EricaLeeLavin

Tips On Mane Pulling?

Ok, so I just got this new horse with an extremely thick mane which has been pulled in the past, but I got her and it hasn't been done in a while.... I would like to shorten it and thin it a little so that I can braid it for English.. I have always had horses with long manes... So I have never done it before! I know you are supposed to do it from the bottom, but other than that, I am clueless!! :) Help! [Question]

I dont know much about mane pulling, so im sure there are others on here who will be better able to help you, but i just wanted to suggest moving your topic to the General Horse Talk topic. I think you may be able to get help there. [smiley Wavey] hope this helps! (also, you can try googling "mane pulling" and see if you can find something that way)

I don't like to pull a mane but in order to show dressage on my old TB(who had a thick mane)---Thin it from underneath. - I leave about four inches to braid or band.

Traditionally you use the metal comb-thin with a twist and flick of the wrist-this takes awhile and some horses won't stand still-I cheat with a thinning blade(a good bot knife will work too). A thinning blade is like a sharp comb-be careful it's easy to get it too short.

A pulled mane should NEVER look like it was cut with scissors. If that is all you have to thin with point them straight up and cut in tiny increments.

Thin the dock of the tail with a thinning blade too. You want a clean line at the dock of the tail.

If you do it after riding, when the horse is warm and the pores are open, the hair will slide out more easily. Also do a little bit at a time, most horses aren't too happy to stand there and have it all done at once! (although I have a weird mare that seems to enjoy having her mane pulled. she also likes a curry comb taken to her face. rofl)

I usually take a pair of thinning scissors to it first to thin it then I start at the bottom of the mane where it's longest, then I take about 5-10 hairs and push (actually like ratting it upward) the other hair up and pull the long hairs on my finger straight down quickly. Doing a few hairs at a time helps with soreness. It takes me days to even a mane out. I also do AQHA for banding and their manes have to be 1-2 inches long so I cut them with scissors but it never looks cut if you do it right. It takes years to perfect it though. I refuse to cut my big mares mane so I make it even all the way across the bottom so it looks so nice. I pull it to a certain lenght. I usually have the hairs break above the line I want so it's still full and thick. That's why I suggest a thinning scissors. Good luck!!

I usually take a pair of thinning scissors to it first to thin it then I start at the bottom of the mane where it's longest, then I take about 5-10 hairs and push (actually like ratting it upward) the other hair up and pull the long hairs on my finger straight down quickly. Doing a few hairs at a time helps with soreness. It takes me days to even a mane out. I also do AQHA for banding and their manes have to be 1-2 inches long so I cut them with scissors but it never looks cut if you do it right. It takes years to perfect it though. I refuse to cut my big mares mane so I make it even all the way across the bottom so it looks so nice. I pull it to a certain lenght. I usually have the hairs break above the line I want so it's still full and thick. That's why I suggest a thinning scissors. Good luck!!
mspaints is spot on :) i do it excatley the same ! thinning scissors are the go