RollingThunder

Leatherworkers Show Off Thread

WOW RT!! :twitch: You sure out did yourself with those chinks!! That is fantastic work!! Prairie rose is sure to be pleased! Good Job!!

trails4me, Thats very Nice beadwork! It sure sets that bridle off! Good Job

Edited by c reis

I recall seeing that before somwhere! Beadwork is really tough to do well, and that looks like it was done well! Nice stuff!

Keep going, and keep posting!

Edited by RollingThunder

I recall seeing that before somwhere! Beadwork is really tough to do well, and that looks like it was done well! Nice stuff!

Keep going, and keep posting!

I posted pictures on another topic awhile back.

Beadwork is tough, but once you get it and string your loom right, it's fun. I cannot do it without my loom, I know some crafters can, but not this one!

Thanks [smiley Wavey]

I need to get the loom out and do some more, it's been years since I made those.

Tandy leather went out of business, maybe they are online now?

Beautiful chinks RT! And the beadwork... I can appreciate. Used to do a lot of my own, but never had them made into anything. Somewhere are several finished strips waiting... waiting...

Yo chickie! Should break it out, take some pics and post it!

Here's my latest. It's a belt for Jessica Colvin, aka Cutter123. Had to bling it up a teensy bit because it's for a trophy buckle. Got some close ups so you guys can see it warts and all. EVOO and Gel Antique Tan with a teensy bit of Briar Brown highlight, with bright nickel spots.

gallery_20846_1115_18886.jpg

gallery_20846_1115_12804.jpg

Close up of the spots.

gallery_20846_1115_30193.jpg

gallery_20846_1115_90339.jpg

The tooling. It's slowly getting better. Not great by any means, but better.

gallery_20846_1115_90956.jpg

But wait, there's more!

Ken Parker's dog training pouch. It's for carrying treats for his pups in training, as well as for his older dogs. The inside is waxed so the treats don't rot the leather.

gallery_20846_1116_108344.jpg

gallery_20846_1116_23663.jpg

It's also custom monogrammed. He originally wanted it to say "Parker's Dog Training" however that would have been a LOT of small words and would have been really tough to do in leather. LOL. Not impossible, but really would have been crammed. The monogram was much more tasteful.

gallery_20846_1116_62036.jpg

gallery_20846_1116_59894.jpg

The billet locks by passing through a keeper and the spots hold it in place. It has just enough slip to come back when you pull it, but holds when it's in there.

gallery_20846_1116_50792.jpg

gallery_20846_1116_62687.jpg

I've been busy making saddle crosses this past week. Thought I'd post a few of them.

This is a hand tooled saddle cross with a floral border, Leather rosette and an antique silver barrel racer concho w/ rope edge and light blue Rivet back Rhinestones. Its been finished with leather sheen.

barrelblue.jpg

This cross is also hand tooled with a barbed wire design. It has a 2" hand tooled leather rosette w/floral tooling around the borders along with a 1 1/2" bronc rider concho. It to has been finished with leather sheen.

BroncCross.jpg

This is a sorta unique saddle cross, as you dont see to many that have latigo bleed knots. It has a hand tooled leather rosette w/floral border, a 1" star slotted concho and I've used an basket weave arrow design on it.

saddlecross%20018.jpg

This saddle cross has an antique berry concho inset in a black spur rowel with Clear Swarovski Crystals added to the tips on the rowels. I've also added the stamped the cross with the barbed wire design.

antiquespurCLR-Crystals.jpg

Enjoy!

Edited by c reis

Thanks RT. Cutter is going to be very pleased with her belt! You did a fantastic job on it!! I love the studs and they way you have them placed. I'm gonna have to get some and put them on a few saddle crosses. They are very appealing!!

You know, I was at TSC the other day and noticed a few of their headstalls were tied with latigo on the buckle turnbacks. I didn't know they were doing this. I've always thought chicago screws were used, at least all the bridles I have are that way. You wouldn't know how to tie these would you? It appeared that the latigo was ran back through on top of the leather on the bottom side. It didn't look like the 3 hole latigo tie they use on the cinch straps, so needless to say, this new style is a bit confounding...

Thanks,

Cheryl

You mean down where the bit attaches? Double the cheekpiece over and punch a triangle of holes, pointing up towards the browband. Lace the latigo through the bottom two holes and out the back, then both up through the top hole, coming back out the front again. Pull them through and slide them underneath the loop you made initially and snug down.

Is that what you mean?

Edited by RollingThunder

No its actually the buckle on the cheek peices. Here's a pic to better explain it. The leather is turned back over the buckle and I've used chicago screws with loctite to secure it. I'm wondering if the latigo tie method you spoke of, is the same I've seen used on other headstalls???

headstallBUCKLE.jpg

I haven't seen those, but I would wonder about a triangle compromising the integrity of the piece. Were they in a row or a triangle? It would work in a row as well, just a little different. You'd go in with both ends at the number 1 and 3 holes, come back out with both end of the number two hole, and pull the excess down.

Another way would simply be to booger-red a button, and lace it through at least three sets of holes (three bites is a knot or tie scenario that will not likely slip). The latigo, if it's heavy enough, will grip the cheek leather at the holes simply because of it's tanning process with the extra waxes and oils.

Jack ... you have any idea on this?

I haven't seen those, but I would wonder about a triangle compromising the integrity of the piece. Were they in a row or a triangle? It would work in a row as well, just a little different. You'd go in with both ends at the number 1 and 3 holes, come back out with both end of the number two hole, and pull the excess down.

Another way would simply be to booger-red a button, and lace it through at least three sets of holes (three bites is a knot or tie scenario that will not likely slip). The latigo, if it's heavy enough, will grip the cheek leather at the holes simply because of it's tanning process with the extra waxes and oils.

Jack ... you have any idea on this?

RT, they looked like the latigo was wrapped around the leather where the first chicago screw is right below the buckle, and a second wrap was where the second screw is located. Then the latigo was somehow ran between the two under the wraps. I haven't seen anything like it. Looked like there was only 1 punch where the screws would be too...

Here's a pic, with the off brown being how the latigo looked on the back

side.latigoloop.jpg

Trails4me - beautiful beadwork!! Where do you get your beads from? I do some beadwork also and just wondering where you get yours. They are all REALLY uniform in size!! Nice job!!

If you click on this pic you can see it bigger and it has the backside on it.

P1000289.jpg

I'm actually trying to remember what I did. I'll have to take a look at it when I get home in a few hours.

Whipped together a rifle sling yesterday for my new SKS. Double rivets up top, and stitched as well.

gallery_20846_1164_1539.jpg

Hand sewn and hand buffed to a shine. The thread is four-core right hand twist wax-coated poly. Very heavy duty stuff. Probably overkill, as this was more or less just a mock up. Hence the oversized snaps.

gallery_20846_1164_76289.jpg

Sueded latigo keeper with a tab sewn in to make it easier to pull, but stay snug.

gallery_20846_1164_9883.jpg

gallery_20846_1164_16271.jpg

Pretty large snaps, but all I had at the time, LOL.

gallery_20846_1164_13565.jpg

Enjoy!

New leather - .357 S&W custom holster, right hand draw, with a slight cant forward. The holster doesn't need it, but the slip strap is tightly snugged into the leather cross-piece, and does not pull out without some SERIOUS effort. Can be snugged behind the backstrap, or the hammer, then slipped over the front and pulled down out of the way when you need to.

gallery_20846_608_3988.jpg

gallery_20846_608_19216.jpg

Haven't got a really good pic of the custom embossing ... but I'll get one soon pards!

QUOTE (Susie B @ Aug 20 2009, 06:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Trails4me - beautiful beadwork!! Where do you get your beads from? I do some beadwork also and just wondering where you get yours. They are all REALLY uniform in size!! Nice job!!

Sorry, haven't been on this forum area in awhile!

I bought the beads pictured at Tandy Leather when they were in Davenport. You can order online now. I've found **** Blick to have them too. You'll want glass beeds, size 10/0 (I think!) They're like 2.50/package, so start with only a few and see what you like. I just bought a new loom on ebay, it was only like 5 dollars. They sell the big wooden looms, but I have a heck of a time threading them. When you thread your loom, make sure to keep the thread tight! You can also use waxed dental floss as thread. I dont like the elastic/stretchy stuff. My beadwork is over 15 years old, and I trailride with it all the time, holds up fine.

I started a new project this summer, I'm beading 24 browbands for my son's drill team! They're easy, just simple red, white and blue. Now I've just gotta find a saddlemaker that will sew them in a browband for me! My old saddlemaker died about 10 years ago [Me Cry]

Thanks again, sorry for being slow to get back to you!

LOL, it won't let me say D ck Blick!!!! HAHAH

Edited by trails4me

My newest creation!

Its a piece of all three of my horses hair braided together and then wrapped with suede and tied with hemp string. If you hadnt guessed, its a rear view mirror decoration... lol

HPIM2518.jpg

HPIM2520.jpg

HPIM2522.jpg

I'll get a pic of it hanging in my truck tomorrow. :)

Edited by CowgirlUp5707

That is a wonderful tribute to your horse. I've seen fobs made of horsehair after the horse passes away as a tribute. I bet this idea could even make a very nice shoo-fly too!