Debsnitz

Ever Think You Are Just Jinxed?

Leaving work now for the vet's office to discuss what is going on. I won't be home until 6pm at the earliest to update you all.

Leaving work now for the vet's office to discuss what is going on. I won't be home until 6pm at the earliest to update you all.

Lots of luck.

Hey, if you want I can maybe take 43 down here on the flats for the winter or whenever it gets too slick. You could take Vista up and ride her (she's getting over her fits but can still be a little hot - you can totally handle it) if you want or not. Whatever.

I know you're worried about shoes on your slope.

Edited by mrs

I hadnt heard about 43. I cant say how sorry I am. I hope you both find a happy medium.

Many prayers for Poop for Mystic. Pneumonia is rough. Hope to hear good news soon.

Ok, this evenings update.

No poop as of the time I left at 5:30pm. From the bloodwork, it appears she hadn't eaten or drank anything in at least 24 hours from the time I took her in. That would make it that she started this whole thing late Saturday night or early Sunday morning.

More that likely what happened is she choked on her feed. While trying to clear the choke, she aspirated food into her lung. I didn't check on them on Sunday morning because I did the "Race for the Cure" walk in Denver. I didn't discover the problem until Sunday afternoon and she didn't appear to be in great distress. Just a very snotty nose. So I isolated her and planned to watch her throughout the night. I guess I should have called the vet then. [bang Head]

Now, we have two important deadlines. The first one is that she needs to pass a good amount of poop in the next 12 hours. She is completely impacted. They are doing pain management for the time being but that can not be done indefinitely. Someone from the vet clinic is staying with her overnight to keep an eye on her. If she doesn't start to move fecal matter by 7am tomorrow, they think surgery would be necessary. I can not afford that and it would leave me no choice but to put her down.

If she passes poop, the next critical deadline is 48 hours from the time they started giving her antibiotics. She needs to start to clear her lungs by then. Chances of her doing that are 85%. If the antibiotics don't work, they can do some more invasive procedures to do cultures of the infection but once again, I am looking at expenses that I'm not sure I can afford.

Right now her condition is still critical. We need it to be stable but guarded by morning.

[Angel] [Angel] [Angel] [Angel] [Angel]

I'm so sorry for all of this, LTR. My heart is breaking for you and Mystic. TONS of prayers and happy thoughts are coming your way tonight for poop ASAP and for her to start pulling out of this funk and start responding to treatment for the pnuemonia, etc.

Mystic will be consuming my thoughts and prayers tonight and from here on forward...PLEASE Mystic!

Huggs for you, my dear. [Huggy] [Huggy]

Edited by SweetCaroline

Oh My Gosh,

[Huggy]

I'm so sorry to hear about Mystic being in critical.

Don't blame yourself. Some horses are just more stoic than others and you just can't tell when they are in pain enough to treat them.

I'll be praying for you and Mystic tonight. [Huggy] [Angel] [Angel]

Oh no LTR! Honey I am praying as hard as I can for you and Mystyc!

[Huggy] [Huggy] [Huggy]

Gosh lady. I'm so sorry. I was reading this and was relieved that everything looked as if were going to be normal. I hate to see that last post. I hope she poops soon.

Jake (my TB) had something similar happen before TWICE. He would just hack up a ton of slimy snot out of his mouth and nose. It was awful. He'd get all sweaty and not eat. Lay down. Get up... more snot. He would wrench his neck out and you could see the trouble he had swallowing. The thing is, it would only last a couple hours and he'd be fine.

Did he work the choke out on his own or did you call a vet? If no vet, at what point would you call?

Oh, I was so hoping for a better update than this! More prayers heading your way. [Angel]

One question: Couldn't the vet give Mystyc an enema? Or is that contraindicated in a situation like hers?

Well its morning here. Still night for you I think.

I sure hope you are getting some poop.

I'll be thinking of you today. [Huggy] [Huggy] [Huggy]

[Angel] [Angel] [Angel]