RollingThunder

Leatherworkers Show Off Thread

Hey everyone! I thought it might be fun to post a thread where everyone who works in leather, whether tack or not, whether you just accessorize or whether you build from scratch, to post pics of their creations!

I'll start off with one.

My dove-wing spurstraps.

gallery_20846_737_36137.jpg

And the maker's mark!

gallery_20846_737_11546.jpg

So come on everyone! Let's see whatcha got!

I gotta say, I"m droolin over here RL!

I'm not sure if this counts as leatherworking, but it's a project I just completed this winter.

P1000289.jpg

P1000282.jpg

sideshot

P1000286.jpg

I'm not sure if I like the browband look with the fiador, or if I want to change it to a one ear...

That's really nice Megs! Did you do that like you slit a bleed knot, and then just pass the leather through itself?

Love the laced-on browband. Not exactly vaquero, but it looks like it really suits that bosal hanger nicely!

nice work!

Well, I started off by taking the measurements off of one of Will Ghormley's plans, then drew up my own. I wanted it to look clean, and color match to the grips as close as I possibly could get them to.

Here's the final verdict. Mind you, this was rushed, rushed, rushed. So the stamping isn't as crisp as it should be, and the stitching is perdy awful. And I did choose a piece of leather that was a bit beat up, and slicked the edge for a little wear. Hope ya'll like it! It's not great, but the Colt fits like a glove!

gallery_20846_970_37191.jpg

How do you make a long gun look longer? Picture it from this angle. Speaking of angles, instead of a stitch-together, or a toe-plug, I figured I'd leave the bottom open for when I shoot it, and it's still warm, it'll have ventilation to cool off.

gallery_20846_970_73850.jpg

And yes, I have a LOT of buffing left to do on this wax (Fiebings Leather Sheen aerosol wax). You can also see how I tried to hide the stitching in the crease lines with the scallop in between. I wasn't sure how this was gonna turn out when I did it, but I guess it looks ok. Well, as OK as can be for my hand-sewing.

gallery_20846_970_124608.jpg

Next one I do I'll take much more time on and do a much better job. This was taking a day off from other projects to try and get this done so I'll have a place to put my pistol while shooting, except for in it's soft case.

Hoka!

RL - It looks awesome to me! [Not Worthy]

Yup, I did it by slitting a hole in the middle of the leather and then passing the end through. I've never done any leather work before, and definitely don't know (or have the tools) to do any stitching, so that's where the knots came in. (as in how can I attach this without chicago screws and no sewing ability lol).

I like the hanger, but something about the browband & fiador looks messy to me. I keep staring at it, but have been too lazy to take it apart and see what it needs.

I thought I'll post some pics of some stuff I finally got done. Finished my gunbelt for my '51 Colt Navy. Here's some pics! Not an exact match for my holster, but it'll be better than just my regular belt.

gallery_20846_992_52624.jpg

You can see the difference in the dye work I did on the two pieces. One I did to make it look like it's brand new, and the other I added a little age to. I need to work on these techniques because they're not all that great. But they are progressing.

gallery_20846_992_46683.jpg

Generally though, the holster has a coat of Fiebings Leather Shene, but the belt is hand-buffed and waxed. The buffing came along really well, and I finished it off with Blackrock and a good brush buffing. The back of the belt still needs to be dyed.

gallery_20846_992_21995.jpg

Range marks and scuffs sort of fortuitously landed where there would be scuffs from sitting against a rough surface. Kinda gives it character, so the antiqued look sort of works here.

gallery_20846_992_71060.jpg

And it hangs nice on the hip.

gallery_20846_992_7354.jpg

Have a good night everyone! :D

Hey RT that came out great! I have a huge bag of leather scraps I just picked up to start playing with. Here is a pic of the boot tops my ex-husband made. Pretty cool.

Crap I can't get it to upload.

Edited by wrangler

Guest cowboy1980

oh man I am gonna love this. I will upload a bunch of stuff and post it out there. I am a self trained guy but love to work the trade. i do mostly tack and equipment, but once I was asked to prepare a new top of a roller skate fashioned like a cowboy boot.

good times.

My ex-husband made those. Had a crazy idea to make my Paul Bonds taller. So he got to messing around with a pattern and stitched it on there. He's always putting either an oak pattern or the wild rose pattern on his work. My spur straps are the wild rose pattern. One of these days I will upload a pic of my chinks and bag that are absolutely gorgeous.

Ideally you want your buckaroo boots to be tall enough to come to just below your knee. He and I are VERY long legged and that pair was a hair short. That's where the idea came from. Looks cool though!!

Oh year, that pair of spur straps were one of his first projects many moons ago.

Edited by wrangler

Very cool wrangler! My Olathe's are pretty tall, but maybe not tall enough. Regardless, though, I think I'll keep them at size. :D

Cowboy --- post away, hombre!

I'll post my most recent project on here. :D

I used to do a fair amount of stamping for awards, but got out of that end of the shows and just started competing. Sold my stamps. Sigh. 2 years later here I am with shows again and needing awards. I bought an alphabet & number set, yesterday I just purchased a smaller set and 1 tool for rope borders. Expensive to get back into it again.

DSC015061.jpg

I am doing belts and hat bands for the next show.

I'd be happy to take tips for dressing these types of things up. Problem always comes to money. Can't buy fancy buckles, conchos or bling. Trying to keep prizes at $5-10 each in cost. So that leaves it to me to do more tooling and dying.

I bought belt blanks from Tandy and I have 2 dyes and sealer. Sharpies for coloring the lettering.

You can always make your own stamps too, buddy. If you have access to a grinder, it's easy, but any metal files will work. Your stock can also be old heavy-duty bolts.

As for bling, you can always try Standard Rivet Company. Inexpensive, and a pretty wide variety.

As for borders, you can make your own bone-folder/imprinter as well. Find yourself any heavy piece of hard plastic or bone (deer antler works well) and file out a smooth-in and smooth-out groove, with a lip you can rest it against your work's edge with. The antler also makes slicking the edges nice, as well, because it burnishes leather really well.

RT- I love that holster! Well, i love everything you do... lol

Here's my creation! :)

HPIM1897.jpg

I just added the conchos...

Edited by CowgirlUp5707

RT that holster is to die for! I am guessing it goes on a belt? Like a normal belt? or what?

It goes on a gunbelt. Ranger style.

Mine is a scout style. A ranger style belt has it's body secured with a keeper, and it has a sewn on billet and chape.

I haven't got any pictures of the belt I made to match this, unfortunately. Batteries were drained on the cam, and I had to get the belt out the door. :(

Oh well, you live you learn.

Here is a headstall I just completed. Its nothing fancy mind you, just something to throw on the pony to ride in...

Bridle-Martingale016.jpg

BTW - RT, Very, very nice work!

Edited by c reis

RollingThunder I just opened this thread and showed it to my DH and he informed me to tell you that you are a god and now he wants to go buy a Colt just so he can hire you to make a holster for it. :tongue9:

Well C-Reis ... look at you go! That's some very nice even stitching you did there! Hand-done or machine stitched? Love the conchos, too! That's always a good way to steady the browband on a halter. Functional and attractive!

VAQHMA. LOL. Very funny. I'm far from a god. WAAAAY far from a God. If he wants to see amazing work, check out the Traditional Cowboy Arts Association members. Those are amazing leather craftsmen!

And he doesn't have to buy a Colt. You can find patterns for most anything that will sling lead. ;))

Hi ya RT,

It is Machine stitched on a Juki 1509NH flat bed machine. I use a guide with it to make sure I get an even stitch (yeah, I cheat a lil bit ) I've since changed the latigo on the concho's to a bleed knot and scrived down the buckle turn backs so they will lay flatter on her head. Anyway it was fun making it.