Sign in to follow this  
rodeobabe

*new To Breeding*

Hi there, well i have a 9 year old reg paint mare i would like to breed. She has a great temperment, smart and has good confo. Now she has had a foal before, before i bought her and didnt have any problems with it. Now i have never had a horse bred before and dont really know what to look for in a stallion. Any tips or advice would be greatly appricieted.

Thanks

Good for you for doing research BEFORE jumping into this. First and foremost, you need to answer WHY are you breeding? Just because? As a replacement for this mare? What job will this foal acheive? Obviously, with the market as it is, buying a young horse is very inexpensive and you can hand-pick essentially what you want.

That PSA aside, first you need to determine--as I mentioned--what do you intend this foal to? An English horse versus a Working Western horse versus halter will all have different requirements. Then, you fine-pick your mare. Determine what her weaknesses and conformational "holes" are. If you can answer "She has none, she's perfect." then you stop your quest for breeding right then and there. Every horse has flaws and you need to recognize those before you can improve the next generation. With that info, you start researching stallions: what stallions are accomplished sires of offspring that can do what you want your foal to do? Does that stallion compliment where my mare is weak? Does his pedigree mesh with the mares? Expect to do a LOT of research and often times reject your first, second or even third choices (or more!)

Then, you start saving money and determine if you're breeding via live cover or shipped semen and start researching your options there. Is your vet competent with reproductive work? Does he/she have the necessary equipment, time and experience to manage the mare from pre-breeding screenings to the breeding process to pregnancy diagnosis?

In short (well, perhaps too late for that!!) research, research research and ask lots of questions.

I personally looked at my mare thought about breeding her then I thought my best bet would be buying what I "hoped" to be breeding for. Better chance of getting exactly what I wanted for a fraction of the cost of breeding, vet and training costs and end up the horse being a dud or some other anomaly that occurs with horses. I will probably breed her way down the road after she earns more points for her record but right now while everything is "the way it is" she will just compete this year

When i do breed her I will look for a stallion with a proven show record for what I want the foal to be...in my case I barrel race said mare so I will look at either proven TB,QH or Paint stallions that either raced or competed in BR. Must have excellent comformation and an easy going temperment.

I love short backs, attractive heads, straight correct legs and very good feet and frogs(there is more just don't want to type a novel). I check the stallions teeth too to make sure he has a good bite and isn't parrot mouthed or anything of that nature.

Thank you for your advice everyone. Now one more question what is the age rang to breed a mare? My mare is 9 this year is she to old yet or does she have a few more years left?

Thank you for your advice everyone. Now one more question what is the age rang to breed a mare? My mare is 9 this year is she to old yet or does she have a few more years left?

She has lots and lots of years left!

We are going to cover our 26 year old mare this year (if we ever catch her in dang it!) and her last foal she had at 22 years old.

Just depends on the horse!

There is an article on wikihorseworld.com that gives step by step instructions for breeding a mare. The link to the article is: http://www.wikihorseworld.com/wiki/Breeding_Your_Mare

This site is new and is working on the articles tab on their website right now, if you choose not to follow the link, go directly to their main page and there will be a search box on the left side of the web page, in that search box type in, Breeding Your Mare, that will get you to the article.

Hope the information provided helps you in your research.