Trovillion

Corn Husks?

Anybody ever fed green corn husks to horses as a "treat"? A friend said she was going to be giving her horse the corn husks while she was "freezing" her corn. What about mold, etc.?

Just curious. I have never heard of anyone doing this. Thanks.

I have a bag in the frig. right now for the horses and goats. They love it. I give them the ends of the corn too. I have put it in the freezer and had to problems with it later. Great way to recycle.

My whole family saves them for me. It adds a shine to the coats like polish. In the fall I feed a few corn stalks from my BIL's garden. They love those too.

I feed it to mine too. Some of the horses will not touch it at all, but most of them love it! I'm always careful to not feed them ones with mold on them though.

I feed them in moderation as treats, and my dad brings some stalks over from his garden a couple of times each summer. The mini horses get all excited when he pulls in the driveway in his truck because they know it means corn stalks, lol. He never drives the truck unless he has goodies for them. Sparrow likes to grab the cornstalk and chase Mary around with it, smacking her on the rump. It's the only time he can get away with pushing HER around instead of the other way around. brego has not yet experienced the "gift of the corn stalks".

But again, it is all in moderation, after carefully inspecting the husks and stalks for mold, mildew, slimy spots, etc.

Feed it, they love it, and it's good for them. Mine loves fruit, lettuce, potatoes, cabbage leaves (in moderation as it gives em gas), spinach, toast and tries to drink my coffee too. Silly horse.

Mine also love them. I buy it special for them instead of sugary treats. They eat the whole thing con and husks. They prance around for them. They just bite off they just bite off chunks

I'm confused.... [Question]

are we talking the husks off the corn cobs themselves or the whole stalk pulled out of the garden once the corn has been picked??

I love the idea but want to be sure I am giving her the right stuff.

Thanks

My neighbor has always tossed them into the pasture w/ his horse, and now my horses too. I didn't know for sure, but since his horse is a healthy 26, it must be okay, right?