adequan. I probably need to have the vet out to watch him move and see if we can pinpoint the stiffness.

Not too much to report from here. The bar study course starts this afternoon, and I'm still job hunting. So I have plenty to keep me busy. I was hoping to take Fessor to a June 13 schooling show, but that is coming up too quickly for me to be sure my back will cooperate. So it will probably be July sometime before we can make it to our first show of the year. Have a good week, all!

Tracy

Well Beckham, glad you decided to stay grounded!! And yeah, my friend likes the idea of hubby and son hiking along with us. She calls them the "emergency ground crew!!" I'm glad she's going, cause I really want to go all summer long and she is fun to ride with.

Tracy, glad you got all settled and got to go on a trail ride. That is a nice easy going way to get back into it. Get lots of pics at your schooling show.

Tracy - It sounds like everything overall is going really well with you right now! Partially lifted quarantine, fun trail ride, lessons, better back? good luck with your bar study course and job hunt!

Beckham - You knocked over a CHILD'S canoe? How can you sleep at night? lol, just kidding. Bet you wish you had that one on video, don't you? That's perfect America's Funniest Home Videos material, especially if people fumbled around trying to get the kid out of the water after.

Boocoo - Glad your trail ride was fun! There's always going to be something on the trail - a flock of birds suddenly flying out of the trees, a loose dog barking and chasing you, somebody on an ATV, people galloping up behind you every now and then, wildlife, hikers and mountain bikers appearing out of nowhere, etc. I think you're perfectly right to say that if your friend doesn't get out there and get her horse used to the unpredictability of the trail, then it's not going to magically happen on its own. Now, if your friend just doesn't enjoy that unpredictability, along with the many fun benefits of the trail, then that's another matter.

Beckham - Sorry your DH is off again. My fiance used to have to travel a lot for work and it was definitely a bummer. Good luck with Shelby's sale and the upcoming show!!!

Sylves - Ooh, bet it's going to be fun having some help from that instructor! So glad you're riding Jag again!!! He looks really good in those lunging pics you posted on the other thread.

shiloh - Yeah, sounds like with all the work you're putting into that trailer it's going to be the "indestructible wonder trailer" once you're done! Tee hee, that's awesome :) Good luck at your clinic! I'll bet you pull it off just fine, even with the time off beforehand.

3Day - Sooo, how was the date? :)

KTM - How was the show? Any pics???

Lesson was great yesterday! I'm so glad I scheduled it for the day after we moved in, because I was honestly a little nervous about my first ride at the new place (not wanting to look terrible, lol). I know I didn't need to be, but I was. Having my instructor there really helped me relax and have fun with it. Echo was being a bit of a butthead at first (probably because I was tense) but by the end I feel like we had some of our best work to date. Of course, the lesson lasted a whoppin' 2+ hours, including some time while my instructor hopped on. I love how unless she has other lessons after me, she'll just hang out until we end on a good note no matter what it takes. Plus, she said she was having fun seeing the goings on at the new barn and she saw some people she knew there too. So, overall a success! I'm on an every other week schedule with my lessons, but I'm doing one a week for the next couple of weeks while I get settled in at the new place.

Edited by e.s.dressage

TIRED and about to go to bed but I am going to copy and paste from UDBB:

Ok so yesterday I hauled down to Ocala and went to the STRIDE schooling show. I had a show in Jan and Feb here, but Layla and I were in a nasty spell and they were *bad* shows. Then I missed the March show due to being in PA buying the baby horse (not such a bad excuse! hah).

So anyways, I wanted to do one more show before the summer. I showed in 1:1 and 1:2. I havent been able to ride my horse for 12 days do to the monsoon we had here. And even when it stopped raining, my property was so flooded, it was all we could do to trot around in the mud. So she was ridden on Wed and Thurs and had Fri and Sat off and then show on Sunday. She was so amazing on Wed and Thurs that I didnt want to push her.

So anyways, it was insanely *insanely* hot. Godawful. I rode at 1:16 and 2:18. She warmed up beautifully. She was very.... up. Not in a bad way though. You guys would just have to know my mare that she generally shows very little personality under saddle so when she finally does, its actually nice.

This was a dressage AND DRIVING show. First time for her to see this along with MINIS driving. She totally does not "get" minis. lol

So anyways, shes forward, and looky, and very interested in all going ons but me, but shes still good. Finally get her stretching down and working. LOVELY trot work. Great canter.

Get into the ring and BOOM, we have NO left bend. BTW I know this is totally me. After waking up this morning with an intense pain in my left lower back and SI area, Ive decided that its how Im sitting the trot.

Anyways, we have been working on getting her more up and open, esp UP in her withers and neck, and having more push but slowing the tempo. We def had that at the show. She felt very springy. It was a dream to sit. But I got comments that she was tight in her back and needed to be stretched down in her frame. (?)

There were def lots of moments when she could have been rounder and more engaged and elastic. But ya know, it was SO nice to go to a show and not worry if I scored X.XX% so that I could qualify for championships. I went out, enjoyed my mare, didnt get pissed off for our mistakes, and had FUN. Imagine that! lol

So it was very nice for me to see my mare happy, springy, and merrily going about her business at a show, in 90+ degree weather, with all sorts of things going on.

BTW, I scored a 62% in 1:1 and 6th out of 10 and a 61.2% in 1:2 with 3rd out of 10. After watching the video, I totally can tell that I just wasnt like... RIDING. lol It was kind of like going out for a hack in front of a judge. But I guess its kind of good if you can just go out and hack and still score above 60!

So here are my questions:

Does she look really that tight in the back?

Dont we want the horses accepting the contact, working into it, with their noses IFV and necks up out of withers? Am I getting anything near that?

WHAT am I doing when I am sitting?!?!?! I always feel like Im sitting more on the right but I am doing something crazy as today there is this tightness in my left side, from under the bottom of my ribs to my SI joint in my lower back. This was the second time ever wearing these tall boots and I had to drop my stirrups 1 hole because I had these boots on. While I felt OK sitting, my legs arent as steady and secure as they usually are.

So mare just doesnt bend to the left when we go in a ring. I was sitting out in the warm up and everything was great. I sit at home. I sit when I school in an arena at jm's place. But when at a show, something happens and it goes out the window.

So here are some pics. Not our best. Far from it. But its been a while since Ive seen pics of me smiling while riding. And look how happy the mare is.

BTW, judge commented after first test when I thanked her that I had "a nice little mare" and she really loved our centerlines because we got 8s on all centerlines and halts.

MVI_8145014_0001.jpg

1:1 final centerline

MVI_8145026_0001.jpg

She was very forward going into the 2nd test even though we were both totally exhausted from the heat - and WHAT is my left leg doing?!

MVI_8146001_0002.jpg

Better halt except for my leg

MVI_8146001_0003.jpg

Finishing first LY

MVI_8146004_0001.jpg

See?? Smiling! I was cracking up because she just got so full of herself in the lengthened canter and bringing her back she was just being spunky when she never is - happy pony

MVI_8146008_0003.jpg

MVI_8146010_0002.jpg

First trot lengthening - memory card got full (grabbed the wrong one) and it sucks because the rest of the test was really good - and look Im lifting her off the ground with my arms!

MVI_8146011_0006.jpg

It seems my left sitting/leg is worse in the 2nd test... could it be from being so tired and hot? I know I sit crooked but generally can fix it. Ive NEVER had pain in my left side like this before. Its about 95% gone now.

Feel free to comment.

Shantel, did you happen to get any video of your ride? She looks nice from your pictures, but it is hard to tell what she is really doing without some video. Usually I can visualize how a horse moves off of still pictures, but not so much with Layla's trot.

But for 1:1 and 1:2, they are really probably looking for a frame closer to training level than to second, which is when you would start to ask for more push from behind and lift in front. And it takes a ton of strength to get that lift, so maybe she is not strong enough to pull it off correctly for two whole tests? Just thinking that if she is struggling with it a bit, and you are not riding her as well as you can, then maybe she looks more tense and thus the comments about her not being round enough.

Who was judging your show?

Sylves, I would be shocked if your trailer is uglier. Does yours have sticky spots where the pinstriping has been stripped off? Seriously faded paint with big spots missing, exposing the rust-colored primer underneath? Patches of rust that have been neutralized but not yet painted? A ramp that is held together with a post from a road sign? Yes, all of this is a work in progress, but it seriously looks like crap right now.

I found out my ride time is 3:45 on Saturday. Keep your fingers crossed for cool-ish weather. And a halfway functional me, given what plane trips do to me :)

ESD, I'm glad to read that you're at your new barn and having weekly lessons! That is wonderful that your trainer sticks around for so long during your lessons! My old event trainer used to do that all of the time- our standard 1 hour xc lessons stretched into 2 or sometimes 3 hours, which helped to make the 2 hour haul for the lesson worth it! Have fun at your new barn!

Tracy, Wow, you're in your new home already! Hope the bar exam study classes are helpful! Good luck with finding a job! Yey for finally being able to leave the barn to go on trail rides! I hope you figure out how to help out Fessor with the stiffness. Have you tried a Cosequinn? Jaggar had the Legend IV a month ago; I can't say that it was very helpful. If anything, Jaggar didn't feel himself at all. I'm sure the Adequen is by far superior, though.

KTM, My eyes are not very educated, but I can't say that I'm seeing a tight back at all. If anything you two look steady and consistent! I think you look awesome! I'd be happy to achieve that kind of work from Jaggar and me!

Boocoo, I'll bet your friend was a little nervous during the ride when her horse freaked out. Perhaps she'd like to hit the trails when there will be less people using the trails, like on a weekday. Is she able to lunge before heading out? Would it do anything to help the horse to use up some extra energy? Glad you had a nice weekend! Enjoy your last week of school! It will be Friday before you know it! Ahhh, and it will be the beginning of summer break!!! I'm loving it already!

It was such a gorgeous day today, but we sorta stayed inside. THis morning I drove Chad and Shannon to the clinic. The doctor wrote out a script for the zpak for Chad. Shannon was given a clean bill, although she really needs to stay out of the barn until that cough goes away (sigh... I believe she is not tolerating the dusty barn too well...). When we got home, I made some lunch, cleaned the house a little, and we ALL took a LONG nap. (We didn't sleep very well the night before). We got up, drove to town so that Chad could do some work at school, and then we ate out with Chad's mom who was already in town for work (she was on call at the hospital, and because of the long drive in, she has to stay the night at the hospital). When we got home, it was time for a bath and bed! Chad is in the bed room snoring away, Shannon has finally stopped calling my name and crying... awww, peace and quiet.

I hope to ride tomorrow. One pressing thought is that I NEED to go to Lincoln to see my mother who had surgery two weeks ago.

You guys, I'm feeling a bit down about my riding skills. There are so many things to improve, and I just can't seem to fix it. Granted, I will hopefully get some lessons this summer. Crossing my fingers that I start to show some improvement this summer!

Okay, off to bed! Have a great Tuesday everyone!