Sign in to follow this  
Fudge02

Sunburn - Ouch! - In Pain

We went fishing Sunday and was on the boat all day (from 8:30am to almost 5:00 pm).

My legs are very sunburned!

They are swollen from my thighs all the way down to my feet. It hurts to walk or bend my knees and sometimes hurts to stand and put pressure on my legs. Especially when I get out of bed. It's just the front of my legs - not the back, thankfully.

I have tried this aloe vera spray. Some of my co-works told me to try putting vinager on the burn. I tried that last night but it didn't seem to do much. Maybe I didn't have enought. Not sure.

This morning I stopped and got aloe vera get with lidocain hci pain relieving gel. For sunburn relief. I've been applying most of the day. It seems to help some, abd then wears off.

If I could get the swelling down, I think that would help greatly. This really hurts/sucks.

Any suggestions or advice on what else I can try? Or do I have to wait for it to take its course? I'm about ready to drill a hole in each legs and let everything drain.

Now off to take a shower to get the caked on gel off, just to reapply.

Thanks!!

Are they hot to the touch still? If so I believe what my mom used to do was take rags/towels and dunk em in cold water then apply them to the burnt area and kept doing it for a while... i think maybe until the heat came out of the burn?

Hope it gets better... sunburns are painful

Take a cool bath and keep applying the Aloe Vera with the lidocaine.

That stuff is good.

The last burn I got I didn't even peel after applying that stuff religiously for the first few days.

Thank you both. Ill keep using the aloe with lidocane. So far its the best thing I've found. I've been taking a luke warm shower. I don't think I could go completely cold. Althought, I might try ice packs at work tomorrow on top of the aloe. Thanks. I'm hoping it stops hurting by the weekend so I can move around. Lol

The trick to using vinegar is to use it as soon as you get home and out of the sun. You can't wait until the next day. Or, at least that's what my mom always told me as she doused me in it. It doesn't feel or smell the greatest but it always took the "fire" out of the burn.

Silly girl. I'm surprised it hasn't blistered on you. Sounds like you got quite a deep burn. Don't do that again. Sunscreen my girl, sunscreen. Hope it feels better soon. [Huggy]

Take advil religiously. Aloe. Cold compresses (I know how painful it sounds, but they really do help). Elevating your leg should help with the swelling.

I got sunburned in Mexico a couple of weeks ago. My legs were so swollen that you couldn't see any of the bones in my knee or my ankle. Normally I have ridiculously sharp shin bones but I couldn't even feel the shin in my left leg no matter how hard I pressed. And if I did press, it would leave a dent that would stay there for 5+ hours. I was stuck in bed for two days of vacation. I couldn't stand up because the pain would come in waves that would make me feel sick and I would have to sit down to avoid passing out. My skin also turned green... yuck. Worst pain I've ever felt in my life... and I've broken my elbow, collar bone, ankle, foot, tailbone, toes, etc... haha. So I can totally sympathize! I know how much it sucks. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Make a very large pot of extremely strong tea. Lipton has those huge tea bags for suntea and they work great for this.

Let it cool, I always throw some ice cubes in there to help as it's usually an emergency.

Then soak hand towels or t-shirts (that you don't care about) and lay them over the burned area. Let sit and you will notice pain relief pretty quickly.

I did this with my son last year when he got a sunburn bad enough that it raised blisters on his shoulders. He said it stopped hurting really fast. After I applied aloe.

Oh. Lots of great ideas. Thank you all so much.

I will definately have to try to tea and cold water (will ice also work?).

We weren't planning on staying out long at all and I forgot sunscreen.

I have been taking some ibp for headaches and some of the pain in my legs.

Apache, sorry you had to go through this as well it hurts! - BAD! I know what you mean about the swelling. The selling is horrible!

Mudder - it hasn't blistered... Yet. And I'm hoping it won't.

Thanks again everyone!!

I am a redhead, need I say more?

I agree with the cold compresses, ibp, and aloe with lidocain.

Another trick that has worked for me in the past is Noxzema. Get the regular stuff, slather it on THICK and sit in front of a fan for a while. It really helps take the heat out of the burn and it lasts for a while too.

Sun burns stink!

Brenna

Fellow Red Head Here.....

I have an aloe plant, cut a shoot off and cut it open use your fingers to get all the gel out and slather it all over. It has worked best for me.

Last spring, riding my quad on the dunes on a day that was supposed to be crappy (when isn't the OR coast crappy??!) low and behold, 90+ degrees, no clouds, no wind and I burnt my face so bad....swelled up and peeled 3 times!! Needless to say all my friends carry sunscreen just in case I forget.

A couple years ago a friend sitting in the back of a pickup at the races burned her shins so bad she could hardly walk (and she was 8 months pregnant) She was on cructches for almost a week. I know for sure she would sit in a cool bath for as long as she could stand it and I think they put chalomine (spelling?) lotion on her legs also.

Good Luck, I've found taking an antihistemine (benadryl or something similar) helps with stuff like that too (makes ya a little sleepy though) :ashamed0002:

The Noxzema works well. Always done that one and I usually don't peel.

Drink plenty of water as well, get yourself rehydrated from the inside.

I had a burn lecture in nursing class - the lecturer (who heads a burn center) agreed with the cold compresses - but ONLY for 10- 15 minutes at a time. He said otherwise the cold would increase the damage done by the burn. Sitting in a cool water tub was good also. He said that one of the reasons that the thick gels and Noxema work so well is simply that they cover the skin from exposure to the air, and that the exposure of the nerves to the air is one of the main causes of any type of burn pain.

So, wrapping or laying wet compresses on your burned legs is good, and you can add cold compresses over the wet layers for short periods of time. You probably won't have to if your burn is well covered. You could apply your gel nice and thick and lay a thin layer of whatever over that.

Also - ditto to the Advil - ibuprofen for swelling and pain relief. You can take up to 3200mgs per day at 800mgs per dose every 6hrs. Recommended normal dose is half that. I would probably go with 600mgs every 6 to start. Dosage of more that 3200mgs per 24 hours can cause stomach and/or kidney damage. If you are on any other medicines call your doctor first!

Hope this helps a little! Oh, and Tylenol won't do much for swelling - Advil is what you want!

Paula

Thank you all so much. Lots of good ideas to try.

The swelling seems to have gone down some over night. Its better than none. I can walk somewhat better. I've already reapplied the aloe jel and just took some ibp. Will put some ice or cold water on my let's shortly.

I really apprecite all the responses. Thank you all so much!!