RollingThunder

Leatherworkers Show Off Thread

Well, its okay for the work I've been doing. We initially purchased it to sew tarp straps and the like as well as lighter leather goods. It isn't suitable for saddle work though as its just not a heavy enough machine.

Are you looking for a Machine? There are quite a few machines on the market that are not to terribly priced.

If you get a chance, check out the Tippmann Boss That design has been around for years! It's a hand crank, but it sure looks like it would sew through anything. I think it advertises it will sew through leather 3/4" thick. LOL, a person could get their leather work done and get a workout at the same time :winking:

Well C-Reis ... look at you go! That's some very nice even stitching you did there! Hand-done or machine stitched? Love the conchos, too! That's always a good way to steady the browband on a halter. Functional and attractive!

VAQHMA. LOL. Very funny. I'm far from a god. WAAAAY far from a God. If he wants to see amazing work, check out the Traditional Cowboy Arts Association members. Those are amazing leather craftsmen!

And he doesn't have to buy a Colt. You can find patterns for most anything that will sling lead. ;))

LOL he knows that. He's just always wanted a Colt so of course he's going to say he has to go out and buy one if he sees any valid excuse. ;) I'll have to tell him to go check that out too!

LOL. Traditions is offering the Pietta's in a brass frame. The arbor fit is dead-spot on, but the bolt usually needs a wee bit of work to fit exactly perfect. Cabela's also offers a Pietta. Both are pretty inexpensive. Mine is an Armi San Marco, and near as I can tell has Uberti components.

I really like the brass look, so I don't mind shooting a lighter powder charge for my .44. If he goes brass keep that in mind. And get some Brasso. LOL.

And don't let anyone tell you that Samuel Colt never made a Colt 1851 Navy in .44 cal. He did, he just never put it into mass production.

C reis -- yes they are. One is a 1918, and the other is a 1940.

I've been working on these belts for awards for a show. I've got a couple more finished and I did get some stone rivets set in those, but no new pictures yet. I also have been working on a leather strip for the back of a saddle blanket. I tooled and dyed it and I bought conchos to put on it. I'm just trying to figure out how best to attach to the blanket. I've never done any leather sewing and wondering how hard it is.

Anyway pics of belts.

6-13-09004.jpg

6-13-09006.jpg

6-13-09003.jpg

It looks more and more like you're picking up more tools there. Kinda fun how new tools spark the creativity.

Of course, some make you go back to the woodshed to sharpen your techniques a bit. LOL.

Get an overstitch wheel, about 5 per inch, and mark the holes you will need to sew through on your leather piece. Use a diamond hole punch (they come in multiple-tips) and punch the holes. Then use a bit of Super77 adhesive to tacky up the backside of the leather, and attach it to the saddle pad. If your sewing needle won't penetrate the saddle pad easily (not sure what material you are sewing), use an awl to open up a channel for the thread to come through. Use a two-needle stitch or a 1-2 rolling stitch.

Edited by RollingThunder

OK. So here's the lastest. More gunleather, LOL. Hope you guys ain't gettin' sick of this stuff.

First, no flash so you can see some of the detail.

gallery_20846_1072_35203.jpg

Now with the flash so you can get a better idea of the color.

gallery_20846_1072_25407.jpg

A close up on my really questionable stitching skills. All hand-done, by the way. And as uneven as it is, it's locked down tighter than Daisie Mae's chastity belt. So, pretty? No. Serviceable? Yes, and then some.

gallery_20846_1072_13655.jpg

The finish on this is hand-rubbed, a very tiny bit of gel antique dye over EVOO. The shine? About an hour or so of hand-buffing with a soft cloth. Nothing else.

gallery_20846_1072_73336.jpg

Hope ya'll liked it!

A few pictures of my more recent projects....

Hat bands made as awards for a show this weekend:

7-22-09010.jpg

Belts for the same show:

7-22-09014.jpg

7-22-09015.jpg

7-22-09016.jpg

And a saddle blanket I did for myself. I used a belt blank and cut it to length. Stamped, stained, purchased the conchos and added the crystals, then punched holes and hand stitched it on. Extremely time consuming. But I only have about $25 in materials plus the blanket for $40. The gal in town that makes them gets anywhere from $150-200 for a blanket.

7-22-09011.jpg

7-22-09012.jpg

7-22-09013.jpg

Nice work RT. What weight of leather are you using for the holster?

Spotted T, Love the conchos on the blankets! Looks really good.

Here is a few pic's of a notebook I just made for my parents birthday. Its the first "real" project I've tooled since HS. Anyway, It was fun to make.

notebook006.jpg

notebook005.jpg

I agree. That looks fantastic! High school was ... what ... a few months back, right?

Right?

LOL.

Nice work, hon!

That's 9 oz. Royal Meadow #1 hide. Not Wickett and Craig, but close enough for me at the moment. Money being something that doesn't grow on trees around here.

Thanks everyone,

Lol, RT I wish HS was only a couple months back!! Then at least I'd remember most of this stuff. As of now, I have to keep referring to a book, and the original pictures of what the end result is supposed to look like to make anything come out looking half way decent. Takes alot of time.

I've been practicing on basketweave. I can't seem to keep the lines straight to save my soul. Do you have any tips on this???

Your holsters and work always look professional!! Are you marketing them???

The leather I used for the notebook was a single shoulder of TLC 7/8 oz. I know what you mean about the more expensive leather.

I market them lightly. The problem is, most guys are looking for a deal these days. "I'll give ya 20 bucks a piece, and hey, it'll help get your name out there."

Fella, if I wanted my name out there I'd hang a shingle, and if I wanted to get taken advantage of I'd be listening to ... a politician. LOL.

Draw a straight baseline. After a few rows, draw another baseline to refresh your rows. After a few more rows, finish your beer and re-case and finish the leather after you sober up.

Kidding.

Once I'm done with the piece I'm working on, I'll take a small spoon and go across the lines and smooth them out in the creases.

Other than that, take your time, and practice, practice, practice.

[ROTFL]

Thanks for the tip RT, I'll give it a try. Am working with an itty bitty basket weave tool and its a real pain.

Seems everyone is looking for a bargin RT. Cant blame them really but seriously... $20.00 probably wont cover the leather and materials, let alone your time. I think most people dont realize how much time it really takes to do this stuff or the patience involved. If they did they would know the real value of the product.

Ok ya'll, so be gentle on this set. JDAlan, resident non-people-thumping bible thumper over on the cascity.com forums, asked me to make him some spur leather to go with some new spurs he picked up recently. So this is a little pictorial of their making. It took very little time, and even though he said he didn't mind them looking brand new, I geve them a moderate aging and grunging, so they'd have a little bit of a "lived-in" look when he debuted them at Piru.

Here's the basic design. JD doesn't get dove wings. Because of the size of his boots, he gets goose wings. Thes straps are a full 4" or so larger than most of my straps that I've made. They mate up to the 11 3/4" spread he sent me in a piece of leather. That's almost a foot of wrap around that foot.

gallery_20846_1096_1435.jpg

I designed the strap so it would have some basketweave on it, placed at a spot and angle that would aid in the bend around the boot. I also designed it to have some open areas where only the leather showed so some color would come through.

gallery_20846_1096_5785.jpg

I picked up some domed spots from Standard Rivet Company, and a couple of big ol' conchos, with roses in gold and bronze.

gallery_20846_1096_1730.jpg

From there, I set about coloring them up. I got a good mahogany going on the piece, and then lifted some of the color with some alcohol, which worked surprisingly well. After I got the color I wanted, I took a highlight stain of briar brown and started to add some grunge to them, to give them a bit of age.

gallery_20846_1096_26588.jpg

I stitched in the spur button leather on the outside of the wing, and then attached the concho. Sorry about the glare. These conchos really are nice, and have a slight dome to them that adds some substance to their appearance.

gallery_20846_1096_26636.jpg

I also added some hand-scrolling on the insides, and worked the antique in a bit to make them appear a bit older. Not exactly museum-replicas, but they do look like they have a patina of age about them.

gallery_20846_1096_24140.jpg

It came off looking alright in the basket weave as well.

gallery_20846_1096_6275.jpg

And worked into the lines and the maker's mark well too. You can also see the mottled appearance of the leather with the lift.

gallery_20846_1096_13124.jpg

I hand-buffed the pieces, so this is without any sealing coat at all, I'll apply a light coat of carnauba cream and ship them out in the morning to Oregon.

Edited by RollingThunder

Nice work RT. Looks like you have quite a bit of time involved in those with the spots, carving and basketweave etc. I really like them!!

MSN-Emoticon-thums-up-059.gif

About 3 and a half hours. Not counting design, and order time. LOL. I never charge for shopping. :D

Me either :happy0203: Shoppings part of the fun of this! I esp enjoy going into tandy.

So here's the never-ending project (mainly because a whole mess of emergencies stuck it on the back burner here and there).

Prairie Rose's chinks. Leather supplied by the one, the only, Jack Baumgartner. Modeled by my neighbor's daughter, Sam. No, the chinks didn't fit her, but I had to get them on someone for these pics, and Sam was the only female available aside from Tori, and Tori is 9.

The photos aren't very good, but I'll upload some more later. This at least shows them off, so Michelle can see what is header her way.

gallery_20846_1100_8748.jpg

There are 3 separate flowers on these chinks. Two on the left hip, one on the right. The conchos are two-tone brass and nickel, and the billets, chapes, and straps are all sueded latigo splits. The back lacing is Dr. Jackson Black Latigo. All the stitching is hand-sewn. There is one concho of a "Prairie Rose" on the back of the billets.

The color is a mixture of Briar Brown highlight and EVOO. Tried not to get it too red, because if it was darker it might have looked a bit like ... well ... rodeo chaps. LOL.

gallery_20846_1100_19518.jpg

The back panels are reinforced with the same 9 oz. leather as the hip and thigh plates, and held in place with sueded latigo splits hand-sewn to enclose chap snaps. The D-Rings are reinforced with double thickness body hide, and are bleed-knotted to the body of the chinks through 9 oz. leather thigh plates and 7 oz. leather conchos with natural-finish edges under. All leather edges are hand-burnished with oil. The finish on all leather pieces is Eco-Flo Super Sheen.

gallery_20846_1100_2732.jpg

Here's a close-up of the Rose between the two belt panels.

gallery_20846_1100_3252.jpg

And here's a detail shot of the left-hand side's floral tooling.

gallery_20846_1100_64494.jpg

Enjoy!

Ok, I don't hold a candle to the previous projects, but here's my favorite creations:

I did the bead work, a much more talented man than myself did the leather. I was the brains, he was the talent!

100_1741.jpg

Browband of trail bridle. I also have matching breast collar:

100_1745.jpg

100_1747.jpg

100_1744.jpg

Someday, I'd love to get into leather work, just don't have the time or money right now!