Boocoo

Dressage Chit Chat #27

I know many of you know Holly, FleckenAwesome...she lost her young horse, Dewey, to colic yesterday. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers.

I was just going to post this. :(

Also, that big young chestnut I was riding in November, Bach, was put down today due to a joint infection. Not a great start to the year. We are all kind of down here.

Awwwww rats! I thought we were DONE with sad news and posts for awhile. We're all due some good news for most of this year. My condolences for Dewey and Bach. [Angel]

Tracy

I hate hearing about loosing horses! So sad! Breaks my heart.

On a good note, Bobby's swelling has gone down significantly. I e-mailed my Vet. pictures and she said it is progressing normal and if it gets worse again to of course let her know. He almost looked normal this evening.

Shiloh, that is awesome about your mare doing a nice canter half pass! I am going to get pics of Beau's feet tomorrow afternoon when I get done riding him. Then I will post them.

Ok, weirdness here. I cannot post at work. I cannot post here or on the UDBB, but I can post on the Farrier Forum, so don't think it's the network? [bang Head] I have my network tech looking into it for me to see if it's something wrong with my account. Strange!

Holy Cow KTS-the one you were going to show and posted a video of??? How awful, I am so sorry.

I kept thinking about Holly this evening and spent some extra time with my kids despite the cold. I took some time to ride Beckham bareback in the snow and hang out and watch some deer and think about how lucky I am.

That's the one. He's been battling what they thought was a nasty abscess since I last posted, and finally took him to state last week to run tests. They did xrays, biopsy, ultrasound, and then finally an MRI today, thinking it might be an infection in the navicular joint. I guess the news wasn't good, as I got a message that they had put him down.

Oh my gosh... my heart aches for Holly and your friend Alyse. How sad. I cannot imagine having to go through that. Prayers for them and the ponys. [Me Cry]

Bot a good sart to the year at all.

Looks like my sister's mare has EPM. She can not afford the Marquis. So they are trying the older method. My sister had to recently cut her hours at work and wants to file for disability. Her husband is collecting unemployment. So they are not in a good situation financially.

KTS-I am sorry to hear about Bach.My thoughts are with you and his owners.

Fleckin(if you read this)-I am sorry for your loss. [Huggy]

I am planning to go ride finally tomorrow. Although I may just have to spend more time just hanging out with Cheese and giving her a few extra treats.

CSA, has your sister tried to call the company that makes Marquis? I remember reading that they donated some to a rescue horse once, so maybe they can do the same for her, or give her a coupon. It's worth a shot, especially if they caught it early enough that the horse has a good prognosis.

This does seem to be a bad start to the year for some of yall. KTS, any idea how that joint became infected? Things like this worry me after Annie's injury.

Well ladies, I haven't been posting as much cause I can't post at work anymore. The network tech and I looked over everything and can't figure it out. I can log on, send and receive pm's and hit reply. Then when it loads my reply, there is no text to be seen. Same thing on the UDBB. But I can post on the farrier forum. Very strange.

I received Bobby's AHS papers in the mail today. Very cool to look at his lineage.

It has poured all week. No riding for me lately. Not since last Monday. Argh! Here we go again. I do have a 3 day weekend though and am hoping to be able to drag and ride by Monday afternoon. We'll see. I had to cancel my lesson today. At least the sun is shining now.

I just got back from my GMO banquet...will post a picture later.

One of my instructor's horses is in renal failure so she couldn't go...what a crappy week.

They are not quite sure how he did it. The vet is thinking puncture, but couldn't find the wound. I told my trainer about it, and we both had the same reaction- Riley did the same thing- how does he always come back?? Maybe he's luckier than I thought.

No real updates here. Riley is trucking along, Amore has had a tough spell, hormonally wise, but I had the loveliest canter serpentines, about 5 of them, all the same.

Trainer rode Bennigan for the first time today, so I have a bunch of new stuff to work on.

My dad is home, and he fixed the hotwire, so now Mr Ben cannot lean on my fences and eat over them.

Know what he did the first time his butt hit the hotwire today?

He JUMPED my GATE!!!! Cleared it. This ain't no puny gate- it's 4 1/2 foot livestock gate!! And from a near standstill, not a mark on the gate or him! I caught the landing, and he went and grazed until I got him. Lucky he is fine, but man, I think he's athletic!

Hahaha...Beckham cleared one of those gates when he was 6 months old:-)

I can't remember where that link was to get the free shipping code from Smartpak. Does anyone have one or remember?

Beck, there is always a code on COTH in off-course.

Annie has been known to jump out of the pasture on occasion. She's only cleared about 3' from a standstill though. She's not had the inclination to jump the gates. I need to set up a jump chute and try her at free jumping a couple small things.

Beckham, what did you get at the Awards Banquet for awards? Post pics.

KTS, that is scary that horse jumping the gate. I am suprised Beau never has. He sure looks like he is going to sometimes, but he's probably too much of a wimp.

Our awards banquet is next weekend, but won't be that big a deal for me. Just going to have fun and I get something for 1st level USDF shows, but not much.

Sorry I havent been active... I woke up at 2:34am Friday night/Sat morning and couldnt breathe and my throat was so sore and ugh... it was awful. I somehow got sick and it just attacked me. I ended up going to scribe at the show yesterday but man I didnt feel like it. But it was indoors and I really like this judge so it wasnt too bad. But being up at 630am and being out at the Eq Center until 130pm... I was feeling it. I came home and fell asleep... my mom came home with some Nyquil. I took that and slept until 8pm. Luckily my step dad fed the ponys for me.. ugh its so awful. I sound like a frog is in my throat and Im sneezing like crazy and 1 nostril is stuffy while the other is running and I have all this drainage... what in the world!

I was actually able to ride my horse on Friday though. It was SO nice to finally RIDE again. She did great and we did lots of trot sets to get us both back in shape. A little cantering but not much but she offered great canter/walk transitions.

Sadly with this crazy cold weather that we had for 2 wks, we have over 20 dead tilapia in the pond. They start dying when the water temp gets to 55 and since we had a few mornings where 3' all around the pond was frozen, I know the water was COLD. So sad though... they are such nice fish (we could eat them but we dont) and they are ALL around 2.5-3lbs (big for tilapia).

Just taking my meds and trying to get better before work tomorrow... Then I have the awards banquet on the 24th... and Randys friend (mine too) is coming from Salt Lake City on the 21st and will be here until next Thursday.. so I have to get the house cleaned up before that while being sick and all... ugh!

Going to go rest...

Shantel-Sorry you are feeling crappy...I am fighting a headache right now. Crazy weather.

I haven't ridden much at all since the weather has been so bad...but might be able to tomorrow. There is a clinic next weekend at my instructors with the same German guy and if the weather stays nice and it isn't too expense, I might drag Beckham's butt over there. At the least I will go audit!

All three of my horses were standing in the corner of the field today tearing each other's blankets off; they are insane. I can't believe how well they get along.

I also went to my trainer's and helped her start more fluids to her horse in renal failure. He gets another blood test tomorrow and that will decide what happens next. Very sad.

Here is a picture from yesterday's banquet. I HATE having my picture taken!! I am on the end in the dress along with some other rated show winners. Awards were not exciting...the ribbon and trophy, a gift certificate from SmartPak, and a bronze medal. I am not rejoining this year. The turnout was very small at the banquet.

100_1171.JPG

KTM-I hope you are feeling better soon. It is never fun being sick.

With all this talk of jumping gates you guys reminded me of when my friend and first trainer bought Cheese. They had her in a stall that connected to a small paddock. They usually left the top of the door open at night so Cheese could get some fresh air. Well Cheese didn't get the concept of a stall right away. She would jump the door from a stanstill and jump back in when she wanted her food.Luckily she got over that.

Speaking of jumping, Mr. Kashmir jumped his fist little jumps yesterday. It took him a while to get the whole concept of going over rather than around, but he did finally manage it once my friend used her horse as a jump wing. He's supposedly a cute little jumper, even though he only went over a 12" fence. She said he actually rocked back on his hind end a bit.

And Lucy has decided that she likes simple changes SO MUCH that she's now going to offer them all the time. Want a trot from a canter? You'll get 4 simple changes, 2 or 3 strides apart, before she finally settles on trot. But they are darned near perfect every single time now. Silly mare!

We had to kill one of the chickens today. It somehow got seriously injured and hubby found her lying on the floor of the pen, unable to move. Not sure what happened, but she spent the night pooping on herself. Not a scratch on her though. Also lost 2 more baby chicks. That makes 11 that haven't made it past hatching.

Emily, my pigeons eggs arent hatching either. I was told it is probably either salmonila (sp) in the loft that is infecting the eggs or the pigeons dont have enough grit. Could that be whats happening to the chickens? Poor chicken though. And Id love to see pics of Mir over fences too cute. Going outside... will catch up later..

I think my problem is humidity. They chicks develop fully, but they don't hatch. I posted on a chicken BB, and the general concensus was that they are probably drowning when they go to hatch because the humidity isn't allowing enough water to evaporate from the egg. But I am incubating them rather than the hen hatching them. None of our hens will sit on eggs for very long.

I did find someone in Sarasota who has runner ducks, and she said that if I order some eggs she will hatch them out for me. Her ducks aren't old enough to lay yet. I just LOVE my runner ducks! So the plan now is to sell some of the chickens and get more ducks.

Id love to have the ducks but alas, so would the Germans.

So I went over to the neighbors tonight and rode Layla. The first (and last) time we were there was the time I posted about where she just litterally was quivering under me and was SO tense and it was a disaster. So yeh. Not to mention going over there by ourselves along the state highway (60 mphs and big semis, etc) and Layla was already VERY up. We spent 30 mins walking around the property, stopping, snorting, spinning, spooking, smelling, and staring at various things (trailer, orange tree, orange on the ground, hose, fence, fire pit, leaves, etc).

Finally we are able to walk around the ring. Of course shes still quite up and my hips feel like they are going to dislocate from the very active walk she had going on. Theres no point trying to slow her down when shes like that. You just have to let her do her thing until she finally chills. We just did lots of circles, serpentines, etc and she finally started stretching down and blowing. Of course as soon as we trot, we have to do it all over again.

BTW did anyone see that video of a young horse at an indoor show that was posted on UDBB? He was terrified of the judges booth and the rider kept having to school him, etc? Well imagine Layla doing that (obviously no where near as nice moving but still). That was us. Mind you, I have been saying that I wish she would show more personality under saddle and not be so business like all the time. Well I got my wish!

Actually with her being so UP (and very open), I was easily able to keep my upper body and arm/hand position where it needed to be. Mostly trying to maintain SOME tempo while gently following with forward hands, lifting upward to bring her back to me.

Finally she starts working and wow.... Why is no one ever around when they finally click into this great work? She was trucking along and it was SO easy to sit (IF I kept myself soft, supple, and following.. as soon as I would tighten up, Id bounce in the saddle, oops). We did do some cantering but maybe 1 time around each way. She was still quite tense and very worried about the neighbors who were sitting in front of their HUGE workshop thing (in front of this 8500 sq ft house that is for sale) with a fire burning.

But at the end of it all, we were doing 10m circles to SI to HP. It felt great. And I was thinking about how I read in Dressage Today I believe it was... a french training method or term.. where you ask the horse to do something and then you stop the aid to see if they keep doing as you ask without fussing at them.. anyways... as we are just trucking around with this freely forward thinking horse under me, I was just so happy to know that yes, she WAS freely going forward with no urging or constant nagging from me like we did for so many years.

So we come home... of course more semis and wind and twilight so shadows... walked around the 2 acres that are for sale next door... got home and wouldnt you know that shes a little damp at the neck, girth, stifles, and between her back legs but not bad. I guess that is a testiment to how fit she is getting if she can work that hard and not be drenched like she used to be?

Anyways.... BIG case in the AM at work canceled so barely anything to do so I was told to come in Wednesday instead... so boo on not getting a days pay but Ill use it to ride my horse and take care of some errands.

Will catch up with everyone tomorrow with my free time.. lol

Edited by KrazyTBMare

Shantel, you can't have my ducks! It's the chickens we are going to sell some of. The ducks aren't going anywhere!

So farrier was here today. Hes a cool guy. Really down to earth; into a lot of the same things Randy and I are; etc. Anyways he has a friend (OLD guy) who has GSPs and raises quail and has in the past offered to take us out there to run our dogs. Well we were talking today and I was like yeh we need to do that I will have to find out when Randy is off. Hes like Joann (his wife) already gave me permission to date you, Randy doesnt have to be there. Of course hes laughing but Im like whoa ok. LOL

Well then hes talking about how his 16 y/o daughter had her first broken heart because the boy broke up with her when she wouldnt sleep with him. Of course we were both like boy he did her a favor, the guys who dont want that outright are the ones worth keeping around, etc. Then I mentioned how Randy and I werent "together" for 6 months when we started dating and I was 17 and he was 20. And hes like wow I didnt know you guys have been together that long. Blah blah, we get to talking and I was like yeh I have always been the bigger girl in the group (really curvy, big chest and hips) but most of the guys in our group always wanted to date me. Then he goes, well of course they did. You are a very attractive girl and you are down to earth and funny and guys love that. And I was like aww gee thanks. And hes like no seriously, who wouldnt want to date you?

Im like wow. Ok farrier is good looking mid 30s guy. Is he being nice or hitting on me? lol Either way, it was nice because I was wearing my crappy riding pants, big baggy shirt, sweaty helmet hair, and NO makeup. Made my day. lol

But ponys got their feet all done. Gosh I do love my farrier though. Laylas feet just look so freaking amazing. Rex's feet no longer pancake out into these huge, flaring platters. Bens feet are doing so well too and hes moving better.

Also, farriers helper was there today. I posted about him a while ago but he is a farrier as well and he travels with the polo teams down in Wellington and does all of their horses. Anyways, hes up here right now and he also starts babys. Not a cowboy at all and just the little I saw of how he handled Rex when Rex was none too happy about standing for so long, I liked. So maybe after Rex's OCD surgery and all we can look into having him get on him.

Went over to Jills and rode today since I didnt have to work. She was really good. Not up like she was at the neighbors yesterday as Jills place is familiar. But she did well. Her left hind is a little weak from being out of work. She wanted to switch out behind in the left lead canter when going into the corners. I just need to do more trot sets and cavaletti.

Emily, I didnt mean YOUR ducks. I just meant ducks in general. But the dogs LOVE the pond and love to swim. I couldnt keep a duck and not let it in the pond. The pigeons will do for now.

T-minus 4 days until the banquet! Im so excited. I really hope this is going to be as great as I plan!

Gotta go dry my hair and prep for work tomorrow... Night

Edited by KrazyTBMare

My sister is officially a Grandma! [shocked] It's actually her stepson and his wife's baby. They just got married in Oct. of 08 and they are soooooo young, but they really wanted to get married and now they have a lovely new baby girl. They had to do an emergency C section, the heart beat was dropping to low at about 6 p.m. My Mom called me to tell me. They are all so excited. Course I am not even there. Now I have two new babies to go see in Tucson. This one and my good friend's who just had her baby in November. How exciting.

Have not been able to ride again. We had so much rain last week, my arena is still too wet. I am hoping to be able to drag it tomorrow and ride on Thurs. or Fri. Thursday's are kind of tough to ride.

Our first schooling show is March 6th. I am debating not even doing it. I just have not been able to ride. We'll see how it goes though, but that is 2 weeks earlier than usual. Don't know why they decided to do it so early. If I can get some good riding in and some lessons, I will do 2:1 and 2:2. My first rated show is in May, so that would give me two schooling shows to get those tests down real good, before I try to get my scores towards my bronze. So I am just playing it by ear.

Good night all! [smiley Wavey]

It is good to see everyone prepping for shows again...makes it feel like spring is coming! There is a rated show every weekend in March south of here, so if the weather doesn't get terrible, maybe:-) My arena is actually in great shape and I have been riding. Very odd for the middle of January! Although Beckham lost a show out playing in the pasture, so the farrier will be here today.

My trainer's horse is not going to make it and she will be putting him down in the next day or so.

I need to get ponies done and head to school.

Well we finally had a chick hatch last night, and he was strong and squirming and chirping. He died overnight. I'm starting to wonder if these chicks have something just not right with them. They all have the same dad, so I might loan my roo to my in-laws and trap the feral roo, then try again.

I rode through 2-3 last night and it was really pretty nice, until mare got all silly about the medium canter. She just loves to run. I'm going to run through 2-2 today, if I can remember it. But I'm feeling pretty good about this little show, and about doing a rated show this summer. She's just really coming together.

I got a call a bit before noon today from the local accountemps office. They have a couple positions with H&R Block that just came up, starting as early as tomorrow. Am I interested?! Yes, I am. I am more than ready to get working full time and start bringing in a paycheck. When I went to law school, I didn't ask myself what I would do if the economy tanked while I was in school. I've been looking since last May, and finally I will have some full time temp work. Accounting rather than law, but I was looking at both. I *really* didn't want to give in and waitress or work fast food! So I have seasonal work, then possibly an eight month corporate tax assignment. Hopefully the latter will develop and turn into a full time job offer. But if nothing else, I'll be back in the workforce! [Yay] My prior tax experience is all corporate, so this will broaden my experience and skill set. I braved the roads after the ice storm to do some paperwork. Of course, I only now realized I didn't ask about time cards and pay periods and such. I'll have to call tomorrow morning or over lunch! lol Now I just need to make sure the nicer of my business casual wear still fits... :)

Fessor is healing nicely from his sliced open leg. I'll have to call the vet and see if he can either come out EARLY on Friday or sometime on Saturday. We originally left the time open... Hopefully Fess will be cleared for turnout and light work soon. We'll see. Have a good evening everyone! I'm going to an early dinner with some friends, then heading to bed a bit early.

Tracy

Sorry to hear about your trainers horse Beckham. She must be devastated. Yep, time to start prepping for shows again. Yeah!!

Glad to hear Lucy is coming together for you Shiloh.

Congrats on the job Tracy and glad to hear Fess's leg is healing nicely.

I finally got to ride today. This time it has been a week and a 1/2. We got a ton of rain last week. My arena is still very slick and boggy in some areas. I almost got the tractor stuck a couple of times dragging it. So I got out my orange cones and marked all the bad areas and just rode in weird patterns! [ROTFL] Who cares, I got to ride.

Still pondering the first schooling show. I want to do it, I am just not sure how much more rain we are going to get. And since it's my 2nd level debut, I really want to be well prepared. We'll see how it goes, about the time I need to send my entry in. If I do it, I will do 2nd 1 and 2nd 2.

Awards banquet Sat. night. That's about it this weekend besides church of course!