Sign in to follow this  
cripplecreekfrm

Is This A Good Opportunity Or Not Wwyd

I have a friend that had an absolutely wonderful APHA stallion (I think he is 6) that has never been bred. He is currently in TN with an event rider and competing either Novice or Training there. The person that has him cannot keep him anymore as she is getting married and says she is getting out of the horses. He has been transferred to NM for atleast a year maybe two and then he will be coming back to my area. He is trying not to ship him out there plus since he is working full time and going to chool full time (finishing his masters) he won't have much time to ride.

He wants him to compete and since he loves the eventing he wants him to continue that or even do some hunters. He offered him to me a couple of months ago but my place isn't set up for keeping stallions. I have 2 mares and jsut one big field and where I wold love to breed him to my TB mare I would never want to breed my WB mare. He came intown this week and has a new offer to me. He wants me to find a place to keep him close to me and he would pay the board. I could ride and compete him and even breed him and continue his training and when he moves back here his horse is already in the area. He also wants a baby out of my TB mare by this stallion.

What would you guys to in my suituation? Is this a good oppertunity for me to get a awesome horse to ride/show or should I pass. I have been mulling this over for a couple of days and want to get an outside opinion.

Sounds like an excellent opportunity to me!! There's just a few things you should consider...

For instance, do you have experience eventing? I wasn't really sure of your experience, so I had to ask. Also, riding a stallion is different from riding a gelding or mare because they are known for being slightly more rambunctious and if it's not something you've dealt with before it could become a problem. There is the occasional stallion that behaves just as well as any gelding, but there's no guarantee. However, if you're capable of handling him and you know what you're doing as far as competing goes, I don't see why it wouldn't be a great opportunity for you. And let's face it....there's nothing better than baby horses, so that would sweeten the deal quite a bit!!

Good luck with your decision and congrats on such a great opportunity!