Boocoo

Dressage Chit Chat #27

Boocoo, I've seen the posting at the canter manuever, and I've even tried it myself (after watching a polo match). I don't know why they do it. Glad you had a good ride- half pass n' all!

KTS, yey, eventing!!! My guy had a very long neck and back- full TB. Now, perhaps it was a bad fitting saddle, my ineffective chair seat or his weak loins, or a combo of everything, but I struggled with lengthenings and mediums. As for Novice/Training level eventing, he kicked butt in the dressage phase, was steady for the xc phase, but took down a rail or two in the stadium phase. In the end, as we were gearing up for prelim, he started having issues with his lower back and stifles. We never did make it to prelim before I had to sell him, but God Almighty he was winning Training level left and right- Area II! Dee was an easy horse to ride. His long back made for a smooth, rhythemic tempo. Other than the issue of getting strung out during stadium, he'd make the perfect equitation mount.

Droppedatfenceinstadium.jpg

AreaIINoviceChamps.jpg

Edited by Sylves

A lot of jumper riders post the canter, esp in the larger classes. Ive posted the canter before just to do it but that was when I was jumping. Ive never watched polo but it seems like fun. The riders LOVE their horses. My farrier had another farrier with him last month and he was traveling with the polo teams from the south and north. He worked on the polo ponies that died down south a few months ago. He said that the polo riders are very dedicated to their horses.

Got the ponies fed and turned out. Rex's summer sore is looking better and better. I hosed it tonight and it had a thin crusty scab on it but as soon as I went to get the dirt off of it, it came off. Which is ok. It is very pink and soft under the scab but it doesnt have any pus or foul odor.

Im still waiting for my vet to get me the ivermectin and dex mixture. Should get that tomorrow I hope. I have been rubbing regular paste ivermectin on it and then putting the SWAT on it.

I took a crappy pic with my cell but you can get the idea. It is amazing at how quickly it is healing. This coming Wednesday it will be 2 weeks since the surgery. Oh and it looks gooey because of the wormer and SWAT.

rexbooboo8-30.jpg

He got another all over grooming yesterday and then "lunged" for 10 mins. Hes such a smart and easy going horse. He already knows how to trot off with just a voice cue and is getting better about the walk. Then we cantered 1 circle. I am using the fence to help guide him. I couldnt do it to the right because the area where I needed the fence was too wet but to the left I had a good area. He kept wanting to break at the trot 3/4 around the circle. But 3rd time was a charm and he did a total circle and that was it. He was wearing my lungeing cavesson and surcingle. It has been like 2.5 months since Ive put any of that stuff on him and he just comes out like hes been doing it every day. I loff him so.

Anyways, gotta get ready for bed. Work tomorrow and first thing is a root canal.... YAWN BORING! I hate root canals... I just sit there and suck spit basically and try not to fall asleep. ugh.

I rode Jag this afternoon. Wow, it was gorgeous outside for riding- seriously, upper 60's, sunshine, light breeze. Couldn't had asked for better!

Chad helped me out today. He hopped on for a little bit (he looked REALLY good on Jag's back!) just to get an idea of the challenges I'm facing. At the end of the ride, we decided that Jag needs to learn down transitions again. It's back to w/t/w/t/w/t etc, etc etc! No more 20 m circles, for crying out loud! He needs figure 8's, serpentines, half circle n' changes, spirils, etc!

We'll get there! The injections are God-send.

Shantel, the posting the polo riders do is very different from the jumper riders. Its a much more deliberate post, whereas the jumper riders I have seen are more in a two point that allows the horse to move under them. The polo posting is a slower thing that is not in any way easy to figure out. I tried it once and just could not get the hang of it. I know why they do it though! Polo ponies are the most crooked things I have ever ridden. They tend to be miserable to sit.

Sylves, when did Jag get his hocks done? I must have missed that.

This is the posting of the canter I am refering to:

http://equisvideo.com/winnerscircle/index25.html

I havent really taken notice to polo riders - is this similar?

Its a great tool to help regulate the horses canter stride, just like posting the trot. I would imagine the polo riders do it for a similar reason so they stay out of the horses mouth.

Yep, that's it, the part right at the start of the video. Though from what I have been told, the polo peeps don't use it to keep out of the horse's mouth. And in watching them ride, they certainly have no issues being in the horse's mouth. Its more done to make the canter more comfortable. Same reason a lot of casual riders post the trot, because its too rough or they are not secure enough to sit it. That's what the polo people I knew told me anyway.

As for that video, you could not PAY me to get on that horse! Holy hot horse batman! Lovely jumper though.

Yes, Shantel, that is how they were doing it. Only difference is............ seems like they sat more beats than that jumper rider did. Seemed like the would sit 4 beat, then post. I have never seen a jumper rider post the canter before until tha video you posted, and I have watched jumping all my life??????? Very interesting. I agree with Shantel, while polo riders may love their horses, they are constantly in their mouth. With a game like that, it would be hard not to be. It's certainly not about equitation! It was fun and I am thinking of some horses I have owned in the past that would have been really good at it. Beau is way to big and I am way to old now though!!!!!!!! [ROTFL]

Sylves, glad you got to ride Jag and see Chad ride him. It's always cool to see someone else ride your horse.

I have my first lesson since July 14th this Sat. And it will be with a new trainer! I think I mentioned somewhere that I did go to audit her teaching and she also rode the students horses, at their request. Lovely rider and excellent instructor. She is a USDF Gold medalist and an L judge. Her place was very peaceful and quiet and she has a lovely regulation size dressage court with mirrors, so I think Beau and I will enjoy it out there. I am looking forward to it. I plan on showing 2nd level test one in Nov. at a schooling show. It is a formal show though. We braid, wear jackets and have an S judge. In fact, she is one of the judges from my show back in July. So I probably won't score very good, but she will give me some great feedback. She is really tough!!

Hey Shiloh, Jag had his hocks injected about two weeks ago- pure cortisone. Should last for a month or so. I plan to follow up with a IV of Legend to get us through the rest of the Fall.

Sylves, I am curious here because I know next to nothing of hock injections. Why did you opt for cortisone instead of HA?

Have any of you seen the post on COTH or Fugly about the gelding Two Socks whose hoof literally fell off and the internal structures collapsed to the point that he is walking on his pastern bone? The "rescue" is trying to save him. He got there in May as a plump and shiney horse, and is now a rack of bones with no hoof whose boney column in the left front has literally fallen apart. And they lead him around to take pictures in this condition. Owner of the rescue also happens to be involved with animal control in that county.

Have any of you seen the post on COTH or Fugly about the gelding Two Socks whose hoof literally fell off and the internal structures collapsed to the point that he is walking on his pastern bone? The "rescue" is trying to save him. He got there in May as a plump and shiney horse, and is now a rack of bones with no hoof whose boney column in the left front has literally fallen apart. And they lead him around to take pictures in this condition. Owner of the rescue also happens to be involved with animal control in that county.

That is horrifying.

Shiloh, my vet said that in Jag's case, with bone spavins, where we want the bones to eventually fuse, we want to use cortisone. The cortisone helps speed the fusing process, where as HA helps to restore orginial health of the hocks. Fusion is a easier and cheaper path to go for bone spavins. Once fusion is complete, your horse is apparently back to normal- regular mobility and comfort. At least, that is the way I understood what the vet was telling me.

Sylves, the part I haven't understood about Two Socks is what caused his deterioration, and I haven't been able to read the whole threads. Do you know what caused him to get to that condition? at a RESCUE? when he looked great when he arrived there? It makes me sick to my stomach to see that.

Also, regarding Jag's hocks, I did a quick google about fusion in hocks because I'm not very familiar with it, and found this article which might be helpful for you to read? Overall, it sounds very optimistic.

I've been absolutely swamped since I got back from my trip so I haven't been able to read everybody's posts. I hope to get caught up later this week. In the meantime, I hope everybody has a fabulous week!!!

My horses are trying to kill me. I swear it.

It started with Rex slicing his cheek and needing stitches.

At that appt, I ask vet to look at sore on belly. No real problem, keep an eye on it.

Two weeks later, it presents as pythiosis. Now he needs to have it surgically removed.

At the same time, Layla starts to show the effects of her hock issues and that she needs her hocks injected again.

Rex gets his belly sore cut out and Layla get the injections.

Finally everything was calming down.

Until tonight when I go to feed and Laylas left eye is swollen like Rocky Balboa.

So I look and dont SEE anything but if its an ulceration I probably wont be able to. So I admin banamine and call my vet back (for the 2nd time tonight, as I was talking to her 45 mins before regarding the cream for Rex's sore) and let her know what is going on and I will give more banamine in the AM and see if her eye is still swollen. If it is, she recommends coming out. I dont want this to blow up into a bigger deal and then have her needing a lavage or anything.

Oy vey.

On top of that, today was the first day back at work and Boss was in a chitty mood all day being nasty and all. Yay for me.

On a good note, Rex's sore is healing nicely.

Oh and I am ONCE AGAIN tweaking my feeding program. Im new at this and am still learning.

I was talking to a board member on COTH who is very well known for her rehabbing show horses and rescues (horses that are over worked and stressed and not eating and have behavioral issues) and a few comments she made regarding hard keeping TBs caught my eye. So after seeing the proof in her horses, I am trying out a few things. I am cutting back on the oats and upping the ration balancer with Layla. Im going to also buy Tri Amino instead of just lysine (which Ive been thinking of for a year), feeding as much alfalfa as Layla can stand (and my wallet) and making sure her volume per feeding is no more than 5.5lbs.

With Rex, Im upping the RB and the oats and giving him more alfalfa. I already know my Ca:Ph ratio is spot on even with more alfalfa so I dont have to worry about that.

Oh and that whole Two Socks thing is DISGUSTING. I have been following the thread since it started. I really hope they get that poor horse some relief (IE: let him cross the bridge with dignity!)

Sylves, did your vet mention why they felt the steroid would only last 1 month? Also, my sports med vet has done a lot of research and what not with Legend and Adequan. Were you aware that Legend only stays in the body for 2-7 days? Its great to give before a big show or clinic but its overall lasting effects arent really felt as its a more acute thing. Adequan does stay in the body longer and has longer lasting effects.

Here are his pages about the two.. really interesting reading.

http://www.ctrdvm.com/html/medications_legend.html

http://www.ctrdvm.com/html/medications_adequan.html

I know a shot of Legend is around $100 a pop - def can add up quickly.

Layla has a bone spavin on her right hock. Her left one is just normal changes. The right one is the one that is a tad shorter in her stride than the left due to the changes going on there. It is because of her right hock that her left stifle is stressed because she over uses her left stifle to take stress off of her right hock.

Anyways, heres a crappy cell pic of Laylas eyelid. I drew arrows to highlight the areas are that super puffy.

0831092021.jpg

Poor poney pones.

Poor Layla! And poor Shantel's wallet!!

As for Two Socks, nothing has been said about what caused his hoof to fall off, but the condition loss happened before the hoof issue. All of the horses pictured at that "rescue" are thin and scraggly, some look worse than when they arrived. He looks to be the most dramatic. It is just sad all the way around. Given that he is walking on his pastern bone, there is really no hope for survival short of amputation and a prosthetic (which is insanely expensive for a rescue that apparently cannot afford to feed the horses).

The Germans just found a baby mocassin on the back porch.

Heard the warning bark and we got them in and step dad killed it.

Gotta love Florida.

I couldn't take it with all of those snakes! It's bad enough in the Spring when we have gardener snakes (little ones) all over the kid's soccer field at school! The kids want to pick them up, but I insist that they "herd" the snakes back into the fields/farm ground. Yuck! They're everywhere! Poisonous ones on top of that- I couldn't sleep at night, lol!

Thanks so much for the articles! I don't have time right now to read them, but I sure will get to it on Wednesday when I have a day off :-) Yes, Shantel, the vet said that the cortisone should last between four to eight weeks. I've also been told by others that the Legend IV lasts only a week, at best, but for some reason my vet is convinced that it'll last longer. Last time Jag had Legend, the effects only seemed to last a week. Our vet charged us $70 for the Legend. I'll definitely talk it over with the vet again before setting anything in stone.

Ah, poverty is owning horses! Wouldn't you all agree? Shantel, I hope Ms. Layla's eye is back to normal in the morning. Probably just a bee sting? Ouch- nasty spot for a bee to sting someone!

Off to bed. I need to make a better attempt at going to bed earlier than this!

I managed to get the video off the camera and onto the computer in a form that I can share. But Youtube is taking *forever* to get the first test uploaded. I probably won't get links to video up until sometime tomorrow. I may go to be while test 3 uploads, and upload test four in the morning!

Short version -- Fessor was a rock star. We probably needed a bit more forward, but he was mostly relaxed. We scored 69.41% and 67.41%. I need to ask for and allow more in the lengthenings and to keep his haunches on the track in the canter lengthening. The high point was an 8 on our stretchy trot circle (hard for us, we generally struggle to get a 6) and good work turning onto the centerlines. When video finally gets up, I will post a link. Oh, and I need to open my shoulder instead of rounding them!

Tracy

Tracey-Great job.I can't wait for the video. Did you end up jumping at the show? This is the show you were thinking about doing a jumper class, right?

Sylves-I hope you get Jag figured out. Luckily I have no experience wit joit soundness.Knock on wood.

KTM-Ewwwww. Snakes are so not my thing.It is just one more reason for me to stay away from Florida. I think you need to bubble wrap your horses and put them in padded stalls. You are having no good luck.

ES-I hear you about going back to work after vacation. I am dreading tonight.

Boocoo-How is Mr.Beau doing? Did you get the liquid drained?

3Day-How is school doing?

I got to ride Sunday. Canter was still a bit painful . So we skipped canter work for the day.My back was tight the whole ride so I didn't expect much. Monday I had a lesson with a new trainer. Good for position but would not go well with Cheese. I kept hearing "This is how all the horses here are trained." Sorry I like a trainer who can be flexible with training.The horse was just heavy in the hands. In the horse's defense is is a hunter. It is the first horse that everyone gets on. I kept looking for the light in the hands feel. It just never came. Another red flag was when we were discussing eventing jump heights. She swore they were 2'6 for Novice and 2'9 for Training. I was like"I think Novice is now 2'9." Her answer"Not it is not. I have the book."I can't stand the trainer is always right additude. The trainer was really good with position though.

After the lesson I went to ride Cheese. I took the contact up to much For Cheese's liking. So we fought the first 15 min. I lightened up the contsct a bit and focused on bending and suppling her. She did awesomw. We had some really nice trot serpentines. She had some really good down wards. So we called it a day.

Forgot to add Monday's ride was really good for one reason. There was a barrel pattern set up in the ring and they were mowing the field near the ring. So Cheesewas ditracted a little but did an awesome job. Very proid of her trotting around/near the barrels without trying to go faster.

Our cat like pretzels. The hard sourdough kind. I am sitting here eating one and the cat comes up and starts sniffing. I figure he shouldn't eat it. So I break off a small piece for him. Well he ate it and is looking for more. Stange cat.

Yep, we all have our share of Vet. bills, don't we.

I have seen some posts on the other board about my colts sire and seems a lot of folks in our vast country are very impressed with him, including a prominent breeder that breeds outreageous horses. She said his sire is always on her list of great stallions. Now I am getting even more excited to get him home.

CSA, I am going to give Beau a little while longer before I take him to the Vet. I am starting back with my lessons this weekend and want to see how he progresses first. I know I had a mare with fluid on her tendons once and it took 3 months of walking and sweating to get the fluid to completely go away. Vet. said that is not unusual and Beau is sound and working very well for now. So just kind of playing it by ear.

I have been power walking and stretching and working out for a while now. So last night took son to his class and dh could not pick him up. So I went over to the high school to walk the track instead of going all the way home. I walked a lap, then jogged a 1/4 of a lap, walk 3/4, jog 1/4, walk 3/4 and then walk the last lap. When I was jogging I thought I was going to die, [ROTFL] and I thought I had good cardio! Ha! So must keep it up, watch calories that I eat and must get weight off by the time I am riding Bobby! oie ve', the older you get, the harder it gets and I am no spring chicken!!! On a good note, I am not sore this a.m.! yet...............

OK, I got the video up. I posted links on another topic. I ended up not jumping at this show. Eli tweaked something in his back or shoulder last week after we had some rain. He sees the chiro today, but we weren't going to jump Eli while he was visibly sore.

Tracy

Boocoo ? Another U-guard fan!! Love that stuff. Great supplement, and reasonably priced. Heel support in the shoes is really key. It affects so much of how the leg and back feel/operate. Raz would get lower back pain in regular front shoes, but be fine if I put eggbars on him in front. He just needed a touch extra support across the heel. I pulled Lieto?s shoes, and it has been hard watching them grow out. The trimmer warned me that when the nail holes started to grow out, he would get a lot of breakage, and we would just have to get him past that, then he would be fine. We are right in the midst of that now, so it is looking a little rough, but once he grows past that, he should be fine. Yes, I am going to try to get Lieto out. I have a clinic planned for mid-October, so that will get him out in a non-crowded setting first. Then I will take him to some local schooling shows just to school and not show so he can ?see? without any pressure or stress. The greenhouse fans are AMAZINGLY loud, and scare a good majority of the horses. The turn on and off without warning and sound like a jet engine taking off right next to you. Ewww!! Isn?t it amazing what dogs will find and bring back to you?!?! What a disaster with your mortgage company. Glad you were able to get your August payment handled. I used to hot walk polo ponies all the time when I was a teen. Can?t say as I remember seeing them post the canter though. Just remember trying to walk 8 ponies at a time!!! I was watching a horse special on Nature a week or so ago, and there was a segment on polo. They were breaking and starting a 3yo polo pony ? in a GAG bit!!! I about died. I know they ride in the gag bit, but start them in it, too??? Ugghh!!! Glad to hear you are giving 2-1 a shot in November. I think that is a great idea. It will give you a great point of reference for what you really have nailed down, and what needs a little more work this winter so that you can come out nice and strong for the show season next spring. That?s what I did, a schooling show in the fall, worked on the weaknesses all winter, and we were good to go in the spring. You and Beau have been working really hard. Time to get out there and see what you have!

Beckham ? Snack #3 was alive and well as of Saturday!! They still have him/her (?) locked up in the viewing room. Not sure how long that will last, but once Snack #3 is freed . . . !!!

Tempi ? If/when you buy, will you stay in the KY area, or will you move to another part of the country??

Sylves ? That is great news that the Subaru will be less than expected to repair. Not often you get news like that!! Glad to hear you had a great ride on Jag. As for the lunging, have you ever thought about long lining instead of lunging?? That?s what I do with Lieto. He tries to test and refuse to go out on the lunge, so I long line instead. I picked up an inexpensive surcingle, and I put it on over my saddle, attach my side reins to it, and then I long line. The benefit is that I can walk with him and stay close to him to keep him controlled and focused, yet I can make the ?circle? bigger to cut down on the stress to his joints. If he starts to get silly, I can turn him into a smaller circle, then resume the larger circle. BTW, when I put the surcingle over my saddle, the girth that came with it was too short so I just used a regular long girth from my all purpose saddle, and that worked fine. Great pictures!!! I have never heard of using cortisone to help fuse a horse?s hocks. And if you are going to inject to help them, why not do HA over Legend?? It will last months as opposed to days?? This really isn?t making a lot of sense, and I spent a lot of time with hock injections with Razzle. Once the hock fuses, you lose mobility because the hock has fused. The horse just won?t be in pain anymore.

Shiloh ? Four weeks should be plenty of time to strengthen and condition Lucy for two tests. Does she need a lot of warm up time before a test?? Glad to hear she is doing so well again. That is great news. I always find that when I do the first test I never quite ride up to my full potential, then I go back into the ring the second time and ?fix? the things I didn?t get right the first time around. It is like my second chance. When I started showing 2nd level, I did back down to just 1 test a lot of the time though because they were so much more complex and took more warm up time to prepare for. Just more difficult all around. Yes, I saw that whole Two Socks thing. Absolutely disgusting that they won?t put him down. How on earth did he come in looking so great and end up in such horrendous condition??

Shantel ? Wow! That sounds like quite the workout. You and Layla have had bunch of time off recently. Hope you and Layla are okay after that ride. That is a nasty looking wound Rex has, but it looks like it is healing well. POOR Layla!! Hope the eye heals and the swelling goes down without another vet visit. OMG, Shantel, you can keep your nasty, poisonous snakes!!!

KTS ? Longer backs are more comfortable to ride than the shorter backs, so if you are looking for another prospect to train and sell, that will be a nice marketing point for him. If you are going to train him as an eventer, the collection won?t be as much of an issue in the lower levels, but he will need to collect if he is going to move up to the upper levels of eventing. How long of a back are we talking about?? Sort of long or OBSCENELY long?? Sort of long, I wouldn?t worry about. Obscenely long, I might walk away from just because you might end up with back issues at some point.

Tracy ? WOO-HOOOO!! So glad to hear the show went so well. Can?t wait to see the videos!!

CSA ? Nope, keep looking, that is not the trainer for you. Ick!! Isn?t it amazing how long it takes to heal up the older we get?? Ouch!! Hope you are feeling better soon.

Okay, so I don?t even want to talk about being sore. All I can say is OW, OW, OW!!!! I?ve been doing a new power yoga DVD I got. It?s kicking me!! Talk about painful. And I haven?t even gotten to the hardest of the three workouts on the DVD yet. OMG!!!

Well I was smart enough to not ride last week during a thunderstorm when I was all alone (figured it wasn?t a good time to find out how Lieto behaves during thunder and lightening), but I?m apparently NOT smart enough to avoid the hurricane. *sigh* Honestly, it just never occurred to me that the hurricane would upset him. It was high winds, but not that bad, and POURING down rain. Really, it was just a bad rain storm. Not much more than that, but I guess it really affected the gray beast. I hadn't ridden since Wednesday as I had had to work at the liquor store all week because we were short staffed. He didn't get his turnout Saturday, but it certainly isn't the first time I have ridden him with no turnout. I led him into the ring, and he spooked and threatened to rear on me several times. I opted to lunge before I rode. He was a nut case. Rearing, plunging, bucking. He did a lovely capriole that got so much air all four of his feet were literally over my head. At one point, he went straight up on his hind feet, pivoted 180 degrees, came down, and went the other direction on the lunge. Let me just say, THAT is very impressive for a 17.2hh horse!!! He is REALLY tall in a full out rear. He showed not signs of slowing down at all, and I was debating the wisdom of calling the vet to run a Lyme test, or calling the vet from the PPE to run that long acting drug screen. I was just at a loss. I asked him to halt and just stand. He was twitchy, but stood and relaxed with me for several minutes. When I felt he had calmed himself, I asked him to WALK on the lunge. He did. So I asked him to trot. He gave me a lovely relaxed trot. He seemed to have worked it all out of his system, so I stopped him and removed all the lunge gear. As I was leading him to the mounting block to get on, he spooked and threatened to go up on me again. I had had enough. I just got on and rode. He was a perfect angel under saddle. He probably would have been fine if I had just gotten on and rode him in the first place without lunging, but I just didn?t want to take the chance ? he was acting so odd. I rode for about 20 minutes, and he was flat exhausted when I was done. He never even broke a sweat after all of that though. It was cool, just under 60 degrees, but still he worked and played pretty hard. I thought he would have broken a sweat at least under his saddle.

He is putting the weight back on, but I can't tell WHERE yet. Really hard to judge just yet. All I have for reference is the girth and how tight it goes up!! I have a feeling he got a smidge wider, but it is a such a subtle difference, that I can't see it. He was easier to balance on Saturday, but hard to tell if that was because he warmed himself up playing on the lunge, or if it is because he is finishing up with whatever growth cycle he was going through. I haven't lunged before I rode in few weeks, so usually I am trying to warm him up under saddle. Saturday's ride made it difficult to judge since he got to warm up on the lunge. I won?t be able to go back out to ride him again until tomorrow night.

~Shelly~

Smithereens, sounds likea good plan with Lieto. We really do need to see some new pics of you two together. He is such a funny boy, getting all worried and then voila' you get on him and life is good. At least it sounds like, even if he gets worked up about something away from home, once you get on him he will settle down and go to work. What a good boy. Yes, I think it's time to try 2nd level and my farrier will have shod him two more times by the time I take him to that show and it is just a schooling show, so good place to get our feet wet with 2nd level. I can not imagine starting a young horse out in a gag bit. I always started mine in a loose ring snaffle. When I bought Beau I had a hard time finding western bits long enough to fit him! So english is really good for him. Not that he's huge, he wears a 5 1/2" but western bits don't come much longer than 5". The mrtg. company seems to have everything worked out for us anyway. I know a lot of other folks are having problems. They did tell me to hold of on making my Sept. payment until at least next week. How about next year? [ROTFL] That would work for me!!!

Our weather is finally cooling down. It was only 93 yesterday, a down right cold spell I tell ya! Amazing how good it felt compared to 103!! I plan on riding tonight. I know Beau will appreciate the cooler temps. Soon it will be fall!! Woot!

Whoo smithereens, that's a lot of typing!

I don't think he's back is CRAZY long, honestly I think it's more of an allusion with him being tucked up and lean, and the fact that he has a long top of the neck with withers that are a bit far back, and a short underside of the neck.

He's 4, and looks like he's in the middle of a growth spurt. I had one (very short backed) that apparently the neck fairy came to at the age of 6, because when I had him as a 3 and 4 year old . . . we called him Donkey for a reason. :) It was his winning attitude that was so awesome, and not his looks, and this lad might be the same way.

Anyway, I'm looking at him tomorrow morning!

Edit: Lieto sounds like Riley! He can do the whole Hi Ho Silver thing on the lunge and is a pain to walk, but I remember on Champs where it was the first cold morning of the year and I had an 8 am ride, and the temporary tents were flapping and the place was hectic, and I had to take a leap from the mounting block just to get on him with him dancing around, and once my but was in the saddle it was all work! He's much better now though, he was only 7 then.

Edited by Kiss The Sky

Boocoo ? I swear it is the weirdest thing, Lieto is just so much more settled when I am riding him than when I am working with him on the ground. And I have a really hard time remembering that ? or maybe believing in that. When he is fooling around and getting REALLY TALL, it backs me off, and it is hard for me to swing my leg over his back, but as soon as I do, he just . . . settles and goes to work. Not that I don?t expect him to be a 4yo at some point, but in general, he is better behaved under saddle. Hey, whatever it is, I?ll take it!! A schooling show is the perfect place to test out 2nd for the first time. I can?t wait to hear how it goes. I sure remember my first time clear as day. HA!! Yeah wouldn?t that be nice if you could postpone those mortgage payments until next year. OMG, 93?? I would melt. We barely hit 71 and breezy here today. We are back to long sleeves and sweatshirt weather!! ACs are off and windows are open. Sooooo nice!!! I love fall. Best season of the year and lasts for months here.

KTS ? HA!! I type about 90-100 wpm, so I tend to get carried away sometimes. I think at 4yo they still have a lot of growing and filling out left to do. Depending on the horse, it can be hard to ?see? what they are going to finish out like. Because of Lieto?s breeding, one side says he will turn out tall and lean, and the other side says he will be short and stocky, so we really don?t know what he is going to do ? just have to wait and see. Let us know how it goes tomorrow. Hopefully you find your new project. OMG ? this foolishness on the ground could last until Lieto is 7yo???? %^$#%&*# Beckham said with her horse, Winston, it only lasted until he was 6yo. I was hoping he would outgrow it by then. I?m not happy to hear that Riley was still silly at 7yo. *sigh* At least you can say the same about Riley as Winston and Lieto though, silly on the ground, but good under saddle. That makes me feel better. I?ll cope with silly on the ground as long as I can have the good under saddle!!!!

~Shelly~

Smithereens you out type me girl! I can only type about 72 wpm and fastest I ever did without mistakes, in a test for a job, (3 years ago) was 67 wpm!!! I know it's hard to believe when these big horses are taller than a giraffe that they are actually safe to get on? :twitch: I think that is really awesome that he settles down so nicely under saddle, tells you right there what a great work ethic he has. You have definitely found yourself a jewel. I can't wait till it's nice and cool here. Like in the 80's would be good! [ROTFL] Our winters are fairly mild though, so really looking forward to the weather cooling down. Our weather man said July 09 was the hottest month on record and Aug. 09 was the 2nd hottest! Oie ve'!!!

Bell just rang, going home to ride now.

I hate my job.

I know you guys have heard the crap in the past that Ive put up with my boss.

Today was a new low. I was shaking because I was so mad and I almost walked out of the office. The receptionist was having to tell me to calm down because she knew I was able to lose it.

I cannot wait to find another job.

What a *****.