Sign in to follow this  
arabiansforever

Keeping Horses In Corrals

does it make a die earlier than in a pasture my neighbor said it shortens a horses life . i have never hear of anything like that in my life. i know braking them too Young shortens their usefulness .but keep a horse in a shortens their life any on here know

Edited by arabiansforever

???

If i'm reading this correctly, your neighbor told you keeping a horse in a corral with no pasture turnout shortens their lives?

You should probably get horse advice from someone else. That one sounds like a know it all with no knowledge. There are places where corrals are all they have, no pasture available.

I know if i kept my horses on pasture 24/7 THAT would shorten their lives. They'd be obese. Three of mine get turn out all night, the other two get turn out 2-3 hrs in the morning and the same at night. they are both on a diet.

As for breaking them too young, if it's done correctly it does no damage. I never advocate starting a saddle horse younger than 2 personally, but it can be done (by professionals, and sadly, dam few of them can do it correctly either).

Bumper

If you mean keeping a horse permanently in a very small corral where they get no daily exercise ? I don't know if it would shorten their life but it would not make for a happy healthy horse.

My two geldings are in a 2 1/2 acre dry lot. I turn them out on grass for 6-8 hrs daily. They have plenty of room to run around and have hay and feed, minerals, worming, vet care, etc. They are very healthy and happy.

I agree horses should not be worked hard when yourng, and especially if underdeveloped , but each horse is different and some are ready to be ridden at 2, some not.

Corals are very nice for sorrels, but I really prefer turquoise for bays.

Ozland:

Corals are very nice for sorrels, but I really prefer turquoise for bays

[ROTFL] [ROTFL] [ROTFL] [ROTFL]

Corals are very nice for sorrels, but I really prefer turquoise for bays.

...and if you go down a slope at a really fast lope, then it would be a mistake to not train them to brake.

thanks to the people that answered my post right . when i wrote this i was tired and did not not use the spell check i usual do. so i miss spelled some words. so i guess you have to be a expert speller to be on this site so i am leaving by

thanks to the people that answered my post right . when i wrote this i was tired and did not not use the spell check i usual do. so i miss spelled some words. so i guess you have to be a expert speller to be on this site so i am leaving by

Don't go away. I don't think anyone was trying to drive you off. We DO like to have fun with one another here so, don't take it personally.

I am a bit dyslexic and mess my posts up, write disjointed sentences and sometimes don't get my point across. If I have to go back and clarify after someone is confused or pokes fun, I don't get worked up about it. Anyhow, it helps your spelling and sentence structure when someone points out your mistakes.

Just because someone makes a funny out of your spelling doesn't mean they don't like you.

Heck, if they didn't like you they wouldn't even reply to your posts.

It is your choice, of course. However, remember that if you want to get your point across, spelling and grammar don't really matter unless we can't understand what you wrote. This post was difficult to decipher but we did manage.

There are several people on these boards who are dyslexic and have trouble with spelling and grammar. Most use spell check but if they don't, we can still figure it out. Maybe make the time to do that next time.

Bumper

I keep my horses on a dry lot, about 2 wooded acres and the mini in a corral, he's in an area that's about 30 feet by 50 feet.... I just don't have pasture available. I wish it did, but I can't make extra land with lots of grass just appear. lol Do I think it shortens their life... nope, I've got one 30 years old!

Don't let the smart alecks on here run you off.... some do tend to be kind of rude sometimes... but there are lots who are really nice and helpful!!