Debsnitz

Ever Think You Are Just Jinxed?

First 43's problems, then Squeaks got sick and had me very worried for a week. Then Tim on Thursday and now Mystyc.

She was fine yesterday. Tired after the long ride but seemed fine. This morning I did the "Walk for the Cure", came home to take a nap and then went to clean the barn.

Mystyc is standing in the paddock with tons of snot trailing from her nose, hanging clear down to the ground.

I got her into a stall, cleaned her nose, and blanketed her. I checked eyes,they are clear, ears and throat latch area for lumps. Nothing. She started coughing and gurgling so I massaged her neck and throat and she managed to bring up lots of phlegm. It's mostly clear and some milky white but no food partials and doesn't appear to be a choke problems.

She did poop but it is dry. Passed the pinch test and seems to be hydrated but I don't know when she last drank.

She wouldn't eat beet pulp at feeding time, even when I offered it by hand. She is now in solitary confinement and looks like I will have to get her to the vet tomorrow.

This is much more snot than I have ever seen from just a cold. I am very worried so cross your fingers that I am just over reacting.

Edited by LongingtoRun

Oh goodness!! You've had a heck of a time with the critters and TRB. Hope your girl gets to feeling better real soon. [Angel] [Angel] [Huggy] [Huggy]

They get Rhino and Flu vaccine, in fact they got it just 3 weeks ago but I don't do strangles. I only have one boarder and my horses aren't usually around horses I don't know, so I have never done it.

What worries me is that I transported 3 horses yesterday, from a rental stable and then transported my own horses. While they looked healthy, I didn't ask about if they had any recent outbreaks. I'm hoping that this isn't what could have happened.

Edited by LongingtoRun

I hope they didn't pick anything up from the other horses. I'm so sorry budd. [Huggy]

Oh no LTR! This is all you need! I'm sorry!

PLease keep us updated and for flip sake I hope your luck changes soon!

I really hate it when BB's have so much on their plates all at once! It makes me sad I can't drop by and offer a beer and take a night watch shift so you can get some rest!Very frustrating!

Daggumit!

[Huggy]

Well that stinks. Maybe call the people and see if any creeping crud is going through the barn? I hope she's ok.

I've been having luck where everything has hit me at once lately too. I feel your pain [Crazy] [Huggy]

How is 43 doing? I missed if you updated on him

Oh no LTR!!!

I hope she didn't pick something up from the other horses lady.

Let us know what's going on. It would be such a shame you doing

something so wonderful and then something bad happens. [Huggy]

Good thoughts coming all the way around.

How is 43 doing? I missed if you updated on him

Scapoose,

Xrays on 43 showed ringbone. But the most disturbing thing they found is he has rim fractures and degeneration of the coffin bone. Even if I can get him sound over the winter, he is now officially retired for anything except very light riding in an arena.

He HATES arena work and he really hates being left behind when everyone else is loaded up to go on a trail ride. My biggest challenge is going to be keeping him from running and pawing in the paddock when the other horses leave.

5:30am

It's now been 12 hours since she went on solitary confinement. She didn't eat or DRINK at all last night. Basically is standing in the corner of the stall and only moving around if I ask her to do so. Huge pile of snot on floor of stall and maybe only 4-5 small hard stools.

I can't get a hold of the vet until 8am but I am tempted to drive her down there on my way to work and leave her either in the trailer or if their outside pen is open, put her in there. If I wait to contact the vet until after I get to work, it will be this afternoon before I can get back home to bring her down the mountain and I don't want to take the chance that she doesn't drink anything until then.

(Basically just thinking out loud here guys. Ignore my rambling)

Of course a person doesn't know for sure until actually diagnosed by a vet.

But.

Some friends brought their horses out to chase cows a couple months ago.

All of their horses had it to some degree - but the one mare had kinda of a cold-flu thing (and yes the all had been innoculated) that had snot running out of her but more disturbing....the horse was in a totally depressed state and if the woman even tried to trot it for ten feet you could hear the mare burbling with totally congested lungs right across the arena.

It was kind of scarey actually because it sounded like each breath was going to be the horse's last....so yucky and wet sounding.

I'm normally not one to talk about animals or people getting sick because of a weather change - however these horses hadn't been exposed to any others so that was the only explanation we could think of.

Took her quite a while to get over it.

I guess what is most concerning is that the horse shows no interest in food or water over an extended period of time.

CR

Edited by Cactus Rose

Don't know where you are so I dont know what time it is (the times are messed up on HC anyway for me) but I would go with your outloud thinking and trailer her down there. It sounds like she needs a vet and sooner rather than later.

Keep us updated!

CRAP.

I would call the rental place and give them a heads up/see if they're seeing anything similar. Just in case. Could save you a lot of time and money.

But...if she's not drinking then she's probably going to need IV fluids. Poor kiddo.

Poor YOU! My goodness. You just can't catch a break these last few weeks. I will be jingling for you and all the critters.

oh no LTR,Lots of good thoughts! [Huggy] [Huggy] [Huggy] [Huggy] I'd definetly take her in sooner rather than later. I hope she starts feeling better soon.

[Angel] [Angel] [Angel] [Angel] [Angel] Prayers for you and poor Mystic.

Hope you can figure something out and get her in and checked out. Hoping for the best for you both.

Poor girl.

She is at the vets. No one was there when I dropped her off but I left a message with the emergency service and hopefully I will hear from them this morning.

Edited by LongingtoRun

She is at the vets. No one was there when I dropped her off but I left a message with the emergency service and hopefully I will hear from them this morning.

I hate to see vet bills piling up and all that - but I'm glad hauling to the vet was your final decision.

It's a peace of mind thing if nothing else.

[Huggy]

CR

CR,

I just couldn't take the chance that she wasn't going to drink and no one was there to keep an eye on her.

CR,

I just couldn't take the chance that she wasn't going to drink and no one was there to keep an eye on her.

I don't blame you.

I hope you hear from the vet soon and that its good news.

-I'm really sorry to hear about 43. I missed that update too. That really truly sucks. I'm so sorry.