Sign in to follow this  
ShelbyDuh

Got Accepted Into A Working Student Position!

Also on General Horse Talk:::

So I've been wanting to get a working student job at a barn for a while now, because I can't really afford lessons. I couldn't seem to find anything in my area, so I went online. I found 2 possible places in Virginia and 1 in North Carolina. I emailed the three places some information about myself and that I was very interested in their program for this summer. One barn was a dressage barn with an FEI trainer and several good horses. Another was an eventing barn, and the third was a barn that retrained OTTB to be jumpers, hunters, dressage horses, etc.

Almost immediately the dressage barn emailed me back. We've been emailing back and forth for 2 days now and it's pretty positive that I'm going to be working there this summer! I can't wait!!!! The barn/company is relatively new, created in 2005, I believe. There are 3 trainers. I can bring Tucker with me and he'll be pasture boarded at the barn. I'll be living in a spare bedroom at someone's house. There's also another student in the other spare bedroom; we'll share a bathroom.

The barn is 3 hours and 43 minutes away from home, so this is going to be a big move for me and Tucker. I have a feeling we're gonna get really tight after this. I've never been this far from home or gone for this long. Tucker's never been away from Chance for more than a few hours. We'll only have eachother to lean on.

I'm going to be getting paid every week and I'll be working like normal, and getting training/lessons as well. I absolutely cannot wait. For me, this is the opportunity of a lifetime. I told one of the trainers (the one I've been emailing) that I'm probably not up to their standards, but I'm willing to give 110% to learn and help out in any way I can. I was worried they wouldn't accept me because of my lack of experience...she said that any gap in experience can be overcome yay.gif

But I'm accepted and I think I'll be leaving on the 15th of June and coming back at the end of August sometime. I have a lot to sort out and get done before I leave. I have to go shopping and go to the dentist and get everything ready to go. My parents are kind of wary and being really slow about things. I'm rushing around trying to get everything straight so I can leave ASAP. My dad doesn't really want me to go, but my mom is slightly willing. But both aren't really helping me. I feel like I'm trying to shove an elephant down my driveway.

I'm soooo excited, but really really nervous. I don't want to embarrass myself in front of these people. It looks really top notch on the website and here I am, a little Western rider with a 14.3hh QH, next to those elite riders and there 3000ft tall monster warmbloods and such.

I had to tell someone. I've told most of my friends already. So now I'm telling Horsecity jump.gif

Thanks for reading!!

Sounds awesome. I remember when I was a working student. Hard work, but worth it. I did have a monster of a boss tho and I often had to push her to get the training I was there for. Sometimes I ended up doing all of the work, but it never went unnoticed. I think this will be the best option for you. Taking lessons is good, but this will teach you to teach a horse something, not just to make a horse do something it already knows how to do.

Keep us updated, but I would never post the name of the farm you are working at for privacy reasons, but we would like to know everything else.

Thanks! I'm hoping it works out nicely and the people are nice. I didn't use the name and I don't plan to unless some is really curious and PMs me. I'm not sure if I'll have access to a computer or not. I know I need to go to a library or something because I have some summer assignments to do for school.

Is it here in NC?

Sounds cool! Always wanted to do that . . . and if the economy stays crap and I can't get a job when I graduate, I might as well! lol!

No, it's here in VA. The pay will be barely enough to feed myself, so I don't think I'll be making much of a profit, but I'm sure I'll learn a ton, which is what I want [Jump]

Oh, totally!! That's what I kept telling my parents. When they were pretty wary, I'd tell them how good of a deal it is and how I'll be getting top notch education/training, almost for free!

Tucker will be on pasture board (really cheap) and they'll supply his feed as well. So it seems like the only thing I'm paying for, that's necessary, is MY food and farrier/vet/dewormer.

Good luck! You will learn a ton!! You are right...no money in the WS area. hehe. Used to call them working slaves but the experience you get out of it (hopefully) is definately worth it!

I did a WS position for 1 1/2yrs. I had a blast and it was very educational!

Yup! I'm here now and enjoying it. I had my first longe line lesson today on this massive horse. I could barely sit his trot because his stride was so big and it just felt really really weird to me. I'll type a huge post at the end of the week or something with some pics maybe. If that's legal...maybe not.