Sign in to follow this  
paintpony1

Custom Chaps

so I am totally sick of wearing my chaps. I mean, no. I love my chaps! Actually I just love full chaps. My chaps are size s/m, but built for people with thighs the size of my stomach....They're just off the shelf millers, and I was originally just going to get them taken in, but the swatch samples at bevals for custom chaps are soooooooo tempting...does anyone have custom chaps? I'm seriously considering it. like, argh....how much did it cost? I mean, I was going to go in and ask, but they were closed...but I don't want to sound cheap hahaha....I mean they would understand....my mom is probably one of their best customers....no lie! haha. We know everyone that works in there pretty good. Sigh sigh! Of course this is the same tack store where a famous actor (I forget who) bought saddles for his little girls....hahaha...ohmy. That got way off topic, but I think you get the jist of it...PS, remember my little rant about my eq? ignore that...i smile at this pic everytime...hehe....so nice...cept for the puppy paws!

oh yeah...I put on my sisters GR8....size 61 it fit me perfectly....i'd rather have custom chaps though...and i love my bike helmet as my friend calls it....hahah....

CIMG5629.jpg

CIMG5633.jpg

CIMG5619.jpg

Edited by paintpony1

I have custom half chaps from Tenney's, who do the custom chaps for Beval. I ordered them directly from Tenney's store in FL... the base price for half chaps (no stripe, nothing fancy except a zipper and the leather) is $250... I think with the options I got (exotic stripe, double piping, monogram), it was about another $100 over the base price.

I have no idea what their full chaps start at (I'd assume more!), but that might just give you a basic idea.

Oh okay, that doesn't seem HORRIBLE... i was thinking like thousands of dollars. haha. I was considering half chaps, but I don't really like them...

I do! And I love them. I just don't wear them enough. I think mine wer like, $190. My boyfriend and mom went halvsies each and got them for me for my birthday last year. They're pretty fantastic.

101_0273.jpg

101_0274.jpg

Hey paint pony. Those chaps are too big for you around your teensy legs. I just recently had a pair of custom chaps made for showing here in the northwest. They cost me around $300 before tax. The nice thing was I chose a scalloped edge instead of fringe (less movement for practical western appearances and doesn't get caught up in your zipper) and though the chaps fit well and the horse showed well, it wasn't a GREAT fit and the pony is now going to regionals and nationals... with this in mind, the folks who made them offered (I took them in to have them sized a bit) to totally redo them at no charge. They were a little short, a little big around the thighs, and the zipper was a bit short as well.

If you are having a pair of custom chaps made, they should fit snug... they will stretch out a bit as you wear them. They should measure you VERY carefully wearing the boots you will be competing in. Also, keep in mind, the end product represents THEM (that is probably why this outfit offered a total redo out of the blue). Anyway, if you are showing seriously, i think its worth it, otherwise probably money best spent at your favorite charity... or christmas present if you got REALLY good grades, ha ha! :)

post-45918-1245160766.jpg

Oh okay, that doesn't seem HORRIBLE... i was thinking like thousands of dollars. haha. I was considering half chaps, but I don't really like them...

You could probably make them thousands of dollars depending on how much "fun stuff" you put on. :winking: Mine are kind of subdued, but I'm more of a subdued kind of person.

It's all personal preference. I prefer riding in breeches, so half chaps for me. I think there is nothing more spiffy than a pair of full custom chaps that are totally decked out, though. Gorgeous! Hope you can get what you want!!

You're tiny like me, I know western is different then English. However, I buy all my chaps in the little kid section then I get length added for like $20 more and I am good to go. I think my most expensive pair of show chaps were $120.

I have custom half chaps from Tenney's, who do the custom chaps for Beval. I ordered them directly from Tenney's store in FL... the base price for half chaps (no stripe, nothing fancy except a zipper and the leather) is $250... I think with the options I got (exotic stripe, double piping, monogram), it was about another $100 over the base price.

I have no idea what their full chaps start at (I'd assume more!), but that might just give you a basic idea.

Small world.. Tenney's did my chaps as well.. eons ago. LOL! They're good people. They also make pretty gorgeous chaps as well.

Small world.. Tenney's did my chaps as well.. eons ago. LOL! They're good people. They also make pretty gorgeous chaps as well.

We stopped in to get measured for boots when showing in Tampa... walked out with boots and half chaps. Oops. Spent several hours there, had a great time with Jim and he makes an exceptional product. His wife also put a new seat on my trainer's Butet... I think the saddle looks better than it did when it was brand new. They are good people for sure... exceptional customer service, great product and a really cool tack shop (and the mobile units are great, as well!).

Found a pretty cruddy picture of mine that I took with my laptop that does them no justice. Rich dark reddish brown with a reddish brown snakeskin stripe, sky blue piping and monogram. I love them.

post-23149-1245180921.jpg

haha well thanks yall! So i think I am going to do custom chaps. I spose there are cheaper places to do it than bevals but I will go get a quote anyway. As for add ons i wanted to go the whole nine yards, I was thinking black suede with pink and purple trim/piping. I won't do fringe because i hear it gets caught in the zipper. I even wanted to get my name put on the back - my old trainer had it in needlepoint. it was gorgeous, but i'm sure it cost a small fortune! either way thanks yall so much! kristen that is actually a really good idea with the kids chaps and then get them lengthened. :)

I agree with chris...your custom half chaps do look yummy! I love the monogrammed name!

Edited by paintpony1

Gorgeous half chaps!

I had full chaps made by them.. they were a mahogany color leather with hunter green trim and tan piping.. it had my name on the yoke.. and fringe. They were.. stunning. I rarely wear them now though that I ride very little. They were abused when I was a teenager. I got them in 1999 I think, so I would have been 14 that year. They fit better now than when I first got them. lol

A) I wish the found-in-the-tack-room-randomly-suede full chaps I was given about 4 years ago still fit me (though they're too tight and the buckle has broken)

B) Yeah every so often I start looking at the full chaps in Dover's catalog I totally agree with you I want a pair

C) Good luck! Let us know if you decide to get em!

Full chaps from Journeyman's or Chuck Pinnell start around 800, I think. www.thechapman.com

ouch....that is way out of my budget....i just keeled up a bit i think!

I think my full chaps cost my about 600 after all was said and done.. I can't rememeber. The fringe surprisingly didn't get zipped into the zipper at all that I remember. It was the "cool" thing going around at that time. LOL.. I don't really care anymore as long as things function. I write my own rules on cool these days.

Oh Jesus Megan. When did you turn into such a BAMF?!

I took lessons from Chuck Norris.. remember? I'm so BA I can divide by zero.. ooooh yeeah..

/thread hijack

lol

If you ever need an effective thread hijack, just call Megan and I. We do it in half time it takes other people to get everyone off track!

LOL! I think we should start calling it thread intervention.. it sounds so much more official and important. I need that being all bad arse and all..