Sign in to follow this  
Event those TBs

Need Some Advice As Far As Pony Injury Goes

Okay,

So to make a long story filled with a little to much emotion short, last Tuesday my mare came up lame after having 4 days off (I was out of town), last time I worked her we just did dressage.

Well the vet came out that Thursday and looked her over and came to the conclusion that it was a suspensory injury- hinting maybe a tear. I began to poultice 12hrs on, cold hose 20mins, ice 15 mins, 12hr back on. The swelling went down and today I hand trotted her to see how she was doing, she was completly sound.

Here is my predicament:

1) I am not sure I am 100% it is a suspensory injury

2) Tuesday when she was lame that ligament felt fine, it wasnt till wensday night that it swelled

3) She's completly sound now, only 1 week later

4) I dont want to give her 8 weeks off if I dont have to (she tends to hurt herself in her stall when shes not regularly worked)

5) I really dont want it to be a suspensory

So I guess I am rambling now, but I thought you guys could help out sense I am sure many of you have been her before.

Previous history: Somposivly she had a suspensory about 2 years ago, gave her 8 weeks off polticed, hoses, etc. she was still lame, and turned out there was a bone chip in her coffin joint. I got that removed and she as been sound since.

I want to possibly take her to another vet that I know of to get a second opinion.

One question I do have though, if it was a suspensory, as bad as the vet was making out, would she be sound only 1 week later after treatment?

This has really been buggin me, sorry for the ramble.

I know nothing about suspensory injuries (except for seeing some track horses being rehabbed), but when my mare had a collateral ligament strain last winter, she would be sound after just a few days off. Then, I would get back on, and maybe get 3 days of riding in before she went lame again (never head-bobbing lame, just short in one direction). So maybe your horse strained it instead of tearing it? It's hard to tell without an ultrasound. I'm surprised the vet said it was a tear without an ultrasound.

Edited by aeris

From what I know of suspensory injuries, there are 3 different kinds:

Strain- The least mild. 10 days stall rest, 1 hour hand walking, should be fine after the 10 days. (I know all of this because this is what Desi had)

Sprain- Will probably take about 30 days to completely heal

Rupture- This is the worst type. Horse could need 6 months- a year off. May never be 100% sound.

I would get another opinion from a different vet.

my horse had a slight soft tissue injury, and i gave him two or three weeks off (maybe a month, i can't remember correctly) and then he got two months rehabbing.

he was basically sound within a week, he never really even went that lame. i would do what the vet suggested or get another opinion. if you don't give the horse enough time off/rehab, you run the risk of working them on the injury before its healed, which would make the recovery time even longer.

Thanks for your replys. I believe I am going to try to arrange a time to get her ultrasounded just to see exactly what we are dealing with. I was thinking the other day and I believe I had to give her time off for a suspensory like 2 years ago in that same leg. So ouf...

Thanks guys.

Get her ultrasounded. Only way to know, and at least that way, you'd know for sure what you're looking at...then decide on a course of action from there. Less worrying and uncertainty. Good luck!