SpiffyGrl

Saddle Help!

I just obtained this old saddle from a family friend. It needs some pieces replaced, but I'm mainly wondering if anyone can tell me who made it (no marker's mark) and/or how old it is.

Here are some before and after pics of just cleaning it. I'll take more after I oil it as well.

This is the cinch rigging that I thought was interesting.

Newsaddleb4.jpg

This is the underside. Not too bad, at least I think so.

Newsaddleb5.jpg

Left side, Before and After.

Newsaddleb1.jpg

Newsaddlea2.jpg

Right side, Before and After.

Newsaddleb3.jpg

Newsaddlea1.jpg

Top, Before and After.

Newsaddleb2.jpg

Newsaddlea3.jpg

Now, remember these pics are from after cleaning only. I'll probably clean it a little more before I oil it, but if anyone has any inkling on who made it or how old it is please chime in!

Thanks for taking a look!

Edited by SpiffyGrl

Couldn't even begin to tell you. Tree shots? Rigging? Clean it ALOT more before you oil it, kiddo. Get as much of the dirt off of it as you can. Got a shot of the frog?

I'd say '60s and later, perhaps. Looks like it was a pretty decent 8-string saddle at one time. That rigging looks Californian.

I'd bet Jack's seen one someplace.

Edited by RollingThunder

Don't worry RT! I was planning on cleaning it a lot more before I oiled it.

Yeah, some of the the strings broke when I was cleaning tonight so it doesn't have all of them now. :(

I'll get some tree and rigging shots for you, but you're gonna have to explain a 'frog shot' to me before I can get one for ya.

Thanks for your help!

The Frog is the leather piece connecting the rear seat jockeys behind the cantle. Usually has something stamped on it, whether it be a number or a mark.

Saddle strings are easily replaced, so don't sweat that.

I would agree with RT, made in early sixtys and I just bet it's a very comfortable saddle. What do the backside of the fenders look like?

Ditto on Pre-70. Farmer bundles usually have a few "strings" you can replace them easily.

We;ve been known to hose a really nasty saddle off- let it dry and drench it in oil-neetsfoot used to be the norm before all the light oil finishes of today. Careful on any thread stitching though it tends to rot after a while.

I'm no saddle expert. You need Jack to look at this.

It looks like a 50's Bona Allen, the ones they made without their mark on.

If you wanna get it super clean:

Take some glycerine saddle soap, warm water and a tooth brush to those dusty areas where the pommel and horn come together, around the rosettes, and inside the saddle leathers.

Have TONS of rags on hand because as you work the soap up to a lather with the toothbrush, you need to wipe off the skummy dirt, rinse your toothbrush and repeat.

Your saddle will look alot more even in color if you so this to those areas darkened with worn in dirt.

Nice saddle. Me likey!!!

RT: Thanks for the 'Frog' info. No stamp or marker's mark that I could see, but I will get a pic of that for ya.

Zaar: I'll get some pics of the underside of the fenders for ya.

Mar: I'll look for stitching, but I didn't see any last night when I cleaned.

Manes: Got a toothbrush and lots of rags! You likey my Dude too. hehe!

I really likey the cute puppy in the third pic, peaking around the corner.

He is a Kee~You~te Pie~!!

Actually that poster has two puppies in the bucket. If you want it I can send it to ya. I've had that poster for years. Only reason it's still there is because I hate the pink paint on the walls and all the poster cover most of it up. hehe!

It's not a Bona Allen. I think I found your saddle in a 1963 Big Horn catalog.

It was what we called a general-purpose or rent string saddle. The narrow

stirrup leathers going through a slot in the fender tells me it was an

inexpensive saddle and the Big Horn price list proves it. I'd bet it has a

single-tongue buckle on the stirrup leather.

also you know those streamer/Concho's thing just screw out! I just replaced mine with new Montana silver w/o the streamers(I hate those things dangling!) You can order the silver and either w/ or w/o screws to replace what ya got it will look nice!

Jack: You hit it right on the nail head!!!!! Single-tongue buckle on the stirrups and that wasn't in ANY of the pics!!! Your soooo goood Jack!!!

Honey: Thanks. I'll look at them a little better when I clean it tonight . . . . in just a few mintues. hehe!

Thank you everyone! I'll be sure to put up new pics after I clean it some more.

LOL. Saddle strings come in VERY handy on the trail. My SIMCO is a 6-string saddle, and I have 24" strings on. I tie off a lot of stuff with them. So much so, I took some latigo sueded splits and added strings on my Aussie. LOL.

I'll have to figure out how to get the strings off first! I took the back ones off last night and the strings go throught the leather to the tree (I think it's the tree). I don't want to bend the fenders up too much until I've got it good and cleaned and oiled.

Stitching is all good, that I can see. Used the toothbrush last night and got all the really hard to reach areas. Here the pics I took.

This one it the back before I cleaned it last night. I don't think it's a very good 'frog' shot though.

Newsaddlea4.jpg

And these are after the toothbrush cleaning. Took these pics before I tried to take the back strings off so they are still there.

Newsaddleaa1.jpg

Newsaddleaa3.jpg

Newsaddleaa4.jpg

Newsaddleaa5.jpg

Newsaddleaa2.jpg

And here's the rag and water after the cleaning as well.

Newsaddledirt.jpg

so...your don't have a wood screw behind the leather concho? nine did and if you want new strings you could replace them with the ones with silver and slot they also screw on its a wood screw w the other en srews on to the concho,then the streamers not on .I save'd mine for if I trail ride and need them for showing I didn't its pretty easy to just screw them off and change conchos!Also to rreplace the leathers should one get broken! or old, http://cowboychapandconcho.com this is where zi got my stuff really cheep too!

No, the leather conchos were nailed in! The nails have all but rusted now, but I'm not sure how to get the strings out without damaging the leather around them. I'll be sure to keep that site handy when I go to possible replace them though. Thanks.

OK Spiffy you said to come over here. Now what do I do? [ROTFL] Well it looks like Jack beat me to it. It is absolutely not a Bona Allen as I was bidding on a gorgeous old Bona Allen made in the original Georgia plant if you remember me going through that Spiff. Did a lot of research on the history of the Bona Allens and I knew it wasn't one. I have had several big horns old ones that is and that is what I would have went with but it would have been just a guess unlike Jack.LOL. You sure are improving what it looked like when you put it on my thread Spiff. Very good on the cleaning. I have learned to that some use baby powder on the tree area to cut out squeaking leather. That one is new to me. it was on Yahoo questions.

Keep up the good work on it Spiffy but watch the stitching. I have had terrible trouble with older saddles with stitching rotting. Not sure how you can save it and protect it from further damage unless it would be some kind of sealant.

With your saddle strings running through the tree (and in some of the pics you have shown, also through the fleece), I would advise against screw-in conchos. The strings are there to add some stability to the connection of the skirts, tree and jockeys. The only thing I would actually screw in would the conchos, with a good coated screw that was only ever-so slightly larger than the nail it replaces. The idea is to re-seal the hole in the tree, without further damaging the tree. If you have rust on that nail, you have moisture. If you have moisture, you have potential for damage to the tree, however minute. Any hardware store will have them, so take your nail, and tell the counter guy you need to replace these nails with coated screws, same shaft diameter and length.

Replacing saddle strings that run through the whole assembly is actually pretty easy. You can snip the strings, and pull them, and they using a dull screwdriver, you can use it to feed the new string through the holes and conchos. Screw the conchos in place, and the bleed-knot the strings, and you're good to go. If you really need some "bling" on there, you can get new leather slotted conchos, dye them to color, and then instead of two conchos stacked, place a slotted metal concho on top of the slotted leather.

You're doing good so far, so keep it up, and good luck.

Thanks!!!!! I'll be sure to do all of that RT! I'm not sure if the strings run through the tree or through anoghter piece of leather that is over the tree. I'm waiting to get it cleaner and all oiled before I bend the fenders too much. Don't want to break the fender leather.

That's alright Zaar. I'll probably take more pics tonight after I clean it again. Gotta clean my Texas Star Show Bridle as well.

Yeah. I even got a matching Texas Star show saddle. Still need to find a breast collar that matches the dark chocolate color of the saddle and bridle.

I'll get the pics I took up after I feed. I also got 3 of the strings out, so now it's a 5 string saddle. hehehe! Be back in a jif!

So, here are the ones after last nights (the 3rd) cleaning. Does it look clean enough to oil now? The water really wasn't dirty after I was done and I'm afraid I'll talk off some of the staining the maker put on. Any who, here are the pics.

Newsaddleaaa1.jpg

Newsaddleaaa2.jpg

Newsaddleaaa3.jpg

Newsaddleaaa4.jpg

Newsaddleaaa5.jpg

Here's the bottom side again. Maybe you can see where I had to take the strings out of the back 2 and one on the right side right next to the cantle.

Newsaddleaaa6.jpg

Yes, it's clean enough to oil. Light coats with EVOO. One coat on, let it soak in, another coat on, let it soak in. Finish it up with Blackrock, let it dry a few days, then buff. A light tack will be all you have, which will keep your keister firmly planted in the seat.

Well . . . . . I don't have all that. All I got is the leather oil I got at Orscheln's. I use it on my other saddles and tack and it works really good. You think a couple coats of the oil I have would be okay?

Edited by SpiffyGrl

Well, since you never answered I went ahead and used the oil I have. It's a leather conditioner and preserver so I don't think it will do anything bad. I also took some pics of the saddle after I oiled it, but for some reason one of them didn't load correct from my camera to 'puter so not all the views are there. Here are the ones that did load though.

Newsaddleoila2.jpg

Newsaddleoila3.jpg

Newsaddleoila4.jpg

Newsaddleoila5.jpg

And just for Zaar here are the pics of the Texas Star Show Bridle after I got it back together.

Brow band.

TSbridle1.jpg

Cheek piece.

TSbridle2.jpg

And the rein attachment.

TSbridle3.jpg

Edited by SpiffyGrl

Sorry RT. I kinda needed to know that night as I was heading down to go oil it. Glad the stuff I have will work. Havent' had time to oil it since then, but hopefully I can oil it tonight. Maybe not, I just looked at the clock and it's past midnight! I'll oil it tomorrow night and take more pics.