Sign in to follow this  
jasonsmommy1@live.com

Gps

Been doing alot of trail riding in new places & after getting "kind of" lost was thinking about purchasing one just in case it ever really happened. The situation was after riding for 7 hours we found out the trail had been washed away, no notice anywhere! We didnt want to back track for 7 seven hours because it would of beenm well after dark! Well I knew I had heard cars so we started riding in that direction! When we came out to the road I put the address of where we had parked in my phone & we used the navigator to get us back to the truck! Lol, embarassing.... :ashamed0002:

Anyway... if any of you use them please make reccommendations! Thanks!

My boarder has one that is a wrist watch, but not a watch, a gps. She can download it into her computer and it will bring up a map of where we rode, exactly to the step. Distance, speed, time etc. All there. Very cool. But it's about $300. Something for runners/bikers. I'd love to have one, but I always have something better to do with $300.

Yeah thats kind of what I was thinking!But even though Im grown my mother is still on me about what I want for christmas & she never buys me stuff for the horses because she says we have too much already so what else is there really?! Was thinking I might tell her I wanted the gps & since its not tack I might actually get it!! :tongue9:

It's funny, I was just wondering the same thing today. There's a place we can ride near here where you can quite literally ride for hours w/out coming to a road. And, if you don't have someone w/you that knows the trails, you can end up lost. I was wondering what kind of GPS is out there for riders.

We use one all the time. It's a Garmin 76CSx, it's great even in thick timbers. We got lost in Southern Il ONE time, that prompted the purchase. It's neat, logs your entire trip, time stopped, average speed, fastest speed too.

Ours was abut 400 bucks 2-3 years ago.

Love my Garmins, have one in my car too.

I've had mine for about six months now (Garmin GPS Map 60CSx) and love it.

If you're going to use your GPS for cross-country, off-trail travel, then you'd want a topo map too (I haven't tried using topos on my GPS--I'm not sure I could read the topo on a 2" x 2" GPS screen. Plus topo maps take up a lot of memory space in the GPS).

In my posts, I usually put a link to the GPS track of my ride. This would allow another rider to download my ride into their GPS and then follow where I went. I dig coming back from a ride, uploading my GPS info to the website and seeing the Google Earth photo with my trail ride on it. Sometimes on the satellite photo I see other trails close by to where I rode that I didn't see from the trail, and which I plan to check out in the future.

Check out all the neato places people ride all around the world:

Everytrail.com - horseback trips

We use a Garmin Colorado 400t for trailriding. It has topo maps, color screen, and a really LARGE screen. The topo maps show roads and rivers which really helps when navigating the trails. It's very easy to use also.

Horsin! I'm IN LOVE with that website! I was just talking with my girlfriend last night about her Garmin and looked at a few of them. I can get one for $150 that will do what all I want it to do and I think I'm going to get one.

I have the same one as Horsing.. LOVE it. I use it alot just for trail riding. Even when I almost know where I am going just to track averages, speeds and miles. Than I lay my tracks over google earth and send the pic out to show everyone where I rode. It's a hoot.

We use a Garmin wrist match model that incorporates a Heart Rate Monitor which is excellent for Endurance training. I also have a hand-held that just clips onto a saddle d-ring. We love the download and share features and have developed quite a library of our trail rides. They are super for training and we never go in the mountains without one. One of my personal favorite features is being able to back track.