Sign in to follow this  
Lightning Strikes Twice

Which Stirrup Leather Length

http://www.ehow.com/how_4542606_buy-stirrup-leathers.html

Lots of good info here. One thing to take into consideration is whether others will be using the saddle also. If so, you may want to go a little longer and put up with the extra leather. I don't like really thick leathers. Dressage leathers can come with the buckles at the ankle with buckle covers which are really nice, but pricey.

Edited by Cedarfield Farm

As Cedarfield said, maybe go with a bit longer if others are going to be using the saddle. The 57" perhaps. I use a 60" or longer and I am 5'9" so don't go with that long.

60" is ridiculously long though...

Not when your legs are as long as mine!!! 60" is barely long enough actually.

Tempi, if I only add 20" to my inseam my leathers would be too short! :confused0024:

Not when your legs are as long as mine!!! 60" is barely long enough actually.

Tempi, if I only add 20" to my inseam my leathers would be too short! :confused0024:

Then you're the odd one out :winking:

That rule doesn't work for me either. My inseam is 33", and no way would the 54" leathers be long enough. I could maybe get by with 57" if I didn't want them to tuck into my keepers. Mine are 60" and work about perfectly.

Maybe that rule is for leathers for a CC saddle.

I'm 5'0 and my inseam is 27 inches. I just got brand new leathers and they are 56 inches. I have to ride with them on the shortest hole.

I don't think the add 20 rule would work for me either--even the kid's leathers start at 50 inches :questionicon:

Okayyy, 57 it is, thanks guys! Nobody else will ride in this saddle except my instructor, once in a blue moon, who is the same height as me LOL. So that rules out that issue :smilie:

Apparently you guys are the exception to the rule lmao. Someone just has to be different :winking: Off to place my order :happy0203:

I'm 5'0 and my inseam is 27 inches. I just got brand new leathers and they are 56 inches. I have to ride with them on the shortest hole.

I don't think the add 20 rule would work for me either--even the kid's leathers start at 50 inches :questionicon:

Then maybe it's my waistline I'm adding to? Eh. I give up.

lol Tempi--

that holding your stirrup up against your armpit to check the length doesn't work for me either. Maybe I'm just mostly legs, but on a short frame so it totally screws up the formula?

Most of these "rules of thumb" (like the stirrup to your armpit) are meant for AP type saddles. You'll be shorter for a jumping or CC saddle and longer for dressage, sometimes greatly so. :winking: