JustRide!

I Have A Question About A Horses Hoof!

I work at a riding barn, and today I was picking out a horses hoof and saw a white substance, kinda moist and it had a bad smell to it. I cleaned it the best I could but it still stuck around (it did clear up a little as I contuined picking), im not to sure what this is. I apologize if this is confusing, im not to sure how to explainit! I hope just from that you can hopefully get an idea of what it might be.

how would I go about getting rid of this?

again im sorry if this is kinda confusing!

It sounds like thrush...did the frog look normal or was it kinda moist, black, have any pus? If it is thrush, thrush buster, coppertox, bleach, or iodine will help it...

No it was not near the frog or in it. It was just on the sole and yes it was crumbly

Probably just dead sole flaking off. If so, that's nothing to be concerned about. You can scrap dead sole off easily, and beneath it the healthy, live sole is hard and waxy-like.

Can you post some pictures?

thank you both for your replys! Ill ask the barn owner when i see her (i would of just asked her but i didnt see her friday and i dont work weekends haha)

Wild Rose, I can get pictures but not untill tuesday when i go back to work

Shamrock, the frog looked normal nothing black coming off of it or out of it.

Whether it be yeast or thrush, that bad smell tells me....treat for thrush. Does the horse have shoes on? Yes crumbly sole is sole sloughing off and cleaning it up leaves less "food" for thrush behind. Check out the frog as well. There should be no crack anywhere at the back of the hoof at all. It should merely be a thumb-like depression on top of the back of the frog. If there is a crack involved, you can be sure that infection is hiding in the bottom of that crack.

Keep your thrush treatments mild. If you treat with something caustic, it kills/burns and leaves necrotic material behind for yeast to feed on. If you have a yeast problem, you don't want to stick his foot deeper in that bucket. Clean the hoof every day and spray with vinegar to correct the pH so that thrush has no jungle to thrive in. Ramey Goo in the crack with needless syringe. No sugar in the diet. If the hoof is looking bad, frog atrophied, soak for 30 minutes in a 3" deep solution of 3tbns Borax, 2-3x/week as well.

A strong healthy frog should produce a confident heel first landing...that's what you should see.

Hope this helps! [bat Eyelashes]