Sign in to follow this  
Norcalracer88

Sassy's Training Progress

Thanks Robrob I really do.

New update! Sassy and I had our first adventure out side of fenced arenas! I took her on a little trail ride around our property! We did some trotting in the open sand dressage arena and rode over bridges and over logs and almost over a tarp haha through the paddocks over the deep gravel road! Ugh I couldnt be more proud of her!

I have also began to introduce the bit while I ride her. I put it on under her halter and just let her carry it I dont attach anything to it i just still used to halter to ride with. I dont want to start attaching reins until she is comfortable carrying it.

Anyone have any advice on with young horses and teaching them to accept the bridle and bit?

Hopefully I'll have some pretty cool action shots of me and sassy tomorrow. Now that my brother moved back home I can spare my mom cutting off my head with the camera and he'll be my new photographer haha (I LOVE YOU MOM) oh great now I just know she'll ready this hahahaha

Anyways its time for me to hit the sack!

Happy Holidays everyone!!!

One thing you can do to help a horse adjust to a bit. With just the headstall and bit (no reins), put it on and put her in a stall or pen with a little bit of feed and water. They learn that they can still eat and drink with a bit on and many that fight with a bit early on feel less trapped with one in their mouth.

I prefer to just put a bridle on with a snaffle bit and do basic groundwork exercises like giving to pressure. If they fight it, just stick with them until they calm down and do not release the pressure until they do. I don't remember any specifics on your mare about why you haven't used a bridle yet.

When I first got my gelding, he was a nightmare on the ground. I put him in a D-ring snaffle and just asked him with a single rein to give to pressure to the side. He freaked out. I got into a battle of wills with him but stuck with him, maintaining the pressure, until he quit and gave me his head. Alot of praise immediately followed. I did it to both sides and within fifteen minutes I had him giving his head in either direction without any issue.

She's had alot of issues with the saddle so my trainer an i wanted to get her over that before starting to use a bit.

New update!!

Sassy was great today. For the first time I didnt have to spank her to w/t/c!! She's almost a broke horse!! We also walked around the property and over the bridges and over tarps again.

Here are some new pics. Found out today that my mom is a better photographer than my brother....ugh so sorry they are so blurry and in blk n wht

112309025.jpg

112309027.jpg

112309028.jpg

112309029.jpg

112309034.jpg

sassy being frisky

112309035.jpg

112309040.jpg

more pics comeing wait to post!

112309043.jpg

112309044.jpg

112309045.jpg

totally my bad I grabbed the reins when I asked her to stop instead of letting her do the work. Sassy has an amazing stop already. All I have to do is sit deep say whoa and she tucks and drags her butt at any and all gaits, so how she looks in this is all my bad for grabbing the reins and getting in her way

112309053.jpg

this one is a little better even though she looks like she is stopping on her front end. Once she and I get more ballanced and she gets further along in her training and we really start focusing on her stopping I think we'll get that really good I may just try and get her going to do some reining haha

112309056.jpg

riding into the sunset

112309058.jpg

more pics wait to post

sassy and I on the tarp (again sorry they are so blurry)

112309067.jpg

112309068.jpg

112309069.jpg

I think I have the saddle up way to high on her, I'll make sure I adjust that next time I ride her

112309070.jpg

112309071.jpg

112309072.jpg

112309076.jpg

almost done

Beautiful filly! I'm glad she's doing so well for you. That's wonderful. How old is she again, 3? How did she do with the trainer for the clinic?

Haha. Was is Richard Winters or Ken McNabb? Sassy worked with Ken. She did really good. Better than he expected for a demo horse hahaha...what was I supposed to do not work her for 2 months before the clinic lol I could have but she would have turned into the shedevil if I hadnt worked with her.

Anywho, I rode sass yesterday and tonight and she is doing so much better. Her steering has improved greatly and she is getting more conssistant in the gaits I ask her to do and I love it. I'll have a broke horse in no time!!!!

Sassy is going to be famous!!!!

Haha not really but I wish.

Im in school right now to get my cosmetology licence and one of our projects is to create a mock salon and do 2 ways of advertising so I made a comercial feturing me and sassy!!! My salon is western themed so when you hear the name thats why haha. Anyways im just waiting for PB to upload it then I will post it!

Thanks Bandito. Its going to be interesting presenting it to a room full of city folk and ghetto people lol they're really cool, but im like the only counrty gal in the place lol im the only Sarah in the entire school too so im an Original lol

Ah 2010 is off to a great start! Loosin weight and riding Sassy! She has been great the last few times I rode her. She's been pretty sore lately my trainer thinks she had some scare tissue built up from her accident last year and its finally starting to break up now that I have her in consistant training now and to just keep riding her to keep it broken up and she'll work her soreness(?) away. Its funny how only about 3 1/2 months ago she wouldnt even let me put the saddle on her to now being able to take her on trail rides around the vineyards and playing over our tiny little excuse of a crosscountry course haha(no jumps higher then like a foot and I dont do them but ever once in a while to get her picking up her feet better.)

I really love this horse Im just happy as can be knowing that even though we had our rough patches and people didnt believe she was worth it I kept fighting for her and I to work and we do. I dont think I have ever had the same connection with any other horse I have owned as I do with sassy. We just get each other.

Anways Im off to work at the ranch. I'll have some new videos and pictures to upload later today!

Happy New Years to all my HC friends!!!!

Here are a few new sassy pics the ones with the blue wraps are the first time she's worn them and the red ones are from today. Im uploading video to youtube now so Im just waiting to post those which might be tomorrow.

10410014.jpg

10410015.jpg

10410019.jpg

10410018.jpg

So just thought I would give a quick update on Sassy and I. We are doing great!

ok thats it......

haha just kidding. Sassy is doing really well now. We are working on collection and moving her shoulders, ribs, and hip. My trainer is also helping me teach her to spin so thats alother project we're working on. I havent been able to take her out to the trails for a while due to the ground being way too soft after the rain we've been getting and the vineyard ownersd get mad when they see the deep hoof prints hahaha.

Me and a friend will be hailung the horses to some gymkhanas here pretty soon so im excited to start taking her out there.

Anyways here are 2 videos of her and I and a few new pics from today. I Hadnt ridden her for about a week so I thought I should lunge her before I got on and took these as she was walking around so nice and low

sassy4.jpg

sassy1.jpg

sassy2.jpg

sassy3.jpg

Videos....

Once the rain clears and the ground dries up some i am going to have my mom video me riding her out in our little cross country course playing around.

ENJOY!!!

Edited by Norcalracer88

Wow! she has come along ways with you. You two look grea.t Advice I can give you, unless someone else has said.

When riding in trot, I realized your hands arebumping her nose just a litttle bit... so lower your hands to the saddle horn, and even with the horn. Maybe their at that height cause she's still green, so I understand that if that's why you had it like that.

Great job with her!

So Sassy is doing great. I have some new videos I need to post once I get them uploaded.

I got some disheartening news the other day....my trainer doesnt think Sassy will make it as a barrel horse and i'm starting to agree with her. She just doesnt seem to have it in her t want to go fast. My trainer thinks she would make a better WP horse then to do any kind of speed events on her. Im really sad and confused I dont know what to do now. I love sassy, but i want to compete in speed events mainly barrels and I dont know if I should sell her or what right now. I hate this. I dont like playing this back and forth game of to sell? or not to sell? I need help! Someone tell me what to do!!!

[surrender] [Me Cry] :confused0024:

Only you can make the decision to pursue her barrel career or not. I will share my experience though. My current barrel horse was a very lazy young horse. Everyone thought he could care less about running, they were wrong however. The whole reason I was able to buy him was because they didn't think he'd make a running horse. He is a very easy going individual unless he knows were running. Even warming up at a show he's nice and calm until I let him know it's almost our turn. He peps up when I give him the cue and when we finish our run he generally goes back to being cool and collected. I don't know if you're basing your decisions on her ability to run or her personality or whatever just thought I'd share my experience. I should say that I'm not saying you shouldn't listen to your trainer, just that some horses take longer to pan out than others. If you feel she won't make a barrel horse due to conformation or other health issues, that's a whole different ball game.

ETA: I should add that trying to make a horse something it's not going to be is not fun and if you really know that she won't make it and you aren't going to be happy with a WP horse then you should sell.

Edited by LisaQuincy

Thank you lisa, I've seen her run out in the pasture flat out and she was quick maybe to do 3D or 4D, but I want to run pro eventually. Sassy is just not interested in any kind of fast paced work. My trainer told me to take her out on our private road and see what she'll do So I guess I will make my decision after this weekend. I dont want to sell her but if she isnt cut out to be a runner and I really want to run I cant afford to keep her and a new horse that would be a better choice for what I want to do. Maybe I can talk my mom into taking her as her trail horse haha but in all seriousness I love sassy and she's a great horse, but i dont think she's going to be cut out for barrels.

So I made a really hard desision today...I put Sassy up for sale. I have decided that it would be wrong of me t get another horse while i still have her because i want to run barrels and its just jnot going to be sassy's thing. I woukd rather her go to someone who will use her to her potential that be put on the back burner while I work and show another horse.

Its been a depressing day :mecry:

so instead of changing the horse, why dont you change disciplines? this horses bloodlines are for cow work, not western pleasure. but if you want to do barrels i think Sassy will understand! you've come along way with Sassy! hope everything works out for the best kiddo! love your spirit! [Huggy]

How old is she again? Why don't you wait a few years and see what she can do? She may not be interested in it now, but later, yeah.

I made a hard decision and put my 4 year old paint up for sale. I've gone far as i can in his training, plus he needs a more experienced trainer/rider.

ETA: You and here are getting along sooo well, and you've come far in her training, see what she has later, if she's three?

Edited by El Bandito

She is 4 now. I love her i really do and i know we've come along way. If I had my job right now I would keep her and buy another. I want to dabble in all diciplines but my passion is and always has been barrel racing. I'll keep her on the market for now and see what sort of offers I get on her and If I cant get anything I like then guess I will take her off. I just miss racing and I want to get into it like big time. eventually its all I want to do I want to be getting big enough to be able to quit working a 9 to 5 and just haul to races granted if i run and Im not in the money then i'll be SOL but horses and running the pattern and doing gymkhanas is my life long passion. I wish I could do it with Sassy, but it just wouldnt be fair to try and run when she doesnt want to run.

if that makes any sense lol

So I thought I should give a new update on Sassy and I.

We're doing really good. Im holding off on selling her until the spring cause then she'll be further along in her training and I might have a better chance on getting what im asking for her when she's all glossed up and not looking like a shaggy mamoth lol.

So far we've been working on getting more forward impulsion and moving her shoulders and hips around. Also have been working on a foundation to build her turn arounds on and she's doing really well on that. Her stops are getting better day by day. IM probably going to go next door and see if they will let me ride in their arena cause its bigger and better footing and fenced so I can get her stops going a little better.

anyways thats it for now. Im going to try and get some updated video and pics to share this weekend.

Take care ya'll!

You guys look great and like you are making tons of progress! Keep up the good work! :)

Question-How big is your round pen? Do you know the diameter and the circumference?

Im not sure. But I know its bigger then your average 50' or 60' cuz we have alot of drafties and warmblood size horses at our place and a 50' or 60' rp just wouldnt cut it plus the pannels are i think 6' tall so sassy makes it look kinda bigger.

Thanks though. We are making alot of progress, she has come a long way from when I first got her. Our 1year annaversary is coming up on the 22nd so Im pretty excited about that!

Almost cant believe its almost been a year since I've bought her. She's just a completely different horse now. Im gonna get some new photos this weekend and post her pic from when I bought her and from how she is now haha. Its such a difference to me.