Boocoo

Dressage Chit Chat #27

Smithereens-Hahahha! Winston could take the rafters out of an arena down! I remember boarding him at a hunter/jumper barn in Cleveland and people watching in awe before I got on. He was 6 then. I moved back to Columbus that winter and don't remember many of those antics after that:-) Although, when I let him out yesterday I saw the bottoms of all 4 feet!!! Hahahaha. Boy still has some "ups"! Lieto will be fine...I am always okay with them knowing the lunge is a place to blow off some energy and they have to behave under saddle:-) Glad Snack #3 is still going! BTW-I can't type for crap!

Boocoo-Woohoo on 2-1!!! Go Beau!!! Very exciting! I am glad his new shoes are working out and he is feeling great! Gee, I won't mention that it was like 74 here today with bright sunshine and a breeze! Windows are open and AC is off!

KTM-Sorry about the crappy job and crappy boss. I have been there. I would sneak out in the hall and call my dad and tell him I couldn't take it and I was walking out right then. I still hate that woman thinking back. Life will get better. Have you talked to your vet about that change in Rex's diet? That is a lot of protein for such a large growing horse that has had OCD already. I would check into that. As far as Layla, since she works it might be okay. I feed the Grow N Win to Beckham with no oats...he is such an easy keeper and a nice grass mix hay. I will add in a flake or two of alfalfa per day when he is in extra work, it is hot, etc. for energy since he isn't terribly energetic.

KTS-Good luck looking for your next project. I have my eyes open for one too...although no one is calling me back on one I really like.

Sylves-Yay, on getting back to riding...tis the season for great riding weather!

CSA-One of my cats eats anything. He loves to steal stuff off of a plate and run off with it. Most recently he has taken to stealing my blue tooth! I have even watched him run off with it. Devil cat!

Well, today's weather was fantastic. Beckham and I went on a nice long trail ride with my friend and her husband. I got off and tried to get him to go in the creek...and he was not thrilled. It was pretty muddy, so I didn't push the issue much! He actually loves water and plays in puddles, but he is very observant about changes in the ground that he won't always walk through something that looks different. Like when we first started riding across the road, he was afraid of the white line on the road:-) He actually reminds me a lot of my donkey in that he is very smart, notices anything that is different, remembers everything, and won't go into something (or on) that may hurt him. Most of the draft horses I know are like that. He also doesn't like strangers...okay, he is more of a dog! HAHA!

I have to take a final in the morning then going to watch a friend's lesson on her new horse. I have a lesson on Thursday then am taking some pictures of Shelby with her new owner since she really doesn't have any pictures of them together yet! :happy0203:

Boocoo-It is almost funny how you can trick yourself into thunking your cardio is good. My work requires a lot of lifting abd walking. I had decided to take a Tae Kwon Do class after a five year break. The instructer was big into cardio. I was ready to drop after the first 15 min. I really should add some cardio to my workout now. I just can't motivate yself.

Tracey-Bummer about Elli. I hope she heals soon so you can at least school her. I watched your vids. You have done a wonderful jod with Fessor. He totally trust you.

Smithereens. I have the total oppisite with Cheese. She will lunge nice and quiet and when you saddle she turns into a beast. Now if I lunge her and then throw side reins on she gets a bit argumenative as well. Sometime I wish she would play on the lunge to get some energy off. She will strech down over her topline but is like"I am bored can we do something eelse."

KTS-How was the 4 year old you webt to loook at?

KTM-Sorry about the job.Sometimes bosses can really suck.

Beckham-Good luck with the final. Have fun at your lesson. Do we get to see some of the Shelby pics?

So last night was the first night back to work after vacation. It sucked. I hardly got any sleep. So now I feel to tired to do anything. I have to go clean my western saddle. From not using it a lot I kind of ignored it and it looks terrible. I destroyed my paddock boots. So now I only have feild boots and a pair of western boots. I hate schooling in tall boots.So I either have to ride western or school in a bareback pad or suck it up and ride in tall boots. Beautiful weather all this week. I can't wait to go ride tomorrow.

Boocoo ? My typing really suffered in my last job because I hardly ever had any real typing to do. In this job, I do a lot of typing. My boss likes to dictate things to me while I type. He finds it the easiest way to get stuff done. Fine by me. My typing has improved AMAZINGLY since I started the job. Right back to where it used to be. Hey, how did your lesson go?? Didn?t you have a lesson with the new trainer this weekend??

Shantel ? I am so sorry to hear that your boss was a jerk. You really need to get out of there ASAP. Any word on a new job yet??

Beckham ? From what the barn staff tells me, Lieto is usually pretty calm and quiet in turn out. He may kick his heels up when they first turn him out, but then he settles right in to grazing. Overall, he is a VERY quiet animal. I guess every once in a while he gets his tail in a twist.

CSA ? The first day back to work is always the worst!!!

No riding for me last night. Jack and I had our dance lesson last night. Finished up with Salsa, now we need to pick a new dance to learn. Debating between the Foxtrot and the Tango. Think we are going to go with the Tango.

~Shelly~

Tango on Smithereens. Sounds like fun. I was dancing last night as well, but not any type of controlled dance! [ROTFL] I was actually listening to a classic rock station on the TV and cleaning up the kitchen and got to thinking I used to go out dancing several nights a week in my younger days and I had great cardio. so decided to dance a while. Good thing dh was in the shower and ds was in bed! What got me was Moody Blues, Ride My Seesaw! Man I love that song!! Great to dance to. My lesson is this Sat. with new traine! Woot! I am looking forward to it.

CSA, I know how hard it is to get back into work mode, especially after having the entire summer off!!!

Shantel, hope you work something out soon with the job situation.

All right Beckham, you can rub it in how lovely your weather is right now, but come winter when I am basking in 65 degree days and your are freezing your fanny off in sub zero blizzards, I am going to just have to laugh my patootie off!!! :happy0203:

Ok, so had a really nice ride last night. A very good indication to me that the shoes are helping is that when I first get on and warm up, he settles right into the warm up and fills up the outside rein. No fussing and figthing and lagging back. He would be so behind me leg before and I would really have to encourage him to be forward. Not so now. He is happy to move out and warm up and then when I ask him for the real work he is more willing. Last night I was working on simple changes and he is starting to get it so much better now. My trainer had me cantering a 10 m circle, then when I would come back across center line, keep him in haunches in, ask for the walk, halt if he doesn't walk, then walk on and pick up the canter the other direction. He can walk to canter no problem, it was the down transition that was harder for him. So last night I made a very good effort to sit up, don't bunch my leg up, keep him in haunches in, and a light bulb went off, (love those) and I realized I really needed to use my hip, so I encouraged him to track up underneath himself with the inside hind with my hip and voila' he rocked right into the walk and happily went the other way. It felt real smooth and fluid, now I just need new trainer to reinforce that that was correct. I also worked on medium trot, just once each direction. Felt ok, not great, but it's new for us. Need a lesson. He can back up all day long, and actually does that exceptionally well, it was getting him to then fluidly walk forward that was a challenge, but he can do that now as well. SI is great and counter canter loops are nice, so we just may be ready to show 2-1 in Nov. I am going to send in my entry next month and sign up to show that test! So no pressure there!!

Beck and Boocoo, we turned on the furnace ... It was just too cold in the mornings and evenings- dropping into the 40's! I've been wearing my light weight jacket or a sweat shirt for recess duty! I'm loving this weather!

Smithereens, that is so cool that you and your hubby are taking dance lessons!!! What a great way to bond! Have fun with the tango! Sounds like you are a speedy typer! I can only seem to max out with a 60 wpm with a pretty good accuracy.

I rode Jag again last night. I'm convinced that his hocks feel better, but now I wonder if we're having an issue with saddle fit or just a lack of muscle through the top line/back. His saddle pad shows concentrated weight toward the back of the pad/saddle, and perhaps some bridging in the middle. Too much pressure being exerted in one localized spot. I'm going to see if Chad's County Competitor saddle works better for Jag. I'll also look into getting my kieffer reflocked, as the flocking is extremely compacted.

I am convinced that Jag sucked up the discomfort for a couple minutes to give me some nice, light w/t/w/t transitions. It was like, I released the half halt, and WOW, he stayed steady without falling on the forhand and running!!!

As for Jag's hocks and my vet's explanation about the fusion/cortisone- I asked him to repeat his explanation a couple of times as it did not make sense to me. How could fusing two bones NOT limit mobility? He assured me that bone with the spavin in the hock has very little movement. The mobility that Jag loses after fusion won't be noticeable. Considering that I envision Jag being a training level packer for my daughter one day, I'm not too concerned about any minimal loss of mobility. I just want him comfortable and steady so that he can be a push-button dressage horse for Shannon.

Ah, today is my day off! Sorry CSA that he have to go back to work. I felt that overwhelming tired feeling just last Monday- ALL DAY. It was a LONG day.

Edited by Sylves

My lesson is this Sat. with new traine! Woot! I am looking forward to it.

Yes, so am I!! HA!! I was wondering why you hadn't told us all about it. Dancing is great exercise, and a lot of fun - not to mention that it is something that Jack and I get to do together which is REALLY nice!! We have a lot of fun. Yes, I think it is going to be the Tango. Don't you love those lightbulb moments!! Right now I would just kill to have a decent canter!! The w/c are usually easier, but those c/w are the transitions that really test the 2nd level rider.

Have you ridden the 2-1 test straight through from beginning to end yet?? I felt really ready for 2nd as well because all the "elements" were riding so well, then I rode through the test for the first time and felt like I was struggling. The elements are not so bad on their own, but that 2-1 test strings them together in a brutally unrelenting manner. You may want to ride it through if you haven't yet just to see where your "sticky" spots are so that you can work on smoothing out the transitions from one element to the next in the test without getting bogged down, then it will flow nicely for you. Especially that simple change between the quarterline and rail followed very closely by a 10m circle - that can be a real test if you have gotten strung out at all from a canter medium or counter canter, etc. I always had trouble REALLY re-collecting Raz after a canter medium so it made the following elements very challenging. You know what I mean though - each element on its own at this point is not a problem for you and Beau, but string them all together in rapid fire sequence, and ???? who knows - that is the test of 2nd level!!! It can really beat a horse and rider up. You have plenty of time to put it all together and knock it out beautifully at the show, and I'm sure you'll do great.

~Shelly~

Boocoo, I think you just gave me the motivation to get out and ride today! The talk on how you got the nice c-w did it. Not that Lucy has the strength to work on that again, but if I don't ride she won't get there. I wanted to ride yesterday, but I have been kinda sick the past two days. Monday I was really sick, and then last night I still felt puny. Now I just feel more tired than normal.

Lucy was always the type that is excellent on the ground, but goofy under saddle. Thankfully she has finally settled some under saddle. I think the foal is what did it.

Shantel, sorry about the boss. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you find a new job soon.

Sylves - I have never dealt with a horse hock spavin. As for the mobility needed in the lower levels, I agree, not enough is needed for there to be a huge difference pre/post fusion. His comfort level would be a bigger concern. Hopefully you can have him all set for Shannon when she is ready for him!!

Shiloh - Have a great ride!! Hope you are feeling better.

~Shelly~

Shiloh, have fun with the c/w trans! It is such an awesome feeling to be at that level! The responsiveness is so appealing. My old event horse got to that level. Dee was the master of transitions in the working gaits (not so much lengthened, and def not collected).

Yey, Smithereens, Mr. Jag's job is simply to w/t/c like a push button for Shannon one of these days. Later on, when I'm stronger and ready for higher level stuff, Chad and I will get our "competition" horses.. when we're rich, lol!

Sylves, the furnace? :twitch: Wow, I'm impressed, in September? Our lows are still mid 70's!!! It is truly starting to cool down now though. You can feel it at night and last night a breeze was blowing and it was slightly cool, not hot and gross. I have no experience with having to inject hocks, fetlocks, or anything else for that matter, so no help to you there. Sounds like Jag will be a great horse for Shannon someday.

Smithereens, I have not ridden the test all the way through yet. I was just thinking that very same thing last night as I attempted my last medium.........self, I said, you really need to ride the entire test through and soon! So ya, great minds think alike, eh? :happy0203: I know Beau will tell me which parts worry him then. He is great about that!! He does settle down nicely after the counter canter loops and medium canter. He loves to canter. I imagine a tough spot for us will be the first walk to canter transition, although he does those fine otherwise, and the medium trot. If his feet aren't hurting, the mediums should be ok and he does seem to be feeling better. So we'll see. I know I will need to do it a few times at some schooling shows before a rated show as well, but plenty of time for that.

Shiloh, glad I could help! :winking: Hope you are feeling better and can get out there and have a nice ride.

I need to catch up with everyones posts in a bit, but just wanted to say it was a no go with the grey- he tripped a lot! Great feet, good footing, I don't know why he did. Otherwise, he would have been perfect- very sweet and quiet ( and his back was normal length, lol).

So I'm really bummed, and I can't find anything else interesting.

Ive read everything but we are having horrible downpours AGAIN so I have a lot to clean up in the barn so just a quickie:

I sent out a few resumes last night and by lunch today I had 2 vm's for interviews. I also finally got ahold of the lady who does the hiring for Heartland Dental where my girlfriend is working. So tomorrow I have an interview after work for a woman dentist and I am meeting with the other woman next week and I have a vm to call another dentist to set up another interview.

Off to battle the water....

Tempi ? If/when you buy, will you stay in the KY area, or will you move to another part of the country??

I'll stay in the central kentucky area. Both our lives are here, and the area is really developing as far as sport horse stuff goes. I would love to live back up north, but not in the cards this lifetime. Plus I couldn't take the snow anymore!

Signing off....probably won't see much of ya'll for awhile. Life is just getting in the way. And at the moment I seriously feel as if I'm drowning. I will try to come and check up but highly doubt it.

Good luck to all for the fall months!

I'll still do my email...S that is for you.

Take care all

Boocoo ? Definitely ride that test all the way through. It is amazing how you can miss a half halt or two, and then the WHOLE test starts to unravel!!! It just never lets up for a second and gives you a chance to recover if you get a little out of sorts. You have to be dead on the whole way through. If the first run through feels a little scattered, don?t worry. You have plenty of time to package it up and make it feel nice and polished.

KTS ? At 4yo, tripping could be any number of things. Since you said he had good feet and the footing was good, one thing I can think of is that he is just awkward and struggling for his balance, but that would be more infrequent tripping. Another thing (more likely) could be he has EPSM which can cause very frequent tripping. In that case, he is a very definite pass. The very quiet, laid back personality would also go hand in hand with EPSM. Sounds like a very good decision to walk away. Keep your eyes open. The right project will come along.

Shantel ? Fingers crossed for you!!! You REALLY need a new job!!!

Tempi ? Well you are certainly in the heart of horse land in KY!!

3Day ? TRY not to drown under all that schoolwork!!!

Sooooo, as of last night Snack #3 has been turned loose, but is still hanging out very close to the viewing/tack rooms. The countdown begins!!! HA!! Poor little Snack #3!!! Funny thing is that I have NO IDEA what his name really is, so I have just been calling him Snack, as awful as that is, and even worse, he ANSWERS to it!!! I?m so bad!!! He is actually very horse savvy already. He stayed about 6 feet away from me the entire time I was at the barn last night, meowing his fool head off at me, but wouldn?t let me come near him. As soon as I was done with Lieto and put him back in his stall, Snack #3 was GLUED to my leg ? letting me pet him and pick him up and hug him. Snuggly little bugger.

As for Lieto, I tried to reach a friend on my way to the barn last night to arrange for a babysitter for my ride as I didn?t want to ride all alone after Saturday?s rodeo session. I couldn?t get in touch with my friend though, so I crossed my fingers that there would be someone out there. Thankfully, there were two people at the barn. One left almost as soon as I arrived leaving my least favorite boarder there. *sigh* Fine, I was desperate for a babysitter, and I would take anyone at that point. As I was bridling, that person was headed out the door. I was so anxious about riding alone, I ALMOST asked her to stay and watch over me until I was mounted. I know Lieto well enough at this point that once I am mounted, I can tell if he is going to be silly or not. It is just getting me into the saddle that is the challenge. I just couldn?t do it though. I sucked it up and let her leave me alone. If it had been anyone else, I probably would have asked them to stay, but I REALLY don?t like that boarder at all!!!

Lieto and I were just fine though. Whatever burr he had up his butt on Saturday was long since gone. I haven?t managed to get out to ride him since because life has just gotten in the way, so he has had 3 days off ? 3 very chilly, cool days ? but he was a gem last night. I hopped right on without lunging, and we went to work. He was nicely forward at the trot, but again, sucked back and said, ?Perhaps not? at the canter. Really???? He has been reluctant at the canter, and I know I need to get after him, but this is a hard thing for me. I started to the left which is his easier direction, and I had to tap him with the whip to maintain the canter. It wasn?t a really ?committed? whip tap, and he knew it. He was really testing last night. When I turned to the right, he totally bailed on the canter and said, ?NO.? Just tried to run through my aids, so I halted, taught him his first rein back. Did a whole bunch of t/w transitions to get him listening to me and moving off of a light leg aid, then asked for the canter again and backed it up with a solid whip tap when he didn?t respond to the leg aid. He jumped into canter, went a few strides and started to fizzle. I again just went right to the whip and gave him a good tap to remind him that we were CANTERING!!! He was surprised. He didn?t think I had it in me to get after him at the canter. Honestly, I wasn?t sure myself, but I knew it had to be done. He is such a good boy, he doesn?t do anything, just goes forward when you get after him, but I?ve had so many bad experiences on a big horse at the canter, that I do think twice. Especially when I am all alone at night. It is high time I just dig down and really get after him and ride the canter. Felt good to finally just dig down and do it. I?ve done it the past few rides, but not as forcefully as I needed to, and not like I did last night. Last night I really laid down the rules for him, so we?ll see if that starts to make a difference. He has such a good work ethic that usually we only have to have one big discussion to make a lasting difference.

I followed up my canter work with a bunch of sitting trot work and more t/w transitions and ended with a nice t/w/h transition. Darned if that horse doesn?t manage a perfectly square halt every single time. I think it is just because I have to ride him PERFECTLY evenly balanced right now, so he really is straight and even, and those square halts just come naturally. Now if we can just maintain that always!!! HA!! Before I hopped off I decided to try a couple of turns on the forehand. I?ve schooled them in hand, and tried them from the saddle once before with not so great results. I reread my Klimke ?Training the Young Horse? book and realized where I went wrong with those, so I have been meaning to try it again, correctly this time. The first one was sticky, but that was to be expected. The second one was smooth as silk ? NOT expected!! I expected both to be sticky, so I was THRILLED with him. I would have been pleased with sticky efforts in the correct direction. I never expected him to get it perfectly. Smart boy!!

Oh, almost forgot . . . when I was all done riding him, I tried French braiding his mane for the first time just to see if it is long enough. It is growing VERY slowly, but growing. Long enough to French braid, but still short enough to button braid, though really thick, so I think I would end up with quite a few button braids.

Unbraided:

Lieto0111.jpg

Braided:

Lieto0109.jpg

Goofy horse:

Lieto0110.jpg

~Shelly~

Smithereens wrote

Snuggly little bugger.

Call the kitty "Snuggles" or "Bugger." lol!

So, speaking of manes, I'm curious how everyone manages their horse's mane. Thick or thin, long or short, pull or cut, length of bridle path, type of braids, special treatments, etc. Chad and I have opposite opinions about how to manage the mane. I pull- I like moderately thin and short. I don't mind if it is whispy in the air. He cuts- he likes longer and thicker. He hates a mane that doesn't lie flat.

Edited by Sylves

Smithereens, I like Lieto's mane in a running braid. Looks very nice and think how easy that will be to do at a show. I used to do Beau's in a running braid when I ran barrels. I had to have it out of the way and his mane was really long.

Sylves, I like a short mane, but........... in order to do the type of button braids I like on him at shows, I have to have his mane about 4 to 5 inches long. I do about 8 to 10 big button braids for shows. I do not like to pull a mane. To time consuming, hurts my hands and Beau can't tolerate it. So I get out the good ol' scissors and cut it. If I have a long time between shows, I will cut it quite short, so it just lies flat. If my shows are close together, I just trim it, so it stays the length I need. I do not thin it either. I do shave a short bridle path, always have, that's the western QH thing in me, I guess. Not sure if I will do one on Bobby or not? I like Cowboy Magic leave in detangler and Shapley's NO. 1 Light oil for conditioning. Of course I do not shampoo or put anything in it before a show, or the braids won't stay in. I use Quick Braid when I braid and rubber bands. I do not sew them in. They need to come out every night, Beau gets quite upset when they are left in over night. It doesn't take me that long to do them either, so I just go ahead and take them down each night. For his tail, I don't brush it daily, I just spray the Shapley's NO. 1 light oil in it and massage it in. I bang the bottom and shave the top for shows. In between shows, I let the top grow back out.

Going home to ride soon.

Hope you get everything together 3day! If you need a break, we'll be there for you!

I really liked the horse, so I'm trying to think what could cause the tripping. He is lazy, and I didn't have a whip to push him forward. He didn't trip after he cantered for a while, and not at all at the walk and canter. He jumps beautifully, would he be able to coordinate that with epm/epsm? He was also on the grass, which I thought was fairly level but wasn't perfect. He also had bucked shins when he raced. He did race and train, and I wonder, since he was able to do that, if the tripping is just unbalanced and young horse stuff on his part. He is very geeky, and I'm very tall- I could have been just throwing him off balance. I dunno. I'm pondering asking for a two week trial to see if I can improve it with training, and then get radiographs.

KTS - Echo used to trip a bit when she was being lazy, and since she's become fitter and more balanced in her work she doesn't do it anymore. A two week trial if you really like him might not be a bad idea, so you can get him using himself better and see if that helps?

Shantel - Good luck on the job front! It sounds like you have some good opportunities cooking.

Smithereens - I like the braid. That's how I'll probably do Echo's at shows since it's a long Arab mane. I don't do the long bridle path on her, so it would probably look a lot like yours! The one thing I wonder about is that the french braid seems constrictive to them (i.e. if they stretch down it seems to get tight)? how do you avoid that?

3Day - Ciao!!! Hope things relax a bit and you'll be back when you have more time!

Boocoo - I'm right there with you waiting for the temps to cool down. I was dripping sweat after my ride today!

Sylves - Long and thick (mane, that is, I realize that sounded weird!). I used to like to pull them short - just long enough to braid - and neat, but with an Arab that just looks odd. I'm often tempted to pull Echo's, but I can't bring myself to do that to my poor Arabian!

c.s.a. - Sorry to hear your lesson wasn't great, but I'm glad Cheese was!

Beckham - Have a great lesson! :)

So X was really, really good today. It was just a fun ride, aside from the terrible heat! Poor X was dripping sweat, and my hair was soaked when I took off my helmet! Yuck.

Ooh, we have a lesson next Tuesday with the new trainer again. I can't wait!

I hope everybody has fun plans for the three day weekend! I'm looking forward to it - riding, BBQing, maybe some pool time? [smiley Wavey]

Edited by e.s.dressage

KTS, Ben, my boarders horse, would trip a few times in a ride. Nothing physical or anything. He is just lazy! He rarely trips now because my trainers husband who has been giving my boarder lessons told her that every single time he trips, make him move up in the gaits and make him WORK. Make him pick up his feet.

Now if he trips he knows hes going to have to usually canter as its mostly at the trot. I def think it can be a physical and lazy issue. A 2 week trial would be a good idea me thinks.

So I had the interview today. The place was very nice. Very small but moden and digital. I didnt realize they were owned by a cooperation but its not a huge deal. At least I dont have the dentist breathing down my neck when the schedule sucks. They arent super busy and it would be just me as the assistant as it is now. I am certainly not opposed to working there but its in a busier area of town that is getting more busy and its like 15 mins further. I am meeting with the woman from the other company on Tuesday afternoon so I can weigh my options.

3Day, I hope everything works out for you. We are here if you need us!

Shelley, Im still trying to read everything you typed! LOL But I think Lieto looks fabulous with the braid.

Sylves, Layla has an uber thick and course mane. I usually take my thinning comb (like this one: http://www.horsetackinternational.com/images/201996-new.jpg) and "pull" the mane. It actually cuts it but it looks pulled. I can do a whole mane in like 10 mins. My boarder can do it in like 5! But I dont mind them like 4 inches long. Laylas ends up running up her neck like a mohawk but it lays down along the top of her neck and makes her neck look nice.

IMG_5402a.jpg

Gotta go feed its already after 7!

I do different things for manes on all of mine. Lucy's mane gets cut, but with the scissors held up and down. If I pull hers, the braids look awful. Mir's gets roached twice a year for now, and after about 6 months it's the perfect length for button braids. They are fat, but oh well. He and Lucy both have short bridle paths. Annie's mane is left completely alone. No bridle path, nothing. It will be french braided for shows, most likely one braid down each side of her neck because it's pretty thick. It's traditional for Andy/Lusos and the crosses to be left with a full mane and no bridle path.

My boarder's Arab mare has a long and very thick mane, and she is going to do a continental braid for showing.

As for the stretchy circle, that is why I prefer button braids. A french braid has to be done fresh every time you go in the ring if you have a stretchy circle or if your horse really stretches in the free walk.

Still haven't ridden this week. I finally felt decent today, but the hubby and I went to dinner with his mom, and we are now playing Super Nintendo. Or rather, he is playing, and I am watching because I suck.

Sylves - HA!! Well I was talking to the barn manager last night and found out that they named the kitten ?Nemo? ? as in ?Finding Nemo? in case he too gets lost. sigh.gif

I used to pull Razzle?s mane to keep it around 6? long and not too thick with a bridle path of about 1-2? long, and I put in button braids. For a really thick mane, or a mane I am trying to keep as long as possible, or just a horse that HATES pulling, I will use a small set of hand clippers and ?fluff? them up under the mane along the base of the mane and thin it that way. For Lieto, I have been trying to let it grow out, so I have been treating it with Shapley?s MTG, though now that I think about it, I have been going about it all wrong. I have been putting the MTG on the length of the mane rather than the ROOTS of the mane where it needs to be to stimulate growth!!!! Duh.gif No wonder his mane hasn?t been growing very fast. Arrgghh!! I need to trim his bridle path again. I?m going to take out my mini clippers this weekend if I have time and see how he is with them. Fingers crossed!! For the tail ? I NEVER brush the tail. I hand pick the shavings and debris out before I ride. I condition it with Shapley?s MTG. When I have a show/clinic, I wash and condition it. Allow it to dry completely, spray in a detangler, then very, very, very carefully brush it out. I will hold the tail up and out and trim the stray hairs around the top of the tail to make it neat, then bang the bottom.

Boocoo ? The braid that I have in Lieto?s mane in the picture is actually a French braid, not a running braid ? I can?t even begin to tell you how long it took the baroque people on the other board to explain the difference between the two to me. I?ll give it go through because I know ESD was asking about braiding long manes!!

Running and French Braids:

Running braids ? basically it is half of a French braid in that you only pull in ?extra? hairs for every other twist you take into the French braid - only on the side the mane is coming from.

French braids ? you pull in ?extra? hairs for EVERY twist that you take in the braid, even though the mane is only coming from ?one? side, still pull in extra hairs on both sides at every twist.

I hope that made sense. The French braid is more traditional in the baroque breeds and is tighter and will last longer. It won?t get the ?wavy? pulled out look that the running braid tends to get. As for the ability to ?stretch? and ?flex? that Shiloh and ESD were asking about ? about every three to four twists, do not pull any ?extra? hairs in for twist on each side, then resume pulling in ?extra? hairs again. That builds in the stretch factor to the braid.

KTS ? I HATE trying horses on grass. No matter how nice and level the footing looks, it can be really deceptive. Especially for a gawky youngster. Good grief, Lieto struggles with his balance in a nice, perfectly level dirt/mix dressage arena. I wouldn?t attempt to ride him on the grass right now. It could be any number of things. A young horse that is sucked back and behind your leg is more apt to struggle with his balance and trip. A youngster is going to suck back with new rider. It took me a month and a half to get Lieto to find the confidence to go forward with me without having to beat on him. So why is he tripping?? There could be soooo many reasons. Perhaps you just ride him a little differently. Maybe his regular rider ?holds? him up with the reins a little more, and you ask him, allow him to stretch in to the contact, and he went, ?OMG, where is my support? and literally FELL on his face. If that?s the case, then expect a long time of some pretty UGLY rides while you teach him how to carry himself rather than rely on the rider. Could it be that his toes are a little long for him? Perhaps. Could it be something physical? Perhaps. If it is EPSM, it is treatable. It is manageable with diet. It isn?t something that is devastating, but I would have him tested for it in any PPE that you do just because you have witnessed some more than average tripping AND laziness. Two symptoms of EPSM. Ask if you can have a two week trial. If so, pull some blood while you have him, and run the EPSM test. At least that way, you can have the EPSM answer while you have him on trial before doing the entire PPE, and decide whether or not to proceed with the expense of a full PPE. Or if the owner doesn?t want to do a trial, ask if the horse has been tested for EPSM recently, and if not ask if an EPSM test can be run.

Shantel ? That is great news on the interview(s). Fingers crossed that this turns into a new job for you ASAP!!! fingersx.gif

Shilioh ? I have to have a bridle path!! Drives me nuts not to have one. Lieto's is very, very short. Barely wide enough for his halter/bridle, but that?s enough. I just have to have one!!! I think the continental braids are very pretty, but I don?t like them for dressage. They ?hide? too much of the neck. I?m still torn on whether I want to keep Lieto?s mane short enough to button braid, or let it grow long enough to have to French braid it. Just not sure I am going to like the look of the French braid enough to leave his mane long. We?ll see. Guess it depends on how his mane looks long!!

Jack?s oldest child, Natalie, turned 21 yesterday. We took her out to dinner and drinks last night and will throw her a 21st birthday BBQ this Sunday. Should be fun. I?ll have a lot of cooking to do this weekend. I?m going to try to sneak a lesson in with Julie on Saturday as well. Good luck to me!! About time though. I could use another ?check? to make sure we are still on track. I?ve sort of changed things up on how I have him going enough that we should probably have eyes on us again.

~Shelly~

Ha, Smithereens, I am not that technical, to me a running braid and french braid are the same thing! :happy0203: How you braided Lieto's mane is how I used to braid Beau's when I ran barrels. I also french braid my own hair. People are amazed that I can do my own, but it's really not that hard, as long as the hair is wet and I put gel in it, to keep all the hairs sticking together, much like Quick Braid works on horses. Not about to try Quick Braid in my own hair though! Eeewwww!!!

Quoting you below: Very interesting to know though. Course I never had to worry about that in a barrel race, but makes sense. I will stick with button braids for Bobby though, but I do like the looks of a nice running/french braid!

As for the ability to ?stretch? and ?flex? that Shiloh and ESD were asking about ? about every three to four twists, do not pull any ?extra? hairs in for twist on each side, then resume pulling in ?extra? hairs again. That builds in the stretch factor to the braid.

My dh and ds are heading up north to see his Mom. I am not going. Prefer not to travel this weekend. I want to stay home, clean the house up and ride my horse. Although I will miss them, I am looking forward to some down time!

Had another great ride on Beau last night. Worked on SI and HI. He just slides right into his HI now, no more fussing and getting all worked up and ready to spook like the dickens! I really can't wait till this new shoer has been doing him for an entire year to see the difference in him. Lesson with new trainer tomorrow. Looking forward to it. Last night when I took his leg wrap off before I rode him, the swelling pockets seemed to have gone down some more, since two nights ago when I took the wrap off. So, I do believe with time, they will go completely away and the work does seem to help them.

Edited by Boocoo

Boocoo - It never even occurred to me that you COULD French braid a mane since the hair was only coming from "one" side, so I always used to just do the running braid on long maned horses. Never would stay in well, and would get wavy and nasty. The French braid works so much better. I French braid my own hair all the time as well. I can braid it wet or dry, makes no difference. My hair is long enough and naturally curly (even though I straighten it) so it will hold any type of braid I twist it into without me even putting an elastic around the end to hold it there!! It really is amazing the number of people that can't French braid. It is quite easy. Oooohhhhh, I would kill for a weekend of down time!!! I'm totally jealous. That sounds divine!!! Instead, I am going to have a housefull of guests. Ah, well, that will be fun, too. Good luck with your lesson, have a blast!! Sounds like you and Beau are more than ready for it!

~Shelly~

I am so anal about clipping and manes. I keep Winston's pulled, tail banged and trimmed at the top, and always clip small bridle paths, whiskers, chin hair, fetlock hair:-) I use a spray on conditioner on tails everyday. (Yes, I need a real life:-) Beckham's mane is insanely thick, so I cheat and use clippers underneath and then pull the "normal" mane that it leaves and do button braids. I am sure he would grow out a lovely long mane, but would make his neck look way too short!!

KTS- I would have hated to try that horse on grass...ahg! Hopefully something else will catch your eye soon.

Shelly-Have fun at your lesson tomorrow! Poor little Nemo...I hope he is still there!

Boocoo-Have fun at your lesson tomorrow too! It sound like Beau is feeling awesome!

KTM-Good luck with the interviews.

Well, Ohio State football starts tomorrow...so from now until like Christmas, I have Saturday's to myself...hahahhaha! The weather here has been so amazing so everyone has been getting ridden. I had my lesson yesterday, then have one next Thurs, then two the following week leading up to the show. I start back to school that following week, so will take that week off to get my time situated. I went over this morning and took a video of a horse that my trainer has for sale. He is an upper level school master (Dutch gelding) and one of the quietest horses I have ever met if anyone knows anyone who might be interested. Very beginner friendly. I will have the video up on my youtube later this evening:-)

Ahg, I have some house work to do before I can head back out to the sunshine! Have a great weekend everyone!

Whew. A REAL 3 day weekend. YAY.

I was driving home around 12:45 and called Jill to see if she was going to ride tomorrow but she was tacking up to ride right then. So I flew home, tack was already in the already hooked up trailer, changed, grabbed Layla, brushed her, and loaded up and went to ride.

She was a little tense but not a bad tense if that makes sense. She has a lot more energy now and feels great and gets a little up but totally controlable. She was tight in the right lead canter but after working on it, she stretched down and worked into a nice gait.

I did the canter work from 1:4. She did really well. The only thing I need to work on is when we come across the diagonal, she gets heavy and I know Im doing something but not sure WHAT to exsaperate it but a few times I had to circle and come back to the diagonal for the canter trot transition. The transition from right lead to trot is really good. The one that is left lead to trot is a little sloppier because that is my weaker way.

With the trot work, I did the movements but not in exact order (I was doing 10m circles every 4-5 strides and then some leg yields, etc).

But once I got that energy channeled, she felt AWESOME.

Jill was done riding about half way through my ride so was giving me tips. It is amazing how well you can ride when you "ride like a snob and put yourself on the bit". Basically, sit up and engage your core, shoulders back, chest up, and stretching up through your neck and looking correctly with your head up and eyes up.

But Layla did GREAT. I was really happy with her. She will get tomorrow off and we will ride again Sunday.

Randy is off for a week starting yesterday. We dont have any real plans for the weekend though. I have to leave in like an hour and take Sarah's husband to the airport. They are going to NYC for the weekend.

Going to go shower and relax until then.

Smithereens, I have naturally curly hair as well. If I don't blow dry it, it looks like a perm! But.... I have to have it wet to french braid, won't stay toghether otherwise. I do not envy you a house full of people! But, I may be in the same boat at thanksgiving. Not sure yet. Hope you have/had a good lesson w/ Julie. Didn't you say you were looking for a new trainer? Ha, or was that me? Oie ve' it's heck getting old!!

Beckham, I was grooming Beau for a lesson one time at a barn I used to board at, and one of the upper level riders started teasing me that I was grooming to impress the trainer! I looked at her and said, I am suprised you haven't noticed, this is a daily routine for me. I always groom my horse and keep him clipped and presentable, I don't care of it's a trail ride, lesson or show. He will be groomed! I also keep the bridle path and fetlocks clipped. I clip under the jaw but I only shorten Beau's whiskers, I don't clip them all the way off, he gets terribly upset about that. Not the actual clipping itself, just after when he's uber sensitive nose touches anything or bumps anything, oie ve' he just can't stand it. :twitch: So yeah, you are not alone!!!

Krazy, hope the job interviews go well. Glad you had a nice ride and some down time with Randy this weekend.

Tempi ? Well you are certainly in the heart of horse land in KY!!

I've been here for about five years. I like the area, I like the way it's developing.

I understand about the braiding, I do it every time I ride to get her mane out of the way. I know I'll keep Sincere's pulled.

I highly recommond making sure you have the right tape inside your video camera before taping your ride... I ignorantly taped over my wedding reception video- [bang Head]

Oh No! :twitch: I'm so sorry to hear that, Sylves! I wonder if a "techie" could recover the old video for you? I would have no idea how to start, if such a thing is possible... {{{Hugs}}}

Well, I *tried* french braiding my hair last night... My fingers are just not that coordinated! It's too bad, because I think it would look good when I want to get my hair off my neck. I'll have to keep trying. I am not particularly coordinated or good with hair styling. Oh well, I did manage a french roll held with a banana clip. For that matter, I have a very hard time french braiding Fessor's forelock. I may have to practice that and braiding his tail.

Not too much to report from here... I am riding later today. It is a glorious weekend here in central Iowa. Highs right around eighty, not too humid, and nicely sunny. I am hoping to get to the Ren Faire while it is in town the next three weekends. It sounds like fun, and I haven't made it out to one yet. Have a good weekend, everyone!

Tracy