Sign in to follow this  
czarsmom

Yet Another Saddle Topic With A Twist (no Pun Intended)

I need the opinion of more experienced dressage riders than myself for this problem. I ride a very forward moving lipizzan cross green mare. It is difficult for me to keep my legs from coming forward when she really starts powering forward. I am riding in a wintec Isabell right now which I like but don't exactly love the way it fits either of us.

Interestingly enough, occasionaly during my equitation lessons I ride a schoolie and I will use a western saddle for s@@#ts and giggles. My seat improves immensely and I can really FEEL my seat bones and I feel like I can use my legs more effectively. The western saddle makes me open my hip joints more and it keeps me from pinching with my knees, arching my back, or sitting on my crotch. Is there a dressage saddle that is built with a wide twist that would simulate the way a western saddle makes you spread your hips? I can't buy anything with big thigh blocks or knee rolls because my trainer forbids it. She is an equitation nazi and does not allow any external aids to keep my position. I am lucky she allows me to have rubber treads in my irons and half chaps-seriously. I am test riding an old Albion this week to see how that works out, but I would like to hear from you folks if you have any ideas.

Jen

Hmmm... thats a tough one. I would try the Albion and see how that works. You might also want to try some saddles with a flatter seat. The deep seat can tip you forward and push your leg forward.