Boocoo

Dressage Chit Chat #27

Slyves- when Riley is sore, it feels like tightness through his back- he gets heavy and slow and pissy. Here he's head-bobbing, so not sore. Alas for the easy solution.

Happy V-day!

I'm off to a date with my hairy long-nosed boys. They like me better than real guys. :) Especially when I feed them. Real people don't appreciate when I make them food, HAHA.

Shantel- Yes start with minuscule collections. And then continue to up her work as you put more endurance on her. And tulips!! OOO those are my favorite flowers...you're hubby sounds like a love. Lucky girl!

Sylves- YES I can't wait!!! I have 1 1/2 week left!! AHH! I just entered him into an event while down there. And can't wait to get down there and school some XC. Pretty stoked for it all!

Shiloh- Hope the surgery went well!

Ok this is my least favorite day. Stupid Hallmark. Stupid boys and I hate the dating game. Seriously....coming out of a long long relationship and being thrust back into the field has made me just not want to date.

Spent it w/ my darling ponyboy instead. Had a fantastic jump school! Started to pack for Aiken. Bought some things that I need before leaving for Aiken. The 13hr drive is going to be interesting!! HAHA

Shantel- Yes start with minuscule collections. And then continue to up her work as you put more endurance on her. And tulips!! OOO those are my favorite flowers...you're hubby sounds like a love. Lucky girl!

Sylves- YES I can't wait!!! I have 1 1/2 week left!! AHH! I just entered him into an event while down there. And can't wait to get down there and school some XC. Pretty stoked for it all!

Shiloh- Hope the surgery went well!

Ok this is my least favorite day. Stupid Hallmark. Stupid boys and I hate the dating game. Seriously....coming out of a long long relationship and being thrust back into the field has made me just not want to date.

Spent it w/ my darling ponyboy instead. Had a fantastic jump school! Started to pack for Aiken. Bought some things that I need before leaving for Aiken. The 13hr drive is going to be interesting!! HAHA

If you are coming down I-77 around Charlotte, NC and want to stop for a meal and meet a board buddy (AKA ME!) let me know! Otherwise drive safe!!

Hubby had a break from the boat so came home for a few hours. My kind of man - brings me some Zaxbys, leaves me alone so I can take a nap, and then helps me clean the barn/feed. Werd. lol The flowers were nice too of course.

Man I cant believe that from Mississippi to the Carolinas is going to get MORE snow! What is going on??? And as for us here, IM SICK OF THE RAIN! Or let me rephrase, I am sick of the ground being a muddy, gross, slippery, disgusting mess!

On a good note though, went over to the neighbors to ride Layla today. She was fantastic. I watched a training video that is over on UDBB and liked the idea of downward transition to walk or halt, TOF or TOH, then back to upward gait. Really works the stifles and I noticed really made Layla wait for me and not blow through the aids (very key for her). So we did that and then did some trotting and cantering. Shes finally building up her strength enough behind that we were able to canter both ways with no slip ups. To the left she was a little more tense, holding herself, but her RH shoe is off and I know that she probably didnt feel as confident back there. However, we were able to do 2 canter 1 loops from 1-4 both ways and then change cross the diagonal. Lately shes been offering to walk from the canter so we are kind of working towards the simple changes in 2nd I guess. But yes, she was very good.

Have the dentist coming on Friday. Very excited as I know baby horse needs some work. My neighbor may have her horses looked at too.

For those who have tomorrow off, enjoy the long weekend! I for one do have to work but all of my work weeks are 4 days anyways.

Night!

Note to self: next time anyone cuts through your abdominal muscles, TAKE IT EASY!! I helped put up a fence the past two days, and even though I mostly just stood and watched and fetched things, just the bending over was on the prohibited list. I am SOOO paying for it right now. Everything from my ribs down hurts.

Cripple Duck stood today! He actually stood up! And then he fell over onto his side and thrashed around trying to get back onto his belly. But standing is progress! I love him so much. He squeaks when he eats, and when I hold him, he nibbles on my shirt, my fingers, my hair, whatever he can get his little bill on. He's adorable. Shantel totally needs a couple of these guys.

Shantel, the things I have found that have helped Lucy are half-steps, and lots of transitions. We do trot to halt, back to trot, halt and rein-back, WALK, then trot, a bit of half-pass, then back to halt... I also try to vary up the lateral work so I don't end up doing just SI down the entire long side, or just the patterns from the tests, etc. With her, it also works much better to school a day, then hack a day. And if I do school two days in a row, one is mostly trot work and one is mostly canter work. It really helps to give the muscles a chance to repair damages from the work, and thus to strengthen. I have also recently been scolded for not lunging her enough. And don't forget to keep mixing the stretchy gaits in there. They need the stretchy work to help keep the back lifted and everything stretched out so they don't get cramps.

Beckham-Thanks. I have been thinking of ordering one. It To bad I was loose in the tack in that pic. I tend to be harsh on my over fence critque if myself. I had one of those anal position trainers. Which was good. I could never place on the flat but always clean up over fences. I am thinking of trying to get a couple lessons from that trainer. I need them. The only problem is that the trainer has decided to do just barrel racing.

Are you surviving all the snow?

shiloh-Glad to hear CD is doing better. Take it easy. You have to give you body time to heal.

KTS-That sounds like the perfect date. Horses are much better than men. Just don't tell my husband I said that.

I finally got to ride. Not much more than a walk. Footing wasn't the best. There was still some snow in the ring after they plowed. However Cheese's walk work was fantastic. She let me know when she felt warmed up and went straight to work on the bit. I tried to focus on turns on the bit. Cheese got a little excited with turning. She had two weeks off because of the weather. When I decided to cool out and leave her strech, Cheese streched out over her back and had a beautiful engaged walk. She usually is engaged vut does a speed walk. Today she just offered a regular nice walk. A big step for her. I so can not wait for the nicer weather to start really riding again.

I had a surprisingly good V-day yesterday. I took a lesson on Fessor. It was my first ride on him for five or six weeks, since before his first leg injury. Thank goodness I thought to put him on a lunge line for a few minutes, just in case. I almost didn't since we had lunged Wed. - Sat. and he seemed mellow on the cross ties. Oh boy was he fresh! Completely inattentive and wanting to run and buck. Silly pony! My five or ten minutes for him to stretch his legs and get his attention on me turned into twenty or twenty-five minutes for him to get his brain back on. lol Then we had a nice lesson. We focused on staying nice and relaxed. So a lot of lateral work at the walk to begin loosening up a rusty, stiff body and to keep the silly pony calm. A fair bit of trot work, with serpentines so we could work on bending and straightening and alternating between sitting and posting. A very few canter transitions and very little canter work. Fess was still a bit too excited for me to be comfortable cantering more than eight or ten strides at a time. Overall, it was a very good ride. And quite wonderful getting to ride my pony again. We didn't bother lengthening or shortening the trot just yet, instead we were focused on simply asking him to relax and stay relaxed when things change.

In the afternoon, I met some friends at a basic neighborhood bar and watched part of the Daytona 500. We had a few drinks and chatted, then went out for Japanese food. The area where they prepare the food in front of you and put on a show was completely reserved, but we got a table in the other area. A little sushi and some big entrees made for a fun evening. There were five of us, and even though I was the only single in the group it wasn't so romantic for me to feel like a fifth wheel. It felt like a fun group of friends, not two couples and a single.

Can I say again how hard "Singles Awareness Day" can be for me? Most of the time, I don't mind being single. But the overly strong focus on romantic couples gets to me. I can see how it might be hard for married couples too -- V-day seems like the quintessential dating couple's holiday.

Tracy

CSA-I am kind of surviving the snow...it stinks. More coming today. I am home from school studying for a big test tomorrow!

I have ridden some in the snow...here are some pics of the kids my DH took on Saturday!

100_1220.JPG

100_1212.JPG

100_1215.JPG

Fun pics, Shelley!

CSA, I finally checked out your photos from the show; they look great! Looks like Cheese enjoys to jump! You guys look good together!

Shantel, I agree, this weather is getting old. At least you're able to ride some. What a sweet hubby you have! Flowers, time to nap, help with chores! What more could a lady ask for? :-)

Alyse, how is Riley feeling today? Maybe it is time to start with the bubble wrap! Hope it's nothing serious.

Tracy, Hope you're Fess is doing better as he gets back into work. I hear ya about V-Day. It's the worst when you're single. It's like a "rub-it-in-your-face, you-don't-have-a-SO" kind of day. But, the kids sure have fun with V-Day! Glad you had fun with the group of friends!

The weather kept Shannon and me in the house for the entire day. Yuck. God forbid you try to drive anywhere! Chad did make it to work, but on his return trip home, he had to call a neighbor to plow a mile of road with his tractor.

Tomorrow I have a OB appointment. Hoping the weather allows me to make the appointment.

You guys take it easy!

Edited by Sylves

Love the snow pics!

Luckily the rain we had today was minimal. Just enough to make the roads wet and tiny puddles but not bad at all. Thank goodness. However, cold weather is behind it and tonights and tomorrows lows are 28. Ick. But just give me a few months and Ill be complaining about 90 degrees with 100% humidity! I do prefer the cold just not the WET.

Today was exhausting at work. Just one of those days. I ended up sticking a kleenex on my pen and waving it around! All of us in the back were like We Surrender! Just crazy. Add that with my whole body screaming at me for over doing it this weekend and yeh. Its 9:15 and Im about to head to bed!

Farewell Monday!

Another winter storm here...everything is closed and roads are terrible. School is opening late if at all and I am supposed to have a big exam tomorrow...ahg.

Long lining worked better than lunging Fessor. I'm still learning to effectively handle two lines, but did fairly well for a walk/trot session. It was easier to keep Fess out on the circle and slow his rhythm a bit. I will have to alternate long-lining and lunging with vienna reins once they arrive.

I changed my meds up a bit today (with the doc's help), increasing the dose of antidepressant and adding an anti-anxiety med for daily use. Hopefully I'll calm down a bit and get less reactive to minor frustrations and annoyances. I *briefly* wanted to put a fist through my car window when the door latch stuck and froze and wouldn't close and stay shut. Yep, I went to the clinic for modified prescriptions after that. Thank goodness as soon as the thought flashed through my mind the thoughts of not wanting to have my hand stitched, car window repaired, and snow in my car in the meantime immediately followed! I'm happy the anti-anxiety med hasn't made me dizzy tonight. Now to see how drowsy I get on the combination of meds... I won't drive very far in the next couple of days until I know how my body reacts.

Oh, and we have now officially had the tenth snowiest winter in Des Moines since "they" started keeping records. Please, please no flooding in the spring!

Tracy

Tracy, back in 2008 when I was experiencing severe anxiety and depression as a result of a failing friendship with my SIL and PPD, I kicked the oven door and it shattered into a gazillion pieces. We're still finding the remains of the old oven door to this day. Both my brother and I have found that this anxiety/depression/etc causes so much turmoil in our lives. I mean, it's like a spiral of problems due to a misunderstanding. And now, because of my outbursts from anxiety and moodiness from depression, I have two SIL's who hate me and a MIL who feels like she has to tip toe around me- never confront me, but surely talks behind my back with her other two DIL's. As a result of my brother's mental instablity, he has been disowned by our mother. It's an awful mess.

Sorry, just a quick vent. Glad you got your meds adjusted. Hope everything works out. How is your work going? I'll bet the workload is starting to pick up.

Edited by Sylves

Sylves-Thanks. That is why I started dressage. I wanted to eventing with her. Well now I am hooked on the dressage. Still enjoy the jumping just really need to work no my position to get my confidence back a bit. 6 months will be here and gone before you know it. Is Shannon excited to have a little brother or sister?

Beckham-Uhg that sucks. We got lucky and got less snow than what they were calling for this time. I love the riding pics. Sometimes that is the only way to ride in the winter.

Tracey-I hope the med switch helps. I prefer to long ling instead of longing as well. It always seems more productive and less fighting from the horse. It also could be I usually deal with the slighlt crazy horses who are all go .

KTM-28 was a high here for a few weeks.lol. this winter has been brutal.

I actually got to ride yesterday again. Two days in a row. Cheese walk work is really getting condidtant. Her trot not so much. She was stilll rather energetic. So it took some convincing for her to go to work. She was really good considering there was snow falling from the roof every now and again. The onlt time she spooked is when we were done and I went to open the gate.

Hubby and I went and grabbed Chinese for lunch and went to a local store that has the best baked goods. Hubby bought me my own cake as a late Vday present. We get home and there was a package. Cheese's new halter that hubby bought had finally showed up. So a real good weekend

I have some family drama that has me wanting to hit someone. Lets just say no one messes with my grandmom and gets away with it. Luckily I won't see this particular person. Not wanting to end up in jail.

I finally have my computer back!

I put Mir on the lunge line today and sent him over some jumps. We started with just an x, and then moved it up form there. He did 2'9" a couple times, and then did 3' once before he got to it funny and lost some confidence. I put it back down to an x after that and got him going back over it. But he has SOOOO much power and he jumps very very nicely. He was doing 2'9" from almost a pokey trot. He's moving nicer at the trot now too. He's still a bit tight in his back most of the time, but the head is no longer parallel to the ground, and the neck is not upside-down. It's progress.