Sign in to follow this  
Katie Schuur

No Show/no Calls....

Everyone here was absolutely right when they told me that Cowboy would be more marketable once he's gelded. I put a Craigslist ad up offering to sell him or trade him for a rideable horse. I've had a TON of calls about him which is a stark contrast to when I had him listed for sale as a colt.

Yesterday this man calls me up and we have a detailed conversation about Cowboy. He wants to trade his 3 year old broke bay mare for him. He said it's because he wants a project, and he prefers geldings. YAY! Perfect! So then I asked him if he could email me a picture of the mare and he said he would. A couple hours later he calls me to tell me he emailed the picture and wants to know if I like what I see. I liked her! She was sooo pretty! So then he told me that he would load her up into his trailer, drive her over to my house tomorrow (which is today) and we'll take a closer look at both of our horses and decide if we are going to trade.

So now it's today and what do ya know.... No call... No show...

What do people do this for??? Why do people waste eachother's time? Why did he even bother emailing me with this mare's picture and why did he even bother calling in the first place??? What pisses me off to no end is that he even called me to ask if I got the email and if I liked the mare.

Sorry for the vent - but I am seriously torked off about this.

Edited by Rollin_after_a_bath

Wow! That bites! I'm sorry to hear that. That might explain why, when I went to look at one horse a few years ago, the lady pretty much fussed at me while we were discussing when to meet that "IF YOU DON'T WANT TO COME CALL ME!" Apparently, she'd had A LOT of that.

man, I hope the next time works out better. [Huggy]

That's why I hate selling anything. Stupid questions, tire kickers, and no shows. It drives me insane!

That's why hubby is selling my trailer for me, even though he is not a horse person!

that stuff goes both ways too-- tried to buy a horse 2 months ago--dealer/trainer whatever you want to clal them-was all up for it--said they had someone looking at them on thursday would let me know by friday if they wanted it---she was only 12 hours from me--i wanted going to haul that far and found out he was sold--

well no answer--and i emailed her for a week---she upped his price by 4,000 and still has him--o well, i just chalked it up...

i too hate to sell anything--i learned a long time ago not to change my plans to sit & wait on someone you know will not show--they want to come look- they fit into my schedule.

Did you not get *his* phone number so you could call him?

I haven't sold a horse, but I think I would get their contact numbers so I could contact them when they didn't show for a scheduled appointment. And appointment times would be kept/met on my schedule, with the potential buyer being aware if they did not show up w/in the time of their appointment time, and especially without a phone call to alert me of any delays...I wouldn't be holding up MY day to wait on them if I had other responsibilities to handle.

I had no calls/no shows on Serenity, too, and it irritated me because I purposely didn't make big plans for those days, but usually people actually showed up.

Did you set a time with him when he was going to come over? Maybe he prefers to come in the evening after it cools down. Something could have come up and he forgot to call you or had lost your number or something, too (though you would think DUH! Look on craigslist again, lol). I hope things work out for the best! But if you get the mare, you may want to think about gelding Tuff before October since he could technically breed a mare already and that 3 year old would definitely be going into heat!

Did you not get *his* phone number so you could call him?

I thought the number that showed up on my caller ID yesterday was his when he called me. I tried calling it today, and it turns out it's his work number and he wasn't at work today. I felt bad for calling when I found out it was his work, so I simply asked for him and when they said he wasn't in today I said "Thanks for your time, I'll just try him later" rather than leaving a message that pertains to personal affairs.

But boy oh boy, as an afterthought I really wish I would have confirmed with him a good number to reach him at - I just assumed he was calling from his own personal phone.

Well - I just got an email from the guy that was supposed to come out with his mare. Here's what it said:

hey katie this is lonnie with the mare sorry i didnt make it out there today i had problems with my truck so i will see when i can make it up there thanks and sorry

[bang Head] [bang Head] [bang Head]

Oh, Grrrr! ...and bumm deal about the work # and not a private #. That would have cheesed me right off my happy-cloud.

I've been on both ends.

First, we were hunting around for our first horse. Both dad and myself fell in love with a Belgian Mare. Apparently she was broke to ride, and in foal to a hanoverian stud. We told him we wanted to mull it over, due to her sheer size and wasnt what we originally had in mind. We phoned him not 2 hours later, and told him we wanted to come back out and ride her. Set up a second time. Showed up 10 minutes early too. He never showed, AT HIS OWN HOUSE. We waited, and waited, and waited. Called numbers, waited waited. I think we left after sitting there for 2 hours. Tried getting ahold of him, because we played with the mare while we waited. Just fell in love with her. Called the guy repeatedly for a week, telling him we wanted her. FINALLY, he returned our calls, says ``What Mare,... OH her, yeah, I sold her 3 days ago.....[Duh]

And then my selling experience. I board my horses 80km away. It`s not a quick little drive to get there. I had this girl expected to come up. We arranged a time, I left work early. Got halfway there and she called me to tell me she changed her mind. Couldn`t have called first thing in the morning, but waited until half an hour before our appointment to tell me it`s too far of a drive for her. :thud: So we carry on as is. THEN, she calls me 2 days later, tells me she looked at the pictures again, and she just can`t stop thinking about her. So, once again, we made set up a time. I said to her that I need to know MUCH sooner if she`s not going to make it. She apologized over and over again. LUCKILY, she showed up with a trailer, and looked at her for 10 minutes before writing me a cheque. :happy0203:

Sorry your experience isn`t going well. You`ll find that perfect home for him.

[Huggy]

Thank you so much - I'm glad you can all relate, but it's unfortunate at the same time that you CAN relate.

My digital camera broke a couple of weeks ago so the only pictures I have of Cowboy are not that good and they are a couple months old. A friend of mine (Kimberly, the lady who took Romy) is going to come over today with her digital camera so we could get some better pictures of Cowboy. I am going to update his ad with a conformation shot, a saddled-up shot, a trotting/running shot and hopefully I'll get some better responses. So far this is the only decent picture I have of Cowboy and it's not a good sale ad picture, so here's hoping some new pics will help do the trick!

Cowboy a couple months ago:

102_3779.jpg

the last horse i sold i did cancel our dinner nite out for a guy--he called me later that nite from work saying he had to work late--would come first thing in the morning---hey i couldnt bash anyone wanting OT nowadays--just wish he could have called me insteda of me canceling my "date nite" and waiting for 4 hours-GRRRRRR..

but he did show up brite & early on time the next day--and bought her...

but then again- we're selling tack---sent a million pics to people--they get me down to their price-- i agree- and NEVER HERE FROM THEM AGAIN--LOL

good luck---i think alot of people want then agree---then if they have the time--work happens & $

Okay my friend just left and we snapped some new pictures of Cowboy. Please let me know what you think of the pictures. Pick them apart, I would like to know what people are thinking if they see these pics in his sale ad.

Here they are:

cowboy012.jpg

cowboy007.jpg

cowboy013.jpg

cowboy009.jpg

I like those pictures muuuuuuuuuuuuuuch better than the first one you had. Much much better! If I was in the market for a horse like him, I'd definitely be wanting to call and find out more about him based on those pictures. he looks pretty nice there.

I like those pictures muuuuuuuuuuuuuuch better than the first one you had. Much much better! If I was in the market for a horse like him, I'd definitely be wanting to call and find out more about him based on those pictures. he looks pretty nice there.
Thank you so, so much sugar lady. This makes me feel better about having my friend come over in the 100 degree heat with her digital camera, LOL!

Just had to throw this one in there - the picture above was cropped to ger Tuff out of the pic - he wanted to run and play too, LOL!

cowboy012-1-1.jpg

Awwwwwwwww, look at little Tuff! man, he's growing like a weed, isn't he! That's a cute pic!

Glad you cropped him out. One of my oober picky peeves when folks send me pics of a horse is seeing another horse with them. it's distracting to me, and my eye keeps bouncing back and forth from the horse I'm supposed to look at to the other horse.

One thing I just noticed. Do you have any full butt shots of the horse? I just realised you cut off his legs a bit in the hindquarters shot. not that much of a biggie, since you can still tell most everything else about him. I definitely think the pics are well worth your friend braving the 100? temps to take pics. [Jump]

Well, the only other picture I have that may be close to a full butt shot is this one here, but I'm kicking myself now for not getting a complete full butt shot. He just wouldn't stand still for nothing, LOL!

cowboy008-1.jpg

Nice lookin horse! I LOVE the one of Tuff running along, he's come a long way.

I can't complain much, luck seems to follow me at times. If I call about anything and tell someone I will be there, I WILL BE THERE. If something happens, I CALL. It's just courtesy.

Sorry it fell through, things happen for reasons.

I CAN'T CONTAIN MY EXCITEMENT!!!! A man just came over and bought cowboy!!!!! He wants me to keep him at my place just long enough to line up a trailer, which is fine with me because he handed over cash :) I am so, so happy I took those newer pictures. They really did the trick!! [Yay] :yay::yahoo:

Trails4me - you are sooo right. Everything happens for a reason. Cowboy was on the best behavior that I've ever seen. I explained in detail all of his bad points as well as his good points, and I really think the fact that I was just gut-level honest from the get-go really makes me feel good about this sale. Not that I would have been dishonest, I'm just saying that selling a horse can make you feel so much more comfortable when you KNOW the buyers KNOWS what he's buying.

So.... Now I am going to Red Lobster, and then I'm going to start my search for a riding horse! I'm just one step closer to being able to go trail riding with my son. Yay, Yay, yay!!!! Oh and btw - I'm going to make darn sure that I'm a courteous buyer.

Thank you! I knew I had him sold as soon as I told him that Cowboy is NOT for kids, and the guy said "Well, he's going to be MY horse, I'm buying him for me and I'll make sure to supervise my kids while I'm handling him." And then from the moment he saw Cowboy he had a huge grin on his face, and he kept asking me all kinds of questions as far as what he needs to "buy tonight" as far as the same type of feed, etc. The guy that bought him is in the Army, and at the end of August he is going to be gone for 2-3 months. He told me that he is going to send Cowboy to the trainer's for the time that he's gone. I was very happy to hear it, because that's exactly what Cowboy's next step ought to be :)

Now I'm in "hunt" mode, LOL! I am going to find that pretty, well-trained and well-bred buckskin I've been wanting for a long time now :) I'll be sure to keep everyone updated, and hopefully I'll be posting pics of my new riding horse soon.