Sign in to follow this  
Norcalracer88

Sassy's Training Progress

So for those of you who dont know Sassy and I have had a very interesting journy, from her terrible wreck her first time saddling, to troubles with a bad trainer, to agression issues, then to working with very well known trainer Ken McNabb at this years Western States Horse Expo, to thinking about selling her, then not and now here we are 7 months later from when I bought her and boy have we grown.

The things I have learned as a rider, trainer, horse owner have been unforgetable(sp?). We have both grown so much and I am so very proud of Sassy and myself for where we are now. We hit a great milestone yesterday and lady's and gentlemen would be Sassy's First RIDE!!!! She was amazing. I wish I had my camera yesterday. She made me so proud.

Today was Sassys Second Ride and we did some walking around. Here are the photos from today (sorry they are in black and white I thought I changed the setting before I gave the camera over to my mom but new acrylic nails makes pushing tiny buttons pretty hard haha)

Some may be blurry, my mom hasnt quite figured out the new camera

Haltering her back up after lunging her in the RP and going to get the mounting block

s5030088.jpg

s5030089.jpg

s5030090.jpg

s5030091.jpg

s5030092.jpg

s5030093.jpg

s5030094.jpg

More to come dont post yet!!!

Edited by Norcalracer88

congratulations on the first and second rides! It is so nice to finally hit the big milestones and feel like you are actually getting somewhere!

great job!

Just remember when your halfway on her back like that keep that head turned towards you at all times. This way if she goes to move you can pull her head to you instead of her taking off with her head and catching you with her hind.

Looks like your off to a great start.

Just remember when your halfway on her back like that keep that head turned towards you at all times. This way if she goes to move you can pull her head to you instead of her taking off with her head and catching you with her hind.

Yup! I was going to say that too. When you are laying sideways like that, REALLY be in tuned to how she is acting and feeling. Granted, she looked pretty relaxed but you never know. Just always be ready to turn her, or dismount or whatever, so you don't fall on your head.

You are wearing a helmet!!!!! [Not Worthy] I LOVE to see that!

I don't know your guys' history, but she looks SO relaxed in all the pictures and that is a great, great sign.

Nice work and congrats!

Thank you Beau! Before I broght her where we are now she always had a negetive attitude about everything, always pinning her ears swishing her tail and having a kink in her tail when ever we worked with her, but with my new trainer Sassy is so much more relaxed and willing to do things I love it.

My new trainer wont let me work with young horses without a helmet so i wear one. I never used to but after a girl at our ranch got bucked off a few weeks ago and cracked her helmet all the way to the center I thought dang that could have been her skull then i thought DANG that could have been MY skull. so I wear one now.

Today was ride number 3!! She was great we worked on asking her to move her feet and get unsticky with them and it got to where she started moving out really well.

Just thought I should give an update. Sassy and I have graduated to riding with the saddle now and she is doing way better then what me and my trainer expected. My only thing is how do I get her to move with out spanking or using a whip? what my trainer has me doing with her now is just beign a passenger and having sassy follow her around just toget her to move then once she is better with that she will start sending us around. My task for the next few times I ride is to ride bareback again and just get her to walk out with more energy and Im having some issues and not quite sure how to get it from her. What my trainer told me to do is to tip her nose to which ever direction I want her to go in and creat energy in my seat by kind of wiggling my butt and rocking I can get her to take maybe one or two steps but nothing with any real energy so what should I do. Im looking for any ADVICE i can get

Thanks!

Sarah and Sassy

When I ride green horses I like to have split reins or a lead rope with a leather popper on my saddle horn. I squeeze once or twice, cluck once or twice, then use my prop. I take up the tail of the rope and I very gently "over and under" mostly smacking my own leg. Then I increase energy until the horse takes a step forward. I don't mind if they rush forward (any forward motion at this stage in the game is good and will be rewarded) as long as they are moving forward and not panicking. The moment they take a step forward I remove the pressure. In the event the horse panics I'd pull their head around to stop them. But most of the times if you prepare them correctly on the ground they will not panic. They might "worry" but that's only because they are out of their comfort zone and usually want to do what's right.

On a side note, I would only use this method if the horse 100% accepts ropes around it's body. If not, you'll want to desensitize beforehand. It is also necessary that your horse relates clucking with moving forward.

Good luck!

Edited by Running_Free

If your horse is now "Saddle" broke Norcal then I first want to suggest that you use it. You don't want to get preoccupied with your seat and balance while you are teaching her to go using a variety of pressure. She may well over react a bit and if you startle her with a loss of balance after a "spank" it will be counter productive to what you are trying to teach her. Like your helmet, think of it as a safety measure. I love to ride bareback but I usually reserve that pleasure for seasoned, steady horses.

Running Free has described how to ask already. Soft cue first, always. Don't think of the "tap" or "spank" behind the drive line as a request for movement but as more of a correction for ignoring you. Squeeze, then cluck, then tap. When she moves off, for more energy from her put more energy into your seat. You should be setting the pace by how you move your hips. A fast walk requires faster action from your seat while a slow one is suggested by a soft relaxed seat from you. I do agree that a horse can feel this better without a saddle between you but she will still need to learn it through the leather. Trust me, she'll feel it just fine. She just needs time to learn what it all means.

If your instructor is on the ground while you work on this, try and coordinate your request for movement with her. You squeeze (and say so) then cluck, then SHE can raise the pressure behind your horse's drive line. Do this if she is available because that will help make it very clear that your horse needs to move.

Have fun!

William (historyrider)

A destination usually helps this kind of horse, Norcal. She's smart and a constant diet of the Round Pen is boring.

Get on out of there and give her a place to go.

Sometimes .... if you're having trouble getting one to untrack, taking their heads from side to side (not bending her up into your lap, just getting her to shift her weight from one front foot to the other and back) will 'unstick' them.

Keep up the good work.

wow I just realized! You and Sassy live not too far from me!(I'm in Marysville Other side of Sacto) and I went to the Horse Expo too! Are you say'n your horse was one of the demo horses? I can't tell from the B&Wt Pix,I watch'd several of those Demos w/ the Likes Of Stacy Westfall too very cool! and There was another Guy I don't remember his name but he did ground work stuff...good info! AND! you did the same thing I did with your filly too as far as bareback,My daddy taught me that too Seems like a Century ago!I like how you can read them better,at first.....But after my Filly even after 60 days of my trainer and me getting on bareback walking around indoor arena, she pop'd me off on my butt! So watch it! My filly was very calm too!it only takes a second!And she'll get the forward thing mine did pretty quick,and we did do out to our fluffy hay field,and we had no problem,there was much more to look at! and saddle for sure that time

Thanks everyone for the advice! It has really helped! My trainer now has me using a string with a leather popper at the end now to help. I over under it on my legs to get her to walk off and if that doesnt work I tap her behind for added incentive to move. So now we are walking and trotting with energy in the round pen. We will be graduating to our big play pen tomorrow if the weather holds out long enough for me to get all my cleaning out of the way first.

So far I have ridden her twice in the saddle and about a dozen times bareback. I am riding her bareback still cause she is still having some slight resentment towards the saddle so my trainer told me we're taking time so we dont add the stress of having to deal with the saddle and me at the same time, but that was about a week ago and since then she is doing much better and I think tonight was our last night riding with no saddle.

I really appreciate all the advice you all have given me especially you Historyrider, you always seem to know the right words to put together that make the most sense to me so thank you.

Honeysmom- Sassy was Ken McNabbs demo horse for his ground work demo that friday. Here is a photo of Sassy with Ken

100_5076.jpg

Now on to some updated Sassy training pics sorry there are so few my batteries dies =[

These are before I got on her

s5030532-1.jpg

s5030533.jpg

s5030534.jpg

s5030535.jpg

s5030536.jpg

s5030537.jpg

one more post so give me a sec before you post....

Very nice Norcal! I like Ken and his show but he is one of the clinicians I still have yet to meet. I'm sure he helped get Sassy going well for you. I'm glad you are confident and helped Sassy through her adjustment to life under saddle and riding. I think I would have done the opposite stratedgy of letting her get used to the saddle first, just wearing it for extended periods, and then you sitting in it but as is often pointed out, there are many roads to Rome. She seems well on her way to becoming a good riding horse. Congratulations to you.

William (historyrider)

Thank you William. Ken was very helpful that day, I just wish I had more time to speak with him but being who he is he hardly had time to sit and chat with his own wife.

A new clinician I have met as of yesterday was Richard Winters. He is an amazing tainer and clinician. I learned alot from him and I am so excited for next may he is having a clinic at my ranch! He and my trainer are apparently really good friends and have known each other for quite some time. So if you ever see him having a clinic near you I sugest you go take a look he made alot of sense.

Sassy had another ride tonight and it was the first time in our big arena and she did really really well. I am so proud of her. Richard told me I have to have her broke by the time he comes out here in May so I can ride her in his clinic. Ugh I love this horse. haha

Richard Winters is a great trainer, he posts quite a video videos on youtube as well. Be sure to look them up if you get a chance!

Hey Guys, thought it was about time for a new Sassy Update!

Rode her yesterday she was amazing and it was raining! She was so good. This filly has so much try in her its not even funny. My trainer and I think things are finally starting to click with Sas in that its ok to wear the saddle and carry me and she not worried about it anymore. We did walk and trot in the roundpen and she was great she was so relaxed. She would walk and trot with her head nice and low almost like a WP horse. We didnt push her too much cause it was raining and we could tell she was trying to keep her face out of the rain. So we didnt work her for very long since she was being so good. My trainer doesnt want her having any bad times right now with me on her. She says once we get her w/t/c we will start doing more and asking a bit more from her. We will also start ground driving her with the bit soon.

Im so excited! Slow and steady wins the race!

I think back on when I thought she was too much for me and that we wouldnt be good tegether and how I put her up forsale (a few times haha). I just know I would have been devistated if I had sold her. This girl isnt going anywhere I love her to death. I would have been kicking myself in the a** if I had let her go. Oh boy am I greatful to have her.

Edited by Norcalracer88

So new Sassy update. We are walking...trotting...and now loping!!!!! She's exceeded my expectations once again! Shes is probably the smothest ride at the lope ever. Our only issue now that we're over all the other ones is when I ask for the lope she'll reach around and try to bite but whiles she's doing this her ears arent pinned and she doesnt look like she's mad which makes me think she just doesnt know how else to respond.

So how should aI approach this new behavior and how do I get her over it? Right now IM just ignoring it and if she gets close enough I bump her nose with the tip of my boot as if she hit herself and not me. Am I doing ok?

So sassy is doing great. we are working on changing directions at the walk and trot. Once we (sassy and I) get more comfortable at w/t/c we will graduate to the big arena for the remainder of our training.

She is just so willing its great. I love her to death!

Anyways here are some new pictures of sassy

111009133.jpg

111009134.jpg

Her gorgeous face

111009174.jpg

111009180.jpg

tonight after a good ride

111009195.jpg

111009217.jpg

111009218.jpg

Pretty horse. Thank you for the update NorCal. I wouldn't worry to much about the playful head games and honestly I would do just what you are doing with your boot. If she whips around there, just let her run into your foot. I suspect she will quit doing it on her own with more practice.

William (historyrider)

Thanks William.

Today is hers and my day off out of the week. I work her 6 days a week for roughly 35-45min each time working on walking, trotting, cantering, and now direction changes. Next week we'll have her start carrying a bit. Not attaching anything to it but just having it on and getting uses to it while I work her without pulling on it to confuse or upset her. Only she carries it and gets more accepting we'll start ground driving then after a day of two of that we start attaching the reins and asking a little mroe of her.

My goal is to have her going really good and consistant by may to ride her in the richard winters clinic we are hosting at our ranch. Im so excited!!!

so i feel kinda bad I havent been on sassy in about 4 days. I just havent had time for her and I feel terrible. I am going to work her tonight so hopefully she hasnt forgotten everything lol.

bet your feeling like a million bucks right now. nothing like overcoming obstacles and acheiving a goal that you only dreamed about.

keep up the good work, don't rush it though. don't want to spoil the fun your having.

RRRR