gaitedgirl

Got A New Twh Mare

I just brought home a new horse. She is a 9 yr old registered TWH mare. She was abused (beaten) and is under weight. Im going to slowly feed her back and work with her. When she arrived a month ago at my neighbors place she would not let anyone touch her and was terrified of everything and everyone. She was so bad my neighbor had gotten her for free, just come and take her away... We worked her very lightly on the ground a couple times but mostly just let her be and spend time in a large herd of other mares and foals. This seemed to do her a world of good, she started to come around with in a week or two . She is still frightened of quick movements toward her head and body. But she lets me touch her all over now, leads, longes, respects me and my area while on a lead. I had surgery a couple weeks ago and go back for more surgery this coming week so i have been unable to get on her myself but my friend and neighbor did ride her in a open area of the yard and accross the street in a hay field and along the road. We also had two others ride her and she acts wonderful (we just noticed we have to keep off her sides). I do 99 percent of my riding in the woods so i still need to test that out but am hopeful that will go just as well.

I have two horses all ready, my husbands half TWH gelding and my own 22 yr old TWH gelding named Bo. Bo and this mare have instantly bonded to each other and she seems to really enjoy it here at our place (we are small and quiet compared to big and louder at my neighbors who runs a boarding facility and has about 25 horses now).

Here she is , the newest member of the family :

Daisy009.jpg

My friend riding her for me while im still laid up :

SuespartyandDaisy027.jpg

My mother liking what she sees even though she is not a QH LOL

SonnyDaisyandBo006.jpg

Finally, my favorite : Splendor in the grass :

SonnyDaisyandBo010.jpg

I just love how my old guy Bo and this mare have bonded . They follow each other everywhere and stand with their heads over each others stall doors.

I looked up her Registration and pedigree and was shocked to find she is the granddaughter of multiple world grand champions. She is out of one of generators offspring and also has merry boy and his offspring and sun in her background plus several others i forget the names. When i checked out her dam and sire both were the product of multiple world grand champions, the site that had the pedigree puts a red astrick next to the horses that were grand champions and everywhere i looked there were red stars next to her ancestors (the colums around great grandparents were almost solid red astricks for dam and sires ) and they also trace back to the 1700's. Amazing how far a horse can fall from grace and how quickly it can happen. She is so loving and quiet i just cant understand why anyone would beat her. I dont understand why anyone would beat anyhorse but especially one so quiet and beautiful. She is very flashy .

Beautiful palomino. Love her coloring. She had some good blood lines with Merry go boy and midnight sun in her background.

Have a GREAT weekend

Edited by horses forever

Thanks, i agree with you about the bloodlines. I dont know a whole lot about TWH bloodlines but even i had heard of these horses... Its like the equivelent of having secretariat or seattle slew for a great grand dad LOL. There is a farm nearby me that breeds TWH's , maybe in the future i might approach them about breeding her. I have always wanted a foal but never attempted it since i want to be responsiable and keep the foal ... For now im just hoping she will be good on the trails.

OMG~!!! :drool::drool::drool:

That mare is GORGEOUS~!!!

I'm so glad to hear you got her and she has come around so well for you.

She is going to be a great horse for you because the abused ones appreciate a good owner!

Keep us posted on her and good luck with your surgery.

We difinately need more pictures of HER~!!

She is beautiful and though formerly abused appears to have a willing attitude. She ahs a very soft look about her. A nine year old is a great age to really work with and bond to. Looks like you have yourself a real find.

I just found out she was ridden in the woods on a short trail ride right before i brought her home, she did real good and had no problems. This is a huge weight off my mind. I do 99 percent of my riding on trails in the woods filled with all kinds of wildlife so it is crucial for me to have horses that are safe to ride in those conditions. I got worried when she spooked at some pidgeons in my barn and figured if she is frightened of cooing pidgeons what would she do with all the turkeys i usually see ? This info about her trailride last week is very good for her long term prospects of staying with me. I am recovering from surgery right now and going back in for another surgery day after tomorrow so the earliest i am looking to riding her myself will be late nov . Upstate ny is not very nice weather wise that time of year LOL. I was very concerned that i would keep her all these months , get hopelessly attatched and then this winter ride her for the first time myself and not be able to keep her cause she spooks and blows on trails. I will try to take some more pics of her and post them tomorrow if i can, got to do it before surgery on wed or it wont be for several weeks (hubby wont let me go to barn for weeks after the surgery on my leg LOL)

Beautiful mare! We have a wild turkey problem here also and I don't care how broke your horse is a bird that size flying out of the burshes under your feet makeing all kinds of noise is going to scare them. It scares me when it happens. We use bells attacked to the breast collars and have not had a turkey scare since. It works for us. Good luck with your surgery and hope for a speedy recovery.

That is one Gorgeous mare! Love her build, expression and color - she has the total package! Good luck with your surgery and recovery. Can't wait to see more pictures! [smiley Wavey]

I have not forgotten anybody and still plan on getting everyone some more pics. I just got home recently and the surgery (for me not the horse LOL) went real good but i have not been given permission to go all the way to the barn yet. Maybe in a day or two. I am going to put in a couple chairs so i can sit comfortable and look at them.

We have wild turkey and deer all over the place. Our two gelding do ok, when they spook they usually just freeze and flinch. Once in a while they will combine the flinch with crow hopping if it was a new super scary thing... Im going to try my best to keep the mare behind bo and or sonny (monkey see monkey do i hope).

Edited by gaitedgirl

(hide pretty pali in barn) nope shes not here...

sure is pretty I bet she will be an awesome horse.. TW's have a very strong ability to recover and be wonderful animals. though most I have met are somewhat aloof.. I havent met one who was really out to meet ya..

Oh, i find my TWH gelding Bo to be super cuddley , he loves attention and will follow me around , loves his ears scratched and he has a bonus of being well behaved (I have never had to raise voice or hand to him the entire time i have owned him).

My hubby's half TWH/QH gelding sonny is also affectionate and friendly, he often will get so jealous of the other one getting attention he will try to get between us and use his body to block Bo's view of me LOL. If he sees me walking around outside he will knicker and call me even if its not dinner time.

We dont ride daily, but do ride regularly. I go out daily and check on each animal outthere and often bring a cookie or carrot for them. so my horses come running to me when i call them real loud and obnoxiously LOL. Even the new mare will come right up to me and let me put halter and lead on her, today she even let me put some eye ointment in her puffy eye . I hope she will work out, cant wait to ride.

hmmm I wish I had the cuddly affectionate TW.. he is aloof and well he just doesnt care bout most people.. he will trade breath with me, (breathing each others nostril scent... wild horse thing) anyway I know it sounds goofy but he wont do that with anyone else.. so I figure he trusts me more.. I can ride him ANYWHERE he does good round traffic, and today is the first time he ever spooked at a dog.. funny thing him.. he has a hidden past I wish I knew where he got his ways about him from.

Thanks for all the great comments and wishes . Im slowly getting better, i was able to longe her for a bit today. She did fantastic, dog walked, running walked and then cantered for me in both directions. Only thing i have not been able to get her to do is park out. Not sure what her former owners used to cue her for it. The cue i use for Bo does not work for her. (usually i just lift up and out under the jaw with the halter and lightly touch behind the shoulder area above where the girth goes. ) when i do this bo will park right out, if i keep asking he will park out so far its a miracle he is still standing (i dont do that though cause i feel its hard on their body and is not the way its supposed to be done or look LOL). I also dont do it for mounting like alot of people think you can do, i feel its so hard on their back and joints. OFten people who ask to take bo for a ride want me to park him out for them to mount, the answer is always no. Anyway im not sure what i should try for commands to park out since i am from MI not Tn or down south where these horses are so prevelent.

Oh, also got her own pasture and run in area in the barn just for her. I can have the herd (3) all together or all seperated. I have a pasture bully so my barn and pasture was divided all ready. I will try to get a couple pics showing my setup.

as far as asking to park out, we have a TWH named Mystery and to get him to park out you have to have reins on him and hold them about 1/2-3/4 of the way UP his neck (by up i mean going towards the head from the withers), and kinda get a little bit of tension on the bit or halter and verbally tell him to "park out" if he doesnt start to park out you kinda jiggle the reins back and forth and tell him to park out and he will, this pic was taken as he was parking out not completely parked out. With this other walker i used to know, you would have to take either your foot or something like a crop or stick and tap the back of her front legs lightly while asking her to park out and she would

post-53452-1254368077_thumb.jpg

Thanks, my other walker does it the second way (just tap with crop behind legs while lifting up on the lead line, he parks right out. I think the former people used to beat her in that way cause as soon as i start lifting on the lead and tap the behind the leg area she gets white eyes and starts dancing around. Im not too concerned if she parks or not, will end up finding out by accident problabley.

She is super herd bound to my gelding now. Becoming a real problem. She is also herding him everywhere and is fairly aggressive about it in the mornings, after being out half an hour she calms down but keeps him near her all day and night. WIll start working on that tomorrow. Any suggestions ? I plan on putting her in her stall and turning out the gelding and make it where he cant get into the barn...She will likely kick down the barn LOL. Not sure how long to keep her there (all day or only an hour at a time getting longer each day ??

Hi I was reading through the posts for gaited horses because I have 2 twh. I saw the picture of your new mare she is gorgious but I was saying to my self how much she looks like my horse Payton (papa's in the pen) then came accross what you were saying about her bloodline It sems

I might have her half brother.

He is very sweet. A little nuts. He does have some bad habbits. And accident prone. I couldn't understand why some one would give him up to be sold as a trail horse. Just with his bloodline alone someone should have kept him as a show horse I think with some work he would make a great show horse. But he definatly doesn't have a bad life here. He goes for a ride once in a while with me or the kids ride him around the ring.

good luck with yours.

good luck with your surgery