RollingThunder

Leatherworkers Show Off Thread

Thanks RT :)

I forgot to get a pic of it hanging... I will tomorrow, though.

Its actually a redo of what i had in there. I didnt like how i put it together last time, so the suede gave me a reason to take it out and make it better.

If i had more horse hair, I would LOVE to try a shoo-fly... but i dont know where to get anymore!

I might be able to get it from Rio's bridle path next spring... it hasnt been clipped since last year. lol

WOW! All of you guys are so talented!

Rolling Thunder- How did you get started hand tooling? And is your stitching done by hand or do you use a machine? I have been thinking about starting to try to make some chaps or chinks but I am not great at hand sewing, although I could practice.

Picked up tools, and butchered the leather until someone said, "you know, that looks cool."

All my stuff is sewn by hand if it's a stressed piece. Which basically means, there isn't a lot that is machine sewn.

I wouldn't tackle chaps or chinks as a first project unless you are used to cutting and sewing clothing, even with a machine.

Start first, perhaps with a tandy kit. A cell phone case or something would be easier.

BTW, here are some chaps I am finally getting around to making for myself. The stamp design is the same as my gunleather.

This is the leather matched up, two-toned deertan fringe from the hip plates, on chocolate brown body, with antiqued tan on the hip plates and the thigh and calf plates.

gallery_20846_608_36011.jpg

Here it is glued on.

gallery_20846_608_79896.jpg

And sewn on with 4-cord right hand twist waxed poly. Big, thick, heavy and there is no way you break this stuff.

gallery_20846_608_18204.jpg

And this is the booger-red buttons (as jack calls them) that I'll use to secure all the leg plates, instead of snaps or zippers. This is an old school set of batwings that should look pretty good with my gunleather and my old Colt Navy hanging from the side. Not period correct by any means, but a little bit here and there. And very comfy.

gallery_20846_608_33292.jpg

Enjoy!

Ok, so I have never been on this board before, but ummmm RT....WOZAS! [shocked] AMAZING looking chaps you got there! BOY oh BOY are you the talented one. THe daughter didnt do too bad on the photography. Loved the cowboy six shooter pics [Jump] [Jump]

RT I gotta ask! I thiiink you do, but you do custom work, right? I could use a pair of those SPIFFY chaps. of course they would be english full chaps, with zippers down the side, but i think your work is GORGEOUS...!

yup...not like chinks, definitely form fitting. i'll PM you when I think about what I want a little more :) something like these: (i hate these, they dont fit me well at all and make my legs looks like there HUGE. and i dig flashy colors, which is everything these arent!)

CIMG5629.jpg

Edited by paintpony1

Those are a bit big for English aren't they ... and quite possibly a bit short (hard to tell)? You should ride with breeches and see what they feel like. You might just want to have them taken in a bit.

Oh, and spray painted for brighter color. LOL.

haha, i find chaps and boots easier to throw on. theyre the right length for english, just way too big in the thigh. i've been wanting custom chaps for SO long now haha!

spraypaint? thats a dang good idea. man i love my bright colors...

649778435_gRs5v-O.jpg

told ya :happy0203:

haha, thanks...i love being short!

i'll be in touch, RT. I hate hijacking this thread, so im done with that. i'll PM you when I figure out what i want.

Well folks, here's the latest. Been fairly busy, so don't hold it against a pard. I miss all of ya'll!

This was a project I just finished, and I shot some pics of it while I was adjusting it. It was not slicked or final-oiled, so please overlook those issues. :D The pistol is a S&W Combat Masterpiece owned by Payton Miller. Not sure if you guys know who he is or not. He's the editor of Guns & Ammo.

20375_103101949715204_100000461974144_79743_859206_n.jpg

20375_103101953048537_100000461974144_79744_7873953_n.jpg

20375_103101956381870_100000461974144_79745_1375538_n.jpg

20375_103101963048536_100000461974144_79747_8136203_n.jpg

20375_103101966381869_100000461974144_79748_3925176_n.jpg

20375_103101969715202_100000461974144_79749_6458884_n.jpg

20375_103101973048535_100000461974144_79750_2308104_n.jpg

I just finished my first big leather project (well, arguably, it's quite small). I've done a lot of fringe before, but that's about it.

It's a little different that the things already posted on this thread, but I'm stoked to show it off, so here it is. It's on a mannequin, so I don't reckon it's inappropriate for HC, just a little weird. So, without further ado, here is my first burlesque cowgirl outfit. ("My" as in I made it, not as in I'm gonna wear it. Oh, no, it's not for me at all!)

[Crazy]

IMG_2626.jpg

I need to flatten out the wavy bits in the tan fringe- I used suede from a jacket I got at a thrift store, so it already had some shape to it.

Thanks RollingThunder! I'm glad it amused ya. You make some really nice stuff!

Recycled is the way to go- it's so much cheaper. All of my shirts/skirts/etc with leather fringe- all of it came from thrift store finds.

This cowgirl project made me a little cocky though, and I started in on a mostly vinyl outfit. I shoulda stuck with leather, I'm about to pull out all my hair over this one!

Awesome Rolling, I came to this thread looking for your holsters I just put money down on a 45 Ruger Vaquero. I want a holster to match the slobber straps a friend on here made me. They are the best deep chocolate. Look for a pm from me please Soni

Are the slobber straps the ones I made for you? Hope you like them.

We just bought another place and there's a tree in the yard I can hang the cowboy boot birdhouse from.

It's purdy! Thanks.

Edited by Jack Baumgartner

I just wanted to bump this up and tell everyone that I LOVE looking at your projects. I decided las night that I want to learn more about leather work, maybe not create my own pieces, but at least learn.

I wanna see more pictures!!