Sign in to follow this  
arabianluv

Angsting...

I'm going to try not to go into too much detail, but I'm at a crossroads in my equine life. My horse can, for sure, do a couple of seasons at the 3'6", and then be done, or he can go on and do the 3' for many many seasons. The latter would mean leasing or selling him, which would mean I have a significant amount of money to go to germany and buy a horse. It would be a no brainer, but that horse is so... "special", I just don't know if I could trust him with anyone else. I guess whenever you sell a horse, you have that to deal with, but I had always hoped that I would make him famous and then bring him home to live out his days in the big field. The plan was always to lease him out to pack someone around 3' when he was finished with his days as a big time AO hunter. I just am feeling like that has come along a lot sooner than I had anticipated.

Edited by Grace

I understand your angst...

My horse is a star.. he is seriously almost perfect.. No spook, no refusal, Super forgiving, can walk right into the show ring with no problems.

He is my junior jumper, but he is also 13.

I know that doing junior jumpers is really tough on a horse and it can take a lot out of him.

I would never want to sell him to anyone.. he is my baby..

However, when I look at the big pcture I always worry about his age and the only reason I would ever consider selling him would be if I found a younger version of my horse.

Once I graduate college, which isnt for 5 more years, my parents are cutting off the funds and they wont buy me another horse..

So looking at the big picture.. I know that I will be able to do more with a younger horse.. but I dont think i would be able to sell my horse. ever. But thats me. and that is most likely the choice Im going to make. When he is retired... unless I make tons of money out of college or marry someone with money... Im done, because mommy and daddy arent always going to be there to pay for my horses. Idk we will see what happens

You have to do what is better for you in the long run.. where do you want to go in the equine world.. and your going to have to trust someone else with your horse if thats the route you choose to take.. It's the way the horse world works

ETA: I do love your horse though :jump:

Edited by TheBigRedDog

And 3 months ago, I would have said the same thing. It changes things when "someday" turns into "in a few months". Imagine someone tells you that your horse can do the childrens until he's well into old age or you can do the juniors for another season and then he's done, and you're done when you still have a couple years left of having the financing in place to have a big show horse. Getting aggressive with the maintainence and doing the AOs and just using him up when I know he won't hold up to it long term just seems cruel.

Edited by Grace

And 3 months ago, I would have said the same thing. It changes things when "someday" turns into "in a few months".

I understand...

I don't know your financial situation or anything about you really, but I guess you will have to think about where you want to be in the long run and be realistic.

Don't let who is going to purchase your horse prevent you from selling him..

You don't have to sell him to someone if you dont like them.. you get the last say..

I really hope everything works out for you..

I know it's an incredibly difficult decision

And 3 months ago, I would have said the same thing. It changes things when "someday" turns into "in a few months". Imagine someone tells you that your horse can do the childrens until he's well into old age or you can do the juniors for another season and then he's done, and you're done when you still have a couple years left of having the financing in place to have a big show horse. Getting aggressive with the maintainence and doing the AOs and just using him up when I know he won't hold up to it long term just seems cruel.

What about the Low A/O 3'3" Hunters or the 3'3" Modifed Jr/Am Hunters. The 3' and 3'3" stuff is a lot easier on the horses soundness wise. Have you considered those 3'3" divisions? :winking:

What about the Low A/O 3'3" Hunters or the 3'3" Modifed Jr/Am Hunters. The 3' and 3'3" stuff is a lot easier on the horses soundness wise. Have you considered those 3'3" divisions? :winking:

If she's looking for points than that division is useless considering that it is an unrated division..

3'3" hunters is really just a place that people show in for a couple shows so they can get used to the height and don't have to make that big 3 foot to 3'6 jump.. It's the same with modified junior jumpers or modified anything really..

it isn't long term.

In terms of selling him, people either want a 3 foot horse or a 3'6 horse so showing him in mods would be pointless IMO....

Grace... Maybe you could show your pony in 3'6 for a season or half a season and sell him after that as either a childrens/adult hunter or a junior/AO hunter for a few more seasons..

If your dream is to take this horse to the Junior/AO's, I don't think that a season or half of a season of showing in the 3'6" will take that much out of him.

If he's happy and healthy I don't see a problem with it

since you edited this...

Think long term of the type of rider you want to be.

If your okay with being a 3 foot rider than thats perfectly fine. Keep your horse and continue to show if.

If you choose to sell him and take advantage of your last years of funding than thats perfectly fine as well. It's all about where you want to get in the future.

If your dream is showing in the JR/AO's and qualifying for indoor, devon ect. than maybe it's time to sell your current horse.

If you just want to have fun and continue to show your horse in the 3 foot and feel like you will be too crushed if you sell him.. than don't sell him and continue to take advantage of his success and his continuing success in the 3 foot ring.

I hope I'm helping.... [Huggy]

If she's looking for points than that division is useless considering that it is an unrated division..

3'3" hunters is really just a place that people show in for a couple shows so they can get used to the height and don't have to make that big 3 foot to 3'6 jump.. It's the same with modified junior jumpers or modified anything really..

it isn't long term.

In terms of selling him, people either want a 3 foot horse or a 3'6 horse so showing him in mods would be pointless IMO....

Grace... Maybe you could show your pony in 3'6 for a season or half a season and sell him after that as either a childrens/adult hunter or a junior/AO hunter for a few more seasons..

If your dream is to take this horse to the Junior/AO's, I don't think that a season or half of a season of showing in the 3'6" will take that much out of him.

If he's happy and healthy I don't see a problem with it

Actually, the Low A/O Hunter division IS a USEF rated division and they must jog for ribbons.

"HU115 Amateur Owner Sections.

1. Amateur Owner 3?6?

a. When a section is divided, one section must be offered for amateurs 18-35 years of

age and one section for amateurs over 35 years of age. When divided as to age of rider

no horse may compete in more than one section. Age must be given on entry blank.

These sections may be further divided by age of rider or by every other number.

b. ?A? or ?AA? rated sections must be offered as at least two (2) divided sections, one

for amateurs 18-35 years of age and one for amateurs over 35 years of age.

c. If the Amateur Owner and Junior Hunter sections are offered with an ?A?, ?B? or ?C?

rating, and there are less than three (3) entries in either section, they may be combined.

The competition management may choose to combine the classes as necessary,

based on the sections with the lightest entries. If sections are combined, the

horses must jump the respective height of the section entered. In addition while the

divisions can be combined if entries warrant, in order for Horse of the Year points to

count they must be offered separately in the prize list. BOD 1/13/08 Effective 12/1/08

EC 11/17/08 Effective 12/1/08

2. Amateur Owner 3?3?

a. One section may be offered at 3?3?. If entries exceed 40, the section must be split by the age of the rider, 18-35 and 36 and over.

b. Riders may cross enter between the Adult Amateur (if Zone Specifications permit),

Amateur Owner 3?3? and/or the Amateur Owner 3?6? divisions. Horses may not cross

enter between the divisions.

c. To be ridden by Amateur Owners or an amateur member of the owner?s family. In

either case, classes are restricted to riders who are no longer eligible to compete as

junior exhibitors. Leased horses are not eligible and multiple ownership is not permitted

unless all owners are members of the same family. BOD 1/13/08 Effective 12/1/08"

The Modified Jr./AO divisions are unrated. :smilie:

Edited by Horsezee

It's a tough place to be.

My guy made up my mind for me when I was at the crossroads about getting a new horse or pushing him a little longer. My old guy has been lame for over 6 months now... there's not a chance of him coming back to the high child adult and being considered for my low jr/ao jumper.

My suggestion would be to try to find someone nearby or even in the barn for your horse... and then move on up.

The welfare of your current horse is paramount. But your goals shouldn't be sidelined just because your current horse can't take you where you want to go or stay there with you.

I'm sorry Grace. I'm in the same boat. I can push Riley to go to 4th or maybe (maybe) PSG, but I think it would break him in the end. Or I can do a season at 3rd and sell him to be a mid-level schoolmaster, and have him clock out the wins at training-2nd. But he's my best friend, and is a high maintenance nutcase only a mother could love. :) I have a mare that I thought would take me the next step, but in two years, she hasn't come through like a wanted. I've brought 3 babies to first level, but I can't afford, unless I sell them all, to get a horse for my Silver Medal.

Plus, I've been loitering at this crossroad for 3 years now, and still haven't found the answer!

May you find yours sooner than I!!

Sorry to hijack your post Grace, but I just thought I would address KTS here because I know how tough it has been with Amore and, although I'm solely an online witness, I'm not sure if its going to work out. It really saddens me.

You sold your three projects, correct? Maybe you could afford a young one with the talent to go all the way with those + Amore (although I don't know how sellable she is in the market right now frankly...that mare sounds hit-and-miss)?

Additionally, I feel you on the Lego and Riley thing. That is a tough thing to do. I don't envy either one of you at all.

I tried to ride today- it made me so sad and worried... I feel like I need a darn cheerleading squad to convince me to do anything.

Go Grace!

You're the Best!

Beat the Rest!

Goooo Graaaaaace!!!

(Yeah, I was never a cheerleader.)

I rode Frais yesterday and it was my best ride ever on him. And that made me really depressed.

Grace, remember when I was selling The Red Horse? The words and guidance you gave me then are applicable to you now.

This has to be one of the hardest decisions you'll make-- I know for me, it was absolutely the best thing I could have done, even if it wasn't the easiest decision.

If you need to, send me a PM, I'm always open ears.

*hugs*

Heh, more like "Go Grace! One 2' fence won't make him lame!"

Rachel, thanks. I had forgotten about that. It's always so much easier to tell someone else what to do, but I remember how it was with Red, and I see how fantastic he is at his new job now.

I feel like leasing him would be a good option for childrens jumper- or 3ft, whatever its called. Because then you still own him and kind of still call the shots. You would be getting money monthly from him, which is good.

Seems like a win win, then you can retire him when he is old and can't compete and maybe by them you will have money to spare to keep feeding him!

Feeding him is currently 500 bucks a month in addition to board, so hopefully when he is old and not doing anything, he'll be able to eat like a normal horse, and it won't be such a burden!

OK...Rachel...why did we go back to the old screen name? I'm confuzzeled!

Grace, I'm so sorry. I'll talk to you later. :)

I feel like leasing him would be a good option for childrens jumper- or 3ft, whatever its called.

It's childrens hunters

Childrens jumpers is 3'6" :tongue9:

I think leasing him for a season or a year or whatever would be a good place to start. It could give you a chance to "let him go" without really losing control before you're ready. While that's going on you could either lease a mount for yourself or buy, whatever your financial situation allows, that you can do what you want with.

While my gelding is no longer a show horse or even jump-able, I'm in a rough boat with him as well. He's old and hard to maintain...not very sellable. But he's the type of horse that needs a job...and I can no longer do that with 2 full capable competition horses running right now. So we're choosing to lease him to a small girl at the barn. Light work a few times a week with a small kid is going to pretty much keep him alive, and I don't have to "send him down the road" to where I can no longer have control over him...he's just not a horse that I could ever sell, nor is he really sellable any more, like I said.

OK...Rachel...why did we go back to the old screen name? I'm confuzzeled!

Grace, I'm so sorry. I'll talk to you later. :)

I logged in as ER to search through my PM box, and now I can't remember my TBH password. *sigh*