Sign in to follow this  
RolinRiver

Riper Update - It's Been Awhile!

Hey there fellow forum goers! Believe it or not, I haven't dropped off the face of the earth but it's been an awful long time since I've been on here to do more than browse the topics! It's hard to believe how wild this year has been with Riper... It's even harder to believe Im looking at selling him towards the end of October. Unforunately it's about time for me to start moving on towards college and keeping him isn't going to be in the cards... but so far It's been an interesting season!

Riper and I had a wonderful comeback from our accident almost 3 years ago.... I never dreamed it would take such a hit on me as a rider but at the same time I know it's made me that much stronger. We had big plans this spring to have a successull competitive saeson at Training level... those plans were unfortunately shot down when Riper injured his right eye and ended up with a horrible indolent ulcer that took 5 months, 2 biopsies and a surgery to correct. In the meantime, he was still given the clear to be ridden and worked regularly since the ulcer was not in an area of the cornea effecting his vision but he wasn't even close to being the same. We ended up back at square one where he was having issues stopping at fences and sliding into them. Took us another month to get him back to normal once the eye healed and it seemed that we were back on track!

We successfully competed at the Midsouth Pony Club Horse Trials in the Open Novice division in June, his first event since October and I couldn't have been happier with the outcome. We had a middle of the road but workmanlike dressage test and would have finished in 2nd place had I not goofed on stadium and caused him to yank a cheap rail! But it felt great to be back in competition.

We went on to complete another local event at the Novice level, redeeming ourselves with a great clear stadium round and what was by far the best cross country ride I've ever had on Riper. We were able to jump some of the training course as well and he was the best he's ever felt!

2 weeks after the last event, he also packed around my Trainer's 12-year old daughter in an Eric and Sarah Dierks Clinic at the Novice level after she had ridden him only 3 times before, and he had NEVER been ridding cross country before by anybody but myself!

We plan to do our first official Training level horse trial at Flying Cross next month - I'm feeling confident that it will be a success, assuming we don't have any more bumps in the road along the way!

Now, On to some updated pictures! It's been a long time since I've posted any!

Landing.jpg

Slottedtable.jpg

IMG_0835.jpg

IMG_3192.jpg

Unfortunately the rest are copyrighted! Ugh!

that's awesome to hear he's back on track! I know how frustrating and up-in-the-air eye problems can be... oh jeeze. You never know how it's going to turn out. At least you got it corrected without the ulcer affecting his vision! He sounds like a strong little guy :)

Congrats on the events! You guys made quite a comeback! And the pictures are great, i especially like the second one. Good luck at the training event!

:smilie: