Sign in to follow this  
FritzeyRIDER

Omg College

Holy crap. I thought I was going to have trouble with my personal statement for the common app. But now I just can't stop writing.

I'm worried it may get too long, but they don't specify a word limit.

Guys, don't go to college.

It's the biggest scam ever.

And there are hobos, and other things that begin with H's but I won't say the word because I don't want to be banned again.

Just my corruption for the evening.

The essays as suchhhhhhhhh a drag. Becasuse the topics are so general so naturally I feel so unfocused when I'm writing them. Seriously, how do I put it nicely that while I never had an illustrious junior riding career I one day hope to make a respectable name for myself in the horse world? It just sounds so "well I was never able to so gimmeeeeeeee!".

Oh oh! You write about how you spent your younger years building your skills and developing yourself as a person (and figuring out what you wanted to do), and now that you've done all that, you're a full person with talents who knows exactly what to do with your life and will pay off your loans and not drop out of school. You play it like it's a good thing (because, even if you don't feel like it, it probably is). You were base-building so that now you can reach even higher to your realistic-yet-lofty dreams!

Shatzl-- One of my friends goes to Chico. I've visited her. I know.

P.S. Relevant-- would anybody be interested in essay critiquing (swaps, of course)? I think HC would actually be really, really good for this because of how writing-based it is (so that's how we know each other, for the most part), as opposed to how the people we know reading it will probably have background information, be more opinionated on us as people, etc.. if that makes sense? And I've heard horror stories about 4.5 GPA, 2400 SAT students being rejected because their writing sounded too entitled/snobby/insecure!

Tara, that sounds pretty good advice! At the moment I have something like that written, and how it's so odd for a 10 year old boy to say he wants to work with horses when he grows up and it's something that I need to do...blah blah blah.

Oh I remember the days of being a senior and applying to colleges. I recommend that if you are thinking an equine program that you don't spend 30k on it. You'll be putting yourself in debt for something that you could just do as an apprentice.

When you go to college you should get a return on your investment. In other words the money that you take out in student loans or what your parents pay should be returned after graduating. You guys will be graduating from college when a lot of people will have degrees and competition for getting jobs will be tough. So you want to leave college with little debt and enter career where you can pay it off.

Just some insight for you guys.

Oh, I am going to be applying graduate school, however it will be for master's for professionals.

I would love to apply to RIT (Rochester Institute of Technology.....second to MIT), but they only have certificate in Project Management. My second choice is Northeastern Univ for Master's of Science in Project Management. It goes great with what I am doing now and will help the company grow.

Plus project management is an up and coming field.

Marie - Ahh, that's what I've been telling myself, but then I realized that with a liberal arts degree, you're screwed no matter what field you go into (unless it's grad school!), so worrying won't do anything!

Chris - Very nice! And congratulations on already having it written, haha.

Im just joining this now lol i've been procrastinating on replying and now decided too.

Anyone here going to SAIT? its in Calgary AB. haha

Im just going for photography and maybe buisness or something along those lines. We'll see when i apply haha im taking a year off first. :P

I'm not a 2010 Freshman, but I'll intrude anyway!

Another tip about essays - everyone says that you should use your sense of humor in your essay... be careful with that lol. Just don't take it too far. You don't want to come off as not really taking it seriously.

Tara has a really good idea. Have as many people read your essay as possible, have them critique it, then go back and make any changes you want to make. That helped me tons.

DON'T PROCRASTINATE. Get your applications in NOW, even if you're not applying for early decision. This will save you so much stress.

I hate application essays. Just saying. I really do.

I'm sooooooooooo excited for college though. It just hit me today how soon it is and I'm SO pumped.

Wow, I feel like I slipped by with all of this anxiety.

I transferred from a community college...though enough issues to be annoyed. Predominantly my lack of SAT/ACT which I REFUSED to take. Also my adviser did a poor job structuring what math I needed. The only thing I ended up writing was a personal statement why I didn't believe SATs/ACTs were necessary.

I feel for you guys. Don't let college break you though, this process and the rules you abide by. Be a rebel in them.

I GOT INTO XAVIER!!!

I didn't think I'd be so excited but I went on my second tour there today (BEFORE I got home to check the mail) and during the tour I was thinking, "I really, really like it here." So then I got home and saw a letter for me!

I got a $15k per year scholarship. Which will definitely be helpful.

Oh yeah, my tour guide was extremely cute and I want to marry him. But that's not important. Right now, anyway.

So happy!

I am completely and madly in love with a school. It's extremely expensive and will give me an 8% tuition grant, maybe, but if I get in there (and I really really really really want to), maybe that'd help me with external scholarship applications?

I'm completely in love. It's so nerdy that I've got butterflies in my stomach and everything. It's perfect, so perfect, especially for me.

Awwww, that's how I felt about Northwestern. I just felt like I FIT, you know? I was trucking it around that campus like I owned the place.

Finances and location are definitely working against me. And they're very stingy with scholarships. And I doubt they'd agree to move to Columbus.

i know i never post on here, but im glad im not the only one stressing over college and everything. so now i have a few other people wo understand how much i hate applications, essays, and ACTs/SATs.

ive been in this college prep type class for three years, so thats helped sooo much. they help with getting you to fill out applications and find scolarships and get fee waivers for a bunch of different schools and the ACTs/SATs. so i havent really been going it alone, but im severely ADD about, uh, everything? so i didnt realize early desicion deadlines are approaching lol

but right now, i know i want to study business. preferably sports admin or management or hospitality management, but people ive talked to said just to stick with a business degree since its such a broad degree hat can take me farther, so i guess thats what im going to do. ultimately i want to work n sports, owning a team is my main goal. i want for it to be wen i grow up and my kids in high school and thier friends are all bragging like, "oh my mom just bought me a jaguar." i want my kid to say, "oh really, cause my mom just bought me the jacksonville jaguars." i know, im a huge nerd.

i live in florida. im completely broke. so im taking full advantage of my florida bright futures scholarship. the only one i qualify for is the Vocational Gold Seal or whatever the 50% one is called, for those other florida broke peeps who know what im talking about.

currently, ive set out three applications: Johnson and Wales in Miami, USF, and UNF. i have ones for FSU, UF, UCF, and a few smaller private colleges filled out but no essays done, which is really killing me. i have nothing to write about lol but im working on it (which is why i think what shadow13 suggested is such a great idea:D)

so far i know i want to go to UNF as my first choice, i just recently visited the college friday and completely fell in love with the campus and everything. i walked n and instantly fell in love, which is what is important no? so i filled out and application on spot. i just need to send out my transcripts monday (which i have been forgetting to do for USF for weeks it seems) and the guy said they do rolling admissions so i should know pretty soon. its soo nerve racking!

uh i think im done for that speal lol

I have all of my essays done except my Purdue essay. Lame topics and I just haven't felt inspired to write it yet.

Just waiting for my dad to get back in town so he can go through them with me to double checks stuff and then they're off!

My Cazenovia application is totally complete and in. Centenary's is about 80% done. Rec letters, too.

For once in my life, I'm on top of something.

Samsies Chris! It's the best feeling ever.

I got into Southern! I find out about Georgia College and State University in December and then next semester I'll find out about UGA cuz I'm applying regular. Only two more essays until my UGA app is done. It's awesome.

Centenary. </3 I still wish I had gone there.

Awww :\

I don't love the campus, or most of the faculty, but I like the results their program has. Only reason I'm even considering going there.

Got accepted to Johnson and Wales with a full ride scholarship:) so thats my fall back school in case i dont get into a state university.

UNF doesn't want to receive my transcripts apparently. My school sent them back in October, but they never got them, so they got resent early November, still never got them. I sent them via mail last weekish. SO hopefully they got them this time.

Wont hear back from USF until December 1st-15th.

Finished my FSU essay, currently every English teacher at my school has it to review.

started UCF UF and UMiamis essays which are all about the same topic, so I'll probably mend those all together in some way.

I'm a freshmen this year at Morrisville, I'm almost done with my first semester and if you guys have any questions at ALL about college, dorms, life, whatever, just ask me.

And especially if anyone's considering Morrisville. I know it's a sort of trashy state school, but the campus from the equine facility is COMPLETELY different worlds and the equine major students...there's only freshmen who have no clue or generally bad students. They will be gone before next semester or next year because you need good grades, especially in equine management and riding classes to progress into any sort of degree in the barn and you need to have good academic grades to do a general option degree. Plus, you never have to deal with crappy campus besides core classes if you live in the Commons (apartment style dorms).

I swear I posted on this last night....

I got into my safety, which wasn't a surprise, but it was nice to get the letter in the mail! I should be hearing from my first choice, Miami (of Ohio) and then Purdue and OSU around the middle of December...and probably Findlay around that time too. Won't hear from Northwestern or Cornell 'til the spring!

Brigid, I found out two of my good friends from NY are going to UC!

So anyways, I started my UC essays two days ago. That was a really bad idea. They're due... technically tomorrow, but to be fair about it, I'll just say Monday.

It's alright, though. I'm only a couple drafts shy of final, ha.

So anyways, I started my UC essays two days ago. That was a really bad idea. They're due... technically tomorrow, but to be fair about it, I'll just say Monday.

It's alright, though. I'm only a couple drafts shy of final, ha.

I really dislike those prompts (although I dislike all college essay prompts). But I submitted my application last week and I'm feeling pretty relieved. Just need to convince myself to work on the Common Ap. Ugh.

Yeah... but the good thing about them is that there are some topics that are SO OBVIOUS that it's easy to stay away from them, ha.

I'm jealous of you already having submitted your application. (Edit: But also, congratulations. Like a lot, haha.) I finished my essays this evening, but the UC application website appears to have crashed under the weight of a state full of procrastinators. I'll probably stay up until four in the morning when the traffic decreases so I can actually get it in.

Edited by shadow13