herbkersman

Loading In A Slant Load Trailer

Help!!! We bought the 4 horse slant load trailer today. The kiddos were excited to get their horses in the trailer, well they all did but one. This is a new guy to us. We bought him from an Amish family. My son uses him for trail rides and contesting in 4-H. He loads fine in the stock trailer, but absolutely put the brakes on right before the trailer. We put a buddy in the trailer so he could see him, but that did not influence him at all. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. We were hoping to use the trailer next weekend.

TIA

Marcia and family [bang Head]

You will get a lot more responses on the training forum. Though they changed the description, this forum was originally for help and tips related to how to use the bulletin board software, so not many people frequent this section.

I had the same problem with one of my horses. It took some time and a LOT of patience but finally got him to load. Each time he refused to load, we did some ground work, stepping forward, backing up...I"d do this for a few minutes then take him back to the trailer...each time he refused to load it was back to ground work. When he finally put his front feet (didn't go all the way in) I petted him, talked to him, letting him know he did good...eventually he went all the way in. I did tap him with the lead rope AFTER cueing him to step up if he refused to go in the trailer. Even a small move by him was rewarded with pats and praise. I did not want this to be a tramatic experience for him.

Get those feet moving. Do small lunging circles, both directions, then start getting closer to the trailer. Eventually stop at the door, let him smell. Try to load, but dont close the door when they first get in. If the horse even looks like its thinking about backing, ask him to, so its your idea. Do circles some more, and just continue on getting those feet moving. Eventually he will load right off.

Rest is IN the trailer. He will figure it out.

Dont expect it to be quick. Take some time. Most important is to keep those feet moving or the horse trying out the trailer, or loading.

Good luck!

I do not play around with horses and trailers. i put a trailer into a large pen area and put the food and water and hay in it and let the horse see me do it. Horse is in there of course. Then I say...there is dinner (breakfast) go get it. I may give in a bit to how deep I put it into the trailer at first...like about maybe halfway...but the next day...the food goes all the way to the back.

Now...i have to admit...sometimes...I have a hardtime making my horse wait before jumping into a trailer...and feet have been stepped on b/c I forget about how eager they can be to load...especially Tonto....the chow-hound.

They believe the trailer means food...and I will make sure they do get an immediate reward for that.

I also practice loading on days with nowhere to go...something people forget to do...or on rainy days and windy days and at night in darkness...something people don't want to do.

Never learn about a horse not loading on a day they have to go somewhere....what if it is an emergency? I learned that the hard way.

And...don't try feeding them in a two horse trailer either....I learned that the hard way...too..Man...that horse could ssssssstttrrreeetttccchhhhhh!!! [Duh]