Sign in to follow this  
SerahRose

I Gotta Vent!

why is it so danged confusing and difficult to enter a recognized show!? I knew it was going to be expensive and was prepared for that...but seriously I'm so frustratred right now trying to figure out what clubs I need to be a member of, and WHY the heck do I need to be a usef member just to show in one measly usdf clasS? that or pay a $30 non-member fee which is just plain stupid in and of itself. and why haven't I recieved the stupid usdf membership reciept so I can print it? and why is my printer running out of ink! And now I need to go call stupid usdf and see if my membership app. even went thru. argh.

the end (for now)

argh!!! and i just would NOT do the show, except now I've already paid my stupid usef fee and GRR

ok NOW i'm done...

To bad you don't live closer to me. We have a new club this year that put on a workshop on doing a recognized shows. We had several different presenters and we all covered different topics. I did what to do when you get to the show grounds. We had one lady go over memberships and entry forms, etc... All that stuff you are venting about right now. Another girl did what to take, another girl did warm up and ring ettiquette, another did what to and what not to wear. We got a lot of great feed back on it.

As for your memberships, if you joined both USDF and USEF, you should be able to go to usdf.org and do a master verification and print out both USDF and USEF membership, owner and horse registration, all on one page. Don't cut it up into cards. Then that's all you have to send in with your entries.

Yep, Beckham, I agree, it is ridiculously expensive.

But we all know that if you are going to show at rated shows, it's less expensive in the long run to join everything and lifetime register your horse, rather than pay non-member fees at the shows. Plus that way the scores you earn go towards rider awards and medals and all that good stuff.

so who wants to pitch in some money and make an online interactive site where you plug in the horse info, and your info. THEN...the shows from all over the US register online and you can enter the shows VIA the website. it'll be easy, online, and nationwide! whoot! too bad I'm not computer savvy and too bad the horse world can't get along to make something like that work...riiight?

There are some web sites like that for certain shows. There are also web sites like www.showsecretary.com

that have all the prize list info and some shows accept credit card for payment and you can fax your entries.

Edited by Boocoo

omg I had the HARDEST time trying to enter recognized shows! Esp. trying to figure out the out of state shows. Good LORD! Schooling shows are so much easier. And then joining all of those clubs is just annoying. And you have to renew every year unless you want to pay like what 1k to be a lifetime member? Suckssss

They really aren't that hard. After you do them a few times you will get the hang of them. Just have everything you need handy when you sit down and get ready to fill them out.

If you need any more USDF help, let me know...i worked there in the membership department and did memberships for horse and rider day in and out :winking:

It's more difficult to fill out some entry forms than to do taxes [Crazy] I was fortunate to have friends here help me when I started... and I still often have to pay the extra $20 because I didn't get it all right. [bang Head LOL, one day I might get it.

so I just got an e-mail from the show secretary-I accidentally sent LAST years coggins (even though it's from august of last year...lol) so I need to fax them this years ASAP. I also forgot (didn't forget, just didn't know I had to pay it....) the usEf drug fee, even though I paid the usDf drug fee. Why both drug fees have to be paid is beyond me...just have them combined...and the results are going to be the same for both drug tests. and in all likelyhood they won't even DO a drug test. The postmaster also neglected to postmark my envelope, so I might have to pay the late entry fee even though I sent it on the day that they were supposed to be postmarked.

Ok...complaining officially over with! lol

Both drug fees have to be paid, because both Assoc. sanction the show. Your coggins is good till it expires. If the show is after the expiration date of your coggins, then you have to send in your new one. What I usually do is send my current coggins with a note explaining that, say for example, the show is Oct. but my coggins expires Sept. On the note I put that I will send current coggins when I get it done in Sept.

I always get $$ back for perfect show entries, so just pm me if you ever need any help. I will be glad to help you out! :happy0203:

I guess somewhere on the 23 pages on entry forms and rules there was a clause stating that all coggins must be dated after Jan 1 2009 so that's my my coggins is no good...even though it's not a year out from the last blood draw. Oh well!

I can whip out perfect entries in good time too, you can ask me any questions!

I have to admit, I am jealous . . . I have no one ready for a rated show, and Lexington is this weekend and it's my FAVORITE.

I guess somewhere on the 23 pages on entry forms and rules there was a clause stating that all coggins must be dated after Jan 1 2009 so that's my my coggins is no good...even though it's not a year out from the last blood draw. Oh well!

I have never heard of that. Doesn't sound right. A coggins has to be within 12 months. So if you get yours done in Sept. every year, it's good till Sept. of each year, as long as it is done within 12 months. I get mine done in Aug. of every year.

I have a show in two weeks and my coggins is still good and this is a USDF/USEF rated show and also qualifying show for regionals and SWDC.

went online and looked at the rules...I actually have to use the ctrl+f to search the word coggins and find it...but here's a direct quote "Horse health: Evidence of a negative Coggins test dated January 1, 2009 or later is

mandatory for each horse entered. West Nile Virus vaccination recommended"

so there ya have it! I've officially been nickeled and dimed :winking:

[ROTFL] Yes you sure have! Unbelievable. I would be calling show management and complaining about that if it were me! That's absurd!

Some of the shows are different. When I was in VT last summer, I entered a show up there and they had a similar rule with the coggins. Instead of allowin the coggins to run from a year of the date of the coggins, each coggins had to be dated from Jan of the cometition year, so you just have to read the rules to make sure. I had to get the vet out to pull a new one while I was up there.

Some of the shows ARE helpful and will print out the drug fees in their entry forms, so sometimes it IS easier, but Boocoo is right, the they are USEF AND USDF sanctioned. It does get a whole lot easier. Most places have a list of fees at the end of their show information, and also, most show managers NEVER mind helping out inexperienced competitors who have questions because it is a whole lot easier than dealing w/incomplete forms. If you are filling out early, call or e-mail questions.

You know, the only problem I ever have with some schooling shows is sometimes the quality of judging and sometimes footing issues. If I know the judge it's fine, although I'm typically not crazy about being "practice" for the "L" and overall the judging is not quite in line w/regular shows--it takes a little bit of time for the typical "L" graduate to find their place w/in the system, although where I am we have several who are very fair (and some who are um, harsher). It is a great program though, and very informative. The other thing I find is that many places use their rings for their programs (riding, teaching, etc). I've shown up at a few shows, only to have to scratch due to the footing being bad. I hate to have to loose my money that way. Obviously, I'd do the same at a recognized show, but there is a bit more of a standard there. And, some places are very good.