Sign in to follow this  
Foxyness19

Fresian Cross Eventing...

What would be your initial opinion of a Fresian/Thoroughbred eventing? I'm looking at buying a 4 year old, and she's a really cool horse if i wanted to do just dressage. She's a compliment of both breeds, has nice thoroughbred looking feet, with a nice thick mane and tail. Really attractive! She's not heavy like a fresian, but i don't know if she "jumps" like a fresian...aka not very well.

I compete Prelim... but she's just too darn cute to pass up. What do you guys think?

Edited by Jocelyn

we didnt have much to work with since it was a dressage farm, but i set up a small pole on two chairs. First a cross bar, and then a straight rail about 2 feet high. For a BIG 16'2 warmblood...it didnt phase her. She barely made effort, hoping its because it was too small..not because she wasnt interested. Any opinions? Gosh she was cute tho..decisions decisions!! Do i want to be a dressage rider instead of an eventer? lol

I've seen some very nice half friesian jumpers...the only thing to watch out is Friesians do tend to overheat and aren't known for their endurance. The TB infusion could help that...but each case will be individual as well. I even know of one friesian/saddlebred cross that went on to do steeple chasing!!

It really depends on the individual, like with draft crosses. If the horse moves and is built more like a Friesian, then I'd lean towards no as they are bred as carriage horses. That tends to give a horse not necessary built to jump well. However, there are also variations among the Friesian breed, between those bred for sport and those bred for driving.

It also depends on your personal goals- if you just want to do some lower level stuff, and this horse really makes you happy, then by all means go for it!