Sign in to follow this  
Beckham03

Dressage Chit Chat #26

Shiloh, hee hee, I'll get a picture of the trailer tomorrow for you to see! We don't have "patches of rust." Um, the thing used to be green apparently, but now it's a complete rust color, lol! Granted, the trailer is VERY old, and it has been used HARD for all kinds of livestock. It's your typical livestock trailer. Definitely nothing pretty to look at, but thankfully it gets the job done! It's a little overkill for our 11 hand pony, though! lol!

Sylves- [Huggy] Don't stress about the riding to much. You work and hav a little one. It is not like you have a lot of extra time to ride. My sister is starting to think about riding her mare again. Her little one is going to be 3 in a couple of months. She hasn't ridden since she found out she was pregnant. I hope the trainer will be able to help you.

KTM-It is nice to actually have fun at a show. You can keep that weather. I wish Cheese and I looked that good. Yeah I know it will come with time. You guys look great for an off day.

Tracy-Glad to hear moving went well. Great news about the quarentine being partially lifted. Fessor sounds like he was a bit of a handful the first time out. Sometimes the jigging can be so annoying. Sometimes it can be so amusing. There is a small trail around a small hay fiels where I board. Well when we come back to the barn after hacking around the field Cheese gets to jigging. Well I can usually get a few steps of passage from her. That is until she gets pissed off anf goes behind the verticle and tries to spit out the bit.Very amusing though.

Boocoo-I think it is a good idea for your friend to go again. Otherwise her horse will never learn. Having a "ground crew" there is a good idea. Takes some of the stress from the rider. Tril riding once a week sounds nice. I really need to get out to the local trails.

Beck-Well aren't you a big meanie head knocking a kid out of a canoe.

ES-Glad the move went well. You got to love the trainer who stick around a little longer to get something done. I hate ending on a bad note.

There has been some goings on at my sister's barn that I am not to happy with. I really wish they would move. However her husband likes it there. Which sucks because I don't think he should be near the horse. He is one of those kick pull riders. He has very little horsemanship skills.

The scratch was healed enough to put a saddle on Cheese's back again. However I used a light curb bit to ride her in. After that amount of time off it is inviting a disaster to ride her in her snaffle. So for sanity sake I used a curb bit. It is a 3 piece mouth with a very short shank. So it is designed to be used with light contact. So I really focused on bending. I have to start working on smaller figure 8s. She is good with a change of rien on a long diagnol and large figure8s. However you make them smaller and she just tenses and refuses to change the bend. I am hoping that will help with the "I am not going to bend" hissy fits I get at a show.

Shiloh- Enjoy your clinic! Hope that you are feeling better!

Sylves- Z-paks are amazing drugs...though they do make me dream strange things. That will give the bug the boot. I just finished mine last night. He'll feel so much better! I want to say that we all have those unconfident days! Believe me....I have them a lot!! Riding is certainly an adventure! You are doing terrific w/ not having all the time to ride in the world! Hang in there and hopefully the help from this lady will be beneficial! [Huggy]

Boocoo- Yes pictures please! Awh poor guy! I'm sure the tortoise is like AHHH hide! Goodness big as bucket! I think they are amazing creatures! Sounds like you had a nice day on Sunday!

Beckham- I've been looking at foals online too! Not that I can get one anytime soon. And i'm never going canoeing w/ you!

ES- Sounds like a fantastic lesson! Terrific! Glad that things are going well at this new barn! :)

Sunday our date was nice. It was great spending time w/ him. We haven't done this in such a long time. Had dinner went to Target...and then went to the movie. Both of us decided that we will be trying to do this more often. He will be busy this summer w/ catering jobs and whatnot and w/ me riding and having to take a summer class. Been able to ride the last 3 days. I'm being like Sylves right now being frusterated with my riding. Argh! Though I had a fantastic ride on Leo yesterday. Scotch on the other hand was being a nilly! He was doing levades! And was cocking some pony-tude. He hasn't done that in awhile...and I was just praising him on how consistent he has been. Bah! So much for that! Oh well here's hoping for good rides today!

Eventer, :-) Glad you had a nice date night! Even though I'm very frustrated with my riding, I can look back at less than a year ago when I first started riding Jaggar. It was awful back then! We couldn't even trot without bolting. I totally had forgotten how to post and do two point. Now, at least Jag can trot and I can post/do 2pt!

I'm off to ride this morning. I will get my vid camera and see if I can work on the stuff you guys suggested in the other thread!

Yeah Sylves, she did longe the horse before we rode, but he wasn't at all hyper. He just got scared when those girls barreled down on us. Most people have more manners than that! So I bet he will be fine this Saturday.

Shiloh, get pics at your show.

3day, glad you had good quality time with the bf.

Our principal has a chair massage guy coming tomorrow. I think I was the first one to sign up!!

Rode Beau last night. He was better and I had more stretch and impulsion again. Interesting how much better he is out on the trail!!!

I had a big long post typed out and when I hit send it timed out! [Duh]

Oh I will make sure to get pics. My dad will be in town for my disability hearing, so I will make him the photographer, and maybe ask him to video part of my lesson. I wish my fiance could go too, but he has to work. We will be working on that trailer until the last possible minute though! It still has no floor.

Sylves, don't worry so much abotu your riding skills. We all have times when we start to feel like we suck. I had a moment the other day at a show, when I was watching the first and secodn level tests, where I all of the sudden went "hey, I don't suck as much as I thought I did!" Maybe if you try to hit a small show and watch the intro/training riders, you would have one of those moments. After all, even the top riders make mistakes and have bad days.

Sylves, there are days when I am convinced I cannot ride my way out of a paper bag. Plateaus are a normal part of riding, as are days of doubt and lack of confidence. Just try and have some fun, and let the increase in skills come in their own time.

I'm at the library for awhile, using their internet. Mine will be active on Thursday. I was hoping they would activate it early so I could get on with my older, regular modem while I wait for the one with a built in router that I just bought from the service provider. But at least as of this morning, no internet yet. I will be so glad when I can get online at home again! :)

Shantel, Layla looks lovely. I'm glad you were happy with how she was going. I hope you figure out what's causing the soreness on your left side. I am now down to once a week appointments with the chiropractor, so hopefully I'll continue feeling better. Thankfully, I can take a lot of time moving so I don't have to strain things by trying to do it all at once.

Tracy

Sylves, I read something great once on one of the forums (wish I could credit whoever wrote it). It was a post about somebody being shocked at how badly she rode when somebody came out to take photos. The response said something along the lines of, "We never ride quite as badly or quite as well as we imagine." I love that, because I think it's a nearly universal truth. Either we think we're doing just terrible, and really we're not, or we think we're doing great, then we see a photo or video and realize we still have so much to learn! So, no worries :smilie: There's perspective to all of it.

shiloh - Can't wait to see pics!

Boocoo - Glad you had a great ride! A little trail time is wonderful for horses, and us!

3Day - Glad your date went well! Sorry Scotch decided to be a poo :winking:

c.s.a. - The smaller figures have helped Echo a lot. I take my time doing them at the walk and then trot and it's amazing how much more supple she gets. Good luck!

KrazyTB - The pics look really nice. I'd also love to see some video.

So I had an incredible ride on Echo yesterday! She picked up right where we left off from our lesson so she was awesome from the start. There was a lesson going on in the arena with an FEI trainer from Holland who teaches at the barn and one of her students who has amazing (drooling on my keyboard) horses. Anyway, somehow I didn't get tense and actually had one of my best rides ever sharing the arena with them. I think it's because I found her Dutch accent soothing, because it sounds just like my mom's. After my ride, the trainer was sitting by where I was untacking and said, "Hey, that's a really nice horse!" Her student agreed and they started asking questions about Echo's age, what level we ride, etc. I joked that we're aspiring for Intro, lol. Anyway, I was kind of shocked and very proud of my little mare :grin:

Edited by e.s.dressage

I ordered one. I googled it a bit more so I could find a picture of it. Now I will be able to see at shows when I have my helmet on!! Yahoo! I may just have to sell my other one.

Tempi, I love the pictues! What a pretty little guy!

Tracy, what apartment did you end up getting? Do you like it? Any more trail rides with Fessor?

KTM, any updates on Rex? Last I read, he had figured out how to open gates, or something like that! Sounds like a WB, lol! We used to call Quincy (Sylves) "The Destroyer." He was a 17 hand, very playful Holsteiner! Definitely a man's horse. Man, when EPM took over his body (but not his mind), he was down right dangerous. At any rate, I hope Rex is still a joy! Do you have any recent pictures of the boy?

Boocoo, Friday is almost here!!! Yippee! Do you have any summer plans, aside from riding and showing? Any vacations? What do you do when it gets so darn hot?

Shiloh, I still haven't got a pic of the stock trailer, but just for now, imagine a very rusty 26 ft GN step up with some holes where the rust did the most damage. Yuck! Hope your trailer is coming along! What do you have again? BP or GN? 2 or 4 horse? tack room or nothing? Ramp or step up? I forgot...

KTS, How is that splint? I'm hoping it's a minor flaw. Do you plan to sell fraiser?

Okay, gotta go pack for my trip to Lincoln! Mom is really excited about our visit! Chad is staying home because he's adjunct teaching at a local community college this summer- Tues and Thurs evenings.

Sylves, our trailer is a 2h BP, ramp, with no dressing room, no mangers. Its actually a really well-designed trailer with dual full-height escape doors, removable divider and removable head divider. It has windows on the doors and both sides, and it used to have half doors on the back above the ramp. Those got cut off. The plan is to build a new ramp that is longer, so it will go high up the back when closed. Then we won't need the doors at all. But for now I am only going to be hauling grown horses facing forwards, so the doors are not needed. It will eventually be repainted too, but that will happen when we have the money for paint and I have the time to strip all the old paint.

Of course, the first thing it needs now is a floor!

Sylves, I am heading out to Tucson next week to see my Mom. Then her and my sister are driving back with me and my son. They will stay here for a week. In July we are going to the beach and I have a horse show. Aug. stay home, ride and organize my house from when we moved last summer. And of course ride, ride, ride. I am going to be working hard on 2nd level stuff. We are already schooling some of the stuff and I have a few other things I need to work on, so we can show 2nd level test 1 this fall.

Our boss had a massage therapist here today for us. I had a 15 min. chair massage and he confirmed that my ribs are out where I pulled that muscle last week. So I have a chiro appt. tomorrow. Figured I'd better get that taken care of before I drive 1000 miles to Tucson next week.

We are going on another trail ride this Sat. That will be my last ride for a while since I will be gone. I had an awesome ride last night. I think Beau is finally getting used to his new feet and the new breakover point. It was the best ride I have had in quite some time. I warmed him up at the walk real good first. I started off walking a 20 m circle and 1/2 of it I would counter flex, then bend back to the inside, then counter flex again and so forth and so on, both directions and then I started doing loops all over the arena, changing my direction constantly. That really loosened him up. The rising trot work was a lot more steady and I had my trot lengthenings back. Then we worked on some collected canter, 3 loop serpentines with no change of lead. That was good, so I threw in a couple of lengthenings both directions. All good. Then I worked on SI and ly and his ly's were some of the best I have ever done. He was really stretching and pushing off and using his hind end again. So I think he is really starting to feel better now. Imagine how he'll be after this shoer shoes him a few more times.

We had a thunder storm last night and lightning hit the internet tower, so I couldn't get on last night. Should be fine by the time I get home today though.

I have been a slacker here this week! OH, and just for the record, regarding knocking the child out of the canoe...I was only like 13 or 14 at the time, so it didn't look as bad as a grown woman doing the same thing. Hahahaha!

We have had a lot of bad weather here the past two days and today it is 56 and raining! Yuck!! I have been busy running errands and I got Shelby's sale ads up.

Boocoo-My DH is in Arizona right now, about 10 miles from Mexico. He was in Yuma last week and I am not positive about this week. I can't believe you are driving that whole way...ahg!!

Sylves-Have a good time visiting your mom. What classes does your DH teach.

KTM-Congrats on the show...the boots can be a pain in the butt; I have been there. Now I ride in tall boots every ride and it did make a difference. How is Rex? Where did you get him from? Didn't you say they had some other youngsters for sale??

I have been a lazy bum today and really need to get something done. I hope the rain lets up eventually so I can ride. I have a show next weekend then the weekend after that. The I am going to watch a Robert Dover symposium the next weekend. Then more shows in July and scribing for my trainer at a show she is judging in July. Lots of fun horse stuff!!

Hey Beckham, your dh must be in Nogales? What does he do?

I would rather drive than fly! Especially after hearing about that freaky Air France Jet going down in the Atlantic. Totally crazy! We can make it in one day because the speed limit on I-10 west of San Antonio all the way to El Paso is 85 mph. Makes a huge difference.

Tomorrow is the last day of school for students and my last day if Fri. I am off at noon tomorrow and then going to my sons awards thing at school and then to my chiro appt.

Hey Beckham, your dh must be in Nogales? What does he do?

Nogales, or Patagonia! Patagonia's lovely.

Beckham - Good luck at the show, and have fun at the Robert Dover symposium! I'm jealous!

Boocoo - The drive between TX and Tucson isn't that bad? at least from west Texas. I forget where you are? hope the chiro can help you!

Sylves - Your new pics on the other thread look much better - good work!!! It seems like you and Jag are getting back into the swing of things after his time off. I remember that before you were improving so much almost every ride! :)

tempi - Love love love the baby pics. Gosh, I don't mind the big ears. Maybe your baby will channel some Rocher magnificence!

I have a few pics at the new digs, and will get some new riding ones for you guys soon. Also, it turns our digital camera has a video function, so I'll see if I can also get some video soon for an even better critique from you all! :smilie:

Echo checking out her new pen?

bm1.jpg

bm2.jpg

under her awning in her funny looking fly mask?

bm3.jpg

gettin' some love :)

bm4.jpg

Boocoo-He is a software engineer and as at a millitary base training them on software he wrote for them. I will ask when he calls later....I am a bad wife, but I can't keep track of all these places!

ES-Nice new digs! I wish we had the climate where our horses could live like that. You said they have the ability to be misted in their run-ins? It is so different how horses are kept in different parts of the country! My horses could live out west since they can't have much grass!

The rain has let up and I am going to walk the dogs and ride!!!

ES-Nice new digs! I wish we had the climate where our horses could live like that. You said they have the ability to be misted in their run-ins?

Yeah, there are misters in the run-ins that are turned on during the heat of the day. It's cute because all of the horses stand under them and just bask in the coolness! They're needed though - weather forecast was 103 today!!! You either have to ride in the early am or late in the day, otherwise it's just rediculously hot! Luckily we're going to cool down to the low 90's later this week though. Aaaahhhh :smilie:

Edited by e.s.dressage

Beckham, if he's only 10 miles from Mexico and at a Military Base then I bet he is at Ft. Huachuca near Sierra Vista, AZ. The next closest to Mexico would be Davis Monthan, but that's in Tucson, a good hour to Mexico. And then of course Yuma. I bet he hated Yuma. There are bases in Phx. also, but again, to far from Mexico.

E.S. I have made the drive to Tucson from Texas about umpteen million times in my life! :happy0203: Course being an over the road truck driver for a while made me loose count, but then again, traveling from AZ to OK and AZ to TX and TX to AZ, cause we have lived in all those places made it even more. It is a fast drive from my house to El Paso since the speed limit in I-10 is 85 mph now. Once we get down there on I-10 it goes pretty quick. I should be able to be in El Paso by 3 El Paso time. That should put me at my Mom's by 8 p.m. Not to bad. Might as well do it in one day and get it over with. Hope my back holds up! I am not as young as I used to be.

Echo looks comfy in her new digs. I know exactly where that place is now. I went and looked at it with a friend once for her to keep her horse.

Gotta run the kid to Jiu Jitsu class. More later.

Boocoo-I am talking to him now and logged on to post, and you are exactly right...that is where he is!! Yes, he said Yuma was hotter and he rather likes it in Sierra Vista. He is staying in Tuscon tomorrow night and flying out of there...

Sierra Vista is a real nice area in Southern, AZ. I used to run barrels there a lot and we even had some barrel races on the Post a couple of times at a really nice arena. Yuma is pure ****! It's nothing but sand dunes and probably one of the ugliest, hottest places on earth. The beauty of it is, it's only about 3 hours to San Diego from Yuma. So they must be driving up to Tucson to fly out of there. That's about an hour and a half drive. Real pretty drive. That's cool he gets to travel some.

E.S. when I lived in Tucson we used to take those soaker hoses and zip tie them up under the shelters, put them on a timer and they would come on in the hottest part of the day for a while. I remeber when we lived in the High Desert in Cal. which is just as hot as Tucson, the sprinklers were on in the arena one morning so they could drag it later. I turned Beau out in there and he walked over to a sprinkler, turned his butt to it and let himself get soaked. It was amazing cause he acts like such a weenie about water sometimes.

Oh, did I mention I had a great ride last night? Felt like Beau was starting to come back to me, finally!

Boocoo, that is wonderful about your ride! Doesn't it feel wonderful when things start to come together? I'll never forget the first ride after I put Lucy on epsom salts. I thought I must have been dreaming.

I am starting to get nervous about my clinic. I hate riding in front of people, and it makes it worse that I haven't ridden in a week and a half. My friend/boarder has lunged Lucy a couple times while I have been in KY, and I will be able to ride Thursday, but still...

At least everything is set for the wedding in August, and the trailer is ready to be painted so the floor can go down.

Yes Shiloh, it feels good knowing my horse is feeling better again. He was doing pretty good all winter and then it seems like he just started declining again the last couple of months or so. He is feeling better and must be getting used to the new break over point again. I am going to ride him tonight and then a trail ride on Sat. a.m. and then he will get a little time off.

I used to be really nervous about going to clinics. I wouldnt' go, yet I would show??? I started out doing workshop ride a tests and felt better about that and then I finally did that clinic this past Jan. and loved it. I think you will find everyone is really supportive and positive at clinics. Who are you riding with? Just remember to relax and focus on yourself and the clinician. You will be fine and probably find that you are really enjoying yourself!

What kind of wedding are you going to have?

ES-New place looks nice.

Boocoo-Glad to hear Beau is doing so well.

shiloh-At least with all the wedding planning done that should be less stress in your life. Have fun at the clinic.

Beckham-Sounds like a full calendar. Good luck at your shows.

The weather is kind of blah today. Rain off and on all day.A couple of stalls have opened up at the barn where my trainer is at. It has an indoor but turnout is very limited (not a lot of space). The lack of turnout worries me a bit with a high energy horse like Cheese. Plus I have had bad boarding experiences. I am happy at the place I am now. So I am scared to move. I am going to try and talk to the BO this weekend. So I don't know. Kind of torn. Both barns have ok feed programs. I would have to get supplements at either one. I can use my vet and farrier at both. The barn I am at now has a lighted outdoor with good footing. They are building a covered arena/indoor (depends on the day you ask). T%he other barn just has a indoor with good footing.

Boocoo - Man, you are the super-duper traveler! Sounds like the drive will be no big deal for you. It also sounds like Beau's doing great - congrats!!! Ooh, so you know the place Echo's at! Keep in mind that it's changed ownership. I heard that somebody let it get a bit run down a few years back, but it's really nice and updated now.

Shiloh - The wedding's in August? How exciting. That's so soon!!! I'm just getting going on my planning. We have it narrowed down to three locations. Once you pick the location and date, everything else kind of falls into place? right? What's your wedding going to be like? Do you have a honeymoon planned?

c.s.a. - Boarding situations are tough. It seems like you're gaining and losing wherever you go. Like the new place I'm at - I love almost everything about it, but I am finding that I'm having to get used to riding in a bit of a crowded arena quite often. It's new for me. Good luck with whatever you choose!

I finally have internet up in the apartment. So I'll be on a bit more frequently now. I think we figured out what Fessor's stiff hind end is from. His hips aren't level. It looks like his sacrum is out. The chiropractor is coming out on Monday. Until then, we'll do lots of walking and nothing too strenuous. And now I'm waiting to hear from the farrier to get Fessor trimmed.

Tracy

I am riding with Charlotte Trentelman. Most of the riders are training level, with one at second and one at third riding in the morning. I am the last ride of the day because I am NOT a morning person. I don't tend to get out of bed before 11 am.

The wedding is in August, and it is going to be at this older mansion (well, mansion by early 1900's standards) with a rose garden. It's going to be small, 40 people at most. And no, things do not start falling into place once you have a location! After the location, you have to find a caterer, photographer, florist, bakery, and bridesmaids dresses. And if your fiance is as unopinionated about things as mine, you will also have a part in his attire and the groomsmen's attire. Then you have invitations, a guest list, and hotel recommendations. And likely the rehearsal dinner as well. My parents have done a lot of the legwork for me since the wedding is in KY.

And we are having a small honeymoon in KY, but we will probably take a trip sometime next year or so. I don't do that much commotion in that short a time.

Boocoo, what do you think happened since the winter to make Beau regress?

Lots of chit chatting going on!

Catch up w/ everyone later!

My one brother is home visiting for 2 weeks. He lives in Europe and came for our Grandmother's 80th surprise bday party! :)

I really have missed him a ton! He's currently at the Stanley Cup playoffs in Pittsburgh w/ my dad! But this weekend we are going to a Beerfest which will be fun! And he brought me home some of the delicious Czech wine! Helloooo! And their to die for chocolate.

Not only did I get into the Gunnar clinic but I also sent in the video for a clinic w/ George Williams! Woot! Hopefully we'll get a slot but we'll see! Cross your fingers for us!