Sign in to follow this  
rodeobabe

* How To Tell If My Girl Is Prego*

Hi there, well i purchased a 6 year old roping horse mare, i have had her a month and i have noticed her belly is large and round and getting bigger and bigger. Now she is exercised 4 times per week roping and towing steers and trail riding. She gets 1/4 scoop of grain and 1 flake of hay.

Now, she has a good shiney healthy coat and has normal bowel movements etc, so i dont think its worms, but will de worm her on friday. Is there any way i can tell before i have a vet come out?

When i get a good pic i will post it.

Thanks!

pregnant or not, or well ESSPECIALLY if you think she may be pregnant. one flake of hay is NOT enough for any horse , unless you mean 1 flake of hay and a quarter scoop of grain, 4 times per day or something like that... [Question]

pregnant or not, or well ESSPECIALLY if you think she may be pregnant. one flake of hay is NOT enough for any horse , unless you mean 1 flake of hay and a quarter scoop of grain, 4 times per day or something like that... [Question]

It really isn't wise to generalize like that. I have a stallion that gets one flake of hay and no grain and is way too fat right now - he gets pasture 24/7.

I'm thinking, you need to find out if she IS in foal, so you can feed her properly....if she is, you're not feeding her nearly enough.

That's just something *I* would want to know FIRST.

ok she is on pasture all day long, gets 1 scoop of sweet feed at night and 1 or 2 flakes of hay plus water. She is a very " hot horse" so she doesnt need a lot of grain. Since there is not a lot of pasture now they get hay outside.

If she is in foal i would for sure feed her more, i just wanted to know if there was any way to tell before i call a vet to come out thats all, dont worry my horses are properly fed and well looked after, but thanks for the concern.

Information that wasn't provided in the OP.....I was going by what WAS.

Also, if she is so "hot', maybe she doesn't need sweet feed at all? Just thinking out loud.

If she is in foal i would for sure feed her more, i just wanted to know if there was any way to tell before i call a vet to come out thats all, dont worry my horses are properly fed and well looked after, but thanks for the concern.

If she is in foal, she most likely doesn't need any extra feed until about the last 3 months or so, just a good mare/foal supplement. Good pasture is a wonderful thing!

Yes i agree i should have been more clear when posting what she was been feed. She is "hot" but i think the amount of sweetfeed she is on is just the right amount.

So what is the best feed to feed a pregnant mare and how much?

Everything depends on what type and quality of pasture she is one, ditto the hay, and the amount of work vs. how easy she is to keep. There isn't an easy answer to your question. I'm quite a bit further south from you, for example, and until this year's drought, we didn't feed hay AT ALL durning the summer, and fed a commercial feed only to the horses that were working. Our broodmares stayed slick and shiney and the foals turned out great. We feed SafeChoice as a supplement for extra calorie needs as they require it, but no sweet feed. All of the horses are on a mineral mix that makes up for whatever is lacking in our pasture/hay. Good luck with your mare... Did you find out for sure if she was bred?

My horses get no hay. They're on pasture from about May to Late September/October depending on the year. They're given hay as forage when there isn't any pasture. They also get no grain at all. No supplements. They're healthy as horses so to speak....

Your mare shouldn't need more feed until the last few months in her pregnancy. She can remain in her regular work regime until she becomes uncomfortable. Varies in each mare, regular exercise will also help her with labor.

I'd get the vet to check, and then go from there.

[smiley Wavey]

we once bought a mare that was assumed pregnant. she was large and started to lactate. We thought she was going to foal on us. The next day, no foal. Called a vet and had her tested. Not pregnant, but found that other foals had been nursing on her sense there was a mare and foal with her on the other farm. You should have her tested. If anything else, a blood test could be best if she's getting really big.