Sign in to follow this  
Norcalracer88

Sassy's Training Progress

So me and sassy hit a few new mile stones last night. The one Im really proud of is she is neck reining now! Some others is counter bending at walk and trot and also keeping her nose turned into any turn at w/t/c! Im super excited and just thought I should share that before i head off to another day at school!

Take care and have a wonderful day guys!!

So sassy has been doing good lately Im really happy where we are now. We have been riding about 6 days out of the week but now she's sick and I dont want to ride her until she's better. I just hate riding her when she's coughing so bad and its been getting progressively worse. Vet is coming out this week to check her out and perscribe antibiotics. We're about 99.9% sure sassy has a gutteral pouch infection.

Think happy thoughts she makes it to a fast recovery!

wow nothin? ok then maybe a few new pics to entice some response....

Pics from today our one year anniversary

32210163.jpg

32210165.jpg

32210029.jpg

32210018.jpg

32210047.jpg

Few more posts to come so let me get them all in before anyone starts posting....

32210115-1.jpg

32210122.jpg

the other girls thought I was gonna ask them to move again so they all took off when all i was going to do was see sassy since she stayed by the gate so its like shes looking at them like "you guys are stoopid lol all she wanted was to give me scratches" lol

32210124.jpg

32210120.jpg

love this pic

all done post away if ya want to

Edited by Norcalracer88

Sassy is gorgeous, those are some great pics! I love the second to last one with her face up close. So, have you finaly decided yet what you want to do with her?

haha thats like the never ending question in my head right now, but im pretty sure im just going to make her an all around horse. I'll probably do reined cowhorse on her mainly, but dabble in everything for fun and points. I'll be registering her with ABRA this summer so i'll be able to get points in both AQHA and ABRA when I start showing. In a few weeks I plan on taking her to a reining show and do like the green as grass class to start with. The only things I need to work on now are roll backs, lead departures, spins, and flying changes she learns so quick I know it will be easy for her to figure these out. Her stops get better and better each day. Im just waiting a few more weeks before I start riding her in our neighbors arena and get some sliders put on her and asking a little more. Im really excited though since I've done all her training. I'll be leaving in about 7 months for bootcamp (decided its time for me to sign up...elisting to the Marine Corps) While Im gone I have a friend who trains working cow and reining horses I'll send her there for more finishing and fine tuning and have him take her to shows while Im away. I dont plan on selling her any time soon so its fine with me having him train her and show her for me as long as I get to ride her in her first show while Im still here. Im going to get some more pictures and video of me riding her this weekend so be keeping an eye out for those sunday or monday.

g'night everyone.

So just incase ya'll we're still reading this.....just thought i'd give an update...

Sassy still has her cough, but was seen last monday by our vet and so far the diagnosis is that she has a throat infection, kind of like when we get strep throat is what my vet said. So we have her on Tucoprim. Today was day 3 of treatment so we're hoping to start seeing some improvements there.

I am still riding her (vet gave the ok for riding). SHe's doing alot better. She's giving her nose alot better neck reining is getting better and we are working on getting her to turn just by using my seat and she picked up on that real quick. I've been working on the reining pattern for a little while now and she's almost got it down. We dont really do the same thing over and over I dont want her to get bored with it and not want to do it anymore. So things we have down so far are: Small slow and big fast, sliding stops, roll back and lead departures, and backing up. Spins are getting better havent asked to speed it up yet and I dont really wantt o until we get her shoes on and she's had a chance to get used to them for a bit. Lead changes I havent started to work on cause IM waiting to have a lesson with my trainer on those cause I dont want to mess her up by asking the wrong thing.

Anyways we have hit s bump in the road that I would like some advice on...she has gotten in the habit with right lead that when I ask for her to pick up RL canter she'll act like she'll go into it then slam on the breaks and toss her head up....a easy way for me to describe it is to reference the animated movie Spirit Stallion of the Cimmaron...when he's at the military camp and the soldiers are trying to break him and Spirt goes and stops and throws his head up and wacks the guy riding him with his head to get him off...well thats pretty much what Sassy does. I can move her on and get RL, but so far she never fails and tries it everytime I first ask for RL...Any ideas on how I can get her to stop this behavior?

Sorry its been such a long time since I've posted School had me doin 13hr days 4 days a week i hardly had enough time to sleep. Well now that im done and graduated! I've had alot more time to play with sassy.

She's doing really good with everything her stops are getting better and better but I havent really been working on them since she's still barefoot and I havent put any sliders on her yet she's got her roll backs and lead departures down her flying changes need just a bit more fine tuning and her spins are still a work in progress. We've actually been having some difficulties with them.

So when I ask for a spin I start by taking her in a train track circle then spiraling down when I stop asking for forward motion and cross over. To the left she's good but to the right she fights and drops her shoulder and backs up and hops around. To the left she keeps her back foot planted and crosses over the front great. Im going to try and get some video so you guys can see what Im talking about. any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've also started her on the barrel pattern and she's great doing it like she's an old pro our only issue is still to the right and her wanting to rush and drop her shoulder. when correct her and pick it up she is good but as soon as I release she drops it again. we walk trot and every now and then we'll do a slow lope on the pattern Im not worried about speed so I havent asked for any.

anyways thats what we're up to. take care!

Hey ya'll! I have some new news...some bad some good. So I'll start with the good news first, I moved Sassy back to the ranch where I learned how to ride as things at my previous place were getting worse with drama. She was really good I rode her same day I took her there she was a little worried but overall for being in a new place she did really good. She didnt quite know what to do with herself when we were walking past the miniature donkey and goats though haha.

Today was a totally different story though. For the last few weeks Ive been having issues with sassy and getting her to turn on her haunches to the right (ie spinning) She will just fight and spin and lean on the bit and throw her shoulder out. Well the lady who owns my ranch has been using this lady to do body work on her lesson horses and she was out today working on horses. So I asked her if she could just do a quick evaluation on Sassy to see if she has anything out or wrong with her and how bad. I was mainly concerned with the fact that Sassy has had a chronic cough for almost the entire time I've owned her. I found out that she has something viral going on inside her that is causing the cough. So she told me to put her on an immune booster to help her fight what ever it is off. So she started her evaluation at her head and neck and she saw nothing and I thought that was a good sign. THEN she got to her hips and oh boy I didnt realize how bad it was until I went behind Sassy myself and checked how unbalanced her hips were. She was really bad. I felt even worse cause I didnt have any money to get her worked on so I told the lady I would have to wait till the next time she came out to get Sassy worked on but she hit me hard by saying if I waited that long then I should stop riding Sassy cause I would end up making it worse. She told me that had she not re aligned Sassys hips she would have been in need of injections in her hips, hocks, and stifle and unrideable by the time she was 12. Sassys stifle was so sore from her hips being out that as soon as the lady touched it sassy tried to kick the lady. I felt so bad I started to cry. I love my horse and had I known what she was dealing with I would have had it worked on alot sooner.

So needless to say I love this lady and I learned alot by watching her work on the horses and just watching the crazy amazing changes in the horses she worked on seeing them before and after they were completely different horses by the time she was done working with them.

Anyways its been a while since I've posted some new sassy pictures so here are a few from today...

now on to photos

5510072.jpg

5510078.jpg

5510095.jpg

5510109.jpg

5510118.jpg

5510142.jpg

5510146.jpg

Thats it for now. I have more I just didnt feel like uploading 159 photos on to PB tonight hahaha

Edited by Norcalracer88

So im not sure how many people read our post anymore, but I like to keep updating it anyways.

Sassy and I are doing really well. Her training is getting better every day. I started introducing her to the flag cause me and some friends have decided to try out for the local drill team. She could careless about it. I can ride w/t/c/g with the flag and she is great with it. I got a few pictures but my friend isnt a photographer by any means so they're kinda dark and blurry but you'll get the picture haha

So yeah wish us luck on at the audition! Oh yeah Sassy and I will also be riding in this years 4th of July parade with a few more friends and horses but we get the honor of carrying the american flag! We're super excited!!! I'll have pictures that I'll post for sure!!

61610021.jpg

61610023.jpg

61610024.jpg

61610027.jpg

61610026.jpg

61610025.jpg

sassy's opinion on working lol

61610039.jpg

Edited by Norcalracer88

I have been following your posts so I just wanted to say your are doing awesome and I love Sassy's color!

I have always wanted to ride with a flag- I think when I get back to riding I will have to teach my horses this...... :smilie: the arab mare might have a heart attack tho :indifferent:

I thought I saw in another post by you (it might not have been you though) that you were selling Sassy? maybe not.....

Good Luck and have fun!!

DJ

DaisyeyedJo-I do still have sassy on the market but im in no hurry to sell her. If I dont get a buyer by next month or by the time I have a job I will take her off and keep her.

Dressage Diva- Her hips were realigned I think about a month ago and the body worker showed me some tricks to keep her in place. I do these before and after I ride or work her and so far she's stayed aligned. I will have Sassy worked on again next time the body worker is out.

New sassy update....SHES GETTING FAT!!! ugh hopefully its cause she's finally beginning to fill out haha *wishful thinking I guess haha*

So Sassy is in the middle of a growth spurt....butt high and getting ribby so i've upped her feed intake to a flake of alfalfa in the am 1/2lb scoop of pellets with 11/2 cups of Omegatin for lunch and a good thick flake of grass hay in the pm.

Her training has hit a point where all we're having is awesome rides. I finally got a good saddle that fits her like a glove. I've been working her on the patterns for Gymkhana and shes like an old pro. For a while we were having some issues turning to the right on barrels where she would keep dropping her inside shoulder , I figured out that I have to keep my leg on her through out the turn to kind of help support her through her turn and since I found that out she's turning great. Im taking her to out first 3day Gymkhana show next month. Im so excited!!! I'm going to get a video of me praciticing barrels at home and post in a few. I walk her trot her and do a slow lope around the pattern I havent asked her for any speed at home Im saving that for the shows.

Ive been following your posts since the beginning, and its really great to see how you both have grown up! its just fun to see how awesome she is. she really is an amazing looking horse.

hey how is her cough? my old man has allergies to dust over summer, and he gets a little bit of a cough when i ride him,but it goes away about 5 minutes into the warm up(he doesnt cough when hes just in his run) but i started using this all natural cough ease stuff( its liquid, called cough ease lol) and i give him about 3/4 an ounce before i ride, and it really helps alot, it clears up the cough almost instantly, if hers isnt better, maybe you could try some of it! it just helps to keep the throat lubricated and less irritated!

I might have to try some of that. She still coughs some days its only after we ride some days she has a coughing fit during a ride right when we pick up the lope. Its different all the time but it doesnt seem to bother her. I think its worse when I have given her a few days off then go back to riding. When she's in consistent work she doesnt cough all that much. I dont think its allergies anymore since she's had the cough year round since last august.

Her coughing could be caused by dust kicked up when being ridden if she is ridden in a dirt/sand area. Do you feed her before you ride? If so, make sure you wait at least an hour before riding because when a horse's stomach is full of food, their lungs can't expand properly during exercise to allow them the oxygen they need, which can also cause her to caugh. Good luck with her, and keep us updated!