Sign in to follow this  
Katie Schuur

Who Gets Gelded Today?

Recommended Posts

I have an appointment for the vet to come out later this evening to geld one of my horses. There are two horses I own that need to be gelded, and I was going to go ahead and geld one today and geld the other around October. So here are the horses to consider gelding today - please let me know which one you feel should be gelded tonight.

Cowboy - 2 year old appendix - no papers. He's a pistol, and I am interested in seeing if gelding him will help quiet him down a bit. I want to sell this horse, but nobody seems interested in this market for an unbroke unregistered colt. I feel that if I geld him I may have more interested buyers. Gelding him NEEDS to be done - but my question is if I'm not going to keep him anyway should I be the one to geld him or do I just sell him for super-cheap and let the new owner geld him? If I'm the one to geld him I will increase my asking price accordingly.

Tuff - 1 year old paint - can be registered as soon as he's gelded with the pinto association. I am keeping Tuff, and he needs to be gelded for registration purposes and for the fact that he was orphaned with unknown lineage. I want him to grow to be a decent sized horse, and I have heard that gelding them young will help slow the closure of their growth plates - thus helping them grow to be a taller horse. Tuff's already a little guy as it is for the fact that he was orphaned, and it sure would be nice to help him achieve some height. I'm also happier about the thought of spending the money for the vet on a horse that I am planning on keeping.

They both need to be gelded, but who should be gelded tonight?? Any thoughts/ideas?

Edited by Rollin_after_a_bath

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm... kind of a tough decision. Are you only doing one at a time because of the cost?

I really think you'd be doing the apendix colt a favor and maybe giving him a leg up in life if you get him gelded before you sell him. You'll do your part by insuring he won't reproduce no matter WHO gets him and you'll also open up the market to people who are inexperienced with stallions. I think I'd say geld him first.

Basically because I know you don't want to keep Tuff as a stallion so if you geld him last I know they will BOTH get gelded. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes - the only reason I'm doing one at a time is due to the cost. It just all comes down to how I should spend my dime... On a horse I have no intention of keeping, or a horse that I have every intention of keeping. There's no doubt they both need to be gelded, I am just questioning the money part of it. I agree that Cowboy seems to be the more urgent case, but I am wondering if in this market I'd be flushing my money down the drain. There's no guarantee I'd even be able to sell him for the cost of the vet call. Tough, tough, tough decision.....

Spend a couple hundred bucks on a horse I am keeping, or one that I am not. I sure would be doing Cowboy and the horse community a favor by footing the bill to geld him though. I just keep going back and forth in my mind between both horses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with mrs,

geld the one you want to sell that way it ensures that he will get gelded instead of adding to the problem of more unwanted horses.

if its because of cost you dont want to do them both I understand. If you can afford it I would just do them both.

Also here I would be leery of gelding anything right now with heat and bugs. Your chance of infection are higher. I always wait until its cooler and the bugs are gone.

not trying to discourage anyone from gelding its just not the time of year I would do it

edited to say we must have been working on this at the same time

Edited by ranchhorses

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cowboy cuz, You said it; "He NEEDS TO BE DONE.

He's older, and his behavior is worse.

The yearling I'd save for the fall when the flies are less prevalent.

We're only talking 3 months so, I don't think there is going to be anything appreciably lost in that short amount of time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hmmm... kind of a tough decision. Are you only doing one at a time because of the cost?

I really think you'd be doing the apendix colt a favor and maybe giving him a leg up in life if you get him gelded before you sell him. You'll do your part by insuring he won't reproduce no matter WHO gets him and you'll also open up the market to people who are inexperienced with stallions. I think I'd say geld him first.

Basically because I know you don't want to keep Tuff as a stallion so if you geld him last I know they will BOTH get gelded. ;)

I agree, I would do the Appendix first. Selling him intact for super-cheap is just asking for some moron to add him to his "breeding program", breeding him to reject mares and filling the canner pens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, And Rollin', Why don't you edit this thread and add a poll?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I really think you'd be doing the apendix colt a favor and maybe giving him a leg up in life if you get him gelded before you sell him. You'll do your part by insuring he won't reproduce no matter WHO gets him and you'll also open up the market to people who are inexperienced with stallions. I think I'd say geld him first.

Ditto. I would geld Cowboy first. He may get sold quicker that way too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You may even be able to talk to the vet about "donating" a castration to help the population situation. Explain your concerns, your finacial situation, and the fact that you are going to try to sell the horse for fairly cheap to a good home and would like to make sure that he isn't bred. A few of the vets around her will do a free castration for those situations, just have to pay them for the drugs that were used.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is exactly what I love Horsecity for.... Thank you all for helping me think a little more clearly.

Cowboy is going to lose a couple things tonight....

And in the meantime, I'll continue to pray to the "height fairies" for Tuff, LOL!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hibiscus - I think it would be wonderful if the vet could do both tonight if he donates a castration :) My vet is super-cool, so maybe if I talk to him about my concerns for both horses he'll "cut" me a deal, LOL!

Manesntails - how do I add a poll feature?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hibiscus - I think it would be wonderful if the vet could do both tonight if he donates a castration :) My vet is super-cool, so maybe if I talk to him about my concerns for both horses he'll "cut" me a deal, LOL!

Manesntails - how do I add a poll feature?

[ROTFL] Haha, good one!

It's worth a shot! If he does, make sure to send him a gift or a thank you note. Just something to let him know how appreciative you are. A gift card to his favorite restaurant, maybe?

Edited by Hibiscus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hibiscus - I think it would be wonderful if the vet could do both tonight if he donates a castration :) My vet is super-cool, so maybe if I talk to him about my concerns for both horses he'll "cut" me a deal, LOL!

Manesntails - how do I add a poll feature?

He may very well cut you a deal. Also if you could manage both tonight it will save you a vet call. I don't know what your vet charges but it's $50 for the vet to just show up at my house.

Doing two would save me $50 right off the bat but it would be tight for me to come up with $450.

Ask him... maybe he'll be able to help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
He may very well cut you a deal. Also if you could manage both tonight it will save you a vet call. I don't know what your vet charges but it's $50 for the vet to just show up at my house.

Doing two would save me $50 right off the bat but it would be tight for me to come up with $450.

Ask him... maybe he'll be able to help.

450 bucks ouch!!

I have been filly plauged for the last three years and I did not have any babies this year so about four years ago it was not even close to that I will have dig up some invoices

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm just guessing. She said a couple hundred so I'm assuming the fee is $200 and there will probably be a fee for the vet to go out there.

I had a quote done on the Western slopes (Colorado) last year and that was $150 and they are usually less expensive than it is here on the front range by the city.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry I didn't reply a little sooner - my mother called.

But anyways, I was quoted $125 for the procedure not including the farm call which is about another $60. Plus any incidental costs, I am assuming I'm looking at spending $200 tonight when it's all said and done just for this one procedure. Gelding them both would be a minimum of $300 or so. Cha-ching.

Oh and BTW - my husband asked me what they do with the things they cut off. I just told him that I hope he enjoys his dinner tonight - spaghetti and meatballs. :D

Edited by Rollin_after_a_bath

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

oh $450 for both, lol i get it [Duh]

thats a little bit better

Edited by ranchhorses

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Oh and BTW - my husband asked me what they do with the things they cut off. I just told him that I hope he enjoys his dinner tonight - spaghetti and meatballs. :D
[ROTFL]

Well if he's anything like the small animal vet I used to work for, he'll pick them up and throw them at your head! (except these were cat balls no horse one's lol) LOL No joke he did that to me once while I was assiting in surgery! (we were all pretty laid back in that office)

As far as who to "do" to the deed to tonight I'd ditto Cowboy as it will most likely be easier to sell/market him as a gelding and you are doing him and our horse economy a favor!

Edited by corina33

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the ole timers said that you should throw them in front of the horse, said it will make them fast for they will always be chasing after them.

lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We always tied them together and threw them up on the barn roof.

The Carrion Crows and Ravens will come and get them.

If they don't, it's bad luck.

You just hit

Full edit at the bottom of the post then pick the poll option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay the vet just left and I am $175 lighter in the pockets. Not too bad I guess... Cowboy handled himself very well, although while he was sedated and on the ground he was "mumbling" throughout the whole ordeal. I'm not sure I would have wanted to know what he was saying to us in "horse" talk. Our other horse Sky didn't notice Cowboy was missing out of the pasture. He went looking for Cowboy and when he saw him lying on the ground with a bunch of people around him, Sky came barreling up like he'd just been shot out of a gun. He was certain we all were trying to kill Cowboy, LOL! I walked up to Sky at the fenceline and calmed him down a bit by talking to him gently.

When Cowboy tried to get back on his feet he reminded me of a newborn foal trying to find his footing. He's now up and grazing, and hating my guts more than ever now I'm sure.

I just wanted to give an update :) Next stop: Posting on Craigslist. Wish me luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Okay the vet just left and I am $175 lighter in the pockets. Not too bad I guess... Cowboy handled himself very well, although while he was sedated and on the ground he was "mumbling" throughout the whole ordeal. I'm not sure I would have wanted to know what he was saying to us in "horse" talk. Our other horse Sky didn't notice Cowboy was missing out of the pasture. He went looking for Cowboy and when he saw him lying on the ground with a bunch of people around him, Sky came barreling up like he'd just been shot out of a gun. He was certain we all were trying to kill Cowboy, LOL! I walked up to Sky at the fenceline and calmed him down a bit by talking to him gently.

When Cowboy tried to get back on his feet he reminded me of a newborn foal trying to find his footing. He's now up and grazing, and hating my guts more than ever now I'm sure.

I just wanted to give an update :) Next stop: Posting on Craigslist. Wish me luck.

Send him to me. I'm kinda looking for a project. I've got a very strong horsenality (hah!). I'd b good for him.

Kidding though. Shipping would take any profit I could hope for. *sigh*

Anyone got a cute "project" close to colorado? ;)

Edited by mrs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you made the right choice in horses. If Tuff needs to get a bit bigger, his cahonies might help him with the boost of testosterone to get physically bigger. Besides like everyone said it will make Cowboy more marketable....

AD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I definitely think you did the right thing by gelding Cowboy first. Sounds like he did "need" it! It won't hurt Tuff to wait a little longer. You don't have any mares/fillies on your property either, so that helps too.

Wow, it's interesting how cost of gelding varies so much even in the same location. I have only had one horse gelded down here and it was in spring 2007, but my vet only charged $130.00 for gelding, farm call, and pulling wolf teeth! The castration alone cost $85 including sedation.

Oh, unrelated kind of, but did Kimberly's mare Midnight ever have a foal or did she find out she was not pregnant? I have been wondering.. Lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Goldiebabe :) Kimberly's mare was never pregnant, and she hasn't foaled. I think Kim was wishing she was though, LOL! Midnight's leg wasn't looking any better, and I had to finally speak up and tell her to call the vet out again to get rid of some of that excess scar tissue and help the healing process move along faster. She had the vet out and the vet removed a lot of it, but I haven't been back out to her place to see the mare since then.

Anyways, how are you doing now that you're only down to two horses? I'll bet you can't wait for your son to be born either! LMk how you've been :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just wanted to kind of toss it in there that gelding them at the ages they are at will not affect how they develop...just an FYI

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Anyone got a cute "project" close to colorado? ;)

I gots a project for ya! His name is Buck, Project away! [Crazy]

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hi Goldiebabe :) Kimberly's mare was never pregnant, and she hasn't foaled. I think Kim was wishing she was though, LOL! Midnight's leg wasn't looking any better, and I had to finally speak up and tell her to call the vet out again to get rid of some of that excess scar tissue and help the healing process move along faster. She had the vet out and the vet removed a lot of it, but I haven't been back out to her place to see the mare since then.

Anyways, how are you doing now that you're only down to two horses? I'll bet you can't wait for your son to be born either! LMk how you've been :)

That's good that she wasn't pregnant (with her injured leg and all). Foals are a lot of work, too! That's good that they got the vet out again to take care of the leg. Hope it's healing ok now... Romy's leg had been bad in a similar way when she got injured last summer, but we were able to get it looking really good within a few weeks of treating her/bandaging her. You can barely tell she was ever injured looking at that leg now!

It is definitely nice to be down to two horses again finally. Goldie and Remedy seem perfectly content just the two of them. I don't think they really care that Serenity is gone... It's nice having two horses who are really easy to work with now. Remedy is coming along great with groundwork and Goldie has always had great ground manners and rides great no matter how long of a break she has had. I can't wait to start riding again! Haven't ridden since March because of the pregnancy. Might be moving back to Minnesota later this month, but it's up in the air right now. I would really like to, though... I want my son to grow up around his grandparents, uncle, aunt, etc. Plus, one of my best friends up there has a daughter who will be a year older than my Connor, so it would be nice to have our kids grow up together! At least now I am down to two horses, so I would only have to take one trip up to Minnesota with the horse trailer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Anyone got a cute "project" close to colorado? ;)

mrs- you can start Hat for me... [Crazy]

Rollin, I think you made the right decision gelding Cowboy first. As for the balls, my vet always just hucks them towards the farm dogs. Good protein.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this