Sign in to follow this  
Katie Schuur

Who Gets Gelded Today?

I gots a project for ya! His name is Buck, Project away! [Crazy]

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

When I said he needed a new zip code I didn't mean MINE! LOL

When I said he needed a new zip code I didn't mean MINE! LOL

[ROTFL] [ROTFL] Awwwww, come on! I thought you were giving me "subtle" hints that you wanted him to come to Colorado. I already started to pack his earmuffs! He can't wait to start building snowmen in the winter....or was that run from them? [Crazy]

You said you wanted a project horse. He's the biggest project horse you can find!

Quick question for everyone: How long is Cowboy going to bleed? It's almost been 24 hours now and when I went out to feed him and check up on him he is still dripping blood. I would have thought it would have coagulated by now. Is this normal?

Two or three day sometimes.

Don't worry, dripping blood a bit is normal.

Thank you manes :) I did get a bit worried because the blood was bright red new blood, not older dark blood, and I looked at the scrotum and it still had new blood coming out forming new droplets to fall. Poor guy... I think he was pretty excited about it being feeding time and the pacing back and forth in his stall didn't help. I put a call in to the vet as a precaution, and the receptionist took my name and number and said she'd ask him about it.

Sorry if I sound stupid, LOL! I've owned horses for over 20 years now, but this is the first time I've gelded one of my own. I've always bought geldings or mares :)

In the old days we used to have "Gelding days".

We did it different back then.

You braided a rope into their tail that was long enough to throw over the stall petition. Two guys got on the end of the rope.

The vet gave a mild tranquilizer, like for teeth floating, then the guys pulled on the rope to keep the horse from moving his hind end around.

Sometimes lifting him off the ground slightly.

Then the vet made and incision, pulled them out, snip, snip, and

Voila', done.

Tie the two of them together and the groom threw them up on the barn roof.

Go on to the next stall.

We just cold hosed and walked them for 20 min. twice daily and in over 20 years, never had an infection.