Sign in to follow this  
gonedunit225

Thin Mare With 1 Yr Old Stud

I wasn't going to reply again but I can't help it. I have concern for this mare and honestly, it sounds like you are telling stories to CYA.

Initially, you said:

she was a rescue and needs to gain another 100 lbs i think.

That was Monday. Now today you say:

AND I DONT THINK SHE NEEDS TO GAIN ANOTHER 100 LBS. MAYBE 50 TOPS THE WAY SHES LOOKING NOW.

So she's gained 50 lbs. in 4 days?

You also stated they were "never" in this condition while "in your care". Well, yeah, they were. Because if you still owned them, they were in your care whether you are on the other side of the country or next door. Own up to it.

And realize, at 18, with 3 horses, working 3 jobs, and you still are having problems? When will you even have time to SEE these horses, let alone ride them? You are in over your head, I'm afraid and don't want to see it/admit it. Trust me, been there myself. We've cut our herd almost in half from what it was 6 months ago. And have more to move. And I'm 49, married, have 2 incomes and the horses live with us.

You said you've already reserved 8 bales for the winter. What size bales? The average horse will eat 600-800 lbs. of hay per month if there is no grazing, depending on the size and type of horse. So figure at least 1 ton per month for 3 horses, or at least 3/4 of a ton for 2 horses. Every month. In the midwest, you are likely going to have to feed at least 4 months out of the winter, correct? So if you CAN'T sell your 3rd horse and you are stuck with him or her thru the winter, you need to figure on at least 4 ton; 6 ton would be safer. Plus grain, if you grain your horses. And salt/minerals, plus farrier, shots, wormer, etc. It adds up. And if you are teaching (at 18?) during the school year, you may have time for a part time job here and there but probably not a lot of time for the horses. Honestly, we aren't trying to "attack" you. But we are horse people. And we care, about the horses. Don't be one of those people that the rescues have to rescue horses from please.

Honey, if you don't know how, 'breeding', works...you need to get rid of ALL your horses, because you don't know enough about them....period.

Typically, people who rescue horses, are taking them from a bad situation, and putting them into a better one, which doesn't sound like what you have done....at all.

Edited by equicrzy

I also hope that the 8 bales is a typo. If its square bales? THat will not go far..My 3 horses eat a whole bale each..so thats three bales a day. So in two days I would have 6 bales used up!!

Scarey thought....

You're joking right? Only a moron wouldn't know this simple equation:

p enis [aka balls & semen] + vagina [aka ovaries & eggs] = baby.

'nuff said.

Get rid of the first or second part of that baby, and it will eliminate the chance of the third part.

First drop the name calling. That is not called for on the forums.

And in my opinion the rest of the reply is sarcastic. And you do not need to explain like that.

I will be happy to clean up this thread for the ones that are calling names and being sarcastic.

Or you can do that for yourselves.

First and foremost. This forum is here to help others ask questions and learn. The ones here that have done just that.To try and educate and answer the question, Good for you!!!

The ones who are name calling and being sarcastic. This forum is not the place for it.

You can get a point across with out being rude about it.

Anyone who posts here. Has to realize what types of answers they might get. And be open to hearing what they might not want to hear.

But the ones answering.Also need to watch with the name calling and out and out rudeness.

I know you can do that. Because I see it being done properly on this thread.

This whole post sounds "fishy".

Substitute Teacher who can't spell and doesn't know how horses make babies. The constant changing of the story.

The mare may be kicking at him because she's already bred.

From the OP's post the horses went from one bad situation to another.

I admit, there are parts of this story that don't mesh to me and the OP has changed or modified it more than once. As in any situation, there is often more than we know going on behind the scenes. And yes, one of the possibilities is this mare is already pregnant and another is the OP was wanting to breed the mare. Truth is, that is something we can not know "for sure".

However, I agree with Tuck. This is NOT a place to belittle or berate someone for their CHOICE. We can advise against what we feel is a bad choice but really, we do not need to demean the poster. It never helps the situation.

I'm sorry for any part I may have had in this. I know Tuck's post wasn't pointed at me or any one person directly, but to the group posting to this particular thread, and others that may appear like it.

We can't educate, and help both the horse and the human out, by flaming the poster. We can get our point across tactfully, with professionalism and courtesy. This particular OP may have been around horses for a long time and not realized a young stud can breed. Just remember ... none of us were born with this knowledge -- we all had to start somewhere!

:happy0203:

Just sayin' ...

i dont care if you think it all sounds fishy. yes i am a sub. if its beyond any of you think that maybe i took an excelerated progrm and finished college already than thats your fault. i started college at 16 because i was homeschooled. i dont care what you think about that.

and the weight issue was me just guessing how much she needed to gain.

and i dont have to explain myself to any of you. at this point im just going to do what i want to do and if that means breeding her then fine. and i do know how horses make friggin babies Jackie!!!! my only question was if a stallion that young can do anything.because i know with cats and dogs theres a cut off age i think all of you are extremely judgemental.

and btw it wasnt a typo yes 8 bales. 1550lbs each

yes i know i have alot to learn but i dont appreciate the name calling and sarcasm

if any of you still want pics ill try to get them tomorrow.

Edited by gonedunit225

second i wasnt completely honest. i jst wanted to see if it was posible

This right here made me shut down completely. If you weren't completely honest, why should we trust ANYTHING you said?

I know i don't.

Bumper

Hmmm, I was homeschooled as well..But there was no way I could have finished when I was 16. I finished early and I was 18?

Well, All I can say to you Gone....Is that if you want Honest Help from people on here?? You have to be honest in the first place.

i dont care if you dont believe me. as of now i dont care what anyone has to say

Remember, you asked for advice and began with lies or half truths. You created the bed you now lie in. Pun intended.

Bumper

I would expect better grammar and manners from a home schooled 18 year old that graduated early....

BUT

As Bumper said, you brought this on yourself.

Personally, I would still like to see pictures...

Although, the whole ordeal still rubs me wrong. A caring and concerning owner wouldn't make a statement such as:

at this point im just going to do what i want to do and if that means breeding her then fine

Thats just reckless and irresponsible. I feel sorry for your animals.

Edited by CowgirlUp5707

I don't get it... I'm 19, went to public school, am halfway through college, and make LESS than $8/hr... But I still make good choices...

I have one horse, that is all I can care for. I know that. I know my limitations. I have been offered several horses in great condition, that are bred well, but turned them down for fear of finances. I have had offers to breed excellent mares that I work with to respectable studs. I train the mare, she throws a baby, I get to keep the baby as payment for the training. I turned them down. Yes, I would LOVE to own a part of this mare, but I know it costs MONEY. That's what horses are all about.

I have also realized the importance of balancing time. Yes, I could pick up another job, but when would I go see my horse. Is working 3 jobs really worth having 3 horses? Honestly, I could afford a second or even third horse maybe, but what is the point if I don't get to spend quality time with them. One of those things I just don't understand I guess...

I feel bad for this mare, but I guess that's just because I know how repro works. And honestly, I feel bad for you, because I feel like I'm spreading myself thin working my job, out at the barn, taking a summer class, and trying to ride. I can't imagine your life and how happy you are.

gonedunit?

Please go back and re-read this entire thread. Read it as a 3rd party, including your own posts to this thread. Try to read it objectively and then try to see where WE are coming from.

You do not present yourself as an educated, well informed, professional person. How you present yourself, your situation and your horse on these boards is the only way we have to know you or anything about you. Presenting a less than favorable view of yourself does not do you nor your horse any favors.

Yes, a couple people got a bit snarky. It's life. Most of us did NOT get snarky and we DID try to tell you in 17 ways to Sunday how we felt about your situation. It's called getting an honest opinion about a question you posted. Being blunt and honest doesn't mean we are being mean or snarky.

We are horse people. We care about horses and their well being. Your situation sounds a bit suspect, by your own admission you weren't being honest so what did you expect the reaction to be?

I am NOT trying to tell you what you can and can't do with your horse. But you ASKED and if you DO want to breed your mare, no one can stop you. However, that is NOT what you asked; you asked if she COULD be bred by a yearling. And quite honestly, asking a question like that screams to many of us who are involved in breeding of someone who is not educated enough in animal husbandry to breed and should learn more about it before breeding.

Get the book "Blessed Are the Broodmares". Read about what can happen in pregnancy and what is involved in the whole process. Learn that a colt left intact and on it's dam too long can breed it's own dam back. It can, and has happened. Depends on the mare. Learn about diseases, injuries and stress that can happen to a mare being bred, especially pasture bred by an inexperienced stallion. And if this mare is a "rescue", then you should know there are too many lesser quality horses out there already being neglected, abandoned, seized, starved, sent to sales, sent to slaughter, etc. to be breeding without a great deal of thought put into the process.

The majority of us are trying to help ... don't let your young ego get in the way of learning please.

at this point im just going to do what i want to do and if that means breeding her then fine. ...

I really wish you wouldn't. If you are struggling now it will only be worse with one more mouth to feed.

...my only question was if a stallion that young can do anything.because i know with cats and dogs theres a cut off age i think all of you are extremely judgemental.

Yes, the stallion can breed her.

This looks like a good place to lock this thread. What needed to be said has been said.

Andi, you did a superb job of explaning. Thank you.

Gone, you'd do well to do just as Andi suggested. It's very good advice.