Boocoo

Dressage Chit Chat #27

shilog-It may be good just to loosen up in the ring than. Just to get you and Lucy used to warming up near other horses. That is a bit of tight quaters to do any real work in with another person.

Tracey-Good luck at the show.

So I went on a two hour trail ride with a friend. Cheese and I are so out of shape. My friend was my barrel trainer so she likes to move out.So we unload the horses from the trailer and Cheese immediately get all up.We tack and get on. It felt like I was riding a keg of dynomite. She warmed up nice. Than the next hour was walk ot gallop. She did calm down ae some point and would trot and canter. She hasn't been out on a trail in over a year. Let alone with her old boyfriend(friend's arab stud) whom we always used to run with. So I knew I was asking for trouble.

At one point we are walking to leave the horses cool a bit. Cheese all of a sudden spooks and spins. I came off.There were a lot of down trees on the trail from the storms w had gotten. Cheese swore they were going to eat her. Cheese so did not want to get he feet wet. She was jumping every puddle. I feelslightly guilty. At the one puddle I wasn't ready for it and caught Cheese in the mouth.

On the way back to the trailer she started to slow down. I actually had to use leg at one point to get her moving. Poor mare hasn't been tired out like this for years.She got a nice rub down at home and has the next day or two off. Just going to go check on her and possibbly linament her if she is to stiff.

I'm hoping to start doing some schooling rides when she's not here so I have the arena to myself, and just working mainly on fitness when she is here. She's a really good friend, and we have always been able to share the arena in the past. I'm just feeling a bit claustrophobic I think because its so easy to just leave the arena :)

Boocoo, he's going to be big! You'll be happy with him. I know you can't wait to get him home!

I'm back from my epic tour of the Northwest.

Hit Washington (and my massively large family out there) Oregon, Idaho, and even Vancouver, Canadia.

I think I want to move to Coeur d'Alene, I totally fell in love with it. I'm not a southern girl, and my roots are out west, and I've been dying to go back for 10 years now. Plus Spokane seems to have some good dressage barns, in my quick internet search.

Frasier is gone, and I miss him. The owner emailed me that he's settled in and doing well.

Amore is getting some good simple changes and *finally* getting the balance of medium trots. I hope to get my new saddle in next week (thank Frasier for that one).

Riley is bored, but his 8 weeks is up next Friday, so I'll jog him soon.

I hopped on Bails, my sister's retired eventer bareback and in a halter to change pastures the other day, and he was acutally quiet! He has a bum stifle that's just a mess, but I saw him trot today and he was sound. Somedays he's gimpy. Walk and canter he is good. He was always very spooky, so we never thought of him as a trail horse or anything, but he was very quiet. And after well over a year without anyone on his back! Maybe I'll start hacking him around. It made him happy.

I've got pics from my trip if anyone wants to see them.

School started this week. Only 3 days a week, but they are up a 5am to feed, back from class at 11 pm days, so they are tough. But I can fit in a lot of riding. I set this schedule so I could do the big shows with Ri this fall. Ha. Ha.

Looking for a new project, and have been since June, but I have had no luck. So much for a buyer's market.

That's all. Not much fun here with Riley out and Frasier gone. They are my two best showmen.

Oh, fun contest on Dover. Vote for me? I'll vote for you!

http://www.doversaddleryphotocontest.com/p...tegory=Dressage

"Reach for it" the big chestnut with the medium trot and polos.

CSA, hope you are all right. What are Cheese's blood lines and what do you feed her, out of curiosity?

Shiloh, that sounds like a good plan. I am glad you are going to show. We are still waiting for wedding pics!!!

KTS, welcome back. Your trip sounds wonderful. I have some friends that used to live in Bonners Ferry, ID, north of Coeur d'Alene. Beautiful, beautiful country up there! I drove my old 1997 Power Stroke Diesel Ford pickup up there about 8 years ago, hauling my trailer, to pick up a couple of horses I had bought from her. I lived in Tucson at the time. We were going over the Bitter Root Mtns. from Montana into Idaho and my brakes went out on the truck! [shocked] :twitch: Thank God I had the trailer, seriously, I cranked the brakes all the way up, geared down as low as I could go and crawled off that Mtn. If anyone has ever been through there, it is a lot of steep, steep up and down grades with a lot of switchbacks! It was Memorial Day weekend so nobody was around to fix my truck, so we drove home through WA and Oregon the long way back into Utah. Not so many steep grades that way, but now with two horses and still no brakes. I swear we had an Angel riding on the hood of that truck with us. That was one scary trip! Nevertheless, it is very beautiful up there, but I could not handle those bitter cold winters with months and months of snow. You on the other hand are young, I say go for it!

Had a super nice ride on Beau tonight. I have been back to riding him a week now. I did the counter canter 3 loop serpentine tonight for the first time since I've been back on him and a couple of simple changes. Not to shabby, in fact I was quite pleased with him and after that our SI and LY were really nice. I can't wait till the 5th when I go for my first lesson with the new trainer.

Up late as I took a late nap this afternoon.

KTS, welcome back! I voted for your pic! I would have anyways, even if I didnt "know" you as I think its the best pic up! Glad you had a good trip. That really must stink about Frasier but at least hes at a great new home. Hopefully Riley will continue his road to recovery and Miss Amore will behave herself. And your schedule sounds exhausting. Good luck with that.

Boo, glad you are finally back on Beau again. I rode Layla for the first time today in 3.5-4 weeks. It was wonderful.

Like I posted, I have been reading. Everyone seems to be having good rides and getting back into the swing of things with school/work.

So yes, I finally rode Layla today. She felt awesome. She is def a little UP, which I think is her feeling better and having straight alfalfa to eat too.

She was "spooking" at the poles on the ground and the well pump house. LOL She NEVER spooks at anything. And really it was her getting all tall and puffed up and snorting at it. But she was FORWARD. I mean, whoa nelly. We were trying for some canter transitions and the canter itself was LOVELY *omg lovely* but the transition she was just like a rocket. I dont know how it looked but it felt abrupt at times.

The trot work was fabulous but I really have to hold with my core to keep her from getting unbalanced and falling onto her forehand. Right now she feels so good so she wants to go go go but she isnt strong enough, esp after almost a month off.

Oh and like 5 mins after getting on, the skies opened up and it poured for like 7-10 mins. We were already out and working though and I told Jill Id rather be wet and cool than hot and sweaty.

Baby horses wound continues to improve. Im sure hes totally over me messing with it but I have to hose it and place SWAT. I tried to get ahold of my vet to get the steroid cream but she had to go out of town on an emergancy trip for her sick father. So Im going to call another vet tomorrow.

Anyways, I need to go to bed. This whole time off thing has my sleep schedule messed way up.

KTS-Sounds like a nice trip. I hope Riley comes back ok from his time off/injury.

KTM-Look on the bright side of Rex's injury.He should be used to being poked,prodded, and handles it shouldn.y bother him in the future.

Boocoo-Not sure of her lines.Since she was sold at auction as rodeo rough stock the only people bidding on her were the meat buyers and my crazy friend. They hadn't planned on buying anything that day so they had to find someone to take her home and get a halter and lead on her, I was told that was interesting. When they got time to look for the owners they were gone.

Feed wise sher is on a 12-5-10 mix. She gets grass hay in her stall and is out on pasture 12 hours a day. Supplements she gets Fat Cat and I just started her on a mag. supplement.

I am feeling the trail ride today. Everthing seems stiff. So I think I will just clean tack today.

CSA, what does a 12.5.10 mix consist of? I wonder if they were using her for a rough stock horse before they sold her at auction? I bet she has a very interesting history. She is lucky she is with you now.

Krazy, glad you had a good ride.

Beau's ankle still has a pocket of fluid in the fetlock joint and on both sides of his tendon in the sheath. If I keep it wrapped it does not get swollen. I was doing a dmso/furazin sweat wrap, then switched to just sore no more. There have been a couple of times I have left the wrap off and the next morning the ankle is puffy again, like a wind puff. Very agravating as I have never had problems with him like this before! Argh! So guess I will just have to leave it wrapped for a very long time! I think I may take him back to the Vet. in another couple of weeks and have him drain the fluid out of those pockets.

Boocoo, how old is Beau?I know wind puffs creep up with age and use. I had a slight scare right before the trail ride. Cheese had some fluid build up in one leg/tendon. More than usual.She was totally sound though. I think it is time to invest in Equitight.

The feed is from a local feed mill. The tag just lists the protein-fat-fiber % ans ingredients(don't have a tag with me so I don't know the ingredients off the top of my head).It is a bit lower in fat than I like. However adding fat to Cheese's diet without making her hot is tricky. She could do a lower protein with a higher fat. I do prefer a 10-10-10 for Cheese. 12% protein is tricky. Depending on the company it sometimes makes Cheese hot and sometimes it doesn't.

I do think they at least tried Cheese as rough stock. I saw her first saddling. Trainer tightened the girth and Cheese went bucking. . Using spurs on her will get a few bucks as well. Plus the poor girl's neck is marked with some spur marks/scars from being spurred out.

Dobby ? I would definitely be ?unfriending? your neighbors. That is not cool. I think it is time to have a talk with your parents. Their ?friends? are using you.

Boocoo ? I board at a barn with a heated indoor arena, so the cold in the winter isn?t a huge issue for me!! Glad to hear you are finally back to riding Beau, and it is going so well. Lieto gives head hugs as well. He is still pretty infrequent about it, and I never know when to expect it, so it catches me by surprise when he does it. We are still developing our bond together though, so I have a feeling as we grow together, he will become more and more affectionate with me. That was a HUGE tree!! So glad it didn?t do any major damage coming down. When we bought our house, we had an 87 foot pine tree in the backyard. Jack INSISTED on having it cut down. Something about the pitch ruining the new roof, I can?t remember. At any rate, when we had it cut, the entire inside was dead and rotted!!! One good storm would have brought it down on either our house or our neighbor?s house. So glad we had it removed. You couldn?t tell from looking at it though. Your son is 6?1? as a freshman in high school??? OMG!! What are you feeding that child??? That is an insanely cute beagle!!! So glad to hear the new shoes are working so well for Beau. That is great news. I cannot believe those two colts are not related at all. They look like twins!!! Very cute!! I agree with you, I like the dependent personalities more ? they bond better and tend to be more willing, less questioning of the work you ask of them. That sounds like one very scary trailer drive with no brakes!! How odd that Beau is still stocking up like that after so long. Not like you leave him standing around in a stall all the time, and that is usually the cause. He gets plenty of movement and turnout time.

I always thought a dressage arena was definitely built for one!

Lieto would like to chime in to this with a hearty, ?HERE, HERE!!? and a hoof in the air!!! I swear the horse is claustrophobic. He goes beautifully when we are all alone in the ring, but put another horse in the ring, and the tension sets in. Apparently it is pretty normal for a youngster. He gets really tense and sucked back if he has to pass, or gets passed by, another horse ? even if there is a TON of room. We are working on this issue slowly adding in the number of horses he has to deal with at any one time in the ring. I would like to be able to show, and I am thinking ahead to the crowded warm up arenas. THAT is going to totally freak poor Lieto out totally.

ESD ? I used to hose off my horse on really hot days before I rode, too, and then endurance riders online told me that was bad, and I should stop doing that. It feels good, but apparently because you have cooled the horse off, you stop the horse from sweating which cools the horse internally as well as externally. So while you think you are doing a good thing, you really aren?t. You should just let them sweat naturally and cool their body that way, then when you are done riding, hose them off with cool water as quickly as possible to help lower their body temperature. Or at least I think that?s the jist of it. All I know is that I stopped hosing my horse before I ride on hot days!! Sounds like you had a fabulous lesson. I think this trainer is definitely a keeper for you and Echo.

Sylves ? Sorry to hear about the car issues. The higher mileage cars always seem to be one issue after another. Sounds like Jag is FEELING GOOD!! Better watch out that first ride back!! Little brat!!

Shiloh ? I hear you on canter issues with babies!! Very frustrating, though I think my problem is that I am just not RIDING the canter. I think I am being way too passive, and Lieto has now decided he doesn?t actually have to canter if he doesn?t want to. I need to just get after his lazy fuzzy butt and work him. Wow, glad to hear you managed to figure out a system to keep the neighbor kid out of the pastures because that was not a good situation at all. Definitely a disaster waiting to happen. A new dishwasher!! Nice!! Ohhh, a schooling show for Lucy is a great idea. It will give you a goal to keep your work focused. I tend to putter without a goal.

Tempi ? The market right now for buying property is really great. People are desperate to sell, and nothing is moving. If you are looking to buy, you could probably get a really great deal on something. You should start checking out foreclosure sales as well.

3Day ? Are there any barns in the area that are in her price range that you could suggest to her that she move the horse to that would work better for you??

Shantel ? Great pictures!! Sounds like you had a really nice, well deserved and much needed vacation. Glad to hear that both Layla and Rex are recovering well. Glad to hear your first ride back on Layla went so well. Sounds like she is REALLY feeling very, very good!! Silly girl. When they find something to spook at, they can be so silly about it.

Tracy ? GOOD LUCK in your show on Sunday!! Remember to breathe and have fun!!!

CSD ? Sounds like you had a VERY eventful trail ride on Cheese!! Sorry to hear you came off. Hope you are okay. I hope 3Day is able to help you find a new trainer. I know how difficult that can be. I?m currently working on reeling one in myself right now. HA!! Good grief, poor Cheese!! No wonder she is tense. Good thing she has you now.

KTS ? Glad to hear you had such a good trip. Of course we want to see the pictures. Silly question!!! I know you are missing Frasier. So hard to let one go. At least the new owner is keeping in touch. That makes it easier. Ouch, those are LONG school days, but I used to do that too, schedule my classes for only a couple of days a week so that I had the rest of the week free. Glad to hear you will be back on Riley soon. That will be good for both of you. Yeah, it?s a BUYER?S market. Just tell me WHERE!!! I spent 8 flipping months searching for my horse. Never did figure out where that buyer?s market was exactly. Good luck finding your next project. Just keep your eyes open, and something will come along eventually.

So remember the new barn kitty, well after barn kitty got his shots, the staff decided he was big enough to be set loose. ??? Really??? The next day, gone!! The barn staff are optimistic and feel the kitty found a new home. I am a realist and feel the kitty went and introduced himself to one of the resident coyotes, ?Hi, my name is Snack!? So . . . we got Snack #2 ? I mean, we got a new barn kitten.

barnkitty3.jpg

This one lasted ONE DAY!! Then no more. I went out on Wednesday night to ride and lo and behold we have Snack #3!!! Glad to see the barn has instituted a coyote feeding program. Anyone want to wager a bet on how long it is before the coyotes are sitting at the backdoor fighting over which one gets the next Snack??

barnkitty5.jpg

Moving on from Snacks to Big Gray Projects ? How tall is 17.2hh of scared baby horse?? Very tall, let me tell you!! I tried handwalking him out to our very scary outdoor arena one evening. Wow, scared horse grew and grew and GREW!! I thought he was going to turn and bolt for the barn, but he was good aside from trying to try to climb on top of me. Our outdoor is down a dirt road and next to a greenhouse that has MASSIVE fans that run nearly constantly. You can just see it in this picture. The greenhouses and fans are on the left side of the road, the fence line on the right side of the road is the ?C? side of our outdoor arena. You step off the dirt road and through the gap in the fence to enter the arena.

Outdoor1.jpg

After our evening excursion to the outdoor last Thursday, I was riding in the indoor last Saturday with one of the trainers. She had just finished up and invited me to go on a hack outside around the barn with her. I wasn?t done yet, but I couldn?t turn down the opportunity to have a babysitter walk us around outside. She took us straight to the outdoor, and Lieto was good as gold. Walked all around on a long rein with floopy ears. Could have cared less. He is so much better under saddle. The only thing he didn?t like/trust were the cavelletti. Those eat horses apparently. He would walk right up to them and sniff them, but NO WAY would he step over one, even at its lowest setting. Wouldn?t even follow the babysitter horse over one. We?ll have to work on that. At any rate, I feel like we accomplished a HUGE milestone riding in a very scary outdoor. Even Raz was spooky out there.

I think Lieto is going through some sort of an awkward growth spurt right now. He suddenly lost a bunch of weight ? like two girth holes ? and his balance is totally shot. He is all over the place all of a sudden. I am PRAYING he is growing out not, up!!! Whatever it is, he is just struggling recently. He has been much more willing to go forward though, so thankfully we seem to have worked that out, but now with the balance thing cropping up, I have had to take him back a little and shorten his stride to help him maintain his balance. Gotta have the balance first and foremost!! Once he has that, THEN we can push for more forward.

~Shelly~

CSA, Beau is 13, but he has always kind of had a bit poofy race ankles, but no wind puffs. This has only just begun since he strained that ankle a month ago and he still has those pockets of fluid. One in the fetlock joint and two in the tendon sheath, one on either side. He is fine as long as I keep them wrapped and as Smithereen pointed out, he is not stalled at all. He is out 24/7 and I have been riding him again, which really seems to help. I really think I need to get those fluid pockets drained. I can't put Beau on high fat either. He gets very hot. I feed him Purina Horse Chow 100 and free choice coastal hay. That's it. He does get a joing supplement, electrolytes and U-Guard which have helped with his girthyness and anxiousness.

Smithereens, a heated indoor sounds incredible! How lovely! Sounds like you and Lieto are starting to bond. Does he realize what a great home he landed in having you for an owner? My child has gotten so tall because he has lived on Pepperidge Farms Gold Fish Crackers all his life! I am convinced that is the trick. Now if I could just find something to help me shed some pounds! :confused0024: YOu can't tell some of these trees are dead, that is the scary part. I had no idea that oak was hollow inside and we have tons and tons and tons of trees on our property. Our beagle is the one we got from a rescue two years ago. He is adorable. I just love his personality. He is always such a happy dog and loves to snuggle. I think putting the trailers on the back shoes has really helped him. I had some really nice canter work last night and si and ly. He wasn't doing that throw up his head thing and fuss in the bridle. In fact, that seems to really be stopping since we have started his new shoeing regime. The other colt in those photos is sired by Widmark x Wolfgantz, I think it is? He is really nice and cute and what at trot, but I really am thrilled with Bobby. I think he is going to be a joy to work with. Will you be able to take Lieto to some schooling shows and not show him, just ride him in the warm up and help him get past his fears? He is too funny, spooking at the outdoor. Those green houses look pretty scary though and with the fans running, could be why horses are freaked out out there? That's great he went out with the other horse. He is going to turn out to be a super nice horse. I was out trail riding years ago and my little dog found something and had it in her mouth. When I had to get off to open a gate, I called her over and said "put that down" She spit out a cat head, complete with fur still on it!!! [shocked]

Just got back from the high school pep rally. What fun. The band was really good.

Man, you guys are chatty! Hahahaha!

KTS-Welcome back...I have had my eyes out for a project for a while too and I don't care for anything...oh well. I really don't need another horse.

Boo-Both things you have been using on Beau's leg are great, so hmmm. If he stay puffy for another week or so, I would think about having the vet check it out...Always hate another vet bill. Oh, if you can, will you PM the info on that other weanling colt?

Sylves-Hope you get to ride this weekend!

CSA-I am hoping to go for a trail ride tomorrow if the weather holds. Looks like we have a storm moving in pretty soon here...so things might be too wet.

Smithereens-Was Snack #3 there last night?

KTM-Welcome back and glad you are back to riding! We went to Disney on our honeymoon...which would be 7 years ago since my anniversary is Monday!

I had a wonderful lesson yesterday...he is really progressing and his canter is getting so strong. SI is good and working on HI. So he gets today off...the weather is yuck and I am doing some errands and stuff. Then the weather is supposed to be amazing the next few days. Monday is my anniversary and DH and I are going to the Columbus Zoo and out for some lunch. Ahg, storm moving in...I need to go put the boys in...

Tempi ? The market right now for buying property is really great. People are desperate to sell, and nothing is moving. If you are looking to buy, you could probably get a really great deal on something. You should start checking out foreclosure sales as well.

I know, I seriously want to look at the moment, but right now we're playing it safe. I need to secure better credit (I have good credit, he has great credit), and I need to resolve the truck thing out first.

UGH! Speaking of, I hate truck shopping. I found two that I really like, but the bank is waffling on the loan stuff due to tight market conditions.

So no riding, no horsey anything, just at home misery.

Beckham, your right, I think another trip to the Vet. will be in order. He kind of thought he would have to drain those pockets when I was there last. Oh, I sent you a PM!!!

Off to take son to Jiu Jitsu and celebrating it's FRIDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tempi, I'm sorry to read that you're facing some challenging times. Doesn't sound like fun. I hope things start looking up for you.

Smithereens, awh, the poor kitties won't stick around. We have a whole army of farm cats that live in Grandma's detatched garage. We made a little kitty castle out of stacked hay for them. They stick around and generally live long happy lives. One of the cats was on the farm for 18 years. He died last summer- poor old guy. Grandma found him as a wild tom cat. She had him fixed, and he ended up being a sweet guy. Apollo was his name. The other kitties get names like "grey kitty, momma kitty (there's one that we can't catch to have her fixed), yellow kitty, black kitty" and then there's "Couger." Couger is the ONLY one that keeps our mouse population down. He's a great cat to have on the farm! It sounds like it's an adventure everytime you ride your new guy, lol! I hope things keep getting easier for both of you.

KTS, So glad you had a fun get away in the NW. My dad lives in Olympia, so we go up there periodically. I love that part of the country.

CSA, I'm glad you didn't get hurt on that ride. I'm more of a w/t type of gal. I'm not up for gallopes anymore, especially on Jag. I've tried it once on him, and he just got faster and faster- like a race horse, I suppose. It would be nice if I could get a steady 400 mpm out of him, but I'm not sure we'll ever get to that point, especially with my lack of confidence. I'll stick to dressage, lol!

We just got word that the Subaru does NOT actually need new head gaskets quite yet, and the timing belt has a couple more miles on it before it needs to be changed. So, it looks like all we'll have to pay for is the CV Boot, whatever that is. The bill will be much less than we expected! Yey! We'll pick the car up tomorrow.

I finally got a decent ride last night on Jag, granted I only walked with him. I had to lunge him (with side reins) longer than I would had liked, but I was convinced that he needed it to warm up his back. It felt SOOOO good to be up on his back. He was steady and forward, not wanting to rear like the last time I attempted to ride. I hate to continue the lunging because of the hocks, but I'm convinced that to get a half way decent ride on him, he requires the work in the side reins to warm up his back before I get on. I'm figuring out that he is VERY cold backed.

I pulled out the finger paint for Miss Shannon! We have paint everywhere. Brave me! lol.

Have a great weekend everyone! Good luck at the show, Tracy. Wish I could join ya! Keeping my fingers crossed that I can ride tonight, tomorrow and Sunday!

CSA, have you tried a low-starch diet for Cheese? Or even a grain-free diet? Lucy is much more calm now that she's only getting alfalfa cubes and rice bran. On Strategy she all but lost her mind! I would bet that local-mill feed is pretty high in sugars, that's why I mentioned trying to cut that back. Some horses just get insane on too much sugar.

No riding today. I mowed the pasture, and I got a bit carried away. By the time I finished, it was almost dark. I also managed to strand the mower in my yard (belong to the in-laws). Stinkin thing has to be jumped to start, and I ran over something that killed the motor. So now its kinda stranded in the yard for the evening. Oh well. At least my pastures are almost totally mowed!

Sylves, glad you finally got to ride Jag. Fingerpainting is a blast, but my favorite thing is coloring books!! :grin:

CSA, I agree with Shiloh, that's why I started asking you about what your horse is being fed??? I have to be very careful what I feed Beau as well. He has a super high metabolism and gets high as a kite on high fat feeds and too much grain. He also gets hot on Strategy, but not as bad as say, Purina Ultium or something like that. He does pretty good on alfalfa pellets as well, but for him I find the Horse Chow 100 seems to work the best and that combined with the U-Gard powder. He is also getting a little older now and finally realizing we are not going to go run helter skelter all over the place. That only took him 5 years to figure out. Not bad, eh? :happy0203: I like a hot energetic horse, but not a crazy insane one!

Went to the grocery store and the people in front of me in the check out line's debit card was declined. I felt so bad for them, they had their little baby with them and were so embarassed. If I were loaded I'd have bought their groceries for them. But they did have a pretty large bill going there!! Just goes to show you how hard folks are being hit right now. Then I found out today that my mortgage company went bankrupt! :twitch: Now then, we already received a letter, about a week ago from a new loan company saying they now had our loan, but............ my Aug. payment still had not cleared the bank? I had just thought it was something to do with the loan being sold and it had not all caught up yet. Anyway, I saw on the internet today that my previous mrtg. company had been shut down by the feds and then they filed bankruptcy!! So where's my Aug. payment? I promptly stopped payment on it, called the new mrtg. company and did payment over the phone, no fees and no late fees will be applied, due to this huge mess! Oie ve'! Talk about having a heart attack!!! And the previous lender was like the 12th largest in the U.S.

Edited by Boocoo

Boocoo-The economy is scary. I am glad you got things straightened out with your payment.

Shiloh&Boocoo-Cheese is actually worse on other feeds. There is another local mill's feed she can not have. She just gets way to hot on it. She won't touch rice bran. Alfafa is a good idea but than I worry about the calcium/phosphorus balance. I think the trail ride was more the fact it was a place we used to run at with a horse we used to run with. She would walk when asked to cool off. No jigging. So the training was there. Cheese used to be a real bad trail jigge

Sylves-Have you looked at the Color Wonder stuff? They do have a finger paint.It can get a little pricey having to buy the paper all the time. My niece went through an artist faze and my sister loved the Color Wonder stuff. Yes you are brave messing with the finger paints.

I didn't want to gallop that much. I do enjoy streching Cheese every now and than. I don't think anything can compare to galloping on a horse bareback. Cheese decided it was fun and canter went out the window. Here ears were pricked forward the whole time. She needs to learn neither one of us is as young as we used to be,,

amithereenn-I could see how the greenhouses could be scary. Cavaletti? Silly Lietto. That is a shame about the kittens. They are so cute. Hopefully one stays close to the narn and doesn't end up being a snack.

So my old trainer finally got in contact with me. I know I need to move on from her. I need some one more realiable.. However it is tenpting to get some lessons from until I find the right trainer for Cheese and I. Some one slap me.

Tempi, I'm sorry to read that you're facing some challenging times. Doesn't sound like fun. I hope things start looking up for you.

It's not that my credit score isn't bad (it' upper 600's) it's just the market is tight and harder than usual to acquire a loan on a used truck.

Tempi, haha, you could get an old farm pickup like we got! Lol, with taxes, reg, etc, we only paid $4200. We have the loan down to $600! I'm so so so looking forward to get that thing paid off. The truck runs and pulls great! Are you attempting to buy something new? Private treaty, used is our favorite way to go.

Boocoo, That would scare the you-know-what outta me!!! Thankfully you were right on top of it! We have all of our accounts with a local bank, with the exception of my accounts with USAA. Yeah, we don't get the best rates, but ... we like our local bank!

CSA, have you noticed any improvement with the magnesium supplement? Would you consider lunging in side reins before some of your rides? Might warm up the back and get rid of some of Cheese's extra energy so that she'll be ready for work with you. As for your trainer, I don't see why it should be an issue if you ride with her until you find someone new, as long as you're upfront about what you're doing. I guess if it's uncomfortable for you and/or her, than that's an issue... I wish you the best in deciding what to do.

Well, I didn't get to ride last night, but I did lunge him. He's looking pretty good! I plan to head out to the barn after I'm done with the computer this evening. It has been a GOREOUS day- maxed out at 70 degrees, sunshine, a few clouds, and a nice breeze! The kids are turned out. Jag can be sometimes difficult to catch when he's out on grass and when the bugs aren't bugging him too bad... Could be a couple while before I actually get to catch him! My only saving grace is that Jade comes right up to me, so if I walk her back to the barn, Jag gets all huffy and puffy, and he want's to come with us... but then he's STILL difficult to catch, little stinker!

Okay, off to finish up my computer time, and HEAD TO THE BARN! Happy Saturday everyone!

Ick!! That bridle is awful!! Not to mention, the white is just a paint, and in not long that bridle will not be white.

I rode Lucy today and she was wonderful. We got a really nice lengthened trot and canter, but only on the right lead. After than lengthen, and then she came back to me to make a nice short side, I let her quit. It was her bad lead too, so even more impressive that she put in the effort. We did have to have a bit of an argument about the leg yield (which, as the name implies, means YIELD to the leg, not ignore the leg). But we now have our nice fluid leg yield back. I haven't worked on that in a long time because we have been doing much more second-level stuff.

I'm considering just doing first 4 at that show though. She's really not as fit as I would like, and I'm afraid she will struggle with a warmup and two tests. It's only 4 weeks away, and I have 2.5 weeks to decide.

Yeah CSA, ditto to Sylves suggestions.

Shiloh, first 4 sounds like a plan. I have gone to doing just one test at shows and it really is much better for both me and Beau.

Went to watch a polo match tonight. It was very entertaining, never in all my 33 years of horses have I ever seen people post at the canter!! Why do they do that? My son said, Mom you could do that with Beau. I said, well first of all I couldn't reach the ball, he's too big and 2ndly, I think I'd slip off trying! [ROTFL] Anyway, it was fun and we plan to go watch again!

Sylves-That bridle is ugly.Although if it wasn't painted it would go nice with the white all pupose saddle I saw before. Hope you had a good ride. Silly Jag.

KTM-I feel you pain.

Boocoo-A friend and I used to play "polo". We used the big balls you get at stores and golf clubs. Only way we could hit a ball and not fall off.

I was suppose to do a small hunt show today. Well I tried to ride yesterday and my back said no. It feels ok now so I will try to go ride again today. Back to work on Tuesday. I am not looking forward to that.

I can get away with using side reins at home but not off the oroperty. Cheese will fight and brace against them.So if she is really bad at a show I will just lunge her.

Tempi, haha, you could get an old farm pickup like we got! Lol, with taxes, reg, etc, we only paid $4200. We have the loan down to $600! I'm so so so looking forward to get that thing paid off. The truck runs and pulls great! Are you attempting to buy something new? Private treaty, used is our favorite way to go.

Semi-new. It's an 01 F250 V10. It's purdy.

I generally never buy new. I don't like spending money on something that depreciates immediately when you drive it off the lot.

Oh my gosh... we went riding this morning - did 2 miles of trotting - basically 20 mins straight. Layla was trucking. At first it was too over tempo but then she settled into a lovely trot. It was like 90 degrees and God know what with the humidity. All I know is at the end, we (me, Layla, Sarah, Ben, Jill, and Mingo) were all exhausted!

I took a nap and Im still tired and the muscles are doing that shakey thing when you over work them. Oy vey. I think they just earned 1-2 days off!

Washing my scrubs to prepare for returning to work. Blech. Vacation never lasts long enough. Too bad you dont get paid to not work.

Gotta go feed and finish my clothes.

Ummm ummm, maybe it's the racetracker in me, but I rather like it. . . . *runs for cover.* It would look so snazzy on a chestnut with white. Or. . . polocrosse! I knew a girl that campaigned a palomino, and she had white reins and white bridle. It looked amazing!!

I love white tack: http://www.outdoorphoto.co.za/forum/photop...4/Racehorse.jpg

Pretty awesome, eh?

Sooo, might go look at a young TB this week. Dark grey, 4, VERY quiet apparently, and can't beat the price.

From conformation pic, he seems to have a long back- any input on that for lower level dressage? It's weaker I know, but I'm looking at him for an event prospect, so I doubt he'll do collection anytime soon. He seems to have no problem tracking up.

Ummm ummm, maybe it's the racetracker in me, but I rather like it. . . . *runs for cover.* It would look so snazzy on a chestnut with white. Or. . . polocrosse! I knew a girl that campaigned a palomino, and she had white reins and white bridle. It looked amazing!!

I love white tack: http://www.outdoorphoto.co.za/forum/photop...4/Racehorse.jpg

Pretty awesome, eh?

Sooo, might go look at a young TB this week. Dark grey, 4, VERY quiet apparently, and can't beat the price.

From conformation pic, he seems to have a long back- any input on that for lower level dressage? It's weaker I know, but I'm looking at him for an event prospect, so I doubt he'll do collection anytime soon. He seems to have no problem tracking up.

Just got to look at the headstall, it isn't bad. I've seen weirder fashions come and go. But that isn't too bad. However, it does seem like they put whiteout or liquid paper over the leather.

Most TB's from what I've seen change dramatically from four/five years old to eight. I saw Big Brown in May when he was finishing coming down, he was weedy with a long back and didn't think much of him then. Saw him go... about three weeks ago, and holy cow.

The eventing field has changed dramatically now as well. A horse HAS to be competitive in dressage, especially at the lower levels. Most upper level ones can be competitive at 4th. So the ability to collect is needed.

A long back now is probably only going to look longer in a couple years though. The back and neck are the last things that finish growing on a young horse. The up side is that he will have more scope as a jumper, btu the down side is that the back is weaker. It doesn't necessarily indicate that they will have trouble with collection though. It really depends on how he uses his hind end, and where the stifle joint is in relation to the elbow. You want him to break over with the hind cannon bone as close to vertical as possible (so not pushing the hind legs out behind), and you want the stifle joint to be lower than the elbow. And of course take note of the shape of the neck on the parents. With a still-growing horse, his neck will change. But if the parents have a low-set neck, or a straight or upside down neck, then chances are he will too.

Just my two cents on looking at young horses.

I had a really great ride on Lucy today, though she was a bit like riding a freight train in the canter. I've never had that much power from her before, but it wasn't directed up. She wasn't running, just very strong. I was shocked that I got her back after a lengthen down the long side. Her leg yields have improved a ton after our discussion too. Much more like her old self. I think that first 3 and 4 should be a piece of cake as long as I can handle the movements coming up that fast. My poor little brain is a bit slow :)

Had a great ride on Beau this evening. Even went back to attempting half pass at the walk. He did it nicely to the right and got a bit worried to the left. He did do and I only asked for a couple of steps and stopped. Everything else was quite nice. He is really coming together with this last shoeing job. Imagine what he'll be like after a year?

So has anyone else ever watched a polo match? One thing I observed was when they weren't playing and were cantering their horses back to their trailers to switch horses, or they were cantering back out onto the field, they would post at the canter. I have never seen anyone post at the canter in all my 33+ years of horses. It was a bit odd to see, but they were good at it! :confused0024: