Sign in to follow this  
fieldstonefarm1

Watched A Horse Trials Today

I watch the horse trials today at the BCHP and saw some awsome and awful riders. Bruce Davidson was there, Sinead Halpin and a few others. I saw Sineads stadium (she was in 1st place after dressage and went clean xc) and she is just an awsome rider. Unfortunately her horse took a rail on the last fence. She still ended up 1st though. Then there was the awful...

Some of those horses jumped like giraffe's all 4 off the floor at the same time and over the fence at the same time. It was shameful. I just don't understand how these people think that they can or should compete at these levels (novice/training) just b/c they can jump stadium jumps at home. It is dangerous and stupid. I wont start on about the trainers or so called trainers. But anyhow it was really cool to watch some really great riders. I am hoping to go to Fair Hill 3day and watch more really good riders. I will hopefully have my new camera then to take pics. the old camera died.

She was riding White Glove Adamus. She rode beautifully! Some of the other riders should have taken a lesson watching her. She inspiried my little one to begin eventing. All little Erika wants to do now is jump, jump and jump more but we haven't gotten past trotting yet. She has decided that she wants to compete my paint and sell her pony Marshmellow. I guess that I am now out of a horse. Sinead I believe moved to NJ recently. I am hoping to go to fair hill this year.

Sinead is always somewhere. Such a fun person she is!

Sounds like the little one has this whole deal figured out pretty well, eh? "Mom, I need a better horse. I know, I'll take your's.". I was such the same way!

She wants me to 'sign her up' for the next event. Big LOL!! We have to get better at the trot not to mention cantering or jumping. She is one of those go get em kids and is ready to go before she knows how to do it. I'll try get some pics of her riding him this week.

Sinead is unbelievable, what a talented rider. I would love to get some lessons from her but my horse and myself are so not in shape for it. Maybe next year?.

I would love to see pics of her! Sounds like my kind of kid. I remember when I was nine or so, I went to my first Hunter show. I had ridden Mom's All Around Paints before then. I showed in the Short Stirrup. When I came out of the ring for my last trip, I asked Mom to go add me for the Children's at 3'. I thought everyone was going to die laughing!

Sinead's riding has progressed by leaps and bounds. She has such a great feel for a horse and there have certainly been some great influences in her life recently who have helped her put it to use. She's also one of the most fun people ever to walk a cross country course with!

Edited by Always Andy

Then there was the awful...

Some of those horses jumped like giraffe's all 4 off the floor at the same time and over the fence at the same time. It was shameful. I just don't understand how these people think that they can or should compete at these levels (novice/training) just b/c they can jump stadium jumps at home.

I feel that without knowing a horse and rider's history it's difficult to challenge what is or isn't shameful. Perhaps green? First HT? Etc. And believe it or not (not sure on your eventing experience) novice is still somewhat of an "intro" level for most riders out there. Susie Beale, for instance, will run many first timers in the Novice division. Boyd Martin, and many non pros as well. I guess what I am trying to say is that @ Novice you can still expect to see mistakes without much punishment on horse or rider. Training tends to become more tactical. It's not like these rider's are running pre-lim and crashing through the jumps, you know?