Sign in to follow this  
Katie Schuur

Oh How Wonderful......

Yesterday morning when I went outside to feed the horses I noticed Tuff wasn't walking as fast as the others, and worse yet he seemed to be favoring one of his front legs. I immediately put him in a stall and checked him over. No swelling that I could see, no obvious injuries, no rock or foreign debris in his hoof. I am baffled. He is weight bearing and ambulatory, he just favors the front left leg. I rubbed his leg down with mineral ice, and told myself to give it a day to see if it gets any better. Standing alone with Tuff in the barn - I had a tube of bute paste in my hand but quickly put it away deciding that it would be a bad idea to mask any symptoms and when symptoms are masked because a horse is on pain meds he could make his injury worse. I figured I'd wait this one out a little bit, in the hopes that his limp would get better over night.

So now it's today, and he is still limping. Ambulatory, weight-bearing - but limping a bit. I put a call in to my farrier so he could come check him over to see if there are any hoof abscesses, cracks, founder, thrush or anything that he could see that would be causing this. He should be arriving soon, so I will be sure to update you on his findings. If he can't find any obvious reasoning for the limp I'll take things from there. Please keep us in your thoughts again!

Megs - bubble wrap would be an incredible idea! But I'm beginning to think he might find a way to hurt himself with it, LOL!

The farrier just left, and he noticed a small, very minimal amount of swelling that I didn't notice. It is just right above his cannon bone. He thinks Tuff was just playing around a bit too hard, stepped in a hole perhaps or just twisted his ankle somehow. He doesn't think it's anything too serious, and he doesn't think there's any real internal injury/ligament or bone damage. Nothing that a little R&R won't fix in his opinion. So I'll just keep an eye on him, and rub some liniment on it while keeping him in the stall for the next couple of days. If there's no improvement by then I'll have to call the vet out.

I wouldn't keep him stalled.

If you stall him you may make him stock up.

That will mask any swelling you need to know about.

I'd rub his leg with liniment after cold hosing and leave him alone.

I wouldn't keep him stalled.

If you stall him you may make him stock up.

That will mask any swelling you need to know about.

I'd rub his leg with liniment after cold hosing and leave him alone.

Well, funny thing is that I had to run off to the feedstore to buy some hay so Tuff has been out to pasture for the past couple of hours. It sure would be much more convenient to leave him out there, lol! I put some DMSO on his swelling, so hopefully that'll help him out a bit.

place him a smaller pen, buyt keep watch of it. Happened to my guy. I think my gelding had run him to hard and he put his breaks on quick, which strained his knee. He's not limping anymore, and weve become closer.

I agree w/ EB, if you can put him in a smaller pen alone. How about a padded paddock, I have one like Tuff and wish I could pad the paddock. You are a great mommy to that little guy! Keep up the good work. I look forward to seeing him all grown up.