Sign in to follow this  
canteroncanvas

T-boots, Eskadron, Lami-cell, Etc

How do you guys feel about open front boots? I am looking for some new boots that I can use with Echo when I work her out in the x-c field (not doing more than a jump here or there for fun, really just flat schooling out there), which has wood chips in the footing. Her Classic Equines collect the chips, as do her dressage boots with fleece lining, so I'm looking at some of the hard shell open fronts with polyurethene outer shell and gel or foam liners, with ankle hinds.

I don't see too many dressage riders using them, but I really like them and don't see why not. Thoughts?

Edited by e.s.dressage

When I use to jump I used a pair of ovation lami-cell tendon boots. I just loved them! they really absorbed the impact on my boys tendons. But when I went back to barrel racing I switched to classic equine legacys, and sold the tendon boots.

When I use to jump I used a pair of ovation lami-cell tendon boots. I just loved them! they really absorbed the impact on my boys tendons.

Tendon boots won't support tendons. They are helpful only if the tendon area is struck by another hoof, etc

That being said, lots of dressage riders school in hard shell open front boots. There's lots of pics of Anky warming up in white Eskadrons at shows. I really like the eskadrons as they are very washable and last for a very long time.

If you are having problems with shavings getting stuck in your boots you may want to try a pair first to make sure they really conform to your horse's legs so there's less chance of anything working its way up in there.

I jump and when schooling at home I use Eskadrons or the eskadron knock offs called Shedrow (much much cheaper and exactly the same boot)

For showing I have Veradus (both the regular kind and the sheepskin kind)

If you are having problems with shavings getting stuck in your boots you may want to try a pair first to make sure they really conform to your horse's legs so there's less chance of anything working its way up in there.

It's less about the wood chips getting up in there (although a few do through the bottom of her Classic Equines) than them getting all over them, especially with the fleece lining of her dressage boots, which collect the chips in the fleece around the edges and then I have to pick the pieces out.

I love the Eskadrons, and also especially the T-Boots which really seem to conform to the leg with their t-foam liners. With the hard shell I won't have little chips on there stuck like velcro!

I'm glad they're used for dressage schooling by other people (especially people like Anky, who I know wants her horses' legs well protected). I just want to be sure I'm not investing in something that would be wrong for what I'm doing, and at my barn people mostly use polos and school mostly in the arena? out on the x-c field I generally have the place to myself, and polos I'm sure would also collect chips out there!

Edited by e.s.dressage

You could also try the NEW airflow boots. They are designed for XC schooling and they help keep the legs much cooler than anything with a foam or neoprene lining. Just an idea since it is so hot there.

just adding to the pegasus boots why they are awesome. they have tendon support and protection, they are a wrap style so you dont get pressure points. they go all aroung (they have right and left but they can go back and front) and they are made from perforated scuba gear material. so its super strong, it doesnt tear. and it breathes, you can go in water with them and they just dry out, also because of the wrap style nothing can get in (dirt ect) and the material also is great for maintenance, because you just hose them off or throw them in the wash - i got a whole speel about them from my friend who owns a tack store, and for starting to carry them they gave her a trial pair and she fell in love. and they are used in all disciplines (western, jumping, eventing, dressage) they come in just about every color you can think of and they are cheap (mine were $90 canadian)

Thanks for all of the responses!

I saw a set of the T-boots that somebody at the barn has and she doesn't like them, so I ended up going with Eskadron ankle boots for the rear and the Lami-Cell Pro Gels for the front. I'm looking forward to trying them out when they arrive!