Sign in to follow this  
Beckham03

Dressage Chit Chat #26

Shelly, that is exactly how I think of them too. Much better than a WB. They seem to have a better work ethic, and the fact that they have been bred for centuries to collect really makes the upper level work easy for them. It's not unusual to see the young horses starting work in the piaffe and half pass (very very basic work of course) because it just comes so naturally to them. And I have seen some nice ones who could trot and canter the pants off any WB I have seen. I cannot wait until my filly is old enough to ride, because she is just going to be fun.

Sylves, good luck with the truck! Having a truck and trailer opens up a whole new world of opportunity.

I rode BOTH of my horses today. Lucy did some decent canter work, though she was having a lot of trouble getting the lead I asked for, the nut. We quit on one very nice C-W transition. She is still figuring those out. But we had some very nice medium canter work, and the collection is coming back in the right lead. And my Arab and I cantered again! It's been a while because I have been working on steering with him. But we had a ball. He has just a huge stride and is a ball to ride. I even took him up the driveway and he was excellent. Didn't even spook at the neighbor's goat running around.

Been enjoying them a great deal. Much, much better than the WBs.

~Shelly~

I am praying for you girl and it will all get better.

What is it about the Lusitano that you like better than WB's?

Sylves, your right, we are too busy and it's summer break! I am busy taking me Mum & sister everywhere and on a good note, a new pet store opened up in one of the towns I am close to and they sell crickets for our fat tailed gecko!! Yeah, no more driving 25 miles to buy crickets for a lizard!! And a new Best Buy, woot!!! Hope the truck works out for you. That would be awesome if you could start showing and taking lessons.

Beau will be back in serious work next week. I am longing him at least every other day this week, so he will be ready for me to ride. Actually, I am planning on riding him Fri. a.m. We aren't doing anything until dinner on Friday. Thank goodness. Next week I have a trail ride and a lesson planned.

Edited by Boocoo

Sylves-Great pics. I remember the pics from about a year ago. You and Jag have improved so much.

KTM-Poor Rex. I hope everyone stops picking on him soon. Horses will be horses though.

Boocoo-Sounds like a fun but exhausting week.

So have been a bad chitchatter. I had a good ride yesterday. I gat a decent walk halt transition. Cheese actually gave to the bit while doing the downward. Usually the head goes in the air and it is a fight for a stop. I have to get the free walk slower. Cheese will strech down and use her topline beautifully but she uses all her muscles. We get one heck of a spped walk. I think we are at a point were I can start nit picking with out her fussing to much. Took her out for a hack the other day. Well evidently she has gotten barn sour. We have to go past the barn to get to the road. Well Cheese threw a fit. We ended up cantering sideways in place. Amusing to ride but nit exactly fun when you want to walk.We had about a min fight. So much for a nice quiet hack.

Okay, so I'm not even going to try to remember how long it's been since I last posted, but I'm pretty sure it was sometime during winter term, and my life has been nothing short of...nuts.

To put it all in a nutshell, I ended up moving barns, moving apartments twice, spent most of the term very sick, juggling chemistry, physics, and biology, an internship with my vet, a horse who has been lame more often than not, turning 21 (and not partying), starting my three year old under saddle, all of my Pony Club stuff including a freaking huge rating, and something new for this term - a social life.

But as usual, things have worked themselves out...Vegas is sound again, but we're definitely looking at some Navicular changes and serious arthritis issues to start creeping up in the next few years. But for now we're working dang hard to keep it at bay and she's working very comfortably.

The term ended very well - I was top of the class in physics and chemistry. I was only disappointed in one class...shall we say that B is for Biology...but my life will be redeemed when I get straight A's in organic chemistry and biochemistry! Summer classes start Monday - 20 weeks' worth of biology in 8 and 10 weeks' worth of chemistry in 3. I think I'll go over to the vet school and see if they need any stall workers in the large animal section. I worked that job one summer in high school and it was fun. And I need gainful employment. And since they're part of the university, working around students' schedules is something they do in their sleep. It will also put my foot in the door to get a position working in the research lab - the one section of my vet school app that needs the most help.

My internship with my vet is F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S! He is such a funny man and is a lot of fun to be around, even if we are waiting around for two hours for the next appointment. I learn SO much when I work with him - not just about the medicine, but also about managing a business, different lifestyles of veterinarians, how to fill out a killer application for vet school, and what second year is really like...my ultimate goal of becoming his associate after I graduate is well on its way to fruition.

I'm in my one week of summer break right now, and it is so nice to be living at a slow pace. Tomorrow morning I'm babysitting my three nephews (all under 5) and then I might go see the new Star Trek movie. Thursday I will do another day with my vet before we both head over to my Pony club meeting to give a lecture on strangles or pigeon fever or something like that. Friday will be blessedly free.

Read my other thread on contact in the warm up to see how Vegas is doing in her work :/

I'll try to skim through old posts and see how everyone is doing...

Off to bed now though - being chased around by a 9 month old, 2 year old, and 4 year old at 8 am takes a lot of good rest!

The saddle I'm going to try on Fessor finally arrived. Of course, it waited until the weather warmed up... Ah well, Murphy's Law I guess. Air conditioning just installed, and is starting to cool the bedroom. Yay for being able to sleep overnight! There's not too much to report...

Tracy

Yay for selling Shelby! That was quick. Hopefully the sale goes through and she goes to the perfect home.

I need to trim hooves today, but it is SOOO hot. Its 97 with a heat index of 104, and the sun is just brutal. Its miserable even in the shade. The poor grass is getting dry and crispy from lack of rain (again). I swear I live in the "no rain" zone, and anything in the area just goes right around me. It can seriously be pouring 5 minutes from here but be sunny right over my farm.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you Beck!

Tracy, some nice ac on a warm day sounds rather nice. Hope you like this saddle. Didn't you say it's an Albion?

Vegas, OMGosh, that sounds hectic! You are a high achiever, I see! Have fun with that internship! Sounds like a fabulous opportunity! All of this hard work WILL pay off in one way or another!

Shiloh, I hear ya about the rain refusing to fall at your house. Err! We trimmed last weekend when it was nice and cool. Now, it's starting to warm up into the high 80's. Yesterday I was turning up the furnace, and today I'm staying inside to keep cool!

Well, we're looking at a pickup tonight. The asking price is in our range. I'm crossing my fingers we get a truck soon because I seriously would like to trailer my horses places!

Yes, it's an Albion. First ride in it seemed ok. I have three or four days to try it out, so I'll ride in it a couple more times to be sure. The front edge is just right -- plenty of clearance over the withers and follows the line of the barrel behind the shoulders. The back looks a bit broad, but as he muscles up his topline that should fit better. I'll see if adding our half pad helps the fit any. It seems relatively comfortable for me, and I'm not fighting a chair seat quite so much. I still need to stretch my quads and hip flexors to allow my leg to come back under my body where it belongs. I will try to get some pictures tomorrow.

Tracy

I'm on facebook as well. Kelly Gage, Lexington, KY.

I'm feeling you on the heat, it's 90 plus humidity. Lunged out today, and by the end of it, Sinari was dripping wet. Tom Poulin clinic next week. Don't know how I'll get there, but I guess I'm going. Working through the last three horse shows, and preparing for a trip up north.

The flies are reeking havoc on my ponies' hooves.

Looking at new trucks (*woot!*), thank you economic recovery program!

What is it about the Lusitano that you like better than WB's?

In general, saner, better temperament, nice smooth gaits, very people oriented, great natural balance that always makes them feel like they are centered right underneath you even when they are being silly or acting up, an apptitude for lateral work and collection.

Lots of WB's have all those qualities as well, but you also find that a lot of WB's can be a bit loopy sometimes. Also, if you want a WB that is really going to have the ability to do upper level work, then the horse is probably going to have pretty big movement that you may or may not be able to sit to. A baroque horse may never move quite as well as a the best WB, but they do move very nice, well enough to do the upper level work, and you will not have any issues sitting their gaits. There are lines within the baroque breeds that can be hotter tempered, so you do need to do your research carefully if you decide you want a Lusi/Andy, but the vast majority of them are sane, even tempered and mild mannered enough for any AA to ride and train. I think you have a better chance of ending up with a hot WB than a hot Lusi/Andy. It's why their popularity is growing so fast. I'm not a big fan of ALL the baroque breeds, but I do like the Lusitanos and Andalusians.

~Shelly~

Beckham- Crossing my fingers for you!!

Sylves- http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/home.php?ref=home Link to my facebook

:) Good luck on the truck!

Tracy- Woot for Albions! I love mine!

Shelly- It was a good time!! You definately should see if you can come out for a longer period of time. Scotch would love to see you :)

Had a nice ride on Scotch today! Back to work for him...as lesson w/ Mr. Trainer is soon approaching! Gadzooks!

Jingles are well needed in my family right now. We are having some major bad luck...my step-dad may have Parkinson disease...and my health at the moment is in a bit of a limbo...just a sucky year at the moment. Gah.

Beckham, yeah on selling Shelby! That rocks!!!

Shelly, so in general, are the Lusitano/Any's comparable in price to WB's? What about size. I really like a horse that is at least 16.1 to 16.3.

Very hot here this week. Unbelievable. We went shopping and to Whole Foods for lunch today. My nephew just texted my sister that he got a fantastic job in management. He had 4 interviews!!! He just graduated from college last month, so this is huge.

I am longing Beau and will get back on him on Friday. My old shoer called me and wanted to know how he was doing. I told him to come to my next shoeing with the NB shoer if he wants to.

Boocoo, you can certainly find a Lusitano or Andy in your height range. It's not terribly common to find them past 17h, but the 16h range is where the market is here. Price wise, they are pretty comparable. There are deals to be had for both Iberian horses as well as WB's, and you should expect to pay top dollar for a very top horse of either type. And those top Iberians have just as nice movement as the top WB's IMO, but they tend to have a bit less suspension. That is what makes them easier to sit. They are still fancy, and the nice ones have a wonderful ability to extend, but they also tend to find the collection and lateral work a bit easier. You will likely pay a bit more for a Lusitano, especially a mare, than an Andalusian though because there are just fewer of them in this country. Most of what has been imported are stallions because the Portuguese and Brazilian breeders keep their nicest mares for breeding stock. Also, mares are really not ridden in either country.

I compare the Iberian personality to that of a good Arab. Not the crazy ones you sometimes see in the halter classes, but the typical, nicely bred Arab. They both have tons of personality, and are forgiving while still being sensitive. And as Shelly said, there are certainly hotter Iberian horses, but the majority are very ammie friendly. Once you ride a couple, you will likely kiss the WB scene goodbye.

Anyone here really good with conformation? I am not sure if my eyes are deceiving me or not on my Arab. He looks a bit behind at the knee in one leg, but I am not totally sure. I just worry about him given his poor hoofcare as a youngster. His hooves now match pretty much perfectly, but the knees look just a bit off to me...

Shiloh - post some pics of your boy and I'll offer my opinion...after all my Pony Club stuff and working for a vet, I have a pretty good eye for conformation :)

Shiloh, very good info. as usual. Thank you. Yes, I would like a horse in the 16 hand range. Doesn't have to hit 17 hands. I have never owned anything other than QH's, TB's and Paints. I just know I want something that has the ability and breeding for upper level dressage, when I get to my next prospect, so I want to be very open minded.

Post pics of your Arab's knees.

Off to Panera Bread again. My Mom loves it and they don't have one in Tucson! [Me Cry]

I longed Beau this a.m. in side reins and he worked beautifully. He has more suspension now althought his back toes still tend to hit before the heels do, but not as bad. A couple more shoeings ought to really show a huge difference. I have a show next month, but I think that will be it for rated shows this year. I will stick to the schooling shows this fall and hope to be doing 2nd test 1. Then we can try for regionals again next year when his feet are better.

Eventer and Beck, I hope the best for you and your families. Doesn't sound like fun at all.

Tempi and eventer, when I get back from town tonight, I'll add you guys as FB friends!.

So, I am officially no longer a wb owner either. I will have to say that they all the ones I have owned have had a hot streak and have not worked out for one reason or another, so I am sort of over them too. I am sure there are exceptions to the rule, but I am not going searching for one. My riding style and what I want to do apparently does not go well with them. I will not turn down a horse I mesh with because it is a wb, but for now, I am going to hang low:-) I am going to enjoy showing Beckham and just having the two boys at home. Beckham is an absolute blast and still has a lot of untapped potential, so we have a long ways to go. He is still developing balance, etc...a lot of young horse stuff.

Shelby was purchased by a girl who has been riding her at the trainer's...so she is staying there. So no tears or dramatic picking her up events. The girl really loves her and is just thrilled to have her. So I am happy she got a good home.

Boocoo-You and Panera...good grief! I am teasing...we had one by our old house and ate there a lot. Then they opened a Chipotle and a California Pizza Kitchen...anyway, you get the drift:-) I will be excited to see how much Beau's feet have changed! Glad he is feeling good!

Sylves-I was looking at all of your pics on FB; man, you did some serious jumping! How long did you event? You talk about Dee...is that the horse you owned and showed the longest? Was he a TB?

Shiloh-I posted on your pictures thread:-) Still hot down there?

Shelly-Hmm, don't know why I have to include you here when I talk to you 10 times a day...hahahaha!

Lauren-Getting in any riding? How was Ponyboy's test results? I hope you are feeling okay.

DH is still on a trip in San Diego. He went to an event at the SD Zoo last night and I am mad; I wanted to go. However, our Columbus Zoo just passed the SD Zoo as the best one in the country...so pretty cool. I will be hitting our zoo next week when my friend comes up with her kids from FL.

Ahg, need to do some laundry and cleaning and get ready to load the trailer back up. I am only doing one test on Saturday that I really need to work on and it isn't until 1:14. Not going on Sunday since it is Father's Day:-)

Boocoo, if he is moving better now, then I'm sure the farrier continuing to bring the toe back as well as shoe with the NB shoes will help him further. He's going to need some time to grow new hoof before you notice a HUGE difference.

So my fiance and I took Lucy and Mir (Arab) trail riding this morning. We had Mir on a lead line just hand walking, and I was on Lucy. But she was being a huge PITA and Mir was behaving perfectly, so I switched horses in the middle. He was SOOOO wonderful. He only spooked once, and he did it in place, at the traffic on a really major road next to one part of the trail.

He trotted, came back to a halt easily, went in front of Lucy, behind Lucy, and even walked down to the water to let me bucket water over him after our ride. He is just such a superstar!

We checked the pick up out this morning. Chad was delightfully surprised by the condition and appearance. The pick up meets most of our expectations- 3/4 ton, extended cab (for a car seat in the back), 4:10 gear ratio for towing, 350 V8 engine, only 145000 miles, pre-owned by a responsible adult (bonus), all services for the past 6 years done by the same mechanic (bonus). We wish it were a four wheel drive, but we also understand that they would jack the price up too... Also, the driver's seat is a little torn up, but it's nothing that compromises the functionality of the seat. Chad is going to call the previous owner tonight just to see what he has to say about the truck. I'm crossing my fingers that we do a final purchase early next week.

Next, we're going to have to do some work on the trailer- a couple new tires, some new floor boards, adjust the wiring, weld the couple weakened spots... Gonna be kinda expensive, but the trailer is Chad's mom's trailer. She has offered to help out with some of the expense.

The other option is to find an inexpensive two horse bumper pull (or GN) that is under $2000. Chad doesn't like the bumper pull option...

Edited by Sylves

Yay for a truck!

I found my trailer on craigslist. Granted it needed some significant work, but my FIL was able to do all of it. I think she would not have been able to sell it otherwise, because it wasn't structurally sound.

Do you know anyone who welds?